2016-2017 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When can we expect another batch of acceptances? Last year it looks like some were released the first Monday in December.

Members don't see this ad.

When can we expect another batch of acceptances? Last year it looks like some were released the first Monday in December.

Probably once they finish up the last interview date for December, which happens to be this Thursday. I'd expect for us to hear back this Friday or early next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear another round of acceptances went out today.

I hear another round of acceptances went out today.

Do you know when was the last time that they sent out IIs? I know they are being given out but since no one posts their news on SDN, I can't keep track.

Do you know when was the last time that they sent out IIs? I know they are being given out but since no one posts their news on SDN, I can't keep track.

I don't have much info that would help you out. Mine came in late October and I haven't been keeping track of it since then.

Reactions: 1 user
Any OOS acceptances?? Interviewed a while back and loved this school but its been silence ever since. Also how do notifications go out?

Any OOS acceptances?? Interviewed a while back and loved this school but its been silence ever since. Also how do notifications go out?

I received an OOS acceptance three weeks ago and interviewed early November. Scholarship email received a week ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was accepted today (in-state). I know of an OOS that was accepted today as well

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! But damn i liked this school and it looks like its time for me to give up +pity+

I'm not so sure about that! At my interview day, we were told explicitly that the timeline varied for applicants and not to be surprised if individuals among us were still waiting for a decision for months. I see you already have at least one acceptance in the bag, though, so congratulations are in order for you as well!

I wonder if UAB realizes that 70% of their applicants anxiety comes from their taunting holiday emails alone...

Reactions: 10 users
Also, has anyone heard of anything or spoken with admissions? Although I realize that SDN does not include every applicant to the program, no one has reported an II in over 8 weeks!

My status has been "reviewed and remain under consideration for interview" for what feels like forever now. I can't see any II going out before the new year, so I guess the waiting game continues. Really want to attend UAB, so fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm getting nervous, radio silence on the II front from UAB ... just those blood pressure elevating holiday and webinar invites. Anyone find anything out about first time applicants getting interviews in Jan/Feb?

Any information regarding interview invites for OOS applicants this late in the cycle?

OOS, New York City native
Secondary received and submitted September 22nd.
Interview Invite email received October 25th.
Interviewed December 1st.
Waiting to hear back!

OOS, New York City native
Secondary received and submitted September 22nd.
Interview Invite email received October 25th.
Interviewed December 1st.
Waiting to hear back!
did they say when the next decisions will go out?

did they say when the next decisions will go out?
No, but the school did say that their committee only meets once a month, so that should give some idea of how long it takes for them to give out an acceptance. The student that gave us the tour of the school also said that she had to wait a few months before hearing back.

I believe some of the acceptance dates so far are oct 28 (friday), nov 21 (monday), and dec 12 (monday), showing roughly 3 weeks between dates. So I am guessing one is coming up reaallllly soon...maybe wishful thinking though

Any Re-applicants seen a change in their application status?

Did UAB recently change their OOS policy or something? I'm very surprised to see so many OOS students applying and getting accepted.

^^ I bet the influx of OOS applications is due in a large part to the huge increase in OOS students in Tuscaloosa. The current freshman class is close to 60% OOS! With UA offering huge scholarships to high stat OOS students, there are now many more OOS pre-meds with "significant ties" to Alabama. I understand that Auburn, UAB and UAH also offer significant scholarships to OOS students.

If you are in-state, I wouldn't be too worried about the OOS acceptances. Remember, the OOS tuition at UAB is among the highest in the nation - higher than almost any private med school. Undoubtedly these OOS students are also applying to their home state medical schools and an assortment of private schools. To be admitted OOS to UAB you need stellar statistics to overcome the "home field" advantage. As a result, these students will be very strong candidates for their home state options and mid-tier privates.

Some OOS will matriculate due to love of UAB's programs, the warmer weather or maybe they acquired a significant other while attending school in Alabama. However, many will make a financial choice to attend elsewhere.

Last edited:
Some OOS will matriculate due to love of UAB's programs, the warmer weather or maybe they acquired a significant other while attending school in Alabama. However, many will make a financial choice to attend elsewhere.

While this is certainly true for the vast majority of applicants, veterans now receive IS tuition at any state school in the US, regardless of their residency. Alabama has a several bases and a fairly large National Guard component, so there are a few people out there with "ties to the state" that are technically OOS applicants but not for tuition purposes. I completely understand that the veteran application pool is very small (479 combined active duty and veteran applicants in 2014), but there are still a few folks for whom the OOS tuition rate is not a deciding factor. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Also, it pained me to watch the Bears this year. Hopefully we can at least use the third pick for something useful, like a QB lol

An interview invite from Bama this week would lessen the sting from tonight lol

Has anyone gotten any II/ acceptances?
I've got a feeling that all of UAB's admission staff went on a cross country run with Mr. Forrest Gump because it's been since before Halloween that there has been any news on here... Hopefully they make it back by the end of this month or so

Just received II yesterday, I'm an IS applicant LizzyM ~69. Secondary submitted 10.26. When asked to schedule, only two dates were available 1.19 and 2.16. I'm unsure if the 2.23 date is reserved for reapplicants. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
II! In state, reapplicant. Only day available was February 16th. LizzieM ~74

II! In state, reapplicant. Only day available was February 16th. LizzieM ~74
congrats! if you don't mind me asking... what did they suggest you improve on?

Does anyone know what the odds are of getting an II if you're instate and was waitlisted last year?

Accepted today! Interviewed 12/08

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did you receive an email? Is it on your portal?

I haven't checked my portal, but I received an email

Update: my portal now says "accepted - no campus assignment yet"

Last edited:
Accepted today as well! Interviewed in October

Congrats ALL with the recent acceptances!!

Is it worth calling to ask about your status if portal shows as "remain under consideration for interview"? I don't want to bother the admin if there is nothing else they can tell me than what the portal already says.

Been stuck at the post evaluation but no interview invite for a while now. Did anyone try calling the school? I keep getting the voicemail.