2016-2017 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gone through the medical wavier process yet? I need to submit a request and want to make sure I don't mess it up.

I haven't yet but I'm going to soon. The website says
"If you have been disqualified by DoDMERB, you are encouraged to apply for a waiver of your disqualifying medical condition. Although not everyone receives a waiver, many do. You will not know unless you ask!

Please keep in mind that each request for a waiver is considered on a case-by-case basis. All relevant information is considered when making a waiver decision.

To request a waiver, email the Commissioning Coordinator with your request. Your request may be very simple, like this:

I, [Name], am an applicant for the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine, and have been disqualified by DoDMERB. My preference for service is [Service Branch]. I would like to request a waiver of my medical condition.

When you request a waiver, it is to your advantage to submit any additional materials that put your physical condition in the best possible light. This might include notes from your primary care or specialty physician that provides background on the condition, the last time you were symptomatic with it, whether or not you currently require treatment or medication for it, or whether it impacts your daily activities.

Once you have requested a waiver, a physician or a series of physicians will look at your information and determine whether the condition would preclude active service with the military, both in medical school and afterwards, at home and abroad, now and in the future. If your condition is not felt to preclude successful practice as a military physician, you may be granted a waiver. If, on the other hand, your condition is not felt to be compatible with military service, your request for a waiver may be denied. Current or prior service in the military does not guarantee that your waiver will be approved." https://www.usuhs.edu/medschool/somfaq

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also am going to have to go through the waiver process soon, but I am having to send additional information to DoDMERB first. It feels like this is all taking forever, I had my physical completed by mid October!! I thought that would be plenty of time, but here I am starting to worry about the March 15th deadline to be qualified (I am currently on the waitlist). Part of it was that I didn't think to request my medical records a while back, but just did it when I got administrative remedials. For some reason I thought they did that themselves? Anyway, kicking myself for this.

I was actually thinking of contacting Dr. Auslander a little ahead of time to ask her what type of stuff I will need to do for the waiver and if there is anything I can do now while waiting on DoDMERB to make everything go faster. That is who I contact still right?

I also am going to have to go through the waiver process soon, but I am having to send additional information to DoDMERB first. It feels like this is all taking forever, I had my physical completed by mid October!! I thought that would be plenty of time, but here I am starting to worry about the March 15th deadline to be qualified (I am currently on the waitlist). Part of it was that I didn't think to request my medical records a while back, but just did it when I got administrative remedials. For some reason I thought they did that themselves? Anyway, kicking myself for this.

I was actually thinking of contacting Dr. Auslander a little ahead of time to ask her what type of stuff I will need to do for the waiver and if there is anything I can do now while waiting on DoDMERB to make everything go faster. That is who I contact still right?

Dr. Saguil actually let us know last month that there's a change in staff handling commissioning and physicals, so the new contact and email address to contact is Mrs. Michelle Anderson-Thomas / [email protected]

Good luck! I had to do administrative remedials as well, it's a pain.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Saguil actually let us know last month that there's a change in staff handling commissioning and physicals, so the new contact and email address to contact is Mrs. Michelle Anderson-Thomas / [email protected]

Good luck! I had to do administrative remedials as well, it's a pain.

Thanks! I was thinking there was maybe a new contact, but I looked through all my stuff and for the life of me could not find anything that listed a different contact.

Has anyone received any further communication from your branch yet? I have my unconditional acceptance but that's it -- I know we shouldn't expect to get orders for a while, but my understanding is that there's paperwork in advance of that. Any insight from current students about this process?

Hey guys I was put on the primary waitlist on December 15th. I placed army as my top priority. At this point do I still have a decent shot at getting in or should I pursue other options? Thanks!

Army healthcare recruiter here. I know this is a USUHS thread but if your also interested in HPSP let me know. Will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Hey guys I was put on the primary waitlist on December 15th. I placed army as my top priority. At this point do I still have a decent shot at getting in or should I pursue other options? Thanks!

I was placed on the waitlist the week before you. My understanding is there is large waitlist movement, particularly for Army.

Has anyone received any further communication from your branch yet? I have my unconditional acceptance but that's it -- I know we shouldn't expect to get orders for a while, but my understanding is that there's paperwork in advance of that. Any insight from current students about this process?
I'm Air Force and also have my unconditional acceptance. Haven't heard anything from them but I heard that we'll hear more after interviews are done.

Housing question for current students- where do a lot of students live? Like are most people close to the school, within 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc? Any particular apartments or areas to stay away from? I know BAH is going slightly down next year...

Housing question for current students- where do a lot of students live? Like are most people close to the school, within 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc? Any particular apartments or areas to stay away from? I know BAH is going slightly down next year...

This was a poll of where my class lives

You should be locked into whatever bah is when you first move, unless it goes up then you get more.

I'm aware of that. Last years BAH for 20814 for an O1 with no dependents was $2100, whereas now it's gone down to $1983. Not a huge jump, I've just been looking at numbers since I'm trying to figure out where to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
ROOM FOR RENT: I am writing this message on behalf of a navy personnel. He told me his house has a room for rent. Asking $850/month including all utilities and internet. It is in Columbia, MD, about 25-30 miles away from the campus. If anyone is interested, you can PM me, and I will give you his number.

ROOM FOR RENT: I am writing this message on behalf of a navy personnel. He told me his house has a room for rent. Asking $850/month including all utilities and internet. It is in Columbia, MD, about 25-30 miles away from the campus. If anyone is interested, you can PM me, and I will give you his number.

I'll give him $855 - no more no less.

Okay, I have a question for the Army applicants. I just discovered the brand-spanking-new AMEDD Direct Commission Course located in Fort Sill, which is, for those of you who don't know, a four week course designed to teach you to be a better, tougher, more disciplined soldier (as opposed to the training you get at Fort Sam) before you even go to BOLC. So this means that you have the four weeks of the DCC ON TOP OF AND PRIOR TO BOLC, starting this year. My question is, how is that going to work with USUHS? Will people have to wait until their second year to even go to BOLC? Can someone comment on this?

Okay, I have a question for the Army applicants. I just discovered the brand-spanking-new AMEDD Direct Commission Course located in Fort Sill, which is, for those of you who don't know, a four week course designed to teach you to be a better, tougher, more disciplined soldier (as opposed to the training you get at Fort Sam) before you even go to BOLC. So this means that you have the four weeks of the DCC ON TOP OF AND PRIOR TO BOLC, starting this year. My question is, how is that going to work with USUHS? Will people have to wait until their second year to even go to BOLC? Can someone comment on this?
This is the first that I've heard of this new program. I can tell you as a first year at USUHS that you will not have time for BOLC in the second year if you do not complete BOLC prior to matriculating into the school. I received the acceptance call a few days prior to BOLC last summer, leaving me no chance to have my orders processed in time for me to participate. As a result, I will most likely participate in BOLC upon graduating from USUHS. I would recommend asking your admissions counselor about DCC, and he or she may be able to answer your question or direct you to someone who can answer more completely. I hope this helps in some way. I remember my summer feeling lost prior to attending USUHS. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Don't quote me, but I think it's in place of BOLC. On interview day, we all received a paper that told us the dates for each branch's respective development school.

The dates we were given are:
Army BOLC: 11 Jun-10 July, Fort Sill, OK
Navy ODS 4 Jun- 7 Jul Newport, RI
Air Force COT: 26 Jun- 28 Jul, AL
Public Health: Rockville

Don't quote me, but I think it's in place of BOLC. On interview day, we all received a paper that told us the dates for each branch's respective development school.

The dates we were given are:
Army BOLC: 11 Jun-10 July, Fort Sill, OK
Navy ODS 4 Jun- 7 Jul Newport, RI
Air Force COT: 26 Jun- 28 Jul, AL
Public Health: Rockville
For Army those dates correspond to one of the AMEDD Direct Commission course. However, that specific course date is no longer listed on the ATRRS Schedule. The 11 Jun - 10 Jul course is listed as 'Nonconducted class'. The DCC course was never intended to replace BOLC but rather to replace BOLC A which is pre-commissioning training like prior service, USMA, ROTC, and OCS. Only one DCC course in 2017 is still listed currently - 12 Feb to 13 Mar 2017. All 2018 DCC courses at FT Sill are now listed as 'Nonconducted classes'.

My guess is they are rethinking the DCC concept or how to implement. It is likely USUHS students will still attend BOLC 10/11 June to 22 July 2017 as in previous years.

HopefulPilot is likely correct too... I know the previous USUHS President was trying to qualify the two medical field exercises and ongoing training that USUHS students complete while in school as credit for BOLC B. It is a great idea. BOLC B is worthless for the USUHS contingent. The shorter Direct Commission Course might still be necessary satisfying US Code Title 10 for those without pre-commissioning training already.

Edit: Maybe AMEDD BOLC B was good for those that never participated in any pre-commissioning training.

Last edited:
This is the first that I've heard of this new program. I can tell you as a first year at USUHS that you will not have time for BOLC in the second year if you do not complete BOLC prior to matriculating into the school. I received the acceptance call a few days prior to BOLC last summer, leaving me no chance to have my orders processed in time for me to participate. As a result, I will most likely participate in BOLC upon graduating from USUHS. I would recommend asking your admissions counselor about DCC, and he or she may be able to answer your question or direct you to someone who can answer more completely. I hope this helps in some way. I remember my summer feeling lost prior to attending USUHS. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
maleflutist - Assuming you are class of 2019 or 2020. Be careful considering AMEDD BOLC after graduation. For most residencies this will cause your completion to be 'off cycle' and some specialties will be resistant to a late start. Try to attend during one of your early 4th year rotations. USUHS needs to fix this scheduling issue and get every Army student into BOLC B prior to matriculation. It's an administrative issue to get the orders processed promptly that negatively impacts medical training and 'leave' time for students. USUHS could also fix this by qualifying their Army training over four years as credit for BOLC B.

Thanks guys! I was just curious as to how it would work. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

was waitlisted back in November (Navy as top choice). I sent an update letter last week, and yesterday I received an "applicants with remedial pending" email telling me that there's still some medical questionnaire that I need to complete. The thing is, the questionnaire was pending since October 18, but somehow USUHS chose to remind me a week after I submitted my update letter....

Is it possible that the admission office was trying to pull me off the waitlist, but then they realized that I'm still not cleared by DoDMERB? Or the timing is just coincidental and I'm thinking way too much because this waiting game has seriously driven me insane:bang:?

From what I've gathered, BOLC is no longer a requirement. USUHS attendance now replaces BOLC-B and DCC is for in incoming students with no military experience.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

From what I've gathered, BOLC is no longer a requirement. USUHS attendance now replaces BOLC-B and DCC is for in incoming students with no military experience.

ATRRS does not have an active DCC class open for this summer to transition the students with no military experience to USUHS. Hopefully they get this fixed.

This would be a great change for prior service, USMA and ROTC graduates that already completed pre-commissioning/introductory training. My understanding is the former USUHS President, Dr. Rice, was moving in this direction but I never saw any final action to implement the change before his departure. Are they giving constructive credit to USUHS students for BOLC to meet the Title 10 accessions requirements? Any suggestions as to a 'source' document for this change? Some current USUHS students are scheduled for AMEDD BOLC interfering with Required Clinical Rotations, leave, and other scheduled training.

ATRRS does not have an active DCC class open for this summer to transition the students with no military experience to USUHS. Hopefully they get this fixed.

This would be a great change for prior service, USMA and ROTC graduates that already completed pre-commissioning/introductory training. My understanding is the former USUHS President, Dr. Rice, was moving in this direction but I never saw any final action to implement the change before his departure. Are they giving constructive credit to USUHS students for BOLC to meet the Title 10 accessions requirements? Any suggestions as to a 'source' document for this change? Some current USUHS students are scheduled for AMEDD BOLC interfering with Required Clinical Rotations, leave, and other scheduled training.

I don't actually have a source document. This is information that I've gathered from trying to set up my orders. The information about DCC was sent in an email earlier this week.

Hey just wanted to let you know that communication with that email has been essentially non-existent. A couple weeks ago Dr. Saguil told everyone waiting for waivers that they are now being handled by the dean and the president of the school, and he invited us to use him as a point of contact - so I would email Dr. Saguil with your questions!

Pros and cons of USUHS vs HPSP?

:beat: more or less.... But it does depend on what you want out of life. A lot of the pros are cons for some people and vice-versa. How do you feel about military life, mil med, ownership of your soul for the next X years, etc?

I was asking more about the objective differences like money/pay, health insurance, other resources, etc... Maybe a student could comment on this

I was asking more about the objective differences like money/pay, health insurance, other resources, etc... Maybe a student could comment on this
Bunnyman's reply was pretty objective in the things you should consider, but because dead horses feel nothing, you are paid as an active duty officer at USU and not if you're HPSP elsewhere (includes relevant benefits such as healthcare and books). HPSP are paid a relatively small stipend.

Back when I was growing up, internet search wasn't a thing. Now it is.

edit: to my knowledge, HSPS students are not under the same health system as USU students-- but I'm not HPSP. Books are free at USU.

Bunnyman's reply was pretty objective in the things you should consider, but because dead horses feel nothing, you are paid as an active duty officer at USU and not if you're HPSP elsewhere (includes relevant benefits such as healthcare and books). HPSP are paid a relatively small stipend.

Back when I was growing up, internet search wasn't a thing. Now it is.

...useless

The pages towards the end (22 and on) have a straightforward comparison for some of the things that you asked about, such as pay.

As a rough summary....
Pay
USUHS- paid as O1, no tuition, roughly (including BAH, BAS, etc) $68,000
HPSP- 45 days of active duty pay, HPSP pays for school tuition, $2,000 monthly stipend roughly for 10.5 months, possible critical skills ascension bonus

Health Insurance
USUHS- completely covered (you and dependents)
HPSP- primarily only during active duty, not for the entire year

Obligation
USUHS- 7 year active duty minimum, plus reserves
HPSP- 4year, or length of residency (whichever is greater), plus reserves

https://www.usuhs.edu/sites/default/files/media/medschool/pdf/whatyouneedtoknow.pdf

When might be the last day that an applicant could be notified of an admission offer and still be able to attend BOLC/COT/Navy Officer Training this summer (2017) before beginning school here? I believe the Army's training starts pretty early (June 10th?) compared to the Air Force's. Would it be an issue of all the summer 2017 spots being filled or more an issue of timing (e.g. need X weeks to get signed up, so admission offer would have to be at least X weeks before training begins)? Or something else?

When might be the last day that an applicant could be notified of an admission offer and still be able to attend BOLC/COT/Navy Officer Training this summer (2017) before beginning school here? I believe the Army's training starts pretty early (June 10th?) compared to the Air Force's. Would it be an issue of all the summer 2017 spots being filled or more an issue of timing (e.g. need X weeks to get signed up, so admission offer would have to be at least X weeks before training begins)? Or something else?

Just from general Army experience, they can turn orders pretty fast. If you're available and all your security / Medical stuff is in order, I imagine they can pretty easily publish orders to BOLC 10 days out and have your seat in order. There'd be some ascension paperwork to catch up on while you're there, and there's PCS/travel considerations for actually getting to USUHS afterwards, but the Army can make it happen. It's more the PITA factor. Can't speak for the AF or Navy.

Dr. Saguil mentioned on our interview day that they had a student this last fall who was accepted on the first day of student orientation, and had to catch up with the rest of class. That's kinda nuts if you ask me, but they made it work!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any other applicants still waiting for a response after interviewing mid-November? Getting a little anxious here.

If you are accepted and not able attend to your respective training course due to scheduling constraints, you'll simply have to do it sometime before you graduate. In other words, even if you are accepted very late (as someone has said, as late as start of orientation), you'll commission and join us here anyway. No worries :)

Just from general Army experience, they can turn orders pretty fast. If you're available and all your security / Medical stuff is in order, I imagine they can pretty easily publish orders to BOLC 10 days out and have your seat in order. There'd be some ascension paperwork to catch up on while you're there, and there's PCS/travel considerations for actually getting to USUHS afterwards, but the Army can make it happen. It's more the PITA factor. Can't speak for the AF or Navy.

Dr. Saguil mentioned on our interview day that they had a student this last fall who was accepted on the first day of student orientation, and had to catch up with the rest of class. That's kinda nuts if you ask me, but they made it work!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you are accepted and not able attend to your respective training course due to scheduling constraints, you'll simply have to do it sometime before you graduate. In other words, even if you are accepted very late (as someone has said, as late as start of orientation), you'll commission and join us here anyway. No worries :)

Thank you both for the response! I wonder if, let's say, BOLC starts June 10th, and I find out June 1st that I have been accepted, will I be going to BOLC (and thus having to cancel a vacation I have hypothetically scheduled for June 12-16 :D), or will I be (a) unable to attend BOLC because my acceptance arrived too late to go this summer (either because there is not enough time to get the paperwork completed and/or the course is full), or (b) allowed to wait until the following year or later since the notice of acceptance is so close to the start of officer training? I wonder if students accepted super late in the game like this (i.e. right before COT or whatever begins) have an option to defer the officer training. I wouldn't think USUHS would afford me that choice except in extreme circumstances. These really are mostly unanswerable questions until the situation I describe actually unfolds, but if it does I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I really do appreciate your thoughts on it. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Finally decided to post. Got a phone call from Dr. Saguil on 1/10 of my conditional acceptance with the Air Force! :soexcited:Interviewed on 12/8. Looking forward to matriculating here in the fall!!!:)

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you both for the response! I wonder if, let's say, BOLC starts June 10th, and I find out June 1st that I have been accepted, will I be going to BOLC (and thus having to cancel a vacation I have hypothetically scheduled for June 12-16 :D), or will I be (a) unable to attend BOLC because my acceptance arrived too late to go this summer (either because there is not enough time to get the paperwork completed and/or the course is full), or (b) allowed to wait until the following year or later since the notice of acceptance is so close to the start of officer training? I wonder if students accepted super late in the game like this (i.e. right before COT or whatever begins) have an option to defer the officer training. I wouldn't think USUHS would afford me that choice except in extreme circumstances. These really are mostly unanswerable questions until the situation I describe actually unfolds, but if it does I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I really do appreciate your thoughts on it. Thanks again.

I believe June 1 would be a bit late for them to cut orders for you to make it to BOLC, but it's not unheard of to have a week or less of turnaround time- they can push orders out pretty quickly if someone up the food chain lights a fire under the Human Resources Command staff. You would likely not have the option to choose to defer, and even if you did I would highly recommend going to officer training before you matriculate. If you don't go the summer before your M1 year, you'll likely have to cut out at least one 3rd or 4th year summer rotation (potentially a residency interview rotation) to go, which I would value much more highly than going on a few days of vacation. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get in off the primary waitlist yet?

I believe June 1 would be a bit late for them to cut orders for you to make it to BOLC, but it's not unheard of to have a week or less of turnaround time- they can push orders out pretty quickly if someone up the food chain lights a fire under the Human Resources Command staff. You would likely not have the option to choose to defer, and even if you did I would highly recommend going to officer training before you matriculate. If you don't go the summer before your M1 year, you'll likely have to cut out at least one 3rd or 4th year summer rotation (potentially a residency interview rotation) to go, which I would value much more highly than going on a few days of vacation. Just my $0.02.
Totally agree! Thanks for your input. I would like to cancel [the vacation] sooner than a day or two before it's supposed to happen if I found out that in fact I am going to BOLC. And yea, I didn't think a sort of "deferment" by choice would be possible...lol, I don't know what came over me to even have that thought!

Who has heard back from December interviews?