2016-2017 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected pre-II today. Congrats to all of those that are going on to serve the greatest country on Earth!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the general reputation of this school compared to just doing HPSP at a 2nd tier to top tier civilian med school?

In light of the Army-Navy game today, I would just like to say......GO NAVY!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just to clarify how the 7 year minimum commitment works:

7 years of service *after* residency training. Each year of residency requires another year of service, but you're serving at the same time so it's a wash?

In light of the Army-Navy game today, I would just like to say......GO NAVY!!!

I believe they allow you to switch branches, just in case you want to join the winning side

Reactions: 5 users

7 years of service *after* residency training. Each year of residency requires another year of service, but you're serving at the same time so it's a wash?

Pretty much. From how it's been explained to me, residency incurs an additional service obligation that runs concurrently to existing ones (like the 7 years post-residency USUHS obligation) so it's a wash. Either way, the planning factor is 7 years post-residency residency.

That is correct. You will sign a USUHS contract obligating you to seven years of service in the military post-residency. Your residency training also incurs an obligation, but they are served at the same time. The caveat here is if your total training time (residency +/- fellowship) lasts longer than 7 years, then you owe that amount of time.

For instance: general surgery internship plus residency (6 years) plus a thoracic surgery fellowship (3 years) = 9 years of obligatory service after completing your training. For the vast majority of people, your training will not exceed 7 years; surgical subspecialties requiring a fellowship and other niche fields are really the only way you would incur a >7 year obligation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/10

Accepted Yesterday (Army)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all!

I interviewed at USUHS last week and absolutely fell in love with the school. However, I am not feeling super confident about my interviews and was wondering if applicants can be rejected over mediocre interviews.

As far as my stats, I went to a competitive undergrad school with a gpa between 3.85-3.9, am a grad student (current gpa 4.0), and have an MCAT score between 510-515. I also have pretty good ECs and work experience.

Could a mediocre interview result in rejection?

Thank you!

Interviewed 10/27. Received letter that I was waitlisted. My #1 choice was Army. Anyone know if anything can be done to increase chances of getting off the waitlist at USUHS or is just a waiting game now? This school is my #1 choice.

Interviewed 10/27. Received letter that I was waitlisted. My #1 choice was Army. Anyone know if anything can be done to increase chances of getting off the waitlist at USUHS or is just a waiting game now? This school is my #1 choice.

My impression is that USUHS really wants students who want to go there and are enthusiastic about the school and military medicine. Based on previous years threads, it seems like staying in touch with admissions and Dr. Saguil and continuing to express your interest and commitment have worked well for people on the waitlist. And if they really are your first choice, I would say so. Historically, USUHS gets a good amount of waitlist movement and Army moves the most, so you're probably in a pretty good spot. Best of luck!

Still nothing from my 10/27 interview. Should I be concerned or does waiting this long seem normal for USUHS?

Same... Do you think they are only giving out waitlist spots at this point as well??

At this point in the year, interviewing for the waitlist is the norm. This is typical for USUHS, so don't get worried. The school historically has 171 seats in each class, and therefore, at a maximum they can have 171 applicants accepted at any given time. There is absolutely no wiggle room, since students are funded by taxpayer dollars and Congress doesn't like it when you're over your budget. Most other schools admit 1.5-2x as many applicants as they anticipate will matriculate; USUHS does not have that luxury. There will be plenty of waitlist movement in the coming months as other schools send out decisions.

Did you get a letter through email or snail mail?

The school historically has 171 seats in each class, and therefore, at a maximum they can have 171 applicants accepted at any given time
That's the most government thing I've ever read

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't feel good about mine and had similar stats to you and got in. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only difference is that I interviewed at the beginning of the season, so that might factor in because of their limited seats.

Hi all!

I interviewed at USUHS last week and absolutely fell in love with the school. However, I am not feeling super confident about my interviews and was wondering if applicants can be rejected over mediocre interviews.

As far as my stats, I went to a competitive undergrad school with a gpa between 3.85-3.9, am a grad student (current gpa 4.0), and have an MCAT score between 510-515. I also have pretty good ECs and work experience.

Could a mediocre interview result in rejection?

Thank you!

Does anyone happen to know when we actually commission before ODS? As in when do they usually send us the paperwork and how does it work from there?

I was told I'm on the primary waitlist today. I know the waitlist moves a lot especially for army! Good luck!

Does usuhs accept updates? And if so send them to where?

Does usuhs accept updates? And if so send them to where?
They seem to be very receptive to updates, especially from waitlisted applicants. I would get in touch with your admissions counselor and see what format they prefer -- in my experience they're very responsive to emails.

Does anyone happen to know when we actually commission before ODS? As in when do they usually send us the paperwork and how does it work from there?

In general I believe you can commission a few weeks or a few months before ODS depending on whether or not you get the paperwork and fulfill the requirements for the Oath of Office. I think it basically boils down to you must have an officer or officer veteran administer the oath to you. Can be a good photo op moment if you choose to.

I commissioned a few days into ODS...hah...since my orders and paperwork didn't really come through until then. However, the ODS people are in good contact with USUHS and you should be able to get onto base without much trouble should the worse come to pass.

I went to the May ODS when I was originally slated for June so that might have been one of the reasons for me not getting my paperwork and commissioning stuff until I was actually in Newport.

Hi guys, I was just wondering, does anyone know what are the chances of getting off the waitlist of Air Force? It seems high for Army but I haven't heard much for air force or navy.

Sorry if this has already been asked - I went through this thread page by page and couldn't find much information...

What is the admissions process for applicants who ranked PHS as their top choice? From what I gleaned earlier on in this thread, they get accepted first into USUHS and told about PHS later on?

Thanks, folks!

What is the admissions process for applicants who ranked PHS as their top choice?

Additional interviews with officers of the PHS.

For Indian Health Service, an additional interview with the head PHS faculty at USUHS and then a set of phone interviews with other PHS officers.

For the NIH/Immunology slot. The one's stated above plus an additional series of interviews with a panel from the NIH. This slot is by far the hardest and the NIH does not have to fill that position every year.

Has anyone gone through the medical wavier process yet? I need to submit a request and want to make sure I don't mess it up.