2016-2017 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jk just got deferred too :(
Oh well... hopefully something comes of it

Members don't see this ad.

Another deferred applicant checking in. interviewed 03/02

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interview March 2nd... looks like a lot of us got deferred lol

Just got deferred via email. Interviewed in early March. If you get accepted I think you get a phone call.
ME TOO...I interviewed on March 2nd too. DEFERRAL IS SUCH A COP OUT. LIKE GIVE ME AN ACTUAL DECISION. Do medical schools not understand that our entire lives depend on these decisions. I can't sign a lease, I can't move, I can't tell my boss what I'm doing and when I'm leaving, being in limbo is worse than not knowing. And, I feel like being deferred was their way of saying no, without saying no. I have no evidence of that so nobody freak out, that's just my perception.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to bug you guys on the Tufts thread just had some questions for anyone in the know:

How does Tufts view reapplicants? I haven't applied to Tufts before but I'll probably be reapplying next cycle

Also, is there a residential preference for applicants from the Northeast?

Sorry to bug you guys on the Tufts thread just had some questions for anyone in the know:

How does Tufts view reapplicants? I haven't applied to Tufts before but I'll probably be reapplying next cycle

Also, is there a residential preference for applicants from the Northeast?

I was a reapplicant after sitting in waitlist purgatory the previous year, I also didn't apply to tufts my first cycle, and I am from nowhere close to the northeast. That being said a lot of our class is from the northeast, but that may be as much selection bias on their part as it is tufts liking people from the north east. The numbers also get thrown off by the fact that Maine track exists and likes people from Maine or ties to Maine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was a reapplicant after sitting in waitlist purgatory the previous year, I also didn't apply to tufts my first cycle, and I am from nowhere close to the northeast. That being said a lot of our class is from the northeast, but that may be as much selection bias on their part as it is tufts liking people from the north east. The numbers also get thrown off by the fact that Maine track exists and likes people from Maine or ties to Maine.

Thanks!

Hey all! Deferred since December (Maine Track). Still holding my breath like all of you. I hope everyone is doing well who is still waiting. We will hear back eventually we just need to keep looking forward and in the meantime take full advantage of our experiences we are currently involved with and never lose sight of our passion for medicine. Keep the faith!

Reactions: 4 users
ME TOO...I interviewed on March 2nd too. DEFERRAL IS SUCH A COP OUT. LIKE GIVE ME AN ACTUAL DECISION. Do medical schools not understand that our entire lives depend on these decisions. I can't sign a lease, I can't move, I can't tell my boss what I'm doing and when I'm leaving, being in limbo is worse than not knowing. And, I feel like being deferred was their way of saying no, without saying no. I have no evidence of that so nobody freak out, that's just my perception.
I am right there exactly! I really really really wanted the Maine Track and the living in purgatory is really killing me... I have nightmares that I accept at another school and then the day after I get and acceptance to another program I am deferred at!

Hey all! Deferred since December (Maine Track). Still holding my breath like all of you. I hope everyone is doing well who is still waiting. We will hear back eventually we just need to keep looking forward and in the meantime take full advantage of our experiences we are currently involved with and never lose sight of our passion for medicine. Keep the faith!
We should have a deferred Maine track party! On another note, maybe someone can interpret this for me. Someone from Maine Med Center viewed my linked in two days ago... coincidence? Am I crazy?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We should have a deferred Maine track party! On another note, maybe someone can interpret this for me. Someone from Maine Med Center viewed my linked in two days ago... coincidence? Am I crazy?
Even if it was someone from Tufts, nothing you can do about it now. Don't perseverance over it!

Where is my financial aid package? Mid Aprilis here.

Reactions: 5 users
I am right there exactly! I really really really wanted the Maine Track and the living in purgatory is really killing me... I have nightmares that I accept at another school and then the day after I get and acceptance to another program I am deferred at!

Well congratulations on having acceptances to other schools! Thats awesome. The Maine track is my last hope. Fortunately I have two jobs lined up if I dont get in and lots of community work with substance use disorder to continue with in my area.

So this was in the Bangor Daily News the other day...
Resized_20170412_140124.jpg

So this was in the Bangor Daily News the other day...

That is such a confusing piece of writing. Honestly nothing about it makes any sense. I read it four times, and I'm not quite sure what any of it means.

That is such a confusing piece of writing. Honestly nothing about it makes any sense. I read it four times, and I'm not quite sure what any of it means.
Those are the exact words out of my mouth when my wife showed it me, and the reason I didn't post it two days ago.

Got my financial aid package today, I think I'll be withdrawing from here to attend somewhere more affordable. Good luck to everyone!

Got my financial aid package today, I think I'll be withdrawing from here to attend somewhere more affordable. Good luck to everyone!
Sorry to hear that, they normally only give need based aid dependent on your parents income, but yeah this school is crazy expensive.

Sorry to hear that, they normally only give need based aid dependent on your parents income, but yeah this school is crazy expensive.
I did get need-based aid of 30k, but I got the same at a higher ranked school that has a much lower cost of attendance. So that decided it for me.

I did get need-based aid of 30k, but I got the same at a higher ranked school that has a much lower cost of attendance. So that decided it for me.
thats near the max they give out for aid. Im happy you got other options that is both cheaper and you would be happy attending

I haven't gotten my financial aid yet, but I hope they'll give that 30k to me!

Anyone who is familiar with the area the school is around can suggest a affordable College/University near by via train/bus that someone looking to do a DIY postbac can find? My best friend wants to give medschool another shot but needs to do a postbac and wanted to split living with me if he can do it somehwere close by me.

Tufts its crunch time and I havent gotten my aid information as yet ....

Anyone who is familiar with the area the school is around can suggest a affordable College/University near by via train/bus that someone looking to do a DIY postbac can find? My best friend wants to give medschool another shot but needs to do a postbac and wanted to split living with me if he can do it somehwere close by me.
Check out the Premedical Program at Harvard Extension School. Right on the red line train system. Most of the classes are at night, most are recorded, some can even be done remotely. Lots of flexibility to work and take classes at the same time. Very affordable. Downside is you don't get a degree.

Check out the Premedical Program at Harvard Extension School. Right on the red line train system. Most of the classes are at night, most are recorded, some can even be done remotely. Lots of flexibility to work and take classes at the same time. Very affordable. Downside is you don't get a degree.
Someone just told me about this which sounds great, the only question I have is if they allow you to take only Upper level courses if you already went through the whole pre-med classes so someone who already have gen chem, gen physics, orgo biochem,anotomy, micro etc. Can they still enroll in this program and take higher level classes .

Someone just told me about this which sounds great, the only question I have is if they allow you to take only Upper level courses if you already went through the whole pre-med classes so someone who already have gen chem, gen physics, orgo biochem,anotomy, micro etc. Can they still enroll in this program and take higher level classes .
Yes they do, that's exactly what I did. I had my pre-reqs done in college so I just took some more classes to make my application more competitive.

I second Harvard Extension! Definitely a great program.

Reactions: 1 users
I know FA office made it sound like they were sending out awards last week...

Someone reported to have gotten aid last week Friday, I am just wondering where mine at because times is moving quickly and decision day is around the corner .

Impossible decision but ended up withdrawing from here, good luck to everyone!

Anyone know what is going on with the financial packages? Getting pretty late and this school is expensive as hell you would think they would try to get that out as soon as possible.

Anyone know what is going on with the financial packages? Getting pretty late and this school is expensive as hell you would think they would try to get that out as soon as possible.

I would definitely call them at this point.

Just called and confirm the financial aid will me mailed out to us by the end of the week.

So everyone should get it by Monday -Tuesday

If you call the Tufts financial aid office and request them to send it to you via email, they can make a note of that and do that instead. I called and asked because I was getting impatient yesterday, 4/19, and I received an email today, 4/20, with my award. Hope this helps!

Matriculating to tufts as an M1 in a month, traditional MD track. Also lived in Boston for many many years. Feel free to ask me anything about the process, Boston, etc. As school begins I can try to answer more specific questions about student life.

Best place to live in the area?

Best place to live in the area?
I'm not the original poster, but I am also from Boston and spent a lot of time looking at apartments for next year. It depends on what you're looking for, your budget, your ideal mode and length of commute, etc. Lots of students live in Jamaica Plain, which is a relatively short commute on the orange line and is pretty affordable. Students who want to walk to class often live in the South End or downtown Boston, which can be pretty expensive. A good amount of students live in Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford, which are north of the city and on train/bus routes but are more affordable in many cases than living in Boston. A little bit further out, I think some students live in South Boston (pretty expensive), Fenway/Allston/Brighton (less expensive), or East Boston (less expensive). There is also the Beacon Hill and Back Bay area which can be expensive but you can easily walk to campus from there. Each neighborhood has kind of a different vibe, so it really depends on what works best for you.

Housing Resources | Tufts University School of Medicine
http://medicine.tufts.edu/~/media/TUSM/PDF/Housing and Posner Hall/MDBostonHousing-Graph2.pdf
http://medicine.tufts.edu/~/media/TUSM/PDF/Housing and Posner Hall/neighborhood_descriptions.pdf

I'm not the original poster, but I am also from Boston and spent a lot of time looking at apartments for next year. It depends on what you're looking for, your budget, your ideal mode and length of commute, etc. Lots of students live in Jamaica Plain, which is a relatively short commute on the orange line and is pretty affordable. Students who want to walk to class often live in the South End or downtown Boston, which can be pretty expensive. A good amount of students live in Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford, which are north of the city and on train/bus routes but are more affordable in many cases than living in Boston. A little bit further out, I think some students live in South Boston (pretty expensive), Fenway/Allston/Brighton (less expensive), or East Boston (less expensive). There is also the Beacon Hill and Back Bay area which can be expensive but you can easily walk to campus from there. Each neighborhood has kind of a different vibe, so it really depends on what works best for you.

Housing Resources | Tufts University School of Medicine
http://medicine.tufts.edu/~/media/TUSM/PDF/Housing and Posner Hall/MDBostonHousing-Graph2.pdf
http://medicine.tufts.edu/~/media/TUSM/PDF/Housing and Posner Hall/neighborhood_descriptions.pdf
Which one of those places you listed in general Is the cheapest place to live .

Which one of those places you listed in general Is the cheapest place to live .
Allston/Brighton, some of Roxbury, some of Jamaica Plain, Somerville, and Medford are probably the most affordable and relatively safe places to live. You can get cheaper than that if you really want to, but in not-so-safe neighborhoods.

Boston Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com (click "Rental Price")

Edit: I know some people live in Malden too, which can be right on the Orange Line that goes directly to the front door of Tufts Medical Center, and the rent is probably the lowest out of any of those choices.

is there a reason the health insurance is soo expensive ?? Like is it amazing coverage ?

How did you guys find/download the Health insurance waiver form? I got an email about it but there's no working links or attachments in it.