2016-2017 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?
Yes/No
Please explain briefly (1000 characters or less).

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?
Yes/No

3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).
Yes/No

4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)
Yes/No

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could apply for consideration in both the regular program and the Maine track! Oh well...

Members don't see this ad :)
What's stopping you from applying?

Nothing! I was wrong! From the Tufts site:

Individuals who apply to the Maine Track will be reviewed for the two separate tracks: the Maine Track and the traditional MD Track. Applicants for the Maine Track will be interviewed at Maine Medical Center in Portland, ME. Applicants for the traditional MD Track will be interviewed at TUSM in Boston. Applicants can be selected to interview at both sites and be considered for admission to both Tracks.

Reactions: 1 users
Individuals who apply to the Maine Track will be reviewed for the two separate tracks: the Maine Track and the traditional MD Track. Applicants for the Maine Track will be interviewed at Maine Medical Center in Portland, ME. Applicants for the traditional MD Track will be interviewed at TUSM in Boston. Applicants can be selected to interview at both sites and be considered for admission to both Tracks.
As this says, applying for Maine also puts you in the running for Traditional. The only difference, unless it's changed this year, is additional essays for Maine track applicants.

As this says, applying for Maine also puts you in the running for Traditional. The only difference, unless it's changed this year, is additional essays for Maine track applicants.

Yup! I was under the impression I had to choose but I was wrong.

Anyone else here waitlisted at Tufts, or have they heard any news of movement on the waitlist?

Good luck to all!

What is Tuft's view on doing prereqs at a CC? I maintained my GPA after transfer.

According to msar, cc credits are accepted for prereqs

I hear ya. I was actually going to say something snarky about cc credits as prereqs in general being frowned upon. Glad I looked first ;)

If it's just a couple, you could get them in over the spring/summer after you've felt out how interviews go. I would call the admissions office to ask about the policy and, if it matters, if you can/should you indicate that you will complete them before matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the avg MCAT/GPA here? I couldn't find it on their website and the MSAR only has the median. Thanks!

What are the avg MCAT/GPA here? I couldn't find it on their website and the MSAR only has the median. Thanks!
Why are you more interested in average than median?

Reactions: 1 user
My advisor told us that Tufts traditionally sends out secondaries around July 15. We might have a little time to wait, which I am honestly thankful for because I got 6 secondaries yesterday and 3 at the end of last week.

Maine resident here! My family have been professional lobster fishermen for generations, but I am the black sheep of the family. I am incredibly interested in the Maine track program and want to help my medically underserved community in the mid-coast. Anyone else applying to the Maine track?

@mac22 I plan to! I haven't lived in Maine for years but I was actually born in Maine Medical Center! I think it would be cool to get to do my clinical rotations in the hospital I was born at :)

may you post the prompts please? :)

I'm at work, but it's the same as last year. They ask if you would contribute to the diversity of the class, and if you say yes, they give you 1000 characters to explain why.

I think there was also a question about if you've interrupted studied during undergrad, questions about of your parents are alumni, if you've participated in any programs at Tufts, and then finally you fill in a page of your courses to show that you've satisfied the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

Secondary prompts:

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?
Yes/No

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?
Yes/No

3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).
Yes/No

4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)
Yes/No

Reactions: 2 users

Is this somewhere I can put the new shadowing experience I've started and a manuscript I've submitted for publication since the AMCAS app? Or is this more about explaining upward GPA trends, things about you, etc.? Any input is appreciated!

Is this somewhere I can put the new shadowing experience I've started and a manuscript I've submitted for publication since the AMCAS app? Or is this more about explaining upward GPA trends, things about you, etc.? Any input is appreciated!

I took the "any comments" part as an invitation to address literally anything, past or present as long as it isn't clearly extant in your AMCAS already.

Question!

For the diversity essay, is this question asking, what is unique about you as an individual, or is it referring to diversity in the sense of "are you an URM?"

Question!
For the diversity essay, is this question asking, what is unique about you as an individual, or is it referring to diversity in the sense of "are you an URM?"
The former. How are you as a person, with your experiences, background, hobbies, etc going to add to the incoming class. If that happens to be that you are a first generation college student, LGBTQ, or raised by a pack of wild squirrels, etc discuss it, but it's not limited to those factors.

I took the "any comments" part as an invitation to address literally anything, past or present as long as it isn't clearly extant in your AMCAS already.

Question!

I'm going with the first one! I'm not URM, but both of my parents are artists and I live on a farm, so I'm writing about that because there are qualities I feel I've gained from my unique upbringing that would contribute to the school. I guess the broadness of their questions is to allow for answers wherever/however we see fit.

Does anyone have any information about the MD/MA program? I am very interested but I can't find anywhere that says acceptances are like the Maine program (if I apply MD/MA I will still be considered for just MD).

What are you guys putting for is there anything else you'd like us to know question? I always feel I should put something there but I also don't want to put in useless information.

What are you guys putting for is there anything else you'd like us to know question? I always feel I should put something there but I also don't want to put in useless information.

I put what I'm doing for my gap year. If that doesn't apply, I suppose it could also be used for explaining any academic fluctuations, or just a 'why Tufts' essay (though I loathe writing those ones).

I'm kinda torn about the Maine Track. I'm a Maine resident and I fully plan on remaining in the southern ME/NH area, but I have no interest in rural medicine.

From what I read from previous years people use it mainly for either gap year updates or "Why Tufts."

It's only been a couple weeks since the primary, so I can't imagine many people have anything very substantial to add. I actually do have a lot of connections to the undergrad school and I'm using that as the basis of why Tufts. I don't know if it's worth it, though, since they're not really that closely related.

I'm at work, but it's the same as last year. They ask if you would contribute to the diversity of the class, and if you say yes, they give you 1000 characters to explain why.

I think there was also a question about if you've interrupted studied during undergrad, questions about of your parents are alumni, if you've participated in any programs at Tufts, and then finally you fill in a page of your courses to show that you've satisfied the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you should probably select "yes".

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you should probably select "yes".
Yeah I'm guessing answering "No" might get your app tossed out.

Yeah I'm guessing answering "No" might get your app tossed out.
Or, they may be so intrigued by such a ballsy answer, they call you in for an interview to explain yourself.

Or, they may be so intrigued by such a ballsy answer, they call you in for an interview to explain yourself.
By being the only person who answered no, you would bring diversity.

Reactions: 4 users
I used the extra space to talk about my ****ty freshman and sophomore grades and what I did to improve. If I didn't feel compelled to do that I would have used it for a bit on why Tufts.

I strongly suggest you say yes to the diversity prompt. Just about everyone should have a diversity essay for another school that requires one anyway. I can't imagine saying no would go over well at all.

How did you all complete the prereq page of the secondary? I was thinking to list the course name followed by the course number in parentheses...was wondering if that was all they wanted?

Also, I was also wondering about the two "Biology" sections. Is the first just asking for intro classes (like general biochem, intro bio, etc) vs the later section is for more focused classes (like cell bio, genetics, etc)?

How did you all complete the prereq page of the secondary? I was thinking to list the course name followed by the course number in parentheses...was wondering if that was all they wanted?

Also, I was also wondering about the two "Biology" sections. Is the first just asking for intro classes (like general biochem, intro bio, etc) vs the later section is for more focused classes (like cell bio, genetics, etc)?

That's pretty much exactly what I did, course # and title. For the first bio I listed intro classes. For the later bio I listed an advanced course and time spent in a molecular biochemistry laboratory.

I used the extra space to talk about my ****ty freshman and sophomore grades and what I did to improve. If I didn't feel compelled to do that I would have used it for a bit on why Tufts.

I strongly suggest you say yes to the diversity prompt. Just about everyone should have a diversity essay for another school that requires one anyway. I can't imagine saying no would go over well at all.

Just make sure you aren't spending too much time justifying the lousy grades and more time explaining what you did to get better.

As for the diversity essay, Tufts is in the Top 5 most applied to programs in the country. Last year they had around 10k completed secondaries and just under 1k get interviews. If you don't complete any essays, you're relying on your primary alone to make you stand out more than 90% of the other applicants.

Just make sure you aren't spending too much time justifying the lousy grades and more time explaining what you did to get better.

Definitely. I've been using the same paragraph for most schools. Basically says that early on I was not a good student, then I was motivated by X and Y, and I took A, B and C steps to improve. Then something about how fulfilling it was to get straight As for the first time and how that made me want to continue my education, etc.

As for the diversity essay, Tufts is in the Top 5 most applied to programs in the country. Last year they had around 10k completed secondaries and just under 1k get interviews. If you don't complete any essays, you're relying on your primary alone to make you stand out more than 90% of the other applicants.

I agree with you. I also just think its a terrible look to just say no to that question. Its basically like if you are at an interview and they say "tell me something interesting about yourself!" and you are the guy who says "there is nothing interesting about me."

How is everyone filling out the competency page? Just writing I graduated as a bio major demonstrating competency in Biology. Or are you guys writing a paragraph?