2016-2017 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey so for those of y'all that got an offer: Have y'all done anything other than the placement fee, the background check, accept the offer, and apply for scholarships?

Also: Has anyone heard about whether or not we will be invited back sometime before orientation?

Members don't see this ad.

Are all Texas Tech Medical Schools are on same schedule for orientation
& class starting dates?
I'm not sure if they are all on the same schedule but the academic calendar says that Orientation is Aug 2nd - Aug 4th, and then classes start the Monday after that. I went to the home page, and then curriculum, and there they have the calendar.

Hey so for those of y'all that got an offer: Have y'all done anything other than the placement fee, the background check, accept the offer, and apply for scholarships?

That's all I've done, just need to send in final transcripts.

Also: Has anyone heard about whether or not we will be invited back sometime before orientation?

I got the e-mail about Spring Training, but that's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two MOT students are looking for a 3rd roommate for a cute house 10 min from TTUHSC. Message me if you are interested! I can send you a link to photos of the house too. We will be moving in closer to the end of May.

For people that were accepted off of the waitlist last year:

When did you first hear you were on the wait list?

In addition, when did you get accepted off of the wait list?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone who didn't match signing up for the reapplicant seminar?

For people that were accepted off of the waitlist last year:

When did you first hear you were on the wait list?

In addition, when did you get accepted off of the wait list?

Thank you

I think people last year got the WL email on the 25th of March.

It's Mid-March. I wonder when are they gonna send out the WL.

I called them last week and they said in about a week. Can someone call and check in with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them last week and they said in about a week. Can someone call and check in with them?

Did you ask them when their waitlist will be released or when to expect seeing waitlist movement?

Did you ask them when their waitlist will be released or when to expect seeing waitlist movement?
They can't be expecting waitlist movement without generating a WL first, right? haha.

But in any case, I asked them when the waitlist will be released.

Got the alternate pool email about 30 minutes ago

Waitlisted as well, OOS applicant

Are you all still planning to apply again in May? We may not hear back from the waitlists until after the apps have reopened for this new cycle. Just want to see what others are doing.

Are you all still planning to apply again in May? We may not hear back from the waitlists until after the apps have reopened for this new cycle. Just want to see what others are doing.
I have been considering it, but I will decide in late April. In the mean time, I will be reviewing some of my MCAT materials.

Last edited:
Can anyone check what the MSAR for this school says in regards to amount of people on the waitlist and amount accepted off of the list?

My membership ran out a couple days ago. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone check what the MSAR for this school says in regards to amount of people on the waitlist and amount accepted off of the list?

My membership ran out a couple days ago. Thanks in advance!

I read through last year's thread. Looks like "just under 200" was the waitlist amount and it was said they "usually" take 15-25 off the waitlist and in the past that number has extended to 50.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just a question from the uninformed...Can we reapply to schools where we are still on the waitlist (i.e. reapply to Texas Tech for the 2018 cycle when the application opens in May, even though I will likely still be on the waitlist for 2017)?

Just a question from the uninformed...Can we reapply to schools where we are still on the waitlist (i.e. reapply to Texas Tech for the 2018 cycle when the application opens in May, even though I will likely still be on the waitlist for 2017)?

Yes.

I read through last year's thread. Looks like "just under 200" was the waitlist amount and it was said they "usually" take 15-25 off the waitlist and in the past that number has extended to 50.

I don't think that is necessarily true. I heard that they put enough people on the waitlist to fill a third of the class. So around 50-100 maybe??

I don't think that is necessarily true. I heard that they put enough people on the waitlist to fill a third of the class. So around 50-100 maybe??

Im basically just quoting what admissions said to people last year when they called. Not sure otherwise honestly.

Remember, this means that 15-25 students in the class were originally from the waitlist, not that they accepted only 15-25 students from said waitlist. The actual number of acceptances is more than likely double that number.

Reactions: 2 users
Remember, this means that 15-25 students in the class were originally from the waitlist, not that they accepted only 15-25 students from said waitlist. The actual number of acceptances is more than likely double that number.
That makes sense.

Last edited:
When is the deadline for students holding multiple spots to choose 1?

June 1st, I believe.

No. It's April 30. June 1 is the last day a TX school can take a student who is already accepted to a TX school off the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
No. It's April 30. June 1 is the last day a TX school can take a student who is already accepted to a TX school off the waitlist.

Nvmd. I understand now.

Last edited:
So if someone gets into Baylor but is already holding a spot at say UTMB, they have to choose by April 30th?

So if someone gets into Baylor but is already holding a spot at say UTMB, they have to choose by April 30th?

Yes. Right now no one should be holding spots at 2 TMDSAS schools, but anyone holding seats at both a TMDSAS school and other schools have to pick one by April 30.

Won't be any movement (from what I've read) until mid May.

I know that every year is different. However, judging from the past few years, some people have heard in mid April and even in early May.

I know that every year is different. However, judging from the past few years, some people have heard in mid April and even in early May.
It's more likely due to required dates to drop multiple acceptances.

I know the question was asked earlier, but I don't believe there were any responses...were there any post-II rejections?

Based on data from AAMC's MSAR, there is usually anywhere from 60-100 people every year on this waitlist and only about 10 people get picked up from it...

Just got off the waitlist for another school and will be giving up my spot to Tech. Don't give up hope if you're on waitlists!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got off the waitlist for another school and will be giving up my spot to Tech. Don't give up hope if you're on waitlists!!!
Where did you decide to go, if you do not mind me asking? Also, IS or OSS?