2016-2017 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you gotten confirmation of this from Tech?
No I haven't as I'm IS and it doesn't apply to me, but that's how that made it seem to OOS at the interview. If you have any questions just email them and ask. They were pretty good about getting back to me about my scholarship questions.

Does anyone know if there are any more OOS spots? Also, can OOS students get accepted with the match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there are any more OOS spots? Also, can OOS students get accepted with the match?
OOS students and combination degree students (MD/PHD, MD/MPH etc) do not go through the match. Offers to them are separate.
The school accepts up to 10% from OOS. Between match day and orientation day, some accepted students will drop their spot here for another OOS or private medical school offer they like better. This will open up spaces that can be filled from the wait list. The OOS percentage will stay under 10%. Some schools will fill a vacated OOS spot with another OOS Wait list student, others feel free to choose anyone from their Wait list. For now, wait as peacefully as you can!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed via phone back in December (my on campus interview was late November), and I was given the formal acceptance to the MD/MPH via email last week! I'm OOS. Hope that helps!
what were your stats?

OOS, re-applicant. Not doing LizzyM cause I'm a weird. uGPA 3.4, sGPA (from undergrad) 3.0, SMP GPA 3.7, MCAT 520 (this was a retake). I think my experiences/PS really helped me secure interviews/acceptances cause my stats aren't that great. Hope that helps!
520?? isnt that great?? come on dude...

Does anyone know when pre-reqs have to be completed? I know we can apply and if accepted it is pending us completing them if we still need some but what is the actual cut off for this?

Does anyone know when pre-reqs have to be completed? I know we can apply and if accepted it is pending us completing them if we still need some but what is the actual cut off for this?

By the time you graduate...

OOS students and combination degree students (MD/PHD, MD/MPH etc) do not go through the match. Offers to them are separate.
The school accepts up to 10% from OOS. Between match day and orientation day, some accepted students will drop their spot here for another OOS or private medical school offer they like better. This will open up spaces that can be filled from the wait list. The OOS percentage will stay under 10%. Some schools will fill a vacated OOS spot with another OOS Wait list student, others feel free to choose anyone from their Wait list. For now, wait as peacefully as you can!

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anyone know when Second Look Day is?

Since there were no reports of in state pre-matches for students who interviewed after the pre match date does this mean that those who match will come from the nov-jan interviews or did tech send out pre-matches for in state students for the nov-jan interviews?
I don't really think this matters. Anyone who interviewed at any time has a chance to get matched tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users
Matched!!! :soexcited:

I was honestly expecting the waitlist at the two schools I interviewed at. This was my first choice. My 11-month old pup saw me cry for the first time. He didn't know how to handle it.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! To those who didn't match, there is a lot of waitlist movement as the AMCAS schools start rolling out all of their acceptances. Plan for next time, but don't lose hope!

Reactions: 8 users

Are in state MD/MPH admissions still happening or were those spots filled before the match?

Does anyone know the deadline for OOS acceptances to decline or accept the seat??

Hello I also got a deans scholarship and after some email tag with the woman in charge of the scholarship I found out that the $4k is renewed every year assuming you stay in good academic standing and fill out the scholarship application stuff every year. Though I am not OOS I'm pretty sure the way that scholarship works is the $1k OOS scholarship enables them to only charge you IS tuition. I'm like 90% sure on that but you may want to verify with the school.

When did they tell you that you have to accept or decline the offer?

I called earlier today about the waitlist and admissions said we should expect movement around mid-March.

Did they notify you that you were on the waitlist?
I have not received an email about the waitlist, I just assumed I was...do people who get placed on the waitlist receive a notification?

I have not received an email about the waitlist, I just assumed I was...do people who get placed on the waitlist receive a notification?
I received a notification from another school that I was on the waitlist. Not sure if Tech does things differently...I hope they do because I didn't get an email either.

I received a notification from another school that I was on the waitlist. Not sure if Tech does things differently...I hope they do because I didn't get an email either.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Strange...

Congrats to everyone who matched today! We can't wait to have you here :) Spring Training (/second look) will be the weekend of April 7th this year. The 2021 FB group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/192597757829170/

For those who didn't, don't give up! I was a waitlister and there are plenty of smart cookies here who applied 2-3 times, not to mention all the nontrads we have.

To answer some of the questions above, I received my "alternate pool" letter in early April, but it was dead silent before then. My SDN research back then led me to believe you get notified earlier if you get rejected instead, but not sure if that's true.

I matched...
Congratulations to everyone else who matched here. Looking forward to seeing you all

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone who matched today! We can't wait to have you here :) Spring Training (/second look) will be the weekend of April 7th this year. The 2021 FB group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/192597757829170/

For those who didn't, don't give up! I was a waitlister and there are plenty of smart cookies here who applied 2-3 times, not to mention all the nontrads we have.

To answer some of the questions above, I received my "alternate pool" letter in early April, but it was dead silent before then. My SDN research back then led me to believe you get notified earlier if you get rejected instead, but not sure if that's true.

how does the alternative pool work for tech? is it ranked or do they review everyone again? if they review everyone again for 1 dropped spot it sounds like a lot of work.

also, how often do people come off the waitlist each year?

thanks

how does the alternative pool work for tech? is it ranked or do they review everyone again? if they review everyone again for 1 dropped spot it sounds like a lot of work.

also, how often do people come off the waitlist each year?

thanks

Hi! I interviewed here and I remember someone specifically asked this question on interview day. They said that the list is not ranked, and that it's more of a pool. From what I understand, that means if someone drops their spot in the class, the spot is filled with an alternate who has similar stats and a similar application in order to maintain diversity of the class.

And from talking to the students, several were off the waitlist! So I would say you still have a fair chance. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 user
The amount of people they already have in that FB Page lowkey breaks my heart... The FB Page for CO 2020 has almost 100 more, though... I don't event know. Am I paranoid af or what?

The amount of people they already have in that FB Page lowkey breaks my heart... The FB Page for CO 2020 has almost 100 more, though... I don't event know. Am I paranoid af or what?
Could you please post the link to the Facebook page..

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

The groups include MS1-MS4s so we can answer questions, so don't worry about that!

Can someone explain how the Amarillo and Odessa sites work please? Are some students relocated there during 3rd and fourth year?
Yep, for clerkships. Amarillo has about an equal number of students as the Lubbock (UMC) site, while Odessa and Covenant are the smaller campuses. Right now you're assigned a rotation campus before first year, although that may change soon based on feedback the students are gathering right now.

Yep, for clerkships. Amarillo has about an equal number of students as the Lubbock (UMC) site, while Odessa and Covenant are the smaller campuses. Right now you're assigned a rotation campus before first year, although that may change soon based on feedback the students are gathering right now.

Do you know when we would be assigned our rotation campus? Over the summer, at orientation, etc? Also, do we have any say in it or can we request to be placed at a certain one? If so, how?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you know when we would be assigned our rotation campus? Over the summer, at orientation, etc? Also, do we have any say in it or can we request to be placed at a certain one? If so, how?

You get your assignment before matriculation in late spring, I believe. You get a say in it and rank your choice of the 3 campuses, along with justification for your preferences. I believe Tech will send some kind of form. I got this info from my interview day, and I might be a bit hazy on some details.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to make sure...everyone who didn't match is waitlisted, correct?
Or do they make an actual waitlist pool AKA there's a 50/50 chance those who didn't match have been rejected?

You get your assignment before matriculation in late spring, I believe. You get a say in it and rank your choice of the 3 campuses, along with justification for your preferences. I believe Tech will send some kind of form. I got this info from my interview day, and I might be a bit hazy on some details.
Just so. And you can also attempt to appeal this decision in the fall of second year.

So I didn't match :(
Does this mean we are now on the waitlist? Would it be beneficial to write a letter of intent? (if so how/any tips?)

I received a prematch here on Nov. 15 and accepted it, but I've been accepted to a higher ranked school on my TMDSAS, so I'm hoping someone else can have my spot here at Tech. Would I just need to email the SOM office to withdraw? I'd already placed the $100 fee to secure a spot back in November b/c things were up in the air and I didn't know what the deal was gonna be.

Are all Texas Tech Medical Schools are on same schedule for orientation
& class starting dates?

Congratulations to this accepted! Did you guys use packets from your schools or individual LOR's?

When did they tell you that you have to accept or decline the offer?
For the Dean's scholarship I don't remember there being a hard deadline but I accepted it within a few days because I was pretty sure I was going to go here, especially with the scholarship offer.