2016-2017 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any students on this thread with thoughts about their experience here? Trying to choose between my top top top choice and here, and quite a tough decision. I loved this school on interview day but the idea of spending four years in Lubbock really scares me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sounds like this school is not your top choice and you might not be happy here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any students on this thread with thoughts about their experience here? Trying to choose between my top top top choice and here, and quite a tough decision. I loved this school on interview day but the idea of spending four years in Lubbock really scares me lol.

If one school is your "top top top choice," why are you even considering another school?

Members don't see this ad :)

You are saying this other school is your top choice. It is your top choice for a reason. So unless you are just trying to pass the time and compare the two for funzies, there's no point in trying other people to sell you this school lol. You know you have already made your decision. Hence thats where you should go, don't second guess yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
You are saying this other school is your top choice. It is your top choice for a reason. So unless you are just trying to pass the time and compare the two for funzies, there's no point in trying other people to sell you this school lol. You know you have already made your decision. Hence thats where you should go, don't second guess yourself.
Unless its OOS school then tuition could be a reason

If one school is your "top top top choice," why are you even considering another school?

Tbh I think that's more common than most people think. Giving a personal example: Columbia is my "top top choice" because A) It's Columbia B) I love living in Manhattan and am familiar with the area and C) There's a lot of connections and resources available. However, were I to get an acceptance at both Columbia and a TX state school, I would seriously consider my options. Because I don't know if I am willing to give up being close to my family and cheap tuition, even though it would be giving up my top top school. So I kind of see what @avenlea is going through lol

Let me restate: I haven't made a decision yet and I feel like I have a really romanticized idea of one school. I additionally feel like I haven't gotten any perspective from tech students as much as I have from other schools, so I would love thoughts from any students if they're on this thread.

If we have been accepted and are still in school, do we send a copy of our transcripts now, or do we wait until we have graduated and our degree has been granted? I just want to make sure I do this if I need to before the date on the offer page!

You don't need to send transcripts before the deadline. Just at the end of the year so they can make sure you didn't flunk out ha

I actually rather liked Lubbock when I was there for my interview. Granted, my perspective is rather skewed because my undergrad is located in a place that is much worse, so anything is a step up ha.

Let me restate: I haven't made a decision yet and I feel like I have a really romanticized idea of one school. I additionally feel like I haven't gotten any perspective from tech students as much as I have from other schools, so I would love thoughts from any students if they're on this thread.

I'm a 4th year student here. If you or anyone else have any questions, feel free to pm.

Reactions: 1 users

That makes sense then. But tell us this, what are you comparing Texas Tech to? What is the other school you are considering and why are you considering it?

Members don't see this ad :)

There's enough to do in Lubbs to keep you entertained. But you can ask specific questions in PM.

Hey ya'll, has anyone heard back from the 12/16 interview week? I remember from interview day that the admissions team said they were going to get our interviews processed by the end of the year and hopefully extend a few more pre-matches :)

Hey ya'll, has anyone heard back from the 12/16 interview week? I remember from interview day that the admissions team said they were going to get our interviews processed by the end of the year and hopefully extend a few more pre-matches :)
As far as I have seen, there have been 0 pre-matches for instate students. I read the entire thread from last year also and there were 0 in-state pre-matches there as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

As far as I have seen, there have been 0 pre-matches for instate students. I read the entire thread from last year also and there were 0 in-state pre-matches there as well.

Oh really? I knew that they weren't prematch heavy but not even 1?
Here's to match day yall! :)

I count 22 SDN prematches for Texas Tech on this year's thread and they are not all out-of-state. Feb 1 should be a day of action for sure! When it comes time to rank your schools go with your true choice.

I count 22 SDN prematches for Texas Tech on this year's thread and they are not all out-of-state. Feb 1 should be a day of action for sure! When it comes time to rank your schools go with your true choice.
I didnt see any in-state. My mistake then

Does anyone know if there are any remaining out-of-state spots?

Nope I just received an interview for Jan the 10th! didn't think I would but you never know!
Wait, does this mean they still had more acceptances to give or that the people they have interviewed thus far are not good candidates yet ?

Wait, does this mean they still had more acceptances to give or that the people they have interviewed thus far are not good candidates yet ?
No idea, doubt it. Interesting considering I heard faculty say "next week" (I interviewed early December) was the last Interview day.

No idea, doubt it. Interesting considering I heard faculty say "next week" (I interviewed early December) was the last Interview day.

I was thinking the same thing. I interviewed December 16th and we were told several times throughout the day that it was the last interview group.

Nope I just received an interview for Jan the 10th! didn't think I would but you never know!

I interviewed in December, and they said that Dec 16th I think was the last date. I texted my friend who's a student ambassador there about what he thinks about Tech since I'm trying to rank the schools, and he mentioned that there are no more interviews planned. Maybe the wrong thread? I know TT El Paso is still interviewing in Jan.

I myself thought that the interview season is over, and I think it is and was quite surprised that I was invited to a January date, but I will see what they say on the interview day!
Any interview advice from those who interviewed at TT Lubbock would be greatly appreciated! :)

I myself thought that the interview season is over, and I think it is and was quite surprised that I was invited to a January date, but I will see what they say on the interview day!
Any interview advice from those who interviewed at TT Lubbock would be greatly appreciated! :)

Be your best self, relax, understand that you have a good chance of acceptance, and keep it interesting. You got this!

I interviewed in December, and they said that Dec 16th I think was the last date. I texted my friend who's a student ambassador there about what he thinks about Tech since I'm trying to rank the schools, and he mentioned that there are no more interviews planned. Maybe the wrong thread? I know TT El Paso is still interviewing in Jan.

I also received an interview invite on Jan. 5th for the Jan. 10th interview date. I had called the admissions office earlier in the week and had been told it was the last interview day.

I also received an interview invite on Jan. 5th for the Jan. 10th interview date. I had called the admissions office earlier in the week and had been told it was the last interview day.
Good luck! I hope we are not interviewing for the waitlist though!

For those who have interviewed at both El Paso and Lubbock, which one would you rank higher and why? What do you think about the possibility of moving to one of Lubbock's regional campuses after the first two years? Would that deter you from ranking Lubbock higher?

For those who have interviewed at both El Paso and Lubbock, which one would you rank higher and why? What do you think about the possibility of moving to one of Lubbock's regional campuses after the first two years? Would that deter you from ranking Lubbock higher?

Hey there, just gonna throw in my two cents. I interviewed at both Techs as well, and honestly, the school you ultimately rank higher is going to be a great school. I enjoyed my visits to both campuses, and they each have different things to offer, depending on what you're looking to get out of your experience.

At the moment, I'm currently ranking El Paso over Lubbock, for the sole reason that I think I'd have a better fit in El Paso, living in a border town all of my life. A border town is unique in that about 80-90% of your patients are going to speak Spanish, and that's something I'm sensitive to and really want to make sure I keep up with wherever I ultimately study and practice. I also like that although it's not the largest city, there's outdoorsy things to do in the surrounding area. I love traveling, and think I'd like weekend getaways to White Sands and Ruidoso.

Don't get me wrong, Lubbock was awesome too. I love that the school is established, has great hospitals in the vicinity, is a large campus with so many opportunities, and has that overall college town feel to it. It also is closer to home for me, and the people were very kind and welcoming. Dallas also isn't terribly far away. And regarding the move over to different sites, it didn't really impact my decision. Sure, you might have to move, but I like that you're able to see a different region of West Texas and are really helping this school accomplish their mission of supplying these more rural regions with accessible healthcare. Also, you have a group of your classmates who are going with you, so you will have them for support and help with relocating.

Sorry for the long post, but I really think they're both great schools. It comes down to your personal preference on the region and the population you will be serving during medical school. Cost for both schools are comparable, as are several aspects of their curriculum and Step scores. Where I would fit best was the ultimate deciding factor for me. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Is there an accepted students page?

Hey there, just gonna throw in my two cents. I interviewed at both Techs as well, and honestly, the school you ultimately rank higher is going to be a great school. I enjoyed my visits to both campuses, and they each have different things to offer, depending on what you're looking to get out of your experience.

At the moment, I'm currently ranking El Paso over Lubbock, for the sole reason that I think I'd have a better fit in El Paso, living in a border town all of my life. A border town is unique in that about 80-90% of your patients are going to speak Spanish, and that's something I'm sensitive to and really want to make sure I keep up with wherever I ultimately study and practice. I also like that although it's not the largest city, there's outdoorsy things to do in the surrounding area. I love traveling, and think I'd like weekend getaways to White Sands and Ruidoso.

Don't get me wrong, Lubbock was awesome too. I love that the school is established, has great hospitals in the vicinity, is a large campus with so many opportunities, and has that overall college town feel to it. It also is closer to home for me, and the people were very kind and welcoming. Dallas also isn't terribly far away. And regarding the move over to different sites, it didn't really impact my decision. Sure, you might have to move, but I like that you're able to see a different region of West Texas and are really helping this school accomplish their mission of supplying these more rural regions with accessible healthcare. Also, you have a group of your classmates who are going with you, so you will have them for support and help with relocating.

Sorry for the long post, but I really think they're both great schools. It comes down to your personal preference on the region and the population you will be serving during medical school. Cost for both schools are comparable, as are several aspects of their curriculum and Step scores. Where I would fit best was the ultimate deciding factor for me. Hope this helps!
They are both great schools, I agree. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but nothing in my pro/con list was a tie-breaker for either of them. A friend of mine at FIU said that he's constantly being tested and evaluated (whether graded or not) since FIU is a newer school. During interview day at El Paso, it seemed like they are constantly quizzed and tested, but they made it sound like it was for the benefit of students which is true. It'll allow students to see more of the questions that are on Step. I didn't really have a point in saying that lol. Just throwing it out there and writing things for the sake of processing and deciding for myself. I'm not sure how I really feel about the possibility of moving at Lubbock either. It is an opportunity to see more, but is there really much to see there? But I suppose that is more dependent on what population a given student wants to work with. Just thoughts...

Hey guys, I just checked my portal and I previously had the "Non-Resident Scholarship" and now I have the "Dean's Scholarship", can anyone clarify what this means? I don't remember how much the Non-Resident Scholarship was for, but the Dean's is 4k. Based on the wording, I can't tell whether its 4k per year, or 4k over 4 years (1k per year). I'm OOS and this change with them offering me acceptance to a dual-degree program. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Abi

Hey guys, I just checked my portal and I previously had the "Non-Resident Scholarship" and now I have the "Dean's Scholarship", can anyone clarify what this means? I don't remember how much the Non-Resident Scholarship was for, but the Dean's is 4k. Based on the wording, I can't tell whether its 4k per year, or 4k over 4 years (1k per year). I'm OOS and this change with them offering me acceptance to a dual-degree program. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Abi
If I'm correct, the non-resident scholarship is $1,000. By Texas law, if you get a scholarships of a$1,000 or more, you are automatically qualified for IS tuition.

If I'm correct, the non-resident scholarship is $1,000. By Texas law, if you get a scholarships of a$1,000 or more, you are automatically qualified for IS tuition.

Thanks for your quick response. Just to clarify, is that 1k off the IS tuition then?

Abi

Hello I also got a deans scholarship and after some email tag with the woman in charge of the scholarship I found out that the $4k is renewed every year assuming you stay in good academic standing and fill out the scholarship application stuff every year. Though I am not OOS I'm pretty sure the way that scholarship works is the $1k OOS scholarship enables them to only charge you IS tuition. I'm like 90% sure on that but you may want to verify with the school.

How long did it take people who were accepted to get their eRaider info?

Has anyone heard back from the MPH dual degree program?

Has anyone heard back from the MPH dual degree program?

I interviewed via phone back in December (my on campus interview was late November), and I was given the formal acceptance to the MD/MPH via email last week! I'm OOS. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello I also got a deans scholarship and after some email tag with the woman in charge of the scholarship I found out that the $4k is renewed every year assuming you stay in good academic standing and fill out the scholarship application stuff every year. Though I am not OOS I'm pretty sure the way that scholarship works is the $1k OOS scholarship enables them to only charge you IS tuition. I'm like 90% sure on that but you may want to verify with the school.

So on my portal I was awarded the OOS scholarship of $1K. So you're saying that that scholarship is $1k renewed each year, and it allows me to pay IS tuition?

So on my portal I was awarded the OOS scholarship of $1K. So you're saying that that scholarship is $1k renewed each year, and it allows me to pay IS tuition?
Yes. That is my understanding of it.