2016-2017 Temple University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the nature of your special interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?
How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?

Describe the nature of your special interest in your first choice ranked Clinical / Regional Campus.

What are your plans for the current year - June 2016 until June 2017?

2,000 characters for all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can any current or previous medical student here comment on Temple? Considering adding to my list as I think I'll really love Philly but don't know much about the program (besides what's on their website haha)

Reactions: 1 users
No secondaries yet, but I thought it might help to put previous years' essay prompts here, which seem pretty consistent going back:

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?

How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?

If you indicated St. Luke’s Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.

What are your plans for the current year- June 2015 until June 2016?

From http://www.prospectivedoctor.com/temple-university-school-of-medicine-secondary/

When someone gets their secondary back, could you please confirm these? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary! Verified 6/28

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the "Complete an Application" link?

For some reason my personal email has been linked to my Temple account, not my AMCAS-associated (school) email. Can't seem to change it. Anyone else have this problem? I'd rather not have admissions decisions being sent to two different emails...

Secondary received! Hoping to complete it within the week/next week. Getting a ton of secondaries and studying for my MCAT retake July 22 is getting tough.

That sounds rough, good luck with all of that!

Anyone have any insider info on the different campuses? Philly is my first choice bc I am really interested in urban medicine, but have to preference the others and really not sure what their individual strengths/weaknesses are.

I just got the secondary and noticed the section on submitting optional ACT/SAT scores, which "may be helpful in our comprehensive review of your application." This is a little vague....does anyone know/suspect if they are looking for something in particular by asking for these? It's been about 5 years since I took these exams!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really interested in the MA in Urban Bioethics here. Anyone else know more about it? I looked through their website and it looks like you apply after being admitted? What happens if you get placed at a different campus? Any current students a part of the program? Thanks.

Reactions: 2 users
What is the nature of your special interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?

How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?

Describe the nature of your special interest in your first choice ranked Clinical / Regional Campus.

What are your plans for the current year - June 2016 until June 2017?

2,000 characters for all.

@WedgeDawg

Hey @Huggy , Is the question asking about our first choice clinical campus required? Or is it optional?

Does anyone know the maximum # of LORs we can send?

I don't think I'm gonna come anywhere close to 2000 characters on any of these essays. Should I feel bad about that or should I just write clearly and concisely and move on with my life?

I think in general it's best to be concise and complete rather than spreading the substance thin. Or think about the adcoms reading those thousands of essays; filling up space just to fill it probably wouldn't help your case.

Submitted my secondary, but no confirmation email. Is everyone like this, or am I missing some materials on my secondary?

Can any students comment on what they feel is great about Temple? I'm mainly interested because of my interest in urban medicine, but that seems like a better answer for the second question rather than the first.

What campus are people choosing?

When I applied, I assumed the different campuses were for different programs but it looks like even the Regular MD applicant can choose different campuses.

Any advice on deciding between the Bethlehem and Philly one?

Which one is more common? Which one has better clinical rotations?

If we choose the regular Philly one, do we still need to answer the which campus you choose question on the third essay?

When I applied, I assumed the different campuses were for different programs but it looks like even the Regular MD applicant can choose different campuses.

If we choose the regular Philly one, do we still need to answer the which campus you choose question on the third essay?

+1 on this question. The links in the secondaries just take us to the pages for the hospitals providing limited info on what the actual clinical program.

But I do believe that we have to write the third essay regardless. I do not think it is an option.

Also, is anyone concerned about safety at Temple?
I personally would not be concerned too much about safety at ANY school you apply to (for the most part). Colleges are often large and usually are the "safer" part of town. There are several colleges near or in Chicago, in or near dangerous areas in NYC, or even on the USA-Mexico border. You will very rarely hear of a brutal crime at any of these locations because medical students are there to assist the community. Now, it is possible that you lose your phone or purse (not trying to scare you). But, the ability to work underserved populations in these communities is also a large advantage in my perspective.

I personally would not be concerned too much about safety at ANY school you apply to (for the most part). Colleges are often large and usually are the "safer" part of town. There are several colleges near or in Chicago, in or near dangerous areas in NYC, or even on the USA-Mexico border. You will very rarely hear of a brutal crime at any of these locations because medical students are there to assist the community. Now, it is possible that you lose your phone or purse (not trying to scare you). But, the ability to work underserved populations in these communities is also a large advantage in my perspective.

I think I might hold off on submitting their secondary until I hear back from other schools. Do you think there would be a huge difference between submitting now and late-October?

Secondary received! I'm thinking about ranking the Geisinger clinical campus as my #1, after browsing around on their's and St Luke's and Temple's sites. I might also call them to see if I can talk to a current student there and get their opinion.

Also, is anyone concerned about safety at Temple?

The medical school, as you know, is not in a great area, I definitely wouldn't live right next it or wander around by yourself at night (just be smart, you're in a big city) but I've done a lot of work at both the medical school and the hospital. All the buildings are concentrated in one area and there are honestly so many hospital employees, students, and patients around that you will never have a problem. No reason to be nervous, it's a great school in a great city! Best of luck!

bump this question

Does anyone know if they send secondaries out in waves? I submitted 6/7 and was completely verified 6/10...

Secondary submitted! Good luck everyone! I submitted 6/8 for primary, verified on the 22nd. Secondary received the 29th!

For those of you putting SAT scores (from ages ago!), is the total meant to be out of 1600, for CR and math? When I took it, there were three sections for a total of 2400, though I heard it's changed again.

Thoughts on adding ACT/SAT scores? I did really on one, and not bad on the other. Should I only add the one I did really well on? both? neither?

Anyone know if if students can participate in the global medicine program from all three of the campus options? or is it only available at TUH?

"We welcome letters from research experiences, but they will not fulfill our science letter requirement."

I also took a course with my research professor so this could fulfill one of the science LORs, right?

Also, my SAT was 1980 so I don't really want to include it... What are you guys doing?

Hello everyone,

I was checking my application portal today and it showed that my LORs have not been received yet. This was a little concerning since I released my LORs to LKSOM on AMCAS last week. I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. Thanks!

Were anyone else's essays reformatted to one large paragraph after submitting the secondary? When I typed my essays out, I had them spaced out as separate paragraphs, but after submitting I viewed my application and saw that everything is one paragraph... Kinda annoying. Anyone have this problem too? I didn't even copy and paste or anything. I typed my essays directly into the text boxes word for word.

Were anyone else's essays reformatted to one large paragraph after submitting the secondary? When I typed my essays out, I had them spaced out as separate paragraphs, but after submitting I viewed my application and saw that everything is one paragraph... Kinda annoying. Anyone have this problem too? I didn't even copy and paste or anything. I typed my essays directly into the text boxes word for word.
Yeah I think that is just how it does that. Nothing you can do about it.

Either adcom will receive a different spaced out copy (like you formatted it) or they will be aware of that and it will not hurt you. Either way, I am sure we are fine.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting the secondary?

Submitted 7/10. No, but mine says it hasn't received my LOR packet yet. Is that the case with you?

No, I have check marks next to all 4 Criteria. Were your LORs marked "Received" by AMCAS before or after your application was verified?

No, I have check marks next to all 4 Criteria. Were your LORs marked "Received" by AMCAS before or after your application was verified?

After the fact. I understand it can take some time before each school actually downloads your letters though, and same with the time it takes them to verify your secondary (some of them do it manually).

Submitted 7/10. No, but mine says it hasn't received my LOR packet yet. Is that the case with you?

I submitted on 7/1 and still don't have a check mark next to the fourth criteria for Supplemental Material and LORs. I assigned my LORs on AMCAS (they were all received) the day I submitted my secondary.

After the fact. I understand it can take some time before each school actually downloads your letters though, and same with the time it takes them to verify your secondary (some of them do it manually).

Yeah, exactly. Just give it a few days, I'm sure they'll eventually download them and link them to your file, as I imagine many others are probably in the same situation. If anything, you can always call and confirm with the admissions office that your letters were indeed recieved via AMCAS.

Anyone else having trouble getting into the secondary? I click the link and it asks for my birthday, but I can't get passed that screen.

Nvm, ended up working after a couple of re-tries.

Really struggling with #1 and #3, and how to make them different, considering I want TUH campus. I am thinking I will focus more on Why Philadelphia for #3 and the specific programs offered within Katz SOM for #1...but I'm not sure if this is what they're looking for. I wish the third was still optional for Philly students!

Really struggling with #1 and #3, and how to make them different, considering I want TUH campus. I am thinking I will focus more on Why Philadelphia for #3 and the specific programs offered within Katz SOM for #1...but I'm not sure if this is what they're looking for. I wish the third was still optional for Philly students!

That's exactly what I did. #1 - Why Temple? #3 - Why Philly?

Good Luck!