2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
exactly that!
You guys got an email about your HPA status? Did they reach out to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students willing to comment on the curriculum? More specifically on class schedules. How many days per week is anatomy? Group sessions? Any other mandatory classes and activities? I am trying to get a picture of the typical week. If someone can share the sample schedule, it would great. The one on the website is only showing current module/block. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody get admitted from the HPA list yet? It's basically June now and in the previous years a lot of people get off the list mid may.

Reactions: 3 users
Any current students willing to comment on the curriculum? More specifically on class schedules. How many days per week is anatomy? Group sessions? Any other mandatory classes and activities? I am trying to get a picture of the typical week. If someone can share the sample schedule, it would great. The one on the website is only showing current module/block. Thanks in advance

There are usually 2-3 anatomy sessions a week. This consists of a pre-lab lecture and then time in the lab. They are changing this for next year though, and the pre-lab lecture will be an online video. Gross anatomy lab and the pre-lab lectures are not mandatory.
Tuesdays are the practice of medicine class with a standardized patient encounter and then POM small group. These are mandatory.
On Wednesdays there is usually a small group session for 4 hours where you either do case-based learning or ethics discussions. Wednesdays are always half days and the day is always done by noon. These are mandatory.
Lectures are recorded and not mandatory.

So basically, mondays, thursdays, and fridays you may not even need to come to school (I don't)
Tuesdays you'll do POM and be done by noon, Wednesdays you'll do a small group and be done by noon.

I like the schedule, everything is very flexible and really lets you study the way you do best.

Reactions: 4 users
There are usually 2-3 anatomy sessions a week. This consists of a pre-lab lecture and then time in the lab. They are changing this for next year though, and the pre-lab lecture will be an online video. Gross anatomy lab and the pre-lab lectures are not mandatory.
Tuesdays are the practice of medicine class with a standardized patient encounter and then POM small group. These are mandatory.
On Wednesdays there is usually a small group session for 4 hours where you either do case-based learning or ethics discussions. Wednesdays are always half days and the day is always done by noon. These are mandatory.
Lectures are recorded and not mandatory.

So basically, mondays, thursdays, and fridays you may not even need to come to school (I don't)
Tuesdays you'll do POM and be done by noon, Wednesdays you'll do a small group and be done by noon.

I like the schedule, everything is very flexible and really lets you study the way you do best.

Thank you so much!!! This information is really helpful.

one of my friends just emailed to withdraw her spot from the HPA list...just thought I should let everyone know :)

Reactions: 1 users
I heard that they just started pulling last week and I called and found out I'm in a good position and they typically pull from my position. I hope we all hear back soon!

I heard that they just started pulling last week and I called and found out I'm in a good position and they typically pull from my position. I hope we all hear back soon!
Thanks for the info, I'm honestly surprised no one has posted on sdn about getting off the waitlist! Glad to hear it's moving though...

Thanks for the info, I'm honestly surprised no one has posted on sdn about getting off the waitlist! Glad to hear it's moving though...
Ya me Too but it made me feel better to know that they only started pulling from last week

Does anyone know how does the waitlist move? Like do they pull off it only at certain days or once a certain number of spots open or as soon as a spot open.

I emailed them last week and didn't get a reply so I called them yesterday and Elizabeth told me that I'm in a fairly good position and they usually go beyond my spot. I asked her how's the list moving and she said the spots open in batches every once in a while. And she said they usually reach my spot in June or early July.

Then later that day I received an email from Carolyn saying they usually reach my spot and she asked me to check back in July if I don't hear from them till then.

So "fairly good position, usually go beyond my spot" = "usually reach my spot"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them last week and didn't get a reply so I called them yesterday and Elizabeth told me that I'm in a fairly good position and they usually go beyond my spot. I asked her how's the list moving and she said the spots open in batches every once in a while. And she said they usually reach my spot in June or early July.

Then later that day I received an email from Carolyn saying they usually reach my spot and she asked me to check back in July if I don't hear from them till then.

So "fairly good position, usually go beyond my spot" = "usually reach my spot"?

Did she give any indication about how the waitlist is moving in terms of previous years i.e. slower, average, etc? It's all very vague, but I was told the same thing that my spot is typically reached and reach out in July. I'm still holding out hope to get into Upstate but will have to shift my focus onto being content in attending my second choice soon...

Accepted this morning!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Accepted from HPA! Also holding a spot at downstate and pretty torn--any insights?

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted from HPA! Also holding a spot at downstate and pretty torn--any insights?
Both schools are very good schools, I don't think that there is a clear winner between the two. If you want to have a residency position in NYC, downstate might be slightly better but other than that go with one you enjoyed the most. How long did upstate give you to respond to their acceptance?

I interviewed for the MD/PhD programs at both schools. I found Upstate's facilities and staff more welcoming and...warm haha Downstate seemed fairly old and somewhat run-down. I mean, Brooklyn is a great place to spend your 20s, but when it came to interacting with faculty/staff/program directors, etc. Upstate was just a better community. Granted, Syracuse is not Brooklyn, and they're very different cities (and expect a different night-scene between the two), but I'd rather be happy in a snowy, bland city and than miserable in a "great city." (The cost of living is also way lower in Syracuse than in Brooklyn lol)

Hope this helps!

Accepted this morning!! After being on 6 waitlists, I AM BEYOND THRILLED!! I was even too scared to ask about my position on the waitlist because I couldn't bear to possibly get bad news anymore after this discouraging cycle. Good luck to you all, I'm rooting for you! Interviewed 3/6, OOS, LizzyM ~68

CONGRATULATIONS Guys!!!! Hopefully, good news comes to the rest of us on the HPA list.

Did she give any indication about how the waitlist is moving in terms of previous years i.e. slower, average, etc? It's all very vague, but I was told the same thing that my spot is typically reached and reach out in July. I'm still holding out hope to get into Upstate but will have to shift my focus onto being content in attending my second choice soon...
I asked her and she was really vague... she basically just avoided answering my question and said spots open up here and there....

Good luck to all of us.

Hi all! I just got the phone call off the HPA! This was my only interview this year and I'm beyond excited to start school here!
Interviewed March 8th
LizzyM ~ 72, Canadian applicant
When I emailed them to get an idea of my status they told me that they've previously reached my spot in past years but can't guarantee anything. Good luck everyone!!

Accepted this morning from the HPA list!!! About to call my other school to withdraw!!

Accepted from HPA list! Preinterview hold, interviewed 2/22, international student from china, Chemical and biomolecular engineering major, GPA 3.9+, MCAT 517. They told me that they usually reach beyond my spot. If anybody have questions feel free to PM me! Good luck to anybody who are still waiting. Good things will come to y'all! <3

See everyone else this fall ;)

Accepted from HPA list! Preinterview hold, interviewed 2/22, international student from china, Chemical and biomolecular engineering major, GPA 3.9+, MCAT 517. They told me that they usually reach beyond my spot. If anybody have questions feel free to PM me! Good luck to anybody who are still waiting. Good things will come to y'all! <3

See everyone else this fall ;)
Congratulations!! See you in August!

For any current students, how useful is it to have a car in MSI/II if you live at Geneva?

Hi everyone, going to be attending here this fall! I was looking around to see if anyone had answered this, but it doesn't look like it. Can an out-of-state student get in-state residency/tuition? I had done some research awhile ago and it seems like it's possible, but Upstate's financial aid/bursars offices didn't have great info as apparently there were some changes coming. I'm attending here whether or not it's possible, but it would be nice if I could get the tuition break :) anyone know anything?

Told I was in a grey area last month. Pretty much given up hope/going to move on with another acceptance. Shame as I'm lifelong in state, SUNY grad and have contributed to the region. Guess they're looking for something else

Told I was in a grey area last month. Pretty much given up hope/going to move on with another acceptance. Shame as I'm lifelong in state, SUNY grad and have contributed to the region. Guess they're looking for something else
Did they tell you any info about how the list is moving? Or if most of the movement occurred already?

Accepted from the HPA!

When I contacted admissions in mid-may they told me that they usually reach my spot and to contact them again in July if I hadn't heard anything

Reactions: 8 users
I got accepted off the HPA this morning. When I called to find out my position they told me they usually reach my spot and beyond and to contact them again mid June.

Accepted off HPA this morning and super excited to attend!

An abstract of mine was accepted for a conference in November, who should I reach out to in order to get permission to attend? Does SUNY Upstate offer compensation to attend conferences? The school I was originally set to attend offered $500 for conference travel reimbursement and I'm hoping to get the greenlight to attend from this school as well.

Accepted off the HPA! Psyched about it!! Now onto looking for a roommate:)

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the HPA yesterday. When I inquired about my position they said they usually reach my spot and to get back to them in July. Looking forward to the Fall.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for the incoming class? I know there is an orientation page but that's for everyone not just MS1's.

Does anyone know how to find out who your roomate is? They gave me a room number but no information about who I am living with

Are there any current MS1s or MS2's that can comment on which oto/ophthalmoscope diagnostic kit to get? I know that the school recommends any of the macro view welsh brands but those range from $400 to $700. It took me by surprise how expensive they are and I would have thought the school would have offered ones for students to practice on. I have no problem spending that money if this is the standard equipment people get but I was wondering if there is a cheaper option that people get?

The school most of the time does provide scopes to use during regular practicing but you will need a scope for simulated patient exam/testing. With that said, you will rarely ever bring it and rarely ever use it so don't bother spending that kind of cash for a scope. I literally just bought a 75$ scope combo kit of amazon and it hasn't been an issue the slightest. It may not last the longest but considering I used it 4-5 times during MS1, well worth it.

The school most of the time does provide scopes to use during regular practicing but you will need a scope for simulated patient exam/testing. With that said, you will rarely ever bring it and rarely ever use it so don't bother spending that kind of cash for a scope. I literally just bought a 75$ scope combo kit of amazon and it hasn't been an issue the slightest. It may not last the longest but considering I used it 4-5 times during MS1, well worth it.
What brand of scopes did the school provide? Did the cheaper option make testing harder or was the quality of the view equal? Also did the majority of your class buy the cheaper brands or did they get the recommended welsh brand?

What brand of scopes did the school provide? Did the cheaper option make testing harder or was the quality of the view equal? Also did the majority of your class buy the cheaper brands or did they get the recommended welsh brand?
I'm not sure of the brand, they are the kind that are wired to the wall by a cord, same you'd see in a doctors office. As far as testing goes, you really don't get tested on what you can see, there is no way to verify what your seeing and they are simulated patients so they don't have conditions that would be seen. On the wards when you'll really need to be able to see what's going on, there will be scopes available and other devices that will give you a better view then the optho scope. Comparatively though, my cheaper scopes were very similar to the ones provided during practice. As far as my class goes, I'd say some of them never bought scopes and only used the ones provided and borrowed a scope come test day as there are usually rotations for tests or never brought them(we only get truly tested once the first year for physical exams at the end and eye exams are only one very small part). I also know a lot of others bought the pricey ones but I don't think it made a difference for anyone really.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the brand, they are the kind that are wired to the wall by a cord, same you'd see in a doctors office. As far as testing goes, you really don't get tested on what you can see, there is no way to verify what your seeing and they are simulated patients so they don't have conditions that would be seen. On the wards when you'll really need to be able to see what's going on, there will be scopes available and other devices that will give you a better view then the optho scope. Comparatively though, my cheaper scopes were very similar to the ones provided during practice. As far as my class goes, I'd say some of them never bought scopes and only used the ones provided and borrowed a scope come test day as there are usually rotations for tests or never brought them(we only get truly tested once the first year for physical exams at the end and eye exams are only one very small part). I also know a lot of others bought the pricey ones but I don't think it made a difference for anyone really.
Thank you so much for the information, it's been very helpful. My last question for you is, what diagnostic set did you buy?

Has anyone noticed that tuition increased by almost $1000?? I already received my financial aid package before this sudden increase in tuition and my financial award hasn't changed. Does anyone know if the financial award will readjust to include the increased tuition?

Thank you so much for the information, it's been very helpful. My last question for you is, what diagnostic set did you buy?
The brand is Cynamed

Has anyone noticed that tuition increased by almost $1000?? I already received my financial aid package before this sudden increase in tuition and my financial award hasn't changed. Does anyone know if the financial award will readjust to include the increased tuition?

I would assume the award will adjust if it wasn't already adjusted for it. Last year there was a tuition increase after everyone received there financial aid and they told us we had to pay the $1000 to them and that the increase was already factored into the financial aid. If your concerned, I'd call the financial aid department.

MS2 here- made it through our clinical skills course without spending all of the money on my own scopes. Wait until you get here to decide if you want them.

Accepted off HPA, turned it down for various reasons but the decision wasn't easy. Among the SUNYs at which I interviewed, Upstate was my favorite. Hope one of you gets the spot!!!