2016-2017 San Juan Bautista Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. If I remember correctly, you can bring a notepad and jot stuff down during the tour, but not during the interview itself. They will ask you to put your things in a room while you do the interview.
2. Didn't interview recently so someone else will have to answer but last year it took 2 hours and 45 mins for me.

Thanks, @jugodeparcha! So to be 100% clear, no taking notes for any of the interview prompts to organize your thoughts before entering the room?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, @jugodeparcha! So to be 100% clear, no taking notes for any of the interview prompts to organize your thoughts before entering the room?
I don't remember if they provide you with paper to take notes, but I know that you definitely can't bring anything of your own into the rooms. You'll have to check with someone who interviewed recently to see if you are provided with paper to take notes.

I don't remember if they provide you with paper to take notes, but I know that you definitely can't bring anything of your own into the rooms. You'll have to check with someone who interviewed recently to see if you are provided with paper to take notes.

Thanks for your response, @jugodeparcha.

Does anyone who recently interviewed have any insight on this? @Nananadia @RugbyPremed @Canela

Members don't see this ad :)
Hola chic@s,

Hope you are all doing well and congratulations to those of you who have been selected for this cycle. I received an II at SJBSOM for 3/29 and am feeling so blessed, nervous and excited all at the same time. For those of you who have already interviewed here, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are we allowed to bring notepads to the interview to jot things down?
2. How long does the interview take with the tour included? I have to fly out that evening and am concerned that I might be cutting it close. I have read it takes about 3 hours - can someone who recently interviewed confirm?

Thanks!
No need to bring anything. as mentioned, they will ask you to leave all your belongings in the office outside the interview area. It takes about a good 2 hours to go through the process. On my interview, two students gave us a campus tour and answered questions that we had. That took an extra hour but your not obligated to stay.

My best recommendation is to not feel pressured about making your flight when you need to be focusing on interviewing. Best of success!

No need to bring anything. as mentioned, they will ask you to leave all your belongings in the office outside the interview area. It takes about a good 2 hours to go through the process. On my interview, two students gave us a campus tour and answered questions that we had. That took an extra hour but your not obligated to stay.

My best recommendation is to not feel pressured about making your flight when you need to be focusing on interviewing. Best of success!
Thank you for elaborating, @RugbyPremed. Luckily, my flight leaves 6 hours after the start of the interview, so that should be more than enough time. Thank you for the wishes and congrats on your acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
1. If I remember correctly, you can bring a notepad and jot stuff down during the tour, but not during the interview itself. They will ask you to put your things in a room while you do the interview.
2. Didn't interview recently so someone else will have to answer but last year it took 2 hours and 45 mins for me.
Were the interview stressful?

Were the interview stressful?
Before the interview was more stressful than the interview itself because of nerves. You come out of the interview not really knowing how you did, but it passes by so fast and is actually fun and interesting! Plus, everybody there is super nice. Good luck. :)

Hey guys. I'm a current OOS first year student at SJB. If anyone has questions about the school, feel free to message me or post on here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I know how stressful this process can be so hang in there!

Hey, how long they take to reply after II? I did my interview on Feb 14

Hey, how long they take to reply after II? I did my interview on Feb 14

Last year, I interviewed Jan 21 and got waitlisted April 11. I sent an update to my application at the end of April and got an acceptance May 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any females looking for housing? I'm trying to find a place to live, and I think I found a really nice place. I am looking to split the apartment with up to 3 other ladies. Please message me if interested!

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email on Fri., Mar. 31 notifying me of being placed on the alternate list. It said that the list was going to be ranked, the committee will meet in May, and then decide in June.
However, the waitlist letter also said that I CANNOT contact admissions regarding updates on my status on the waitlist/my chances of getting accepted off of it.
I'm thinking if I don't hear from them by the start of classes, I wasn't offered a spot. Any other suggestions regarding how I should approach this situation? What do you think are my chances? Thanks!

I received an email on Fri., Mar. 31 notifying me of being placed on the alternate list. It said that the list was going to be ranked, the committee will meet in May, and then decide in June.
However, the waitlist letter also said that I CANNOT contact admissions regarding updates on my status on the waitlist/my chances of getting accepted off of it.
I'm thinking if I don't hear from them by the start of classes, I wasn't offered a spot. Any other suggestions regarding how I should approach this situation? What do you think are my chances? Thanks!
I would suggest to just keep them updated with the things you are doing to become a more competitive applicant. Wish you the best of luck!

Incoming male student looking for roommates. Looking to settle in Caguas the 1st or 2nd week of June. If interested feel free to message me. Thanks ahead of time!

When did you interview?

I got a letter of acceptance today! So happy! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Are there any females looking for housing? I'm trying to find a place to live, and I think I found a really nice place. I am looking to split the apartment with up to 3 other ladies. Please message me if interested!
Hey! I am glad you posted this. I am trying to get in contact with other students with regards to this. Where is the place you found?

I received my acceptance letter on April 17, 2017. Interviewed on November 03, 2016. I have accepted another offer though. I hope one of you gets my spot! Best of luck to everyone!

[OOS-waitlisted at SJB] Anyone know when orientation, registration, first day of classes is?

Hey, Guys! Hope you are all doing great! Is there a facebook group for the entering 2021 class?

Anyone interested in a roommate? Male, OOS looking to settle in Caguas mid June. Message me if interested. Thanks in advanced!

[OOS-waitlisted at SJB] Anyone know when orientation, registration, first day of classes is?

Registration June 26
Orientation June 27-30
White coat ceremony June 30
First day of classes July 5

Hi! There is an orientation Facebook group but most of the members are current MSI students not incoming as far as I can see. We should create one :)

Anyone interested in a roommate? Male, OOS looking to settle in Caguas mid June. Message me if interested. Thanks in advanced!
Hey! I am looking for roommates. Have you found any yet? I move to PR June 22nd.

Congrats to everyone accepted! I am currently finishing my first year at SJB, so if anyone has any questions at all, feel free to message me.

Congrats to everyone accepted! I am currently finishing my first year at SJB, so if anyone has any questions at all, feel free to message me.

Congratulations :) Thanks a lot. What do you think the best way to nail the housing situation in caguas is? I'm OOS and will only be able to get to PR by June 22 so I am trying to start early.

Congratulations :) Thanks a lot. What do you think the best way to nail the housing situation in caguas is? I'm OOS and will only be able to get to PR by June 22 so I am trying to start early.
Thanks, congrats on getting in! Your situation is similar to mine - I'm OOS and had no idea what to do about housing. Luckily I had a relative in PR who is a realtor, and she found a 3-bedroom apartment for me. I signed the contract over email and then I went on the FB page and advertised my apartment to other first years, and that's how I got my roommates.
Most of the first years live in an area called Los Prados (the most popular complexes are Armonia and Serenna), and some live in Caguas tower.
I recommend that you first check the Facebook page and see if anyone is looking for roommates or renting out their apartment/house. Last year there were some students in the class above me that rented out their room just for the summer, which could be a good option if you want a temporary place to live during your summer classes while you are searching for a long-term apartment.
If you want to find a long term lease now, you can go to Real Estate Puerto Rico ,Bienes Raices en Puerto Rico Clasificados Alquiler Online and search for apartments by area. The listings usually have a phone number you can call for more information.

So who is gonna create that official 2021 Facebook group?

Hey! I am glad you posted this. I am trying to get in contact with other students with regards to this. Where is the place you found?
There was a posting on the facebook page! I'm still looking for 1-2 female roomies if anyone's interested.

Got accepted today. Interviewed in April, waitlisted 3 weeks ago. Any official facebook page?

It seems many students go back to the mainland for fourth year rotations. The SJB website says:

"Students are allowed to take four (4) free elective clerkships. The fourth year medical students have the opportunity to enroll in clinical rotations in Puerto Rico or at the US mainland through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) or directly with the Visiting Students Department."

For those of you who are current students - can the mainland rotations be anywhere or is SJB affiliated with certain locations?

Last edited:
Got accepted today. Interviewed in April, waitlisted 3 weeks ago. Any official facebook page?

Congrats! OOS still currently waitlisted. How did you find out that you got accepted off the waitlist? Through phone or email?

Congrats! OOS still currently waitlisted. How did you find out that you got accepted off the waitlist? Through phone or email?

Try to update your application or send a letter of intent to show your commitment with the school....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It seems many students go back to the mainland for fourth year rotations. The SJB website says:

"Students are allowed to take four (4) free elective clerkships. The fourth year medical students have the opportunity to enroll in clinical rotations in Puerto Rico or at the US mainland through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) or directly with the Visiting Students Department."

For those of you who are current students - can the mainland rotations be anywhere or is SJB affiliated with certain locations?
I am not a student there but I think I can answer your question... Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) is an application system for US students (MD/DO) who want to do their 4th year rotations at outside institutions that are NOT affiliated with their school. San Juan Bautista is a LCME accredited school (last time I checked); therefore, their students can do their 4th year rotations (especially electives) at ANY institution participating in VSAS even if such institution is NOT affiliated with the school itself. It is not something unique to that school. Your 4th year rotation can be anywhere as a US student, even in Alaska, so to speak.

Reactions: 1 users
There was a posting on the facebook page! I'm still looking for 1-2 female roomies if anyone's interested.
I would love to chat more about it. I still don't have a set place. Where is the place that you found? My email is [email protected] Feel free to message me if it still applies :)

Thanks, congrats on getting in! Your situation is similar to mine - I'm OOS and had no idea what to do about housing. Luckily I had a relative in PR who is a realtor, and she found a 3-bedroom apartment for me. I signed the contract over email and then I went on the FB page and advertised my apartment to other first years, and that's how I got my roommates.
Most of the first years live in an area called Los Prados (the most popular complexes are Armonia and Serenna), and some live in Caguas tower.
I recommend that you first check the Facebook page and see if anyone is looking for roommates or renting out their apartment/house. Last year there were some students in the class above me that rented out their room just for the summer, which could be a good option if you want a temporary place to live during your summer classes while you are searching for a long-term apartment.
If you want to find a long term lease now, you can go to Real Estate Puerto Rico ,Bienes Raices en Puerto Rico Clasificados Alquiler Online and search for apartments by area. The listings usually have a phone number you can call for more information.
Thanks a lot for your insights. I really appreciate it.

Hi Guys!

Congrats on being accepted to SJB!! I am a graduate of the SJB Class of 2016, currently doing residency in PR. I have a room for rent In Guaynabo (30 mins from SJB). Please contact me if you're interested.

Did anyone get an interview with an mcat of 491?

what kids of stat do you need to be competitive for this school as OOS? Is living there manageable?