2016-2017 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To give a different perspective I was an IMG applying to PM&R two years ago. My steps score were competitive and I had done 1 audition rotation in July and then another in October of my fourth year.

I mostly applied to FMG friendly programs and some programs who have never taken an FMG. I had met other FMGs on the interview trail and for the most part we all had >8 interviews with most of us having at least 12 interviews. We all matched into our top tier of programs.

As a whole residency is getting more competitive for FMGs, PM&R included. However if you show interest via audition rotations and go to AAPM&R in the fall you should do great. Just be realistic when applying to programs and do your research Into which programs are FMG friendly. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you give some info on the AAPM&R conference? I would like to go (I'll be a fourth year), but I'm not really sure if I would be in the minority as a medical student. Do you feel like it helped you make some good connections?

Last edited:
So do you guys mean that you met less IMG in interviews because they don't apply for PM&R and not because it is competitive for IMGs ?
Since I have graduated, what do you guys think if I apply rotation by using paid externship company? They said they would give me a LoR with hospital head letters .

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interviews scheduled at University of Arkansas and University of Louisville on Jan 13th.. looking for anyone who may want that day to switch either of those days. As a PM&R bro with not too many interviews, you'd be doing me a real solid. Thanks! Shoot me a PM

Last edited:
Hmmm....so I haven't heard of a second wave of invites having been sent out this year...thoughts?

I got multiple invites on dates after others got invites..but these were back in November

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone received rank list communication from programs yet?

I have not and am honestly not really expecting to. Won't read anything into it either way

I absolutely agree. I got one last week. But I'm certain it was sent out to lots if not all applicants who interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone wants to learn more about SUNY Downstate PM&R, I'll be glad to answer questions. Send me a message!

Has anyone been contacted to send in Step 2 CS scores? I was contacted a several weeks ago by a program and now am unsure if I need to do that for all programs or not. Could be match/ROL jitters! For reference, I did pass CS. Thanks for your thoughts!

Has anyone been contacted to send in Step 2 CS scores? I was contacted a several weeks ago by a program and now am unsure if I need to do that for all programs or not. Could be match/ROL jitters! For reference, I did pass CS. Thanks for your thoughts!
Yea, I was, too. Just resubmit the USMLE transcript request thing in ERAS and it will update your app with all of the programs you applied to.

Reactions: 1 user
How many interviews did you guys go on? I'm a bit nervous here. I'm a DO applicant and I finished with 11. I know based off previous data that's roughly 90% chance of matching. Just kinda nervous because I was told I need 12-13. I had 13 scheduled but had to cancel a few. Thanks

Wow, the app/interview threads this year have been quieter than years past.
At any rate, be sure your list is CERTIFIED.
Congrats!!!!!!

The process is officially out of our hands now! Congrats everyone!

How many interviews did you guys go on? I'm a bit nervous here. I'm a DO applicant and I finished with 11. I know based off previous data that's roughly 90% chance of matching. Just kinda nervous because I was told I need 12-13. I had 13 scheduled but had to cancel a few. Thanks

I went on ten interviews and was fine. The importance of getting interviews is to find at least one program who will rank you to match. Most people who do match, do so within their top 3.

Please post interview experiences. These posts were a great resource when I interviewed several years ago, but fewer and fewer people are doing them in recent years. Not only will your interview experience posts help future applicants, but they also help programs know what they need to improve upon. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Good luck to all! Can't believe it has been a year since I matched. I can't wait to start PM&R in 3 months.

Happy "find out if you" match day! BTW...those who match to an advanced and NOT prelim spot (I'm talking to you, military applicants)...you can call the NRMP and they will give you the location of where you matched.

What a ride! Me and mah SO matched to the same city! Can't wait for Friday...

Reactions: 2 users
So I just got that "Congratulations, you have matched email." And after my initial excitement something popped into my head that I hadn't thought of before.. at the end of my rank list I just listed all my prelim medicine spots individually as I figured I'd rather match that than nothing. If I had matched into just prelim.. would they have sent me the same email, or would I have been told I partially matched? Appreciate any insight on this!

My Optho friends who matched into TY got an e-mail saying "Congrats you matched into a 1-year program".

Right, sorry for being unclear. Was trying to tell Fssca20 that if they had matched into a preliminary program at the bottom of their Primary ROL I would expect them to receive the same e-mail as those who only matched into a prelim (like the Optho applicants). Hope that makes sense. Congrats all!

Right, sorry for being unclear. Was trying to tell Fssca20 that if they had matched into a preliminary program at the bottom of their Primary ROL I would expect them to receive the same e-mail as those who only matched into a prelim (like the Optho applicants). Hope that makes sense. Congrats all!

Right, thanks for your help. I think I got this cleared up. The email also said that I was NOT eligible for SOAP, whereas if I had only matched to PGY1 I would still have been eligible to SOAP into any unfilled advanced positions. I don't believe the email gives any distinction whether you matched categorical or advanced plus prelim. Congrats to all those who matched!

I received the 'congrats you've matched' e-mail and I didn't rank any pre-lim years.. this means I matched to one of the categorical programs I ranked, correct?

I received the 'congrats you've matched' e-mail and I didn't rank any pre-lim years.. this means I matched to one of the categorical programs I ranked, correct?
Yes it does. I matched my advanced and not prelim last year and got a congrats you matched an advanced position but not prelim.

partially matched. found out after calling the nrmp that my PMR program was my top choice, but now i have to SOAP for a prelim year spot. any general advice for partial matches in the soap would be appreciated. thanks!

partially matched. found out after calling the nrmp that my PMR program was my top choice, but now i have to SOAP for a prelim year spot. any general advice for partial matches in the soap would be appreciated. thanks!

Are you MD or DO?

I went through SOAP for pre lim last year. You can PM me.

I am non-US IMG applicant. I matched into PM&R residency today! It was extremely tough for an IMG during the process! PM&R has become very competitive. It is because recently the number of AMGs interested in PM&R is growing rapidly year-after-year; this could be due to the amazing balance between earning potential and quality of life (and also - a lot of clinical procedures to do) of PM&R physicians.

Congratulations to all who matched.

Best wishes for the SOAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Worst news ever today to find out I did not match. Interviewed at 7 programs - 3 of which I rotated through. I received great feedback and felt like I had a good chance at all 3 programs. Currently going through the SOAP and possibly AOA scramble to find an pre-lim/TY/TIR position. Anyone with words of wisdom on how to still get into PM&R would be greatly appreciated.

I also received the news Monday that I didn't match PMR. I had 12 invitations, went on 10 interviews (looking back with 20/20 vision shouldn't have cancelled). I went on 13 prelim/Ty interviews and matched to my number 1 at a good university program (called the nrmp since I was partially matched and they told me where). I had 3 pd's reach out after interviews and say the typical "we are ranking you favorably and hope you choose to come here". I can't think of what could've been against me other than being a US img from one of the better carribean schools with research and a lot of Pmr exposure, good board scores, etc. Currently making a plan from here but am not sure whether to reach out to these pd's now that contacted me for advice or just screw pm and r and try for something else at this point. Any advice is appreciated

Being an IMG is a red flag. I'd strongly advice that every IMG applies to every program they can afford and never turn down interviews. I've known stellar IMG applicants who went on 15+ interviews, ranked them all, and matched at their 13th spot. It may not be fair...but its reality.

Good luck with the SOAP.

Worst news ever today to find out I did not match. Interviewed at 7 programs - 3 of which I rotated through. I received great feedback and felt like I had a good chance at all 3 programs. Currently going through the SOAP and possibly AOA scramble to find an pre-lim/TY/TIR position. Anyone with words of wisdom on how to still get into PM&R would be greatly appreciated.

PM me. I went through this.

Out of curiosity, where was the sole unmatched position?

Out of curiosity, where was the sole unmatched position?

Pretty sure it's a match violation for anybody to reveal this right now, just FYI. But that would be pretty nuts if there was only 1 unmatched spot.

Pretty sure it's a match violation for anybody to reveal this right now, just FYI. But that would be pretty nuts if there was only 1 unmatched spot.

Ahh ok - I wasn't sure at what point it became 'legal' to talk about. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure..I just know ppl in the soap aren't allowed to release the unmatched spots to public

As in tradition...pm me if you match to mayo

I got it today as well. I thought it was odd and a major time investment for students, especially considering it isn't associated with an interview.

I'm a PGY-3 at University of Michigan and appreciate this feedback. I understand that as applicants, everyone is chomping at the bit to get a step ahead in the interview process. The purpose of this pre-interview season dinner was to offer advice to applicants on what they can expect on interviews and and for the applicants to get feedback from residents on what they wish they would have asked or paid more attention to on interviews. It's offered to applicants that are within reasonable driving distance to Ann Arbor. This feedback may help us change how we communicate with the area students interested in PM&R.

update: i found a prelim surgery position after SOAP completed. Thanks for the help. I look forward to finally taking that next step. Will update a separate thread with more details on what happened. Congrats to everyone who matched, and best wishes to those who didn't. As someone who is interested in the RMSTP program and really making an impact on the field, I may run into some of you at conferences or something in the future. This is a great resource for trainees and I applaud all those who setup access to communal information on interview timing and program impressions.