2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Although my full financial aid package is not out yet, if you click "Accept/Decline Awards" under Financial Aid in the LionPATH portal, you can see any grants/institutional loans offered to you. Note that this didn't show any federal loans offered to me yet and know that the "View Financial Aid" tab is still empty. Hang tight for the full package!

+1!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if scholarships a one time deal or can one expect to have the "same kind" of FA package each year?

What do they mean when they say "if your application remains active past April 30th"?

Will they be rejecting a lot of post-interview hold people in the next few weeks?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get an email to set up your lionPATH account?? I don't think I ever received one. How can I set my account up??

Sorry if anyone has already asked this question. Do students need a car to get around, or are most clinical experiences directly at the main hospital, so you don't really have to travel?

Did you guys get an email to set up your lionPATH account?? I don't think I ever received one. How can I set my account up??
I got an email to set up a Penn State Access account about 2-3 weeks ago. I just find a link to lion path via the COM page and used that username and password to log into lion path.

Did anyone get a Dean's University Scholarship on their financial aid? And if so has anyone reached out or asked if this scholarship is renewable throughout all 4 years of medical school?

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if anyone has already asked this question. Do students need a car to get around, or are most clinical experiences directly at the main hospital, so you don't really have to travel?

You may have to travel in your third year. Most rotations are at Hershey, but you may have some at Harrisburg or York, and if I remember all the FP rotation sites are off site from the hospital.

But initially, you could technically live on campus or in the apartments across the street and get to school everyday without a car. But I still can't imagine not having a car, just for entertainment reasons, groceries, etc.

Did anyone get a Dean's University Scholarship on their financial aid? And if so has anyone reached out or asked if this scholarship is renewable throughout all 4 years of medical school?

Checked my LionPath and I also got the Dean's University Scholarship. Surprisingly I did not get an email about this (did Penn State for undergrad and they normally always email about financial aid info being available online). I'll err on the side of caution and say it's a one-time thing, but would be best to make a call to the Financial Aid office.

EDIT: So I gave them a call. Apparently the Dean's University Scholarships come in various amounts, and some are one-time and some are renewable. Can't speak for other amounts, but I was told if you got $18,500, that is a one-time thing. Give them a call if you got other amounts (I assume perhaps lower amounts are more likely to be renewable).

Last edited:
You may have to travel in your third year. Most rotations are at Hershey, but you may have some at Harrisburg or York, and if I remember all the FP rotation sites are off site from the hospital.

But initially, you could technically live on campus or in the apartments across the street and get to school everyday without a car. But I still can't imagine not having a car, just for entertainment reasons, groceries, etc.
Ah, got it. Thank you so much!

I received a letter from Penn State today and my scholarship is renewable for 4 years. However, if you're a recipient of a scholarship that covers full tuition (HPSP or NHS corp) you're ineligible for the scholarship.

Would anyone with MSAR be willing to post or PM me the GPA/MCAT ranges for penn state? Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the max Dean's scholarship amt per year is?

Last edited:
I received a letter from Penn State today and my scholarship is renewable for 4 years. However, if you're a recipient of a scholarship that covers full tuition (HPSP or NHS corp) you're ineligible for the scholarship.

In the mail? I have received zero financial info on lionpath right now and when I call, they say it will come on wednesday

Checked my LionPath and I also got the Dean's University Scholarship. Surprisingly I did not get an email about this (did Penn State for undergrad and they normally always email about financial aid info being available online). I'll err on the side of caution and say it's a one-time thing, but would be best to make a call to the Financial Aid office.

EDIT: So I gave them a call. Apparently the Dean's University Scholarships come in various amounts, and some are one-time and some are renewable. Can't speak for other amounts, but I was told if you got $18,500, that is a one-time thing. Give them a call if you got other amounts (I assume perhaps lower amounts are more likely to be renewable).

I received a letter with the Dean's University Scholarship >$18,500 and the letter says it is renewable up to four years only. Not sure why $18,500 specifically is a one time thing.

Would anyone with MSAR be willing to post or PM me the GPA/MCAT ranges for penn state? Thank you so much

2016-2017 version
MCAT: 28-35 (median 31)
Overall gpa: 10th>3.51, median>3.79, 90th>3.97
sgpa: 10th>3.37, median>3.75, 90th>3.97

In the mail? I have received zero financial info on lionpath right now and when I call, they say it will come on wednesday

Yeah, I got it via mail today and I logged onto Lion path the other day and my scholarship amount was posted then as well.

Same here. I did get an email a while ago though, that said "*OFFICIAL NOTICE: Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy...welcome to your first semester at Penn State"... but nothing about setting up a LionPath account. super confused o_O

Same here. I did get an email a while ago though, that said "*OFFICIAL NOTICE: Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy...welcome to your first semester at Penn State"... but nothing about setting up a LionPath account. super confused o_O
Maybe check your spam? I got accepted very recently, and have already received an account set up. Otherwise you probably want to call the school.

Maybe check your spam? I got accepted very recently, and have already received an account set up. Otherwise you probably want to call the school.

Ah ok, thanks! I'm going to call the school tomorrow.

EDIT: just called the school, they said they are still sending out lionpath account activation emails and financial aid packages in batches. (I was accepted in December and I'm waiting to hear back about financial aid!)

Last edited:
Ah ok, thanks! I'm going to call the school tomorrow.
The e-mail should be titled "Penn State Access Account Activation". Your Access Account is a one-stop shop for everything Penn State related from e-mail to lionPATH to many misc. things. You then use the same username and password to login to lionPATH (can be googled).

I received a letter with the Dean's University Scholarship >$18,500 and the letter says it is renewable up to four years only. Not sure why $18,500 specifically is a one time thing.

EDIT: I read this wrong. NVM about my question

Was the scholarship a Dean's University Scholarship?

Anyone else waiting on a decision post-II ...? :p

Is Traffic day May 1 ?
Are we likely to see some action starting May 3 ?

Good Luck to ALL :)

Does anyone know if we need to accept our scholarship package on LionPATH or should signing the scholarship letter and sending it back suffice?

Really dumb question that I probably just missed in the admissions packet. How do I pay the deposit? Lol.

where did you guys find your financial aid awards? it says that my financial aid award is still not available on lionpath...

Reactions: 2 users
where did you guys find your financial aid awards? it says that my financial aid award is still not available on lionpath...
My scholarship letter was dated April 5th, but I had my FAFSA and everything in since the beginning of the year.

Right immediately after I got the letter, on Monday. You email it to [email protected]?

Yes, [email protected]

I didn't get a written confirmation either after sending the signed letter back via email.

Honestly, it may be because I asked for them to confirm receipt of my email. It wouldn't hurt to circle back with them to ask if they can confirm via email.

Mine was also dated April 5. Maybe they are sending this out in waves since you will usually receive your scholarship award via post mail?

I called yesterday and they said it will be sent out in waves because in earlier years, the server crashed when they tried sending it out together. So, we should have info before the end of April.

Reactions: 2 users