2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much more movement is it reasonable to expect? curious early 50's person asking

I think it's impossible to guess, which is the frustrating part. I mean every year has seen different movement. Sometimes it's fast and then really slows down, sometimes it crawls and then has huge jumps in like June. It feels like it's suddenly crawling, but in reality we still have over 2 months and it could go either way. That's what's so frustrating. It could be 40 people this year or it could be 70, it's just too early to tell. :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's impossible to guess, which is the frustrating part. I mean every year has seen different movement. Sometimes it's fast and then really slows down, sometimes it crawls and then has huge jumps in like June. It feels like it's suddenly crawling, but in reality we still have over 2 months and it could go either way. That's what's so frustrating. It could be 40 people this year or it could be 70, it's just too early to tell. :/
Gotcha that is so frustrating. Cant people 10 spots away call and ask about ghost spots. that would be awesome if someone did!

Gotcha that is so frustrating. Cant people 10 spots away call and ask about ghost spots. that would be awesome if someone did!

Lol yeah! PSA to anyone within 10 spots! You could call and ask about empty spots and then let us know on here!! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any accepted student know anything about the mathematics requirement? My portal says I haven't yet fulfilled it.

Lol yeah! PSA to anyone within 10 spots! You could call and ask about empty spots and then let us know on here!! :p
What exactly would one of these <10 people ask? How would the information be helpful?

Wouldn't they have already factored out people who specifically requested to not be on the wait list?

What exactly would one of these <10 people ask? How would the information be helpful?

Wouldn't they have already factored out people who specifically requested to not be on the wait list?

So say you're 10 spots away right now, in spot 47. Maybe you're other option is across the country and you have to decide if you're going to move or wait it out with OHSU. Maybe you have a significant other who will need to find a job across the country and let his current job know he will be quitting. So you want to know your chances of getting in.

If we are at 37 now, we don't know when they wait listed everyone, who withdrew. So say numbers 38,39, 40, 41, and 42 withdrew already, but we don't know that. So if one person withdraws their acceptance, and those people have left the waitlist, those of us watching the portal wouldn't see it got from 37 to 38, we'd see it go from 37 to 43. So the person 10 spots away doesn't know if there are actually 9 people ahead of him or if there are like 4 actual people and 5 ghost spots.

So we can't factor it in because we don't know how many of those waitlist spots are real people and how many are ghost spots because our actual waitlist number never changes.

I called earlier today and was told that everyone is holding onto their alternate spots. Not any ghost spots within 10 at this time.

That's definitely a bummer that there are no ghost spots within 47 so far, but it's also worth remembering that the wait list has only been out for 2.5 weeks. There's still a couple months for movement to occur. On top of that, it looks like every single year since 2006 they've accepted at least 10 more applicants from where they've been on the waitlist as of May 20th. While this may not mean much to people that are in the 50+ boat, I think that it's "safe" to say that there should be movement of at least 10 more spots (unless this year is a total outlier in terms of waitlist trends).

Last edited:
Hello! Is it worth applying to Oregon HSU if you're out of state?

Hello! Is it worth applying to Oregon HSU if you're out of state?

Unless you fit into a mission based group than no. What those groups are can be found on the schools website.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hoping for some movement this week! fingers crossed

Members don't see this ad :)
Should accepted students be expecting a financial aid packed and/or other information besides the acceptance letter in the mail? I received an email that let me accept the offered loan amounts online, but I haven't received anything in the mail. I did move recently (I updated my contact information through the portal) and there is a real possibility of getting mail delivered to the wrong address or misplaced. Just wanted to make sure that I am not missing anything that needs to be submitted in a timely manner.

Portal just updated saying they have my financial aid packet available. I'm WL. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Portal just updated saying they have my financial aid packet available. I'm WL. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Bah. Interesting. I was accepted in April and still have nothing about a financial aid packet...

Sitting here at 44 like:

giphy.gif

(Except I'm not a Nazi)

and you're gonna turn down that spot right? Kthanks

I just got in and wanted y'all to know!! I'm so happy. I just feel like this is the best fit ever, and I don't have to move across the country!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just go in and wanted y'all to know!! I'm so happy. I just feel like this is the best fit ever, and I don't have to move across the country!
Congrats!! must be the best feeling ever. Hoping for the same soon :)

I just go in and wanted y'all to know!! I'm so happy. I just feel like this is the best fit ever, and I don't have to move across the country!
Also do they update the portal first with the number or do they accept first? Thanks

That's great! Were you within the 43 that got in on Friday?
Yes but they had to have a spot in the dual degree program in order for me to even get into the school at all! So this weekend was quite the nailbiter of a long weekend.

Portal updated... 45! I also called a few days ago and was told that there is one ghost spot in front of me (I'm #51). And someone else called and was told there was none through 47, so I guess somewhere between 47 and 51 is the ghost spot?

Can anyone PM the admissions office phone #? I'm within 10 and willing to call to inquire about ghost spots

Just got an email telling me that I was accepted today! I was #48 on the alternate list--just a reference as to how the list is moving.

Good luck to everyone who is applying or on the WL this year!

Waitlist movement pretty much over then? Gotta move to D.C. end of July and a few spots away!

Waitlist movement pretty much over then? Gotta move to D.C. end of July and a few spots away!

I'm not sure about the wait list movement. I remember in my interview the woman who was running it said that movement really slows down in late-June and July but it's not unfathomable to have some spots filled via the wait list during that time period. She also said that the number they reach on the wait list reaches around 75 per year on average, so if your number is lower than that there is still a good chance that you can get in. I'm attaching a link to OHSU's admissions web page that states the profile of a typical admitted class. Hope that this helps!

Admissions

^ factually incorrect. They on average make it to the 50's

If I remember correctly because I don't have a subscription anymore but I think MSAR said 45 - but there is an excel file in this thread that tracked movement over the last decade or so that has close to the actual numbers

^ factually incorrect. They on average make it to the 50's

No need to be rude or abrupt. I was simply telling EDlover23 what the interview administrator told all of us when we asked her what the average progression of the wait list was. She said, "around 75", and since I also no longer have access to MSAR, I told him what an actual administrator said.

Edit: I was also interested at the high number she told me during my interview so that's why I posted the Admissions link on my previous post. An average class, according to OHSU's webpage, is 153 but they send out 230+ acceptances. This high number of acceptances most likely comes from their wait list, which corroborated her statement of around 75--even though the number obviously fluctuates year to year.

Last edited:
Portland is perfecto, but I've heard OHSU has mandatory attendance, ABCDF grading, and very poor financial aid. What do you all think are its redeeming qualities?

Fake news.

If I remember correctly because I don't have a subscription anymore but I think MSAR said 45 - but there is an excel file in this thread that tracked movement over the last decade or so that has close to the actual numbers

Oh, gotcha. That's why I was confused. I had looked at the excel file and then the numbers from the last few years that weren't included, and it looked like the average was a little over 60. Maybe the MSAR doesn't go back that far so the average was lower.

No need to be rude or abrupt. I was simply telling EDlover23 what the interview administrator told all of us when we asked her what the average progression of the wait list was. She said, "around 75", and since I also no longer have access to MSAR, I told him what an actual administrator said.

Edit: I was also interested at the high number she told me during my interview so that's why I posted the Admissions link on my previous post. An average class, according to OHSU's webpage, is 153 but they send out 230+ acceptances. This high number of acceptances most likely comes from their wait list, which corroborated her statement of around 75--even though the number obviously fluctuates year to year.

Rude or abrupt? Blunt maybe, but your info was wrong and I then gave the correct info. While that may be what the person said, we know it's simply not the case in reality. I'm not gonna type some long drawn out post on my phone to correct you - I'm just going to get to the point, so take that as you will. MSAR says 45. Over the last 11 years, they made it over 60 three times. Last 5 years; 44, 57, 54, 62, 106. They on average the last 5 years have moved 5 or fewer spots from this date forward, putting this year to likely be at most mid fifties.

Also there is turnover in offers well before waitlist. That's how they get 230+. You can't just take offers 230+, minus spots 153, and get wait list movement. Tons of stuff happens before waitlist, which means WL movement has to be less than 77ish (depending on the + part).

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
MSAR says 45. Over the last 11 years, they made it over 60 three times. Last 5 years; 44, 57, 54, 62, 106. They on average the last 5 years have moved 5 or fewer spots from this date forward, putting this year to likely be at most mid fifties.

Also there is turnover in offers well before waitlist. That's how they get 230+. You can't just take offers 230+, minus spots 153, and get wait list movement. Tons of stuff happens before waitlist, which means WL movement has to be less than 77ish (depending on the + part).

Tone is always hard to interpret on the internet, I guess. Anyways, thank you for providing the correct numbers for the OHSU wait list. I've heard about its variability with each year so knowing a common trend is always helpful.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
I was accepted this past Monday. Since I have not seen anyone post about wl progress I was number 50 on the waitlist. Best of luck to those still waiting.

I was accepted this past Monday. Since I have not seen anyone post about wl progress I was number 50 on the waitlist. Best of luck to those still waiting.
Congrats! Guess they're not updating the portal. Will you be attending?