2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were you guys assigned a student ID number at some point? I was asked to login to the student information system to look at the new financial aid requirements, but I don't have a user ID or PIN that I'm aware of, and can't find anything in my email or applicant portal. It's asking me for that info to logon. I can call Monday but I'll love to be able to look at it sooner.

I got an email on 1/21 with the subject line "URGENT User/Student ID Notification- Open Immediately" which, if I'm remembering right, gave me a link that took me through the process. If you didn't get an email with a link I'm not sure how you'd do it though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So once we know we are in... Does anyone know what the best options are for housing? And finding roommates?

Just trying to plan ahead! Thanks!

You should have gotten an email from Allyson about joining the FB group... there's a bunch of people posting on there about rooming and housing

Just withdrew my acceptance. May the waitlist be with you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm pretty high on the waitlist (60-80), Just wondering, will those (on the waitlist) that don't make it get an exit interview or any way to find out how to improve their application?

So I'm pretty high on the waitlist (60-80), Just wondering, will those (on the waitlist) that don't make it get an exit interview or any way to find out how to improve their application?

Yeah. You call the admissions office and ask to set up a meeting. I think they will even do this for people who aren't even interviewed but they might have changed their policy. Usually they won't start scheduling those until later though and they will tell you when to call back. The first ones are offered sometime after graduation.

Last year they told me July - which is ridiculous since the app is already open for so long at the point.

Can we please just have a year where they go through like 100 alternates, tha'd be great. Who do I need to start bribing to take other acceptances

Last year they told me July - which is ridiculous since the app is already open for so long at the point.

Can we please just have a year where they go through like 100 alternates, tha'd be great. Who do I need to start bribing to take other acceptances

It has happened. The 2010 entering class was 30s. The 2011 entering class went through 120+. The 2012 entering class was upper 60's. Every year is different.

Did anyone on the waitlist get a confirmation email when they replied and said they would like to remain on the waitlist? I want to make sure they received my affirmation so I don't get booted off the waitlist after the May 12th response deadline.

Also FYI my portal says they expect waitlist movement to begin mid-May. I assume there won't be any waitlist movement until after the May 12th deadline for waitlist confirmation response.

Did anyone on the waitlist get a confirmation email when they replied and said they would like to remain on the waitlist? I want to make sure they received my affirmation so I don't get booted off the waitlist after the May 12th response deadline.

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't want to bother them by emailing them again, but I also want to be very careful. I didn't get a response, but I'd love to hear from a couple more people to make sure that's normal.

UPDATE: I emailed to ask if we should expect a response, and was told no, the spots are secure, but they are getting so many emails they aren't able to email everyone back. It sounds like they don't remove someone from the waitlist unless they specifically say "please remove me from the list."

My guess is that if someone doesn't respond, they still keep their spot on the list, and if they're offered a spot off of the waitlist into the class and still don't respond after some amount of time, then the offer will go to the next number. This makes sense to me, because it would be awful if you missed the email asking for a response about the waitlist and then got booted from it because of missing one email.

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing. I don't want to bother them by emailing them again, but I also want to be very careful. I didn't get a response, but I'd love to hear from a couple more people to make sure that's normal.

I didn't get a response either!

I didn't get a response either!

I just updated my response above this just FYI. Basically we shouldn't expect a response, but our spots are secure unless we specifically request to be removed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email on 1/21 with the subject line "URGENT User/Student ID Notification- Open Immediately" which, if I'm remembering right, gave me a link that took me through the process. If you didn't get an email with a link I'm not sure how you'd do it though.

I also received the above mentioned email, but am having trouble logging in to view the message. I didn't have an existing password (to my knowledge), so I reset it and it won't let me log in with the new password. I tried emailing the support email listed, but I am sure that they're busy and I haven't heard a response. Is there anything particular that you had to do to view the message?

I just updated my response above this just FYI. Basically we shouldn't expect a response, but our spots are secure unless we specifically request to be removed.

Awesome! Thanks! I was a bit worried but glad to hear that's all is good.

I also received the above mentioned email, but am having trouble logging in to view the message. I didn't have an existing password (to my knowledge), so I reset it and it won't let me log in with the new password. I tried emailing the support email listed, but I am sure that they're busy and I haven't heard a response. Is there anything particular that you had to do to view the message?

I either missed or ignored the message back when it was sent and so I had to reset my pin because it expires within 60 days. I called and the support desk person was super helpful. He got it all fixed for me, sending anew pin and everything.

So I found out yesterday I am waitlist 30-40s. Glad I could finally get updated.... However, the other school I would want to go to starts in July which means I will have to move my stuff across country at the end of June. Looking at waitlist movement it looks like they didn't get to my number until late June early July last year. Honestly this sucks. Anyone have advice about how you plan a trip across the country where everything is cancellation refundable? I am honestly at a loss right now. I want to be able to plan for the future for my family... Looking at how this year has gone for OHSU with the snow delays I am worried that it will take even longer for the waitlist to move.

I think thats a pretty valid fear - I think the situation you don't wan to get into would be waiting for OHSU and ending up having to last minute rush to the other place because they haven't got to your # yet. How do the two schools/financials/etc compare? This whole thing makes it so hard for us that have families etc, it's hard to plan anything when you have no idea where you'll end up

The other school would be cheaper due to scholarships, however, OHSU is extremely like way way more convenient for my family. I also think the school altogether has a better fit for me. But again like you said don't want to be stranded. Wish this process was cheaper tho.
I think thats a pretty valid fear - I think the situation you don't wan to get into would be waiting for OHSU and ending up having to last minute rush to the other place because they haven't got to your # yet. How do the two schools/financials/etc compare? This whole thing makes it so hard for us that have families etc, it's hard to plan anything when you have no idea where you'll end up

what number can we call for feedback?

The other school would be cheaper due to scholarships, however, OHSU is extremely like way way more convenient for my family. I also think the school altogether has a better fit for me. But again like you said don't want to be stranded. Wish this process was cheaper tho.

The thing I'm finding the most difficult is dealing with housing. I should be looking for places, but I don't want to deal with finding month to month/roommates etc only to not end up going some place. (Where I'm already accepted)

And that sounds like a tough choice. Personally, id set a cutoff day, if I don't know by say mid June, then chose the other school. Because the day class starts there, if you haven't gotten in at OHSU yet, then you HAVE to go. Even if your number is really close, I would think you just can't risk it. Because who knows, maybe you're one spot away and that ends up not changing. Likely, no, but I just wouldn't put myself in that position

I can confirm that they have made it to at least spot #5 on the alternate list. Good luck everyone!

Does this mean they only had 16 slots left to fill?
No sorry (didn't mean to scare anyone!), my portal stated that had accepted thru alternate #16. It is unclear how many spots they have left to fill. Last year they went to around 50 and MSAR says about 50 but you never know.

No sorry (didn't mean to scare anyone!), my portal stated that had accepted thru alternate #16. It is unclear how many spots they have left to fill. Last year they went to around 50 and MSAR says about 50 but you never know.

No I get what you're saying! I just wasn't sure if the fact they started at 16 means they only have 16 spots to fill?

No I get what you're saying! I just wasn't sure if the fact they started at 16 means they only have 16 spots to fill?

Huh? The filled all their spots. Now as people turn down acceptances they go down the list 1 for 1. It means 16 acceptances have been turned down.

what number can we call for feedback?
I emailed last week. They replied:
"
Thank you for your inquiry. We will start scheduling formal feedback sessions at the end of May. These sessions will take place in the summer.

Please give us a call at the end of this month, and then we’ll be happy to set up one for you!

Take care,

-Kimberly Felipe
UME Admissions
OHSU School of Medicine
"

Reactions: 1 users
Not to jinx or anything but is this pretty good movement?

Oh, my god, this is cruel. I'm number 28.

You basically can 100% count on a spot, so not that cruel. For us later/right around where they generally make it to, THATS cruel haha

Long-time lurker of this thread here.

Accepted off the waitlist at #31!

Wishing the rest of you the best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
what was interesting is they updated today in the morning, and didn't update yesterday. Can we please make it juuuuuuust over 60 k thanks bye

what was interesting is they updated today in the morning, and didn't update yesterday. Can we please make it juuuuuuust over 60 k thanks bye

They don't always update immediately. I was accepted off the wait list on a Friday (few years ago) but the portal was only updated on the following Monday or Tuesday.

I've been a long time follower of this thread, but this is my first time posting. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what waitlist movement will be like over the next couple weeks. From the previous years waitlist info posted on here it looks like there is typically one or two waitlist "jumps" in the first few weeks after waitlist publication, after which there seems to be a somewhat steady crawl of 1-2 per week through late July. This all makes pretty good sense to me, given that the first acceptances are given out in bundles, with people typically having a week (?) to take the acceptance or turn it down. At this point, does anyone anticipate that there will be anymore waitlist "jumps", or are we pretty much just down to the 1-2 applicant per week movement that can be seen in previous years?

FYI, I'm curently waitlisted in the upper 40s and trying to get an idea if it's realistic to continue to wait for an acceptance from OHSU. Given that the waitlist only moved from #34-#35 over the past 5 days, I'm leaning toward thinking that we probably wont be seeing any more major waitlist movement, but was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on this.

Honestly, it's pretty much impossible to make any guesses. Other schools have different waitlist movement trends, and as a dominos effect that could influence OHSU waitlists. It's really all over the place, I mean what 6 years ago it was into the hundreds, then its been as low as the thirties. You also have all the ghosted spots. So I think the moral of the story is - there is no way to make any reasonable assumptions at this point. The only thing I would point out is it's currently further along at the current date than in any of the recent years...so take that as you will

Honestly, it's pretty much impossible to make any guesses. Other schools have different waitlist movement trends, and as a dominos effect that could influence OHSU waitlists. It's really all over the place, I mean what 6 years ago it was into the hundreds, then its been as low as the thirties. You also have all the ghosted spots. So I think the moral of the story is - there is no way to make any reasonable assumptions at this point. The only thing I would point out is it's currently further along at the current date than in any of the recent years...so take that as you will

Gotcha. I guess it's one of those things you can't really anticipate. I was wondering if anyone had any further insight into other factors that would allow people to estimate movement, but I suppose that it just really isn't possible

37 now or perhaps updated earlier this morning from Friday or the weekend. Not sure just checked. Happy Monday y'all :)

Are there any accepted reapplicants here that were waitlisted last year that could tell their stories of their additional gap year? I am currently in the upper 60s of the waitlist but am preparing for next cycle. However I don't know if I should wait out this cycle or go straight into it.

Anyone accepted in April heard anything about financial aid? I was, and my acceptance contract and transcripts etc. are all in the portal, as well as my SSN, but still nothing about financial aid...

Are there any accepted reapplicants here that were waitlisted last year that could tell their stories of their additional gap year? I am currently in the upper 60s of the waitlist but am preparing for next cycle. However I don't know if I should wait out this cycle or go straight into it.

I was waitlisted last year at different schools but I guess it is a similar situation. I chose to go right into the next cycle. I thought I was playing it safe but I made the right decision because I never got pulled off any of the wailtlists. Turned out in my favor, scoring me more than 3 times the interviews and an early offer at one of my top choices. I highly doubt I would have been given the opportunity if I had submitted in mid-late July. In my opinion, there are few things worse than getting behind in the app process. Think of it like a long term investment. You might waste that time and money starting the next app, but its worth the peace of mind knowing if things don't work out as planned you are prepared. Just my two cents.

Oof, feels like this waitlist is just playing a mean joke on us now lol. I know it's only mid-May, but I was enjoying all the movement before this week!

Oof, feels like this waitlist is just playing a mean joke on us now lol. I know it's only mid-May, but I was enjoying all the movement before this week!
How much more movement is it reasonable to expect? curious early 50's person asking

Last edited: