2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is it safe to assume that if we're still on hold we're either #4000 on the wait list or we can expect a rejection within the next few hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected. Anyone know the admissions number? Or the contact info to get an interview about how to improve?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well 60-80. Interviewed November, on hold January. I suppose if you're on hold at this point the number will keep getting higher.

Does anyone know if all acceptances have been sent out at this point? Didn't they send out some last year after the waitlist or am I mistaken?

I seems to remember it went - acceptances, wistlist, rejections in pretty much that order with waitlist/rejections happening the same time, with the next day only additional rejections.

I'm on mobile and can't find it - can anyone repost the waitlist movement file?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I seems to remember it went - acceptances, wistlist, rejections in pretty much that order with waitlist/rejections happening the same time, with the next day only additional rejections.

I'm on mobile and can't find it - can anyone repost the waitlist movement file?

Just went through last years thread and that seems correct. Thanks for the post!

Alternate :/

On last year's thread, someone posted they moved through spot 44. Does anyone know if this is the actual number, or just the last reported movement on SDN? I am around that number so it looks like it'll be even more waiting for me....

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially rejected. Going to try again and hopefully join you guys next year. Probably not going to be in state as I'm currently living in a state with more than one medical school and I'll still have Oregon heritage.

Reactions: 1 user
Post 742 has that spreadsheet for prior movement FYI

Soooo what are the possible fates for those who are still on hold? It seems like the waitlist has gone out to at least #60. That's essentially a rejection based on prior trends, right?

Soooo what are the possible fates for those who are still on hold? It seems like the waitlist has gone out to at least #60. That's essentially a rejection based on prior trends, right?

It's gone a bit past that. I am somewhere between 70 and 85.

Can anyone confirm that the data on the WL spreadsheet matches with what is on the MSAR waitlist page? My subscription just ran out and don't feel like paying out $28 to see 2 stats. Not asking for the direct #'s, just if the info on the spreadsheet seem to match ( WL made it to 44 on the spreadsheet last year)

Can anyone confirm that the data on the WL spreadsheet matches with what is on the MSAR waitlist page? My subscription just ran out and don't feel like paying out $28 to see 2 stats. Not asking for the direct #'s, just if the info on the spreadsheet seem to match ( WL made it to 44 on the spreadsheet last year)

Yes, they're similar to the summary data available on MSAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received an email about winning the Presidential Scholarship. Financial aid info should be coming out soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the number accepted includes 'ghost spots' i.e. those that were given a waitlist spot but never took it? I assume that getting up to 50 applicants off the waitlist means getting to a number higher than that? Or is it up until number 50, but then accepting less than that (because of those few 'ghost spots')?

The more I think about it today, the more I seriously want to go here. I always have, but I pretty much gave up hope. My number very well may be reached, and I'm hoping it's reached sooner than later, in which case I am thinking I'll likely matriculate.

However, I have a life to plan and a fiance to consider. Does any accepted student have access to an academic calendar for 2017 - 2018? I can't seem to find one online and am not sure who I would email to ask for one.

The more I think about it today, the more I seriously want to go here. I always have, but I pretty much gave up hope. My number very well may be reached, and I'm hoping it's reached sooner than later, in which case I am thinking I'll likely matriculate.

However, I have a life to plan and a fiance to consider. Does any accepted student have access to an academic calendar for 2017 - 2018? I can't seem to find one online and am not sure who I would email to ask for one.

As much as it pains me to encourage someone ahead of me to stay on the WL, I would think hard before turning it down. Although with a wife as well, some of the big choices I'm making are prolly a step down for me but a step up for our "family"

Does anyone know if the number accepted includes 'ghost spots' i.e. those that were given a waitlist spot but never took it? I assume that getting up to 50 applicants off the waitlist means getting to a number higher than that? Or is it up until number 50, but then accepting less than that (because of those few 'ghost spots')?

I would guess that includes the ghost spots, but don't know for sure.

Rejected from OHSU today :(. Kind of stung a bit - I'm not sure why I was rejected. It is my first rejection post-interview. I'm a lifelong Oregon resident. I felt solid on my interview. It wouldn't make sense to yield protect after the interview would it?

I got an email with my financial aid package - no scholarships, just loans.

I feel like waiting is basically my second job at this point.

Alternate list between 1-10!

So that's pretty exciting. I'm happy with getting this far! Good luck to everyone in the waiting boat!

I am the magical alternate #44. But I have a lease that needs signing in L.A. to attend my other school. But I also want to go home to Oregon. 1st world problems :smack:

I waited 3 months to find out I got put on hold. Waited exactly 4 months after that to get rejected. Never even got any sort of email from them. Only just portal updates I had to check myself. As a lifelong Oregonian that worked their ass off to get a 4.0 GPA and >90th percentile MCAT, pretty disappointed at this point.

Reactions: 3 users
I am the magical alternate #44. But I have a lease that needs signing in L.A. to attend my other school. But I also want to go home to Oregon. 1st world problems :smack:

Literally, same (I'm #45). Except I am looking at apartments in Chicago, and haven't found a lease to sign, yet. But really, really don't know what to do. I want to go back home to Oregon so bad, but don't know how long I can wait, and my fiance needs to update his job (his current job has an office in Chicago...)

What are you going to do?!

Literally, same (I'm #45). Except I am looking at apartments in Chicago, and haven't found a lease to sign, yet. But really, really don't know what to do. I want to go back home to Oregon so bad, but don't know how long I can wait, and my fiance needs to update his job (his current job has an office in Chicago...)

What are you going to do?!

I'm planning to sign the lease. If I get in, I'll try to find a sublet. Assuming that doesn't work out, I'll just go to a medical school with what I believe to be a more considerate and logical approach to admissions :whistle:.

Reactions: 3 users
I just read that alt list email more closely -- it says "the status of the alternate list will be online by early June."

Does this mean they won't release info regarding waitlist movement until early June??? That sucks. This typically happened early May. I take it, though, that if we are accepted between now and early June, we would still be notified right away? This makes it so much harder to plan! Was planning on gauging waitlist movement through May to make my choice of whether to wait it out or not. Shoot.

I just read that alt list email more closely -- it says "the status of the alternate list will be online by early June."

Does this mean they won't release info regarding waitlist movement until early June??? That sucks. This typically happened early May. I take it, though, that if we are accepted between now and early June, we would still be notified right away? This makes it so much harder to plan! Was planning on gauging waitlist movement through May to make my choice of whether to wait it out or not. Shoot.

I expect people on here will update us. If their number is 20, they'll say so and that they just got pulled from the list. So we can follow it that way until June.

Also, I was looking at the movement in previous years and you can't really gauge the movement through May. Sometimes if moves quickly and then just halts at a low number, and vice versa. Which is super frustrating for us in the waitlist boat haha.

That's the way I read it too. And I think there is only a couple of us spread out pretty far across the WL, so I wouldn't count on sdn being very representative of where they are. But yeah, sucks it will come out so late

Alternate dual degree no number given and basically the email said they couldn't tell me if I would hear or when, and that the number changes every year. So more waiting with no real answer. Preparing to move across the country at this point.

Last edited:
Alternate MD/MPH no number given and basically the email said they couldn't tell me if I would hear or when, and that the number changes every year. So more waiting with no real answer. Preparing to move across the country at this point.

Wow that seems kind of crappy of them... Weird. Sorry you're in that position! :/ I wish the admissions here were different overall here. It's tough that several of us are in the position of waiting until possibly the last minute. And many people aren't able to put their lives on hold for that long.

Wow that seems kind of crappy of them... Weird. Sorry you're in that position! :/ I wish the admissions here were different overall here. It's tough that several of us are in the position of waiting until possibly the last minute. And many people aren't able to put their lives on hold for that long.
Thanks! I know I'm trying to figure out things with my family.

Last edited:
Officially withdrew today - hope it goes to one of you awesome people!

Reactions: 1 users
Also all alternates have been notified that portal just updated.

Last edited:
Were you guys assigned a student ID number at some point? I was asked to login to the student information system to look at the new financial aid requirements, but I don't have a user ID or PIN that I'm aware of, and can't find anything in my email or applicant portal. It's asking me for that info to logon. I can call Monday but I'll love to be able to look at it sooner.

So once we know we are in... Does anyone know what the best options are for housing? And finding roommates?

Just trying to plan ahead! Thanks!