2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My least favorite phrase has become "Decision: Hold" and I can't figure out why...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Placed on hold just now. Did anyone get a waitlist rank? Hope they haven't released that yet and I still have a chance...

Placed on hold just now. Did anyone get a waitlist rank? Hope they haven't released that yet and I still have a chance...

On hold =/= waitlist. Still a chance of acceptance/rejection rather than WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sitting on silence, not even a hold.... I'm expecting nothing more than an outright reject at this point....

Sitting on silence, not even a hold.... I'm expecting nothing more than an outright reject at this point....
Hang in there. We should be getting the ranked waitlist sometime this week and it seems to be around 40-50 applicants are admitted from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hang in there. We should be getting the ranked waitlist sometime this week and it seems to be around 40-50 applicants are admitted from there.
Thx a mil! Fingers crossed for you too! Good luck!

Thx a mil! Fingers crossed for you too! Good luck!
So they do actually tell you your ranked spot on the waitlist? I never though OHSU would do something so..... transparent. Completely unheard of from them :')

Hang in there guys. The wait is almost over. I remember being in your shoes (I am graduating from OHSU this year). I promise it will all be okay. Even if you have to reapply it is not the end of the world. OHSU loves re-applicants so your chances go up with reapplying. Good luck to everyone. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you all!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be seeing you guys in August for orientation :cool:
For everyone who's on hold, hang in there!! I was in the exact same spot last year and missed admissions by around 20 spots! The struggle is real!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Will they really wait til Sunday??? Seems like they'd want to get this done by Friday, but who knows.

They HAVE to announce A/WL/R by the 30th, right?

Will they really wait til Sunday??? Seems like they'd want to get this done by Friday, but who knows.

They HAVE to announce A/WL/R by the 30th, right?

I think in the past years they've announced early, either a few days early or the Friday before if it fell on a weekend. Therefore I am checking my portal constantly and feel like I'm going to vomit.

OHSU is my top-choice school and I am planning on taking 2 gap years before entering medical school (applying after my first gap year). I got a job working full-time at Intel in Hillsboro and because of the compressed work week, I will have every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and every other Wednesday free. I already have an invite to a volunteer orientation at OHSU and I have recently interviewed for a scribe position at OHSU... I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how this combination of gap-year(s) activities will help me in terms of gaining an admittance to OHSU. Also, GPA is a 3.73, but my MCAT score was a 506... should I retake?

OHSU is my top-choice school and I am planning on taking 2 gap years before entering medical school (applying after my first gap year). I got a job working full-time at Intel in Hillsboro and because of the compressed work week, I will have every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and every other Wednesday free. I already have an invite to a volunteer orientation at OHSU and I have recently interviewed for a scribe position at OHSU... I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how this combination of gap-year(s) activities will help me in terms of gaining an admittance to OHSU. Also, GPA is a 3.73, but my MCAT score was a 506... should I retake?

I don't think that it matters how many gap years you take, but rather what you do with that time. I think since you will be volunteering in a healthcare setting that will look good, and the fact that you are working too will show that you aren't just wasting the two gap years you plan on taking. As for the MCAT, a 506 isn't bad but if you have the time to study for it and retake it I would say that might be in your best interest. Also when you apply to OHSU make sure you are part of one of their mission based groups since they really only interview those people (I am adding the link to that site). Good luck on applying! :)

Academic and Selection Factors

OH MY GOD ACCEPTED!! Interviewed in October, placed on hold in December, and just checked my portal (after neurotically checking it every 10 minutes all day) and I was accepted!!

Reactions: 9 users
OH MY GOD ACCEPTED!! Interviewed in October, placed on hold in December, and just checked my portal (after neurotically checking it every 10 minutes all day) and I was accepted!!

ITS HAPPENING

Also congrats!! The wait is real and it finally paid off for you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wow congrats! Now I have even more reason to keep hitting refresh.:xf:

Just a touch of input on the mcat side - unless you do something significantly different, the data generally shows that mcat score don't change much, and there is a likely chance you score could go down. So you have to weigh risk/reward, and be honest about if you are really going to prep differently. Getting a 507/508 on a retake isn't going to drastically change your odds of acceptance, especially as a retake. Now if you got a retake of 505/504, you just nuked your app. Just food for thought.

First post on here, but I just checked my portal and found out I was accepted off hold today!! So grateful, and will definitely be attending in the fall! Good luck to you all, fingers crossed!

Reactions: 7 users
Just checked my portal after refreshing all day. ACCEPTED!!! I interviewed in October and was put on hold in late November. I'm literally shaking, this is a dream come true!! I had nearly given up hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Ahhhh. Now I'm freaking out. Really hoping for good news, but just want ANY news. I've been on hold since mid-November.

Legend says that the more you refresh, the longer it will be before your portal updates. Guess I'll get my decision about June 10, 2045...

Ahhhh. Now I'm freaking out. Really hoping for good news, but just want ANY news. I've been on hold since mid-November.
I feel ya, I'm still neurotically checking, but after getting another post II rejection yesterday, I pretty much am resigned that I'm just waiting on another rejection from here. Been a rough week!

I feel ya, I'm still neurotically checking, but after getting another post II rejection yesterday, I pretty much am resigned that I'm just waiting on another rejection from here. Been a rough week!

I'm still rooting for you!

I don't think that it matters how many gap years you take, but rather what you do with that time. I think since you will be volunteering in a healthcare setting that will look good, and the fact that you are working too will show that you aren't just wasting the two gap years you plan on taking. As for the MCAT, a 506 isn't bad but if you have the time to study for it and retake it I would say that might be in your best interest. Also when you apply to OHSU make sure you are part of one of their mission based groups since they really only interview those people (I am adding the link to that site). Good luck on applying! :)

Academic and Selection Factors
Thank you for your response! I guess I was mostly wondering if anyone had any feedback on whether volunteering and scribing at OHSU has helped them gain an admittance.

Thank you for your response! I guess I was mostly wondering if anyone had any feedback on whether volunteering and scribing at OHSU has helped them gain an admittance.

Here's my story:
Applied as a mission-based applicant in 2014-2015 cycle with a 1st try MCAT 29, 2nd try MCAT 28, average GPA, undergrad from Oregon state school, lots of OHSU surgery shadowing, and lots of OHSU education volunteering, very little OHSU education research. Interviewed (7/10 MMI, 7/10 1:1), placed on hold, then rejected. In my exit interview they suggested that I needed more volunteer experience directly with patients, hinted that I should do some other shadowing in something other than surgery, and said my interviewing skills could improve. They said my MCAT could be improved but wasn't the reason for my rejection.
However, I didn't get many other interviews so I thought my MCAT was a big limiting factor for me.
Thus, I decided to retake my MCAT and start working in an OHSU Family Medicine clinic as a clinic assistant where all I do is interact with patients.
My family medicine experience was truly transformative and I was able to articulate this well on applications and in interviews.
I increased my MCAT score to a 95th percentile score on the new test.
I continued working in OHSU education and shadowing in surgery (because I like it).
I also involved myself in a lot of education research at OHSU including a few presentations, posters, and publications.
Applied again this cycle (2016-2017) and I believe I was the first person to post on this forum about receiving an interview invitation (9/10 MMI, 10/10 1:1), and again I think I was the first person on this forum to post about getting accepted. I also interviewed and was accepted elsewhere this cycle. Whether or not my OHSU success was due to better interviewing skills, higher MCAT, more research, my experience working with patients in the family medicine clinic, or just being a reapplicant I'm not sure. But my two cents are that if you don't get in this cycle, you need to critically evaluate your application, look for any deficiencies, and address any that you can. Not just to make you a better applicant, but eventually it will make you a better med student. Also, I wouldn't just do things to be a successful applicant at OHSU. I firmly believe that my increased MCAT score and family medicine experience led me to success not only at OHSU, but at the other places I interviewed/received acceptances.

Oh no! Off of hold?

Yeah. Interviewed October, placed on hold in December. Rejected 4/27. I'm IS with okay stats. I'd say my MMI was an 8/10 and the one-on-one was a 5/10.

Luckily I was accepted at another MD so I'll still be a doc ;)

Yeah. Interviewed October, placed on hold in December. Rejected 4/27. I'm IS with okay stats. I'd say my MMI was an 8/10 and the one-on-one was a 5/10.

Luckily I was accepted at another MD so I'll still be a doc ;)

Well I'm glad to hear you will still be going to med school!

Waitlist is out! I interviewed in October and just got the email, don't want to give away too specific but my WL position is between 10-25

Still on hold...does anyone know if all the waitlist emails go out at once? Hoping maybe there's a delay for some people

Did your portal get updated or just an e-mail?
Waitlist is out! I interviewed in October and just got the email, don't want to give away too specific but my WL position is between 10-25

Alt list as well. can someone jog my memory as to where the waitlist usually gets to? I'm not that close to the front, but also not that low (between 30-50). I think, however, I will have to proceed with my other plans at this point. I believe the waitlist typically gets to right around my number..

GAHHSGKJSDh

44 last year but typically into the mid 50s according to a poster earlier

It's generally around or above 50

Man. Beggers can't be choosers and I am grateful to have the alt list appointment...but my number is too close to 50 to bank on getting in :( My significant other needs to make job plans/we need to plan our lives, and I think waiting until mid-June or July is simply too late.