2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any of the people that interviewed 04/05 (So like last Wednesday lol) heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker. Thought I would add another data point.

Accepted earlier today off hold via email and portal update. Interviewed 9/23. Placed on hold 10/25. It's been a painfully long wait and I am so relieved to have a final decision. This has been my dream school from the start.

Good luck to everyone else waiting and hopefully there is some movement in the upcoming weeks!

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Accepted earlier today off hold via email and portal update. Interviewed 9/23. Placed on hold 10/25. It's been a painfully long wait and I am so relieved to have a final decision. This has been my dream school from the start.

Good luck to everyone else waiting and hopefully there is some movement in the upcoming weeks!

Congrats!! How do you feel you did on your interviews?

Congrats!! How do you feel you did on your interviews?

Thank you! I felt like my 1 on 1 interview went fairly well. The majority of the interview was spent talking about a few details from my personal statement and the buzzer rang right after I was asked about my interest in medicine, so I wasn't sure how that would impact my score. I felt that the MMI went pretty well overall as well. I stumbled on a few responses at one of the first stations, but felt like the rest of it went smoothly. Hope that information helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Friend: "Hey, so what have you been up to lately?"
Me: "I've been checking my OHSU secondary portal a lot."
Friend: "Oh, what do you do on your free time?"
Me: "I've been checking my OHSU secondary portal a lot."

April 30th, please hurry

Reactions: 4 users

Holy **** you're the first person I've heard of that's gotten an update since being put on hold... Guess ill go back to checking my portal every 10 minutes

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything about the March 3rd group? I am getting anxious for some sort of update or at least news from someone else in our group.
Looking at last years thread, there was a lot of movement coming up to the last week of April...so I am hoping we get some (good) news soon!

How does the hold group work? I have other acceptances but I'm still interested in OHSU. If I can only hold one acceptance on the 30th, and they notify me on the 30th, do I need to make the decision same day? How about financial aid?

How does the hold group work? I have other acceptances but I'm still interested in OHSU. If I can only hold one acceptance on the 30th, and they notify me on the 30th, do I need to make the decision same day? How about financial aid?
If you get an acceptance on/past April 30th I'm pretty sure you have a few days to decide between the few schools. Unfortunately you may not have all the financial info for each school

You have a week after the 30th if you get a decision, so a little bit of time but not much

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On hold 4/18. Interviewed mid-February. Complete early October. Oregon-heritage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does OHSU accept application updates or LOIs after 4/30?

We were told at the interview that you can try to send stuff if it's right after your interview, but after they have put in a score, then nothing extra will change your status.

I got the impression that after the committee reviews your application, it won't be reopened. Katy said something like that anyhow.

Reactions: 1 user
So anxious! Can it be April 30 already? I just want an answer. Yes or no.

Accepted today! Interviewed 4/5 out of state :)

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received a financial aid package yet?

I talked to FA yesterday and they said they're still waiting on estimated tuition and fees for next year. They told me to call back if I still hadn't heard anything in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you!

I talked to FA yesterday and they said they're still waiting on estimated tuition and fees for next year. They told me to call back if I still hadn't heard anything in 2-3 weeks.

Why do you think you heard back so soon? Do you have an exceptional GPA, MCAT, or did the interview go very well? I'm just wondering, I know this might be TMI and none of my business, but I figured it couldn't hurt asking (dont feel obliged to reply) :) I really want to go here and I hope I haven't been rejected and just not notified!

They said most people won't hear back until April 30th! Fingers crossed for you

thi

Why do you think you heard back so soon? Do you have an exceptional GPA, MCAT, or did the interview go very well? I'm just wondering, I know this might be TMI and none of my business, but I figured it couldn't hurt asking (dont feel obliged to reply) :) I really want to go here and I hope I haven't been rejected and just not notified!

thi
We were told at the interview that the portal updates faster than the email, and you only get an email if you got accepted, otherwise it's portal only. Good luck!

We were told at the interview that the portal updates faster than the email, and you only get an email if you got accepted, otherwise it's portal only. Good luck!
Yeah thats not at all what the question was.

thi

No worries. I'm not sure why I got notified early. Other people may have been too but just didn't post on here. I'm in the OHSU "exceptional" mission group, but just barely squeaked by with a LizzyM of 70-71. I have had a lot of success with interviews going on 6 acceptances out of 8 interviews now--the other two were waitlists. I know I did poorly on two of my MMI stations but I think I finished strong with the other ones including the traditional interview. I would rate my experience 7/10 on MMI and 9/10 on trad. Idk if that helps at all. send me a PM if you'd like to know anything else more "specific" haha without derailing the purpose of this thread. Really pulling for everyone. I'm not sure I can afford to attend without some help from FA as OOS tuition here is a monster :/

Yeah thats not at all what the question was.
Sorry, I miss understood the "just not notified" part because WillianIAm was talking about getting accepted by email.

Just accepted! So so so excited! This is my dream school and I will definitely be attending in the fall.

Reactions: 6 users
I was accepted outright via portal. Pretty glad my overwhelming neuroticism made me check the portal roughly 5x/day.

Congratz!! What a ride to have gotten the last interview date and then accepted outright! Hope my neurotic portal checks will yield me an acceptance too!

Accepted on Friday! Didn't check the Portal until Saturday night. Interviewed 3/17. Felt 7/10 on mmi and 8/10 on one on one.

Do we think they are actually going to wait until 4/30 to update us? I was hopeful for news this week, as last year seemed to occur a few days before. But this year seems to be a new beast...

Do we think they are actually going to wait until 4/30 to update us? I was hopeful for news this week, as last year seemed to occur a few days before. But this year seems to be a new beast...

Yeah, April 30 is a Sunday so most likely sometime this week. It's been a long wait.

No worries. I'm not sure why I got notified early. Other people may have been too but just didn't post on here. I'm in the OHSU "exceptional" mission group, but just barely squeaked by with a LizzyM of 70-71. I have had a lot of success with interviews going on 6 acceptances out of 8 interviews now--the other two were waitlists. I know I did poorly on two of my MMI stations but I think I finished strong with the other ones including the traditional interview. I would rate my experience 7/10 on MMI and 9/10 on trad. Idk if that helps at all. send me a PM if you'd like to know anything else more "specific" haha without derailing the purpose of this thread. Really pulling for everyone. I'm not sure I can afford to attend without some help from FA as OOS tuition here is a monster :/

From my understanding OHSU does not do grants, and scholarships are generally awarded very last minute (like August). You can look at the tuition and fees from last year, which it should be pretty similar this year, but of course cost of living will be more since it is becoming more and more expensive to live in Portland. You basically have to max out your loans, including the grad plus loan, in order to attend OHSU, and that is with the in-state tuition. I think its something like 80k+ for out of state. They suggest private loans once you max out other loans.

Based on last year's thread, a ranked waitlist was sent out the last Tuesday of April (so hopefully tomorrow, today would be better). Someone who was accepted in 2015 I think made this spreadsheet of the waitlist movement. I added in 2016, which accepted up to number 44 on the waitlist. Note that this list seems to be based on what is reported on SDN only, so there could have been movement that was not reported.

Attachments

• OHSU WL Graph w trends .xlsx
    22.3 KB · Views: 310
Nah, definitely not checking my portal every 10 minutes and this forum every 20.

Same here. Just having an answer would be great, but I'm also terrified of that answer :scared:

Yeah, I'm sitting on one acceptance out of state and would really like to know if I need to move out of state for school or not. I'd like to be able to get a deposit down on an apartment and start planning my move...

Yeah, I'm sitting on one acceptance out of state and would really like to know if I need to move out of state for school or not. I'd like to be able to get a deposit down on an apartment and start planning my move...
Right!? It's like please, have some regard for our lives. Medical school is already expensive enough, so yanking our legs with all of this nonsense. But, such is life =/

Just found out a friend was accepted off the of the hold pool "a couple days ago"...just passing on the info. Last year, the 26th (which was a Tuesday) was the day most of the WL went out, and it looked like most of the rejections went out the following day. Don't know how true that will hold this year....but for sure we now that someone from a hold status was accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
ftJKtyK.jpg

Me right now

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just found out a friend was accepted off the of the hold pool "a couple days ago"...just passing on the info. Last year, the 26th (which was a Tuesday) was the day most of the WL went out, and it looked like most of the rejections went out the following day. Don't know how true that will hold this year....but for sure we now that someone from a hold status was accepted.
Congratulations!

This gives me ample justification to neurotically check my portal every 10 minutes once again :)