2016-2017 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems insane that you could be deferred in February. So you find out in April or something?

Eh, I figure this late in the cycle a lotta people get deferred. Every two weeks decisions go out, and there's a chance I'll hear back before May/June/July..... hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, I figure this late in the cycle a lotta people get deferred. Every two weeks decisions go out, and there's a chance I'll hear back before May/June/July..... hopefully.
I know a lot of people who are holding to their acceptances from pretty early on while waiting to hear back from Ivies and other higher-ranked schools; rumor is a lot of people will get rid of those mid/late-March so here's to hoping for that

I was accepted this morning and accepted my seat! Hope to see some of you in the fall :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
... Every two weeks decisions go out, and there's a chance I'll hear back before May/June/July..... hopefully.

This is exactly what I've been telling myself since October haha, it's rough but it'll be worth the wait hopefully.

Anyone having trouble with the portal?

Reactions: 4 users
Has anybody filled out the "OSU Application for Special Scholarships" yet? There's a personal statement component, but it doesn't say how long it's supposed to be.

Got deferred this morning :( I wish we could see the numbers behind the scenes of acceptances already given out, the number deferred currently. Like where do we rank amongst the deferred??? The waiting game continues...

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted back in September and still have heard absolutely nothing from OSU. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted back in September and still have heard absolutely nothing from OSU. Anyone else in a similar situation?

August submission, still hanging out here hoping for some late season love

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any insight on movement or chances of acceptance once you are deferred?

Got deferred this morning :( I wish we could see the numbers behind the scenes of acceptances already given out, the number deferred currently. Like where do we rank amongst the deferred??? The waiting game continues...
Does anyone have any insight on movement or chances of acceptance once you are deferred?
I've been deferred since October. I have seen little movement unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been deferred since October. I have seen little movement unfortunately.
Ditto. Sent in updates and nothing. My student interviewer loved me and the faculty interview went super well so no clue what to do at this point

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you guys assume the most movement would happen when interviews end at the end of March and at the beginning of May when acceptances must be dropped or committed to by other students?

Ditto. Sent in updates and nothing. My student interviewer loved me and the faculty interview went super well so no clue what to do at this point

Would you guys assume the most movement would happen when interviews end at the end of March and at the beginning of May when acceptances must be dropped or committed to by other students?

On May 1 or May 2 if similar to last year.

II yeSSS. I'm so happy right now I could die. LizzyM ~74

IS complete August.

Reactions: 9 users
II just now!! LizzyM 74
Damn surprised for sure

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

FINALLY an II. LizzyM 72 complete in July
If I remember correctly, you guys are also IS and OSU grads right? I wonder if they waited until the end to invite the remaining Ohio State people. I've seen a couple every interview, maybe they saved us till the end? ;)

Also, I got a date in late March for my interview. I think interviews invites are winding down. The last interview date is on the 29th.

If I remember correctly, you guys are also IS and OSU grads right? I wonder if they waited until the end to invite the remaining Ohio State people. I've seen a couple every interview, maybe they saved us till the end? ;)

Also, I got a date in late March for my interview. I think interviews invites are winding down. The last interview date is on the 29th.

I'm OOS! No affiliation

Congrats you all! Were any of you given that last date in March??

Congrats you all! Were any of you given that last date in March??

No II for me yet but based on last year's posts, II's were extended till the end of this week?

II today, scheduled for 3/20
OOS, LM ~75, complete late Sept.

I will be withdrawing so hope one of you guys get one!

Reactions: 6 users
Any idea if those of us that received IIs today and are scheduled for interviews those last 2 weeks of March would be interviewing for the waitlist? Looked at OSU's thread from the last 2 years and it seems that the admissions says "No, everyone has a fair shot independent of when they interview" but no one on SDN seems to report an acceptance from like March 15 to April 30 (when the waitlist is formed) haha

Any idea if those of us that received IIs today and are scheduled for interviews those last 2 weeks of March would be interviewing for the waitlist? Looked at OSU's thread from the last 2 years and it seems that the admissions says "No, everyone has a fair shot independent of when they interview" but no one on SDN seems to report an acceptance from like March 15 to April 30 (when the waitlist is formed) haha

Its probably because you would be reviewed the last possible committee meeting. We were told that in ~2 weeks after the interview, we will be accepted, rejected, or deferred. They supposedly review deferred every 2 weeks after that, so by the last meeting, while I doubt they actually look at all deferred, they probably review a substantial chunk.

So basically, there is not further chance of being deferred and re-reviewed the later you interview, since all deferred at end of March are waitlisted.

Its probably because you would be reviewed the last possible committee meeting. We were told that in ~2 weeks after the interview, we will be accepted, rejected, or deferred. They supposedly review deferred every 2 weeks after that, so by the last meeting, while I doubt they actually look at all deferred, they probably review a substantial chunk.

So basically, there is not further chance of being deferred and re-reviewed the later you interview, since all deferred at end of March are waitlisted.

Makes sense! Did you mean at the end of April?

However to be all encompassing it doesn't seem like they have pulled from the waitlist at all. I think there has been one or two people need sdn since october.

WHats post interview acceptance rate at this school?

However to be all encompassing it doesn't seem like they have pulled from the waitlist at all. I think there has been one or two people need sdn since october.

One of my friends who I interviewed with was accepted 2 weeks after I was, but he was on waitlist. He's not on SDN. It depends on who you interview with because I'm pretty sure they have a queue so to speak. If your application is better than those that are being evaluated, you'll be accepted. Don't quote me on this but I think towards end of March, they'll accept maybe 2 people per interview and waitlist/deny the rest. That 2 person per interview may include individuals who were waitlisted, but have an excellent application that couldn't quite compare to those interviewed with.

Is anyone going to the Second Look weekend?

One of my friends who I interviewed with was accepted 2 weeks after I was, but he was on waitlist. He's not on SDN. It depends on who you interview with because I'm pretty sure they have a queue so to speak. If your application is better than those that are being evaluated, you'll be accepted. Don't quote me on this but I think towards end of March, they'll accept maybe 2 people per interview and waitlist/deny the rest. That 2 person per interview may include individuals who were waitlisted, but have an excellent application that couldn't quite compare to those interviewed with.
Idk, I keep hearing people say that during interviews they claim everyone has an equal chance. It would seem odd that they would basically be interviewing for the waitlist in late march when they said they wouldn't

Has anyone received a merit scholarship with their acceptance or afterward?

Has anyone received a merit scholarship with their acceptance or afterward?

Was told these would most likely not come out with decisions, even considering how late I/we interviewed
Can't remember if she said April or May though

Idk, I keep hearing people say that during interviews they claim everyone has an equal chance. It would seem odd that they would basically be interviewing for the waitlist in late march when they said they wouldn't

Yeah they specifically say you won't be interviewing for the waitlist, but by March, they've already offered acceptances/filled up many of their seats at that point. So, if there's only 24 seats left beginning of March, and 8 interview dates, it's safe to say they'll offer 3 acceptances per date. While that number is arbitrary, just the fact that it's March means they have to have offered a majority of their seats by then. Right? I would absolutely say you're not interviewing for the waitlist because there's still seats left, but your application still has to go up against those who were deferred already. They take around 1/4 of their class from the deferred list. Which is why even if you're deferred, come beginning of May, you have an excellent chance of getting in if you crushed your interviews. What they don't say is, yes a decent portion of their class comes from the deferred list, but that deferred number includes people from September-March interviews that were deferred and subsequently offered a seat. Last year I think almost 20 people were offered a seat in May/June on SDN. 3 of my friends that are currently M1, were all moved off of waitlist in May. Just crush your interview and you'll be fine, you have good stats!

Was told these would most likely not come out with decisions, even considering how late I/we interviewed
Can't remember if she said April or May though

Second week of April is what they shoot for because of May 1st deadline to drop other acceptances

Hey all, current MS3/student adcom member here.

I'm seeing a lot of conjecture in this thread regarding interviews, waitlists, chances, etc.

I can tell you that if you are interviewing here, NO MATTER THE DATE OF YOUR INTERVIEW, you have a chance of being directly accepted into the incoming class. We don't make interviews after X date only for the waitlist. Period. If your application/interview are good enough, you can be accepted over all of the people that have been deferred to this point.

That said, as some of you have picked up on, there are a lot of people who have been interviewed and evaluated that you are up against at this point when it comes time to review and accept individuals. Those who recently interviewed are eligible alongside those who have been deferred, and we take the top applicants as we aim to round out the incoming class. We are not going to accept 3 people in a couple weeks because we accepted 40 people on one day back in October. We know what number of acceptances we should hit by the end of the cycle to yield the class size we're shooting for, and we spread those acceptances out relatively evenly across the cycle.

There are seats remaining, and with spring approaching and applicants making decisions on their final schools, there will be a fair amount of movement. Hang in there everyone!

As an aside, if anyone is 100% sure they are coming to OSUCOM in the fall and is looking for housing, feel free to PM me. There are 1 and 2 bedroom apartments with my landlord still available for the upcoming year, and the locations are great. You can roll out of bed and be at Meiling Hall in fewer than 10 minutes walking. Highly recommend it! If anyone has any other questions regarding housing, Second Look, deciding between multiple schools, why OSU, or anything else medical school related, feel free to hit me up and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

Reactions: 6 users
Is there anyone here from the 02/15 interview group? We're supposed to hear the decisions on 03/07 (Tuesday) but does anyone know what time? I'm so tense!

Is there anyone here from the 02/15 interview group? We're supposed to hear the decisions on 03/07 (Tuesday) but does anyone know what time? I'm so tense!

Usually you get a call Monday night if you are accepted or an email Tuesday morning if you are deferred or rejected. At least that's how it has been since October.

Usually you get a call Monday night if you are accepted or an email Tuesday morning if you are deferred or rejected. At least that's how it has been since October.

Just to add, I was accepted awhile back and received no phone call, only an email that my portal status had updated on that Tuesday. Don't lose hope even if you don't get a phone call!

Just to add, I was accepted awhile back and received no phone call, only an email that my portal status had updated on that Tuesday. Don't lose hope even if you don't get a phone call!

Now I can't tell if I should wait by my phone all night Monday or not.

Where do the majority of med students live? Near south campus?

South of campus, yes. Victorian village/NECKO are areas full of graduate/professional students and are the closest to the med center in terms of walking. But really people spread out and live all over, including Grandview, the Short North, Clintonville, German Village, etc.

Did anyone get interview invites today? Or do you think OSU is done interviewing this cycle..