*****2016-2017 Official IMG General Surgery Interview Invites/Rejections Thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi. I think they will decide whether they are going to rank you cat or prelim after the interview.

I just interviewed yesterday at bronx-lebanon and it was the same. Did not specify prelim or categorical. I think thats pretty malignant because if you rank them high and think you have a categorical spot with them and they rank you high for a preliminary spot, you lose all your other categorical rankings. Smart way to go about this is rank them the lowest of your categorical interviews and in the middle/low tier of the batch for preliminary

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed yesterday at bronx-lebanon and it was the same. Did not specify prelim or categorical. I think thats pretty malignant because if you rank them high and think you have a categorical spot with them and they rank you high for a preliminary spot, you lose all your other categorical rankings. Smart way to go about this is rank them the lowest of your categorical interviews and in the middle/low tier of the batch for preliminary

Did you like BL? What're you thoughts on the program? I got rejected by them. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this is too late but I hope I could help with some info:
Non-US IMG(non Caribbean) , YOG: 2013
applied to 60 programs,

Interviews :
Maimonides Medical Center, NY - today!!
Monmouth Medical Center, NJ - Dec 2nd
Staten Island Uni Hospital, NY- Dec 10th
Hofstra-Lenox Hill Hospital, NY - Dec 16th
North Shore University Hospital, LIJ - Dec 19th
Uni of Maryland - Phone call in Jan

Waiting list:
Stony brook
Bringham
Montefiore
Oregon

Rejections:
Presbyterian
Mc-Graw
York
Mayo-Rochester
Uni of chicago
Layola

All the best guys! keep up the good work.

Reactions: 1 user
applied to 60 programs,

Interviews :

Waiting list:
Stony brook
Bringham
Montefiore
Oregon

Rejections:
Presbyterian
Mc-Graw
York
Mayo-Rochester
Uni of chicago
Layola

Congrats @Hopeforthebest! Are those all categorical IV? And if I may ask, what are your stats? Thanks

applied to 60 programs,

Interviews :

Waiting list:
Stony brook
Bringham
Montefiore
Oregon

Rejections:
Presbyterian
Mc-Graw
York
Mayo-Rochester
Uni of chicago
Layola

Congratulations! Would you mind posting your stats (ie, USMLE scores)?

categorical + prelim Univ of Miami
categorical + prelim Cleveland Clinic FL
categorical + prelim Texas tech univ paul L foster
categorical + prelim Bronx lebanon
preliminary Michigan state univ.

Reactions: 2 users
categorical + prelim Univ of Miami
categorical + prelim Cleveland Clinic FL
categorical + prelim Texas tech univ paul L foster
categorical + prelim Bronx lebanon
preliminary Michigan state univ.

Jackson Univ Miami clearly states when it is a prelim position. If you're in doubt, you're defitively considered for a cat position

Cat:
UTMB Galveston
Pinnacle Heath
University of New Mexico
Ocala regional

Pre:
Providence park

Tons and tons of rejections, all that were listed in the previous comments

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
@statia do u mind to share when you received Ocala's invitation?

If you applied to both cat and prelim when you rank there is different codes for each it doesn't mean that if you rank the program high you will get prelim that will only happen if you put the code in for prelim instead of categorical

Congrats @Hopeforthebest! Are those all categorical IV? And if I may ask, what are your stats? Thanks
Congratulations! Would you mind posting your stats (ie, USMLE scores)?

Thank you so much!! I will share my stats..
I only applied to 60 programs and 50% of it is in NY because my fiancé is here. (Hence the reason why I had so many NY based interviews)
I am a non-US international grad
Completed my Step1,2CK,CS in 2014-2015 - 250s/Passed
Working in surgical research in US:Lucky enough to assist in surgery and clerkship with the attending : 2 years contract (Jan 2015-June 2017) Multiple papers publication, wrote a book chapter on springer, presented multiple papers in national level - U.S and presented in international conference - Brazil and Oxford.
CRC certified. (not sure if this help..but the research really open doors to get in touch with a lot of people)

So,
Interviews :
Maimonides Medical Center, NY - yesterday !! ---> Prelim (but they offered me 2 years prelim straight)
Monmouth Medical Center, NJ - Dec 2nd---> Cat
Staten Island Uni Hospital, NY- Dec 10th ---> Cat
Hofstra-Lenox Hill Hospital, NY - Dec 16th---> Cat
North Shore University Hospital, LIJ - Dec 19th---> Cat
Uni of Maryland - Phone call in Jan ---> Prelim

Still waiting for the waiting list.

hope for the best guys!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!! I will share my stats..
I only applied to 60 programs and 50% of it is in NY because my fiancé is here. (Hence the reason why I had so many NY based interviews)
I am a non-US international grad
Completed my Step1,2CK,CS in 2014-2015 - 250s/Passed
Working in surgical research in US:Lucky enough to assist in surgery and clerkship with the attending : 2 years contract (Jan 2015-June 2017) Multiple papers publication, wrote a book chapter on springer, presented multiple papers in national level - U.S and presented in international conference - Brazil and Oxford.
CRC certified. (not sure if this help..but the research really open doors to get in touch with a lot of people)

So,
Interviews :
Maimonides Medical Center, NY - yesterday !! ---> Prelim (but they offered me 2 years prelim straight)
Monmouth Medical Center, NJ - Dec 2nd---> Cat
Staten Island Uni Hospital, NY- Dec 10th ---> Cat
Hofstra-Lenox Hill Hospital, NY - Dec 16th---> Cat
North Shore University Hospital, LIJ - Dec 19th---> Cat
Uni of Maryland - Phone call in Jan ---> Prelim

Still waiting for the waiting list.

hope for the best guys!

how do you get the research positions. when i mailed to various faculties they said they do not have any position.? any help would be very appreciated

Usually research positions are available in the bigger centers/labs. It helps if you ask your mentors to recommend you to them. Otherwise often you will have to work for free and use that opportunity to get your foot in the door. Once you are in they might be able to give you a basic salary or put a good word for you in other centers. Research is often chosen a route to secure a residency position because it will help you to build connections and build your CV. Although working for free sucks, you should see it as an investment ; )

If you applied to both cat and prelim when you rank there is different codes for each it doesn't mean that if you rank the program high you will get prelim that will only happen if you put the code in for prelim instead of categorical

@SurgeonPGY-0 I think @castro416 has a point here. I don't think you'd Match preliminary if you ranked categorical high.

With that said, it would be better for a program to be clear about this. It's not a great position to have to ask whether you're being considered categorical or preliminary on interview day, and it is still an awkward question to ask via e-mail or phone after fact. Has anyone gone into a similar situation and gotten a clear answer? If so, how did you go about it?

@SurgeonPGY-0 Do you mind giving us feedback on how your Bronx-Lebanon interview went?

Last edited:
@SurgeonPGY-0 I think @castro416 has a point here. I don't think you'd Match preliminary if you ranked categorical high.

With that said, it would be better for a program to be clear about this. It's not a great position to have to ask whether you're being considered categorical or preliminary on interview day, and it is still an awkward question to ask via e-mail or phone after fact. Has anyone gone into a similar situation and gotten a clear answer? If so, how did you go about it?

@SurgeonPGY-0 Do you mind giving us feedback on how your Bronx-Lebanon interview went?

They interview 20 candidates per day and they have 6 interview dates. Roughly 120 candidates for 3 categorical and 6 preliminary positions. Interview was very laid back. 1 interview with an attending and chief resident and 1 interview with the PD and chairman Dr.G. No MCQ or tests questions. They treat yo like their own, family. Residents seemed happy. No overnight call just 12h shifts daytime or nightime float. Dr.G assured us that if we get preliminary there he could get us into any categorical surgical residency in NE area since his name carries a lot of weight. All his graduates have matched into great fellowships such as U of Vermont vascular, Thomas jefferson and Brigham plastic surgery. The chairman is extremely well respected and connected. The setback is you dont know what position you are interviewing for so we have to use our own judgment.

They interview 20 candidates per day and they have 6 interview dates. Roughly 120 candidates for 3 categorical and 6 preliminary positions. Interview was very laid back. 1 interview with an attending and chief resident and 1 interview with the PD and chairman Dr.G. No MCQ or tests questions. They treat yo like their own, family. Residents seemed happy. No overnight call just 12h shifts daytime or nightime float. Dr.G assured us that if we get preliminary there he could get us into any categorical surgical residency in NE area since his name carries a lot of weight. All his graduates have matched into great fellowships such as U of Vermont vascular, Thomas jefferson and Brigham plastic surgery. The chairman is extremely well respected and connected. The setback is you dont know what position you are interviewing for so we have to use our own judgment.
Why cant you just ask for which position they are interviewing? Or ask by e-mail?

One more question. Previously was said that having 4-5 ivs probably makes you to match. But considering the fact that program interviews 120 candidates, how is having 5 ivs enough? Or other program interviews lets say 20 people and your chanses are higher? Whats an average candidate count per residency place, thanks.

Last edited:
Why cant you just ask for which position they are interviewing? Or ask by e-mail?

One more question. Previously was said that having 4-5 ivs probably makes you to match. But considering the fact that program interviews 120 candidates, how is having 5 ivs enough? Or other program interviews lets say 20 people and your chanses are higher? Whats an average candidate count per residency place, thanks.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf
See page 99. The probability of a US-IMG matching with 5 contiguous ranks is <40% and for an FMG it is <30%. I think the number 5 people are getting is from those that successfully matched had ~5 contiguous ranks (page 96). Those two stats are not necessarily the same thing.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf
See page 99. The probability of a US-IMG matching with 5 contiguous ranks is <40% and for an FMG it is <30%. I think the number 5 people are getting is from those that successfully matched had ~5 contiguous ranks (page 96). Those two stats are not necessarily the same thing.

Sorry for not understending but what means 5 contigious ranks? Top 5 ranked programs? So it means that 60% of applicants will go unmatched with 5 ranked programs? ... If yes, it will mean that an applicant that got 5ivs for cat will have the only 40% chance of matching in cat? Unfortunetely we cant estimate match rate for the first try for non us imgs because in my understanding in nrmp data given for non us imgs, it also counts for prelims that try to match 2nd time, is this roght?

Last edited:
Contiguous pretty much means "in a row". This really only applies to people who are ranking two or more specialties. For example, take applicant 1's rank list:

Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Internal med
Internal med
Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg.

This person has six ranked cat surg programs, but because he or she ranked internal in between they are only ranking 3 cat surg programs continuously. Now look at applicant 2,:

Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Internal
Internal

This person only has five Cat surg interviews, but all of them are contiguous giving them better odds than applicant one. I'm really not sure how it works for prelim though, I presume the same. Honestly, don't bother with the data. You can't change numbers. Interview hard, send follow up, and be normal.

Thank you very much for such a thorough explanation.

Many thanks for this, @SurgeonPGY-0!

Contiguous pretty much means "in a row". This really only applies to people who are ranking two or more specialties. For example, take applicant 1's rank list:

Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Internal med
Internal med
Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg.

This person has six ranked cat surg programs, but because he or she ranked internal in between they are only ranking 3 cat surg programs continuously. Now look at applicant 2,:

Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Cat surg
Internal
Internal

This person only has five Cat surg interviews, but all of them are contiguous giving them better odds than applicant one. I'm really not sure how it works for prelim though, I presume the same. Honestly, don't bother with the data. You can't change numbers. Interview hard, send follow up, and be normal.

Good explanation, @statia.

For everyone, here are my two cents. It's important to recognize that the NRMP is using the phrase "chance of matching into preferred specialty." Not necessarily "categorical surgery." From the way I see it, they're basically saying if you rank all of your surgery programs first (categorical and/or preliminary), meaning ranking them contiguously, you're more likely to match into surgery (again, either categorical or preliminary). Looking at it that way, it makes sense.

I also don't think contiguous ranks increases your "chances of matching into anything at all," even though it may appear so from the NRMP graphs and statistics. The way it's worded makes it sound like you'll have a better chance of matching into any residency in the US if you put all of one specialty first and then all of a second specialty next. But I think the chances of matching into anything at all is based on the number of interviews you have in all specialties.

If these things were already apparent, I apologize for the redundancy. If I'm wrong or if anyone has a conflicting interpretation, please enlighten me.

I think for a lot of people in here with a backup plan who are less willing to navigate the uncertain road of preliminary surgery, the rank list might look something like this:

cat surg (great program)
cat surg (great program)
cat surg (solid program)
cat surg (solid program)
cat surg (malignant program)
cat internal medicine (great program)
prelim surg (great program)
cat internal medicine (solid program)
cat internal medicine (malignant program)

Last edited:
Good explanation, @statia.

For everyone, here are my two cents. It's important to recognize that the NRMP is using the phrase "chance of matching into preferred specialty." Not necessarily "categorical surgery." From the way I see it, they're basically saying if you rank all of your surgery programs first (categorical and/or preliminary), meaning ranking them contiguously, you're more likely to match into surgery (again, either categorical or preliminary). Looking at it that way, it makes sense.

I also don't think contiguous ranks increases your "chances of matching into anything at all," even though it may appear so from the NRMP graphs and statistics. The way it's worded makes it sound like you'll have a better chance of matching into any residency in the US if you put all of one specialty first and then all of a second specialty next. But I think the chances of matching into anything at all is based on the number of interviews you have in all specialties.

If these things were already apparent, I apologize for the redundancy. If I'm wrong or if anyone has a conflicting interpretation, please enlighten me.

I think for a lot of people in here with a backup plan who are less willing to navigate the uncertain road of preliminary surgery, the rank list might look something like this:

cat surg (great program)
cat surg (great program)
cat surg (solid program)
cat surg (solid program)
cat surg (malignant program)
cat internal medicine (solid program)
cat internal medicine (malignant program)

If overall goal is surgery ranking categorical then preliminary is what you should do the more categorical interviews you have the higher probability you will rank categorical surgery. The numbers do not specifically say if it is cat or prelim. If you have 12 contiguous categorical program IV you have 90% match. That number is from the nmrp but again that is not specifying cat or prelim however if you have that many cat you all are smart to know that it means your doing well and a lot of people think your qualified for cat surgery so do well on interviews. No point in discussing this to stress you out. All you need is to interview and get a long with the people you meet that is what they want to see once you get IV it's all about getting to know you and if they like you as a person.

Does any of you guys who will interview at Providence Park want to swap dates ?
Desperately need to change to December 10th.
Have Dec 17th.

Hi. Anyone got confirmation from Yale after accepting their Prelim offer?

So quick question:

I called a program which I applied for and got in touch with the chairman of the program. I told him I was interested in the program and hadn't heard anything regarding my application status. He gives me the # of his secretary and tells me to tell her to give me an interview. I call the secretary and give her my name & AAMC ID#. She puts me on hold for a minute or so, and gives me a date.

My question is, was this just a pity invite? What if my application had multiple board fails, red flags, and etc that would make the PD not want to hire an applicant like me? My parents said that while the secretary put me on hold for a minute she probably briefly glanced at my application and looked to see that I atleast met the bare minimum and had letters from surgeons and what not.

I hope what I'm asking is making sense.

They are not going to give a pitty interview. Why would they waste the space when other qualified applicants are waiting as well. Calling showed that you were interested and that is appealing to some programs. It is not a pitty interview it's the same as all the other interviews

Today, I got an email about 2nd Skype interview for University of illinois MGH program. Does everyone have 2nd or 3rd Skype interview? Or can I think that I passed first screening?

Today, I got an email about 2nd Skype interview for University of illinois MGH program. Does everyone have 2nd or 3rd Skype interview? Or can I think that I passed first screening?

I also had 2 skype ivs for UIC Mgh. They were a week apart.

So quick question:

I called a program which I applied for and got in touch with the chairman of the program. I told him I was interested in the program and hadn't heard anything regarding my application status. He gives me the # of his secretary and tells me to tell her to give me an interview. I call the secretary and give her my name & AAMC ID#. She puts me on hold for a minute or so, and gives me a date.

My question is, was this just a pity invite? What if my application had multiple board fails, red flags, and etc that would make the PD not want to hire an applicant like me? My parents said that while the secretary put me on hold for a minute she probably briefly glanced at my application and looked to see that I atleast met the bare minimum and had letters from surgeons and what not.

I hope what I'm asking is making sense.
Happy about your iv. I have a question to clear something for me and also for other applicants. If calling to a program that has not rejected you yet lands you an iv, so by this logic you can call all the unrejected programs around in between of the season? Lets say you applied for 150 programs, 70 rejected you in the middle of the season, does it make sense to call all the programs? You need separate stories this way to show your interest. Main question is what is the best time to start calling?

Happy about your iv. I have a question to clear something for me and also for other applicants. If calling to a program that has not rejected you yet lands you an iv, so by this logic you can call all the unrejected programs around in between of the season? Lets say you applied for 150 programs, 70 rejected you in the middle of the season, does it make sense to call all the programs? You need separate stories this way to show your interest. Main question is what is the best time to start calling?

@Surgeria it is mid season so their lists of invites are already made and they also have the wait lists done most people have heard from the bigger programs already because they have more courtesy to send back the declines and don't want IMG. Most places do not reply and just send invites and will say if you didn't get one you were declined.

IMO it's to late to call or communicate by at least 2 weeks probably more. Calling is to put your app up front to get screened. If a program has 1000 apps and starts at 1 to review till they hit their certain # needed for the whole cycle it is best to have made contact during that process. We can assume most programs have already done this.

earlier communication shows true interest versus mid season communication. They know communication during mid season is more due to applicants anxiety and desperation for more interviews regardless of program. For example if you were from Florida calling them or emailing a week after apps went out to make sure they received it would have been the correct move why?

1. Applicant calling after one week of sending apps looks much more interested than almost 2 months out.

2. They are more lenient in the beginning to just make sure people are hitting the numbers they require. Once it gets latter on in season your app will be compared to the whole pool and if your average to what they already have it will be thrown out.

I have heard from several PD and their coordinators that early communication is key to establish that idea that "your interested". contacting them now may get you screened more quickly than just waiting for an invite.

Why would I not contact them now well:

1. Your showing that you took 2 mo to show your interest outside of just applying. Which in a PD standpoint so do all the AMG's they don't call unless they are very adamant about a certain place and they would make that known very very early like October 20th

2. If you were on the wait list or hold list and want to know what's going on you are more likely to be screened with tougher scrutiny since it's this late in course and they will only make exceptions if you are above an beyond amazing candidate.

So more than likely you are now getting looked at with higher scrutiny and if they are full and then get a decline you won't have the chance to have taken that spot. Waiting if people cancel or program feels that they want another round of invites out would be IMO safer move to get the most out of the apps you already have sent out.

Once again that is IN MY OPINION (IMO) but if you really think calling would work go for it.

@Surgeria it is mid season so their lists of invites are already made and they also have the wait lists done most people have heard from the bigger programs already because they have more courtesy to send back the declines and don't want IMG. Most places do not reply and just send invites and will say if you didn't get one you were declined.

IMO it's to late to call or communicate by at least 2 weeks probably more. Calling is to put your app up front to get screened. If a program has 1000 apps and starts at 1 to review till they hit their certain # needed for the whole cycle it is best to have made contact during that process. We can assume most programs have already done this.

earlier communication shows true interest versus mid season communication. They know communication during mid season is more due to applicants anxiety and desperation for more interviews regardless of program. For example if you were from Florida calling them or emailing a week after apps went out to make sure they received it would have been the correct move why?

1. Applicant calling after one week of sending apps looks much more interested than almost 2 months out.

2. They are more lenient in the beginning to just make sure people are hitting the numbers they require. Once it gets latter on in season your app will be compared to the whole pool and if your average to what they already have it will be thrown out.

I have heard from several PD and their coordinators that early communication is key to establish that idea that "your interested". contacting them now may get you screened more quickly than just waiting for an invite.

Why would I not contact them now well:

1. Your showing that you took 2 mo to show your interest outside of just applying. Which in a PD standpoint so do all the AMG's they don't call unless they are very adamant about a certain place and they would make that known very very early like October 20th

2. If you were on the wait list or hold list and want to know what's going on you are more likely to be screened with tougher scrutiny since it's this late in course and they will only make exceptions if you are above an beyond amazing candidate.

So more than likely you are now getting looked at with higher scrutiny and if they are full and then get a decline you won't have the chance to have taken that spot. Waiting if people cancel or program feels that they want another round of invites out would be IMO safer move to get the most out of the apps you already have sent out.

Once again that is IN MY OPINION (IMO) but if you really think calling would work go for it.

Thank you so much for such a deep explanation, i am not aplying this year but i will keep in mind this super high yield advises, hope that other writers here will see your reply. Thank you one more time. I will ask one more little question. How an applicant can show an interest in particular program and T the same time does not show anxiety ( considering the fact the img will take any residency spot and its not important where do you Match, whats important is just to match. How can we show interest? Location? Placing residents in respected fellowships? Good benefits and lifestyle in program? Curriculum? What is considered normal at the moment of interest showing toward the program? Calling all the programs before 20 october will make sense? ( i mean all the programs except that programs where you already have some ties)

Thank you so much for such a deep explanation, i am not aplying this year but i will keep in mind this super high yield advises, hope that other writers here will see your reply. Thank you one more time. I will ask one more little question. How an applicant can show an interest in particular program and T the same time does not show anxiety ( considering the fact the img will take any residency spot and its not important where do you Match, whats important is just to match. How can we show interest? Location? Placing residents in respected fellowships? Good benefits and lifestyle in program? Curriculum? What is considered normal at the moment of interest showing toward the program? Calling all the programs before 20 october will make sense? ( i mean all the programs except that programs where you already have some ties)

Ties to an area are how you show interest. If you have family friends went to undergrad there or know someone at the program. Connections....

Ties to an area are how you show interest. If you have family friends went to undergrad there or know someone at the program. Connections....

If i have contacts at the program this way why do i need to make a call to the chair or coordinator, contact will directly tell the pd about you, am i wrong? So expressing interest to a program ( for example you prefer community hospitals in smaller cities because you dont like big cities) can this be said at the call moment? And whats better calling pd's chairs or coordinators? Thank you

If i have contacts at the program this way why do i need to make a call to the chair or coordinator, contact will directly tell the pd about you, am i wrong? So expressing interest to a program ( for example you prefer community hospitals in smaller cities because you dont like big cities) can this be said at the call moment? And whats better calling pd's chairs or coordinators? Thank you

If your going to express interest it has to be something specific not just because it's a community program or they have large case volume that is just a B.S excuse. If you have more specific questions pm, so the chat is not about strategy for applying for next year since everyone here has already applied

If your going to express interest it has to be something specific not just because it's a community program or they have large case volume that is just a B.S excuse. If you have more specific questions pm, so the chat is not about strategy for applying for next year since everyone here has already applied

I sent you a mesage, please check pm

Anybody here interview at Marshall, & if so how was your experience?

interview washington hospital prelim 2/7

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone interviewed at Monmouth Medical Center yet?? If so, how was your experience on interview day?

Seasons Greeting from Morristown lol

My experience so far:
Have met very good candidates. Have also seen many AMGs who are current prelims trying to land on a categorical spot.

My experience so far:
Have met very good candidates. Have also seen many AMGs who are current prelims trying to land on a categorical spot.

yes the competition is fierce in surgery. Those AMGs most likely has average or lower steps.

Has anyone finished or offered 3rd interview with PD or Chair-man for UIC MGH program? I have already done with one faculty and resident.