2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed first week of February... Silence!

oh heyyy guys, silence since mid-december interview here HAHAHA ;)
At least we'll hear something after next Wednesday right? It's the last adcom meeting...
I know the wait is hard, but let's keep our heads up and not lose hope. It ain't over till it's over!

Did you guys hear anything this week? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Did you guys hear anything this week? lol

cx3zloiucaedlkj-jpg-large.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
HAHAHAHAHA. Honestly, I wanna send OUWB a link to the Fray's song ''you found me''. Yup, silence for me too. On the bright side, at least we did not get a rejection or a 3rd tier waitlist notification. But we might have waited all that long just for a spot in the 2nd tier waitlist (which is essentially a rejection). At least you have an acceptance from another place, congrats on that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in September and wait for it... still haven't heard anything:cool:

Reactions: 1 users
JUST GOT AN EMAIL AN HOUR AGO SAYING I WAS ACCEPTED!!!!I can't believe this!! I interviewed December 2nd and have heard nothing since. It's true what they say, silence is good news, so don't lose hope yet!!!

Reactions: 6 users
JUST GOT AN EMAIL AN HOUR AGO SAYING I WAS ACCEPTED!!!!I can't believe this!! I interviewed December 2nd and have heard nothing since. It's true what they say, silence is good news, so don't lose hope yet!!!

oh wow, I thought they were done sending out acceptances until May. Congrats :)

This is my limited understanding of the process. I believe our guidelines and policies are online if you would like to check them out in more detail. If you fail a class, which is usually a result of a failed exam, if you were close enough to passing (I think within 10% typically?) they will usually allow you to retake the exam. If you do not pass the retake, or if your score on the original exam was really low, you can remediate the class. I know of a few people who remediated courses over the summer, and some who just started over the following year with the incoming class - I'm not sure how the summer remediation vs. retake the year decision works. If the course remediation does not go well, I think that's when there's the option for dismissal.

I did fail one exam due to an extenuating circumstance with some family issues I had going on. I made the mistake of not asking for help early enough when I started to fall behind, but the faculty probably would have given me some leeway if I had done so based on experiences some of my friends have had. Regardless, the faculty were very supportive in allowing me to retake, offering me individual tutoring and assistance as needed, etc. My classmates also gave me tons of the study resources they made, offered to talk through material with me, and helped me out in a lot of other ways as I was re-studying. The process was really as painless as it could have been.

I don't know the specific situations of any of the 7 people who are no longer with the M1 class, but in my (again, very limited) understanding, there are several possible scenarios:
  • They dropped out for whatever reason
  • They took a leave of absence for personal reasons (family responsibilities, health, etc.) and will restart next year with the class of 2021 (this happened with one student who is currently in my class but started with the class of 2018)
  • They failed an exam and retake and were offered the chance to redo the year with the class of 2021, and took it
  • They failed an exam and retake and were offered the chance to redo the year with the class of 2021, and decided to drop out instead
  • They failed multiple exams/retakes and were dismissed
So bottom line: it could have been any number of issues. I don't know exactly what happened, and it sounds like the student that was quoted isn't sure either.

And I do want to emphasize again that losing 7 people in the first semester is far from typical so far at OUWB. My class only lost 2 people by the end of M1 year, one of whom was already repeating the year and the other of whom joined the current M1 class; I know of 2 from the current M3 class who are either no longer in medical school or deferred to my class.
I agree with all that you have said except for the criteria for repeating a course. It is not guaranteed that a person can repeat a class. It is based on their past performance on exams, as in how close they were to not passing on average with past exams, along with other criteria.

Just got an email notifying me that I'm on the first tier waitlist.

Is it a good idea to send a letter of intent at this point? I have one other waitlist and no acceptances.

I got put on the first tier waitlist at OUWB, I am still interested in being considered for an acceptance offer so should I send the admissions office an update letter?

Yaaay. Waited for 3 months to be put on the 2nd tier waitlist. Honestly, I like OUWB and everything, but if you are going to put someone on a waitlist that essentialy is a rejection then you should not make them wait for 3 months.

I'm sorry to hear about the second tier news. If you don't mind, What time did you get your email?

Yaaay. Waited for 3 months to be put on the 2nd tier waitlist. Honestly, I like OUWB and everything, but if you are going to put someone on a waitlist that essentialy is a rejection then you should not make them wait for 3 months.
Exactly the same boat for me. Frustrating because I felt it all went well

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly the same boat for me. Frustrating because I felt it all went well

Same for me. I enjoyed my day there, and I wanted to be part of the OUWB community, which sucks even more. But I do beleive that they need to change their admission process. Making someone wait for months only to politely reject him afterwards is just ridiculous...

First tier waitlist. I withdrew however so hopefully the rest of you move up!

Reactions: 2 users
First tier waitlist .. At my interview, they said LOI are pointless at this point.

Co
I'm pretty sure during the interview they said everyone gets a MacBook :)
correct! I remember this as well. Even though it's just coming out of our tuition it's kind of exciting to know I'm gonna get a new laptop (my current one is poop and was on the fence about getting a new one before school starts)

How do they pull people off from the waitlist if it isn't ranked within the tier? Is it just by random?

How do they pull people off from the waitlist if it isn't ranked within the tier? Is it just by random?
Everyone is ranked within the tier. They just don't share that information with applicants.
You can think of their waitlist system as letting you know what quartile your app fell into but not how far above or below others in that tier you are.

What makes you think it's ranked in each tier? They said the opposite, "We place applicants in tiers to indicate their relative position on the waitlist. Please note that waitlisted applicants are not ranked within each tier. You are on the first tier of our waitlist. You remain a strong candidate for our medical school."

Also OUWB is my top choice! I would love to go here:)

Do we have any idea of how many will get pulled off of the first their waitlist? The most recent number I have seen was 44 in two years ago...

Do we have any idea of how many will get pulled off of the first their waitlist? The most recent number I have seen was 44 in two years ago...

last year was 40/100 I believe so it's safe to assume we are going to be in the ballpark again this year.

What makes you think it's ranked in each tier? They said the opposite, "We place applicants in tiers to indicate their relative position on the waitlist. Please note that waitlisted applicants are not ranked within each tier. You are on the first tier of our waitlist. You remain a strong candidate for our medical school."

There must be a system in order to choose between two people on the first tier waitlist to offer one admission offer. So I assumed that ranking those applicants within a tier would make sense, but maybe they use a different method since they said they don't.

But good luck! Hope to see you in my class next year :)

If I get accepted, you will most definitely be seeing me!!!!
There must be a system in order to choose between two people on the first tier waitlist to offer one admission offer. So I assumed that ranking those applicants within a tier would make sense, but maybe they use a different method since they said they don't.

But good luck! Hope to see you in my class next year :)

Even it it's 50 people remember even divide in sexes, so 25/25. More male applicants, so it's probably much harder to get in off the waitlist as a guy

Even it it's 50 people remember even divide in sexes, so 25/25. More male applicants, so it's probably much harder to get in off the waitlist as a guy
Just curiously how do you know there are more male applicants?

Just curiously how do you know there are more male applicants?
Women are underrepresented in STEM, so I'm just assuming. Then again they could have partitioned the waitlist to 50/50 male and female. Regardless demographics do play a role so let's say a guy drops out, they'll take a guy from the waitlist. Same with girls.

Well as a first tier waitlistee I surely hope that I'm able to join OUWB!!
I would be extremely surprised to hear if this is the case. It's pretty 50/50 gender-wise in medical school applicants and matriculants at this point and has been for a while now. Our class ended up really unbalanced for some reason (35% women, all the other classes are about even) and I remember chatting about it with Dean Grabowski and she pretty much said it was luck of the draw since ~50% of applicants our year were women and ~50% of accepted students were women. I really doubt that they are pulling people from the waitlist based on demographic factors rather than fit/strength of application.
ell

anyone know when scholarship offers we'll be sent out?
They said at Second Look Day that all the scholarships that they have have already been given out at this point, but if people with scholarships choose to go elsewhere they will reallocate those scholarships to others.

They said at Second Look Day that all the scholarships that they have have already been given out at this point, but if people with scholarships choose to go elsewhere they will reallocate those scholarships to others.
So they literally have no money left to give out at this moment?

My acceptance email said likely in May

Both statements above are true. OUWB continually gives out all of its available scholarship funds (which initially happened earlier in March). Whenever funds become available they are disbursed. With the current traffic rules, a bunch of that funding will open back up after April 30th (thus the reason why OUWB is indicating that more scholarship funding will be given out in May). As most of you know, the largest amount of movement will happen on April 30th (when students can only hold one acceptance). As with every school, some scholarship students (both merit and need) will choose other schools, thus freeing up funds. Additionally, in June and July some OUWB potential scholarship students will come off waitlists at other schools and withdraw from OUWB, also opening up further funds (but this will be a few here and there, as opposed to in May when a larger amount is expected).

Is there a facebook group set up yet for the incoming class?

Edit: nvm found it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys. CONGRATS if you got in. NOW buy a netters anatomy textbook and start studying ANATOMY. IT will help you alot. trust me. your classmates do have experience in anatomy. and also start reviewing your biochemistry. it will help alot. i wish i could tell myself this a year ago.

Hey Guys. CONGRATS if you got in. NOW buy a netters anatomy textbook and start studying ANATOMY. IT will help you alot. trust me. your classmates do have experience in anatomy. and also start reviewing your biochemistry. it will help alot. i wish i could tell myself this a year ago.
WTF?!? #gunner

You'll see. just trying to help you out. alot of your classmates will have TA'ed BIochemistry and anatomy/physiology or were nurses and know everything. and adjusting to medical school and also adjusting to the new level of coursework is alot. just trying to help you out. not trolling. but whate'er. yes #gunner you better be one too.

Last edited:
Just withdrew my application here. Hopefully it goes out to one of you! Best of luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrew my acceptance today- OOS. Best of luck to everyone!! :)

Recently withdrew, but I certainly had a fondness for this lovely school. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Difficult decision since I loved this school so much, but just withdrew my acceptance due to COA/all loans FA offer. Hope the acceptance goes out to one of you deserving people who have yet to obtain an acceptance. Best wishes