2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm unsure of the circumstances of the 7 departures from the m1 class; I would love to hear more about how their journeys led them away from medical school. But assuming that those decisions were for the best for them independently, I support them wholeheartedly.

So those 7 students weren't kicked out because of failing classes? Your answer make it seem like it was their decision to drop out. Seems very odd that 7 people who invested their entire life to get into med school, to suddenly drop out, unless they were forced to.

What exactly is the process when one fails a class? do they retake a year? get kicked out?

Members don't see this ad.

So those 7 students weren't kicked out because of failing classes? Your answer make it seem like it was their decision to drop out. Seems very odd that 7 people who invested their entire life to get into med school, to suddenly drop out, unless they were forced to.

What exactly is the process when one fails a class? do they retake a year? get kicked out?
I honestly think it might have been a coincidence that 7 people dropped out. In other classes at OUWB the number was never that high. From everything I have learned about the place from talking to people they're great about offering support and what not

Reactions: 1 user
Got the e-mail last Wednesday 3/1. I'm sitting on a few acceptances so it's not the end of the world, and I think you'll have a good shot of getting in since they haven't rejected you so far.

It is good that you have multiple acceptances! What time did you get the email exactly? AM? PM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so everyone's aware, OUWB has concluded it's interview season (per twitter and interview tracker)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maybe the committee didn't meet or something? There's nothing on their Twitter and I haven't received any emails/phone calls.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Maybe the committee didn't meet or something? There's nothing on their Twitter and I haven't received any emails/phone calls.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile
We were told last Friday that there are 2 more meetings dates - today and 3/29

Calls are going out as per OUWB Admissions Twitter! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call around 5:45! Interviewed 3/10. Crazy turnaround time.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the faculty-to-student ratio at OUWB is?

anyone else low-key anxious about getting the request for a deposit? Im having stupid anxiety that theyre forgetting to email me or something and Im gonna miss out lol

I'm a current M2, I chose OUWB over several other MD acceptances, including several "higher-ranked" ones, and haven't looked back! Know quite a few people in my class who did as well.

That's awesome! Do you mind me asking what drew you to OU? Especially vs other "higher ranked schools"! I like the atmosphere but all the reading about matching had me nervous for OU's research opportunities and prestige!

I have been debating this so much recently, especially with the USNR coming out. However, I can simply not get over how at home I felt throughout my interviews and time spent with students both at Royal Oak and at OU. I think the holistic review that OUWB is using makes for an awesome student body. Not once did I hear someone humblebrag or put someone else down, which unfortunately has been the norm for the other schools I have interviewed at, especially the more prestigious ones.

Sorry if this has already been addressed but is there still a possibility to get a scholarship if it wasn't awarded at the time of my acceptance call?

Anyone from the 3/3 interview date hear back from this school?

Anyone interviewed in January still did not hear back? lol

Just wanted to drop by as a recently matched M4 and say feel free to message me with any specific questions about my experience. I'll try to answer questions as my schedule permits.

Overall, I love my med school and would choose it again in a heartbeat.

To all the accepted students: have you guys done anything other than accepting the offer in the portal? I'm beginning to feel paranoid that I missed something...

I sent in my transcripts and hounded the admissions office incessantly for a week or so.

I interviewed late January and have yet to hear back at all. Seeing that this is the last adcom meeting on Wednesday I'm assuming that I (and everyone else who's received silence) am going to be either accepted or even more likely be put on the wait list. If they wanted to reject me I'm guessing they would of done so by now. Also, I heard that if you haven't heard back at all by this time you are going to be placed on either the first or second tier wait list. If OUWB waitlists you early after an interview they'll put you on the 3rd tier list. Is this true?

I interviewed late January and have yet to hear back at all. Seeing that this is the last adcom meeting on Wednesday I'm assuming that I (and everyone else who's received silence) am going to be either accepted or even more likely be put on the wait list. If they wanted to reject me I'm guessing they would of done so by now. Also, I heard that if you haven't heard back at all by this time you are going to be placed on either the first or second tier wait list. If OUWB waitlists you early after an interview they'll put you on the 3rd tier list. Is this true?

Yes, my understanding is that 3rd tier waitlisted students find out right after they interview (same time as initially accepted/rejected students find out). If you get the "silent treatment" and ultimately end up on the waitlist, you'll be either 1st or 2nd tier waitlist. I question why there is a 2nd tier waitlist, as I don't believe there has ever been a student accepted from the 2nd tier waitlist (only a portion of the 1st tier waitlisted students get accepted), but I believe you are correct on the timing (also, why there is a 3rd tier waitlist is really puzzling).

Yes, my understanding is that 3rd tier waitlisted students find out right after they interview (same time as initially accepted/rejected students find out). If you get the "silent treatment" and ultimately end up on the waitlist, you'll be either 1st or 2nd tier waitlist. I question why there is a 2nd tier waitlist, as I don't believe there has ever been a student accepted from the 2nd tier waitlist (only a portion of the 1st tier waitlisted students get accepted), but I believe you are correct on the timing (also, why there is a 3rd tier waitlist is really puzzling).

I believe they said they have a 3rd tier because they want to distinguish you from the rejection list (i.e. they like you but they don't have a spot for you vs. they don't like you).

I believe they said they have a 3rd tier because they want to distinguish you from the rejection list (i.e. they like you but they don't have a spot for you vs. they don't like you).

Still makes no sense to me. If they are doing it to save the 3rd tier students' psyches, wouldn't they at the same time be destroying the psyches of those who are rejected (by saying "we don't like you and don't have a spot for you"). Maybe this is the case since in this scenario they would not care about the rejected students' psyches, since the don't like them anyways.

Last edited:
Still makes no sense to me. If they are doing it to save the 3rd tier students' psyches, wouldn't they at the same time be destroying the psyches of those who are rejected (by saying "we don't like you and don't have a spot for you"). Maybe this is the case and they don't care about the rejected students' psyches, since the don't like them anyways.

OUWB's set-up is still puzzling to me. Setting up a system to rank those who have been rejected into multiple categories and sugar coating the names of some of the "rejection" categories seems to be a poor strategy.

If this was the case, OUWB would basically be saying that we have the following categories: (i) accepted - you're awesome, come play in our sandbox; (ii) 1st tier waitlist (the only true waitlist) - you're cool and actually have a chance of getting in our sandbox; (iii) 2nd tier waitlist (1st tier reject) - we like you, took us a little while to determine that we ultimately don't want you in our sandbox, so you don't have any chance of getting in but keep your chin-up; (iv) 3rd tier waitlist (2nd tier reject) - we decided instantly that you have absolutely no chance to get into our sandbox, but you are still OK in our eyes and we hope you ultimately find a nice sandbox to play in, please don't feel bad about yourself; and (v) rejected (3rd tier reject) - why did we even extend you an II - oh yeah, we also don't like you.

To be clear - the point of this post is that I do not believe that the above description is OUWB's thought process, but still can't figure out their thought process

I've thought OUWB's tiered system made little sense ever since my interview day when they indicated that only tier 1 waitlist students have historically made it into the school. Seems to me it should be as follows: (i) Accepted; (ii) waitlisted (include a few more people in tier 1 if you are afraid that the tier 1 waitlist isn't large enough); (iii) rejected a while after interview (i.e., current tier 2 waitlisters); and (iv) those rejected immediately. This can be summarized as: accepted; waitlisted; rejected (which seems to be what most other medical schools do).

The formal system seems to be set up to provide false hope (while at the same time the presentations on interview day take away such hope by indicating that only tier 1 waitlist has any real chance of acceptance).

I guess it doesn't really matter, as OUWB did not ask me for my opinion or appoint me to the admissions committee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OUWB's set-up is still puzzling to me. Setting up a system to rank those who have been rejected into multiple categories and sugar coating the names of some of the "rejection" categories seems to be a poor strategy (and unlikely to be what OUWB is doing).

If this was the case, OUWB would basically be saying that we have the following categories: (i) accepted - you're awesome, come play in our sandbox; (ii) 1st tier waitlist (the only true waitlist) - you're cool and actually have a chance of getting in our sandbox; (iii) 2nd tier waitlist (1st tier reject) - we like you, took us a little while to determine that we ultimately don't want you in our sandbox, so you don't have any chance of getting in but keep your chin-up; (iv) 3rd tier waitlist (2nd tier reject) - we decided instantly that you have absolutely no chance to get into our sandbox, but you are still OK in our eyes and we hope you ultimately find a nice sandbox to play in, please don't feel bad about yourself; and (v) rejected (3rd tier reject) - why did we even extend you an II - oh yeah, we also don't like you.

To be clear - the point of this post is that I do not believe that the above description is OUWB's thought process, but still can't figure out their thought process

I've thought OUWB's tiered system made little sense ever since my interview day when they indicated that only tier 1 waitlist students have historically made it into the school. Seems to me it should be as follows: (i) Accepted; (ii) waitlisted (include a few more people in tier 1 if you are afraid that the tier 1 waitlist isn't large enough); (iii) rejected a while after interview (i.e., current tier 2 waitlisters); and (iv) those rejected immediately. This can be summarized as: accepted; waitlisted; rejected (which seems to be what most other medical schools do).

The formal system seems to be set up to provide false hope (while at the same time the presentations on interview day take away such hope by indicating that only tier 1 waitlist has any real chance of acceptance).

I guess it doesn't really matter, as OUWB did not ask me for my opinion or appoint me to the admissions committee.
From what I understand, the first tier waitlist is often exhausted and many of the students get off the waitlist. The second tier waitlist has been used in years past from what I remember them mentioning at preview day. They keep the third tier waitlist in case somehow they have a large amount of people not matriculating to OUWB. Then, they have the third tier waitlist to choose from. I do not see what is wrong with that. They are simply being transparent.

Every school has a HUGE waitlist. Most of the people on the waitlist never come off. They make a large waitlist for the same reason - in case they may need to use it. They do not want to accept a rejected applicant. Hence the formation of the waitlist. OUWB is just more transparent by placing candidates in tiers so that you know what your chances are.

From what I understand, the first tier waitlist is often exhausted and many of the students get off the waitlist. The second tier waitlist has been used in years past from what I remember them mentioning at preview day. They keep the third tier waitlist in case somehow they have a large amount of people not matriculating to OUWB. Then, they have the third tier waitlist to choose from. I do not see what is wrong with that. They are simply being transparent.

Every school has a HUGE waitlist. Most of the people on the waitlist never come off. They make a large waitlist for the same reason - in case they may need to use it. They do not want to accept a rejected applicant. Hence the formation of the waitlist. OUWB is just more transparent by placing candidates in tiers so that you know what your chances are.

If it in fact works as you describe, then the waitlist system makes complete sense to me and is not puzzling at all. But it was my understanding that only 50%-70% of the 1st tier waitlist was accepted over the past few years and that no one was taken from 2nd or 3rd tier waitlist (thus my above "puzzling" comment). If they actually take kids from tier 2 on a somewhat regular basis (even every couple years) and think that there is a real world scenario where they may at some point need tier 3, then it makes absolute sense. This must be the case, as it justifies the system. What prompted my comment is that I was told that they basically never clear the 1st tier waitlist (must have been mis-information).

Edit - I do appreciate transparency, so if this is OUWB's goal with this system, I salute them for their efforts. My only issue was if they set up tiers of waitlist that had 0% chance of acceptance (this would not actually be transparent, but the opposite).

THIS. Someone on my interview day asked and Dean Grabowski (when she was still there) basically said this--granted, in a more sugar coated way. But that is exactly how she explained their thought process.

THIS. Someone on my interview day asked and Dean Grabowski (when she was still there) basically said this--granted, in a more sugar coated way. But that is exactly how she explained their thought process.

#itsnotformetounderstand

With all this said, I'm 99% sure I'll be attending OUWB and can't wait until second look on Friday/Saturday. See many of you there!

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't hear back from this school at all. Were the admissions committee members supposed to contact you if you are waitlisted here?

3rd tier waitlisted, I'll take this as a rejection.

Here are my thoughts on the school after interviewing:

-Interview day is way too long, everyone was exhausted by the time for the medical school tour; I'm of the opinion that it's worthless to present everything about the school that's already on the website

-Very nice facilities

-Faculty were friendly

-Medical students seem relatively happy where they are, for the ones I spoke with it was their only acceptance; if you get to talking to most of them they are pretty realistic that OUWB has lots of "new school" type stuff that gets in the way of being efficient and can be rather cumbersome (PRISM, TBL, etc.)

-Rochester seems like a relatively nice place to be, community vibe

-My first interviewer was very prepared, knew my application and seemed very supportive of me

-My second interviewer was extremely unprepared, didn't have any questions to ask, was constantly looking over at the computer which had my application open on it; asked very check-boxy type questions (did you do research? have you done any volunteering? experience with healthcare?). Not sure what to think about it, but if this guy had spent 20 minutes before my interview reading my application he would've knew the answer to 90% of the questions he asked. He wasn't interested in who I was as a person, very dismissive of my experiences, constantly interrupted me while I was talking; seemed very disconnected with the application process (older gentleman), really enjoyed talking about himself and his own research

-Dean Grabowski seemed very pleasant, too bad she is leaving

-Recreation center is right across the road from the school, large facility that is pretty nice though it is shared with undergraduate students

Congratulations to all who have or will receive an acceptance. Overall, I would have liked to go to this school.

Lol rejected. One of the adcoms finished the interview saying "We hope to see you here next fall".