2016-2017 Northwestern University (Feinberg) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
View your financial aid for 2018 and it will list grant/scholarship awards along with suggested loans

I haven't submitted anything besides FAFSA as of now. Would that prevent them from giving a merit award at this point do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't submitted anything besides FAFSA as of now. Would that prevent them from giving a merit award at this point do you think?
I called to ask. I just submitted some missing documents and they were still processing them, but they told me I got a full ride merit scholarship! So it's just that not submitting the documents bars you from seeing it on your end.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean, they do need-based aid in addition to merit already?

Well for example, my need calculation said my expected family contribution was $72k so my need is $13k, but my aid package was still $85k in loans. Other schools cover at least some of the 13k with need based scholarships. Appears that NU does not have those, just merit based.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do you mean, they do need-based aid in addition to merit already?

Well for example, my need calculation said my expected family contribution was $72k so my need is $13k, but my aid package was still $85k in loans. Other schools cover at least some of the 13k with need based scholarships. Appears that NU does not have those, just merit based.

Yeah my EFC was about 25 so my need was 60ish but I got 70,000 in loans and a 15000 grant. So the EFC calculation isn't really useful haha

Yeah my EFC was about 25 so my need was 60ish but I got 70,000 in loans and a 15000 grant. So the EFC calculation isn't really useful haha
Ok yeah that sounds rough, for someone with that need they shouldn't be asking you to take 280k in loans. They like to advertise this 160k average debt but I guess that is a very misleading average of two extremes way above and below that?

need based scholarships. Appears that NU does not have those, just merit based.
I'm pretty certain they do have need-based consideration involved, it's even in the letters:

"Your selection for this award is based on your outstanding record of achievement as well as a need analysis of the financial aid information you submitted."

"In addition [to merit award], you may be eligible for need-based grants based on an analysis of your financial situation. We are committed to covering your full cost of attendance through our financial aid program."

I'm pretty certain they do have need-based consideration involved, it's even in the letters:

"Your selection for this award is based on your outstanding record of achievement as well as a need analysis of the financial aid information you submitted."

"In addition [to merit award], you may be eligible for need-based grants based on an analysis of your financial situation. We are committed to covering your full cost of attendance through our financial aid program."

Yeah sorry that's my bad, I meant to say it appears NU gives limited need based scholarships, as in, other schools will give me at least some need based scholarship to cover the differential between EFC and COA...but NU isn't offering me anything. And even tho my EFC at NU is technically 72k, my parents will not contribute anything and I have no savings, so if I go to NU I'll have to take 85k in loans every year.

the person who posted after me had a much lower EFC and got the differential partially covered by need based scholarship, but he/she still has to take out tons of loans. It basically just seems like NU has very limited scholarship money which is too bad. I got accepted to a lot of higher ranked schools but this was my favorite school by far. :( Congrats though! You must be somethin special!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah sorry that's my bad, I meant to say it appears NU gives limited need based scholarships, as in, other schools will give me at least some need based scholarship to cover the differential between EFC and COA...but NU isn't offering me anything. And even tho my EFC at NU is technically 72k, my parents will not contribute anything and I have no savings, so if I go to NU I'll have to take 85k in loans every year.

the person who posted after me had a much lower EFC and got the differential partially covered by need based scholarship, but he/she still has to take out tons of loans. It basically just seems like NU has very limited scholarship money which is too bad. I got accepted to a lot of higher ranked schools but this was my favorite school by far. :( Congrats though! You must be somethin special!

Their loss man, somebody will steal you away with much better aid

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok yeah that sounds rough, for someone with that need they shouldn't be asking you to take 280k in loans. They like to advertise this 160k average debt but I guess that is a very misleading average of two extremes way above and below that?

Yeah after seeing my fun aid award I am guessing there are just two extremes. It's ****ty but at the same time, I expected to have a **** ton of debt after med school.

if you didn't get a merit scholarship, does it say so in CAESAR?

I am dying to know whether i got accepted/waitlisted/rejected -_-

This is so brutal.

Reactions: 5 users
any deferrals STILL WAITING TO HEAR BACK?!

Still waiting over here. Just hoping we hear by April 30th lol. Although barring a substantial financial aid package, it's unlikely I'll give up my acceptance at a UC for Feinberg.

Last edited:
Still waiting over here. Just hoping we hear by April 30th lol. Although barring a substantial financial aid package, it's unlikely I'll give up my acceptance at a UC for Feinberg.

LOL, I will probably do the same. Cali weather>Chicago weather

How do they calculate expected family contribution? just curious

Edit: just kidding, i think i found the formula online

Last edited:
Been on the forums for a long time but never posted. I'm like shaking right now. Accepted after deferral! I interviewed late november and was deferred in early january. Just checked my portal today to see the good news :)

Reactions: 8 users
Been on the forums for a long time but never posted. I'm like shaking right now. Accepted after deferral! I interviewed late november and was deferred in early january. Just checked my portal today to see the good news :)

Congrats mate!!

Congrats!!! Is this your first time checking the portal in a couple weeks, or have you been checking your portal regularly and it just updated today?

Congrats!!! Is this your first time checking the portal in a couple weeks, or have you been checking your portal regularly and it just updated today?

I have been checking it regularly and it updated today. Hope good news come to the rest of y'all!

Ahhh I just checked and I was also accepted after being deferred! :) Sitting in a patient room trying to contain my excitement lol.

they never emailed me regarding the update on my acceptance status ...and just checked this morning out of the blue and found that I was accepted. Thanks...for the (basically silent) acceptance. Hahaha

Reactions: 2 users
So.... portal is unavailable from 4 am until 4:30 am. Maybe they're FINALLY loading up all the decisions for those of us deferred and waiting.

Ugh.
II in early Nov//deferred till "march"// no word since then.

So.... portal is unavailable from 4 am until 4:30 am. Maybe they're FINALLY loading up all the decisions for those of us deferred and waiting.

Ugh.
II in early Nov//deferred till "march"// no word since then.

I think that notice appears every Sunday. But I hope you're right.

I've been waiting since my interview in SEPTEMBER to hear back y'all, I don't want any of you to think you can beat me in the suffering olympics, lol

Still no change on my portal... fingers crossed for this week

Reactions: 6 users
I've been waiting since my interview in SEPTEMBER to hear back y'all, I don't want any of you to think you can beat me in the suffering olympics, lol

Still no change on my portal... fingers crossed for this week

This wait be redonkulus

Anyone hear anything at all this week? I called the office yesterday to see if they were for sure releasing decisions next week. The lady on the phone seemed to think I was asking about the alternative pool/waitlist and was completely unaware of the portal message about deferring final decisions to March until I read it to her. IDK what they are doing over there.

Reactions: 3 users
wow. this is my third time posting about how annoying this wait is, but its really really annoying -_-

Reactions: 2 users
If any current students and alums are on this thread, time for an important question--What free swag did you get at second look?

Is there any way to find out about merit scholarships if you haven't completed, and don't plan to complete, Feinberg's financial aid forms?

Just. Reject. Me. Already. Or. Admit. Me. Or. Waitlist. Me. Or. Something....

Reactions: 4 users
hopefully we hear back this week. i wish i could ignore it, but i'm painfully close to the campus so every day is a reminder of my pending status lol

omg haha, that absolutely sucks

I have been waitlisted at almost all of the schools i interviewed at and this is the last school i am waiting on :/

The struggle is real. I really liked Northwestern

omg haha, that absolutely sucks

I have been waitlisted at almost all of the schools i interviewed at and this is the last school i am waiting on :/

The struggle is real. I really liked Northwestern

sorry to hear that! did you try submitting a letter of intent to Northwestern (or the other schools) sometimes that helps! According to MSAR, people who are waitlisted at Feinberg get off by submitting letters of interest

I got into Touro-CA and am WLed at three other places... but still "decision pending" here AND at U of Illinois... like, for real, guys, my lease is up in May, I need to know if I'm going to still be in Chicago or moving to California next year, so I can y'know, plan my life!