2016-2017 Northwestern University (Feinberg) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From my understanding I guess so... no idea why though.

Does this mean decisions for deferrals will now go out Tuesday evenings?

Members don't see this ad.

So they are releasing decisions over the course of next few weeks rather than all at once like previous years? hmm, I wonder why they would be doing it differently this year...

this is such bs lol, why can't they just sit down and go through the decisions like previous year..i am so done with this entire process -_-

Reactions: 1 user
yeah it is frustrating :( for post-deferral acceptances, were your interviews early? I think they are probably going chronologically, but IDK

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah it is frustrating :( for post-deferral acceptances, were your interviews early? I think they are probably going chronologically, but IDK
Interviewed here mid-sept and my portal is the same... very frustrated not knowing if this means I've been waitisted/rejected and maybe they are waiting to send those all out at once

Interviewed in October and deferred sometime in November.

maybe you are right about them going chronologically

Interviewed end of September and deferred early November.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interviewed end of September and deferred early November.

I interviewed mid-december and my portal hasnt changed. So maybe they will re-review my app next week?

Congrats on the acceptance btw!!

Do we need to sign up or RSVP for Second Look? I had never received an email about it. Also, do we need to mail in a paper form to Admissions? I saw something about that on the application portal, but it is no longer there.

Do we need to sign up or RSVP for Second Look? I had never received an email about it. Also, do we need to mail in a paper form to Admissions? I saw something about that on the application portal, but it is no longer there.
Yeah, there is a sign up email. I got it about an hour ago

Do you know if we are required to attend both days if we RSVP?
Nope, you can pick and choose which parts you go to. There are check boxes for each portion to let them know if you will be there for that part in the RSVP form

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted on Tuesday after being deferred as well!!!!!!!!

I Interviewed in mid December and was deferred early Feb...I have no idea how they are sending these post-deferral decisions out but I don't think its chronological. Best of luck to my fellow deferrals, I hope some more good news comes soon!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted on Tuesday after being deferred as well!!!!!!!!

I Interviewed in mid December and was deferred early Feb...I have no idea how they are sending these post-deferral decisions out but I don't think its chronological. Best of luck to my fellow deferrals, I hope some more good news comes soon!

Congrats!!!!! Did you receive an email or did you have to check the application portal?

Congrats!!!!! Did you receive an email or did you have to check the application portal?

I qualified for need based. You'll get a little more than the 10K scholarship and the rest was federal loans at ~ 5.3% which is prettt darn good considering private loans are 7-8% interest (Highway robbery I tell ya!). You may also get some grad plus (6.3%)thrown in the mix but it's predominantly federal.

To the "Subsidizes out of state fees" portion you mentioned earlier. I am in state and still was lucky enough to snag that 10K. Pure speculation here but I'm thinking everyone will get atleast 10K. Once again pure speculation lol.

it seems like a lot of deferral decisions have been sent out...does this mean this is just one of many waves? or, is it all done?

it seems like a lot of deferral decisions have been sent out...does this mean this is just one of many waves? or, is it all done?

yeah i feel like they already sent out quite a few deferral decisions :/ makes me sad :/

I got the portal update and then an email about an hour later

For everyone's future reference (mostly for people in later years looking back at this), I just got the Feinberg 411 newsletter for "prospective students" and I was accepted a few weeks ago. They send it to everyone that happens to be on some mailing list, and it you get it or not, it means absolutely nothing.

Reactions: 1 users
For everyone's future reference (mostly for people in later years looking back at this), I just got the Feinberg 411 newsletter for "prospective students" and I was accepted a few weeks ago. They send it to everyone that happens to be on some mailing list, and it you get it or not, it means absolutely nothing.
Same. I got it almost every month. Before my acceptance back in October, it gave me a heart attack every month, but after the acceptance, it went straight into trash.

I did not get it..... uh oh. Did other people who were deferred also not receive it? Or am I getting the axe?

Last edited:
I did not get it..... uh oh. Did other people who were deferred also not receive it? Or am I getting the axe?

I suspect that it has to do with whether you selected the option to have institutions see your MCAT score and contact you. Did anyone not select that option and still receive the 411 emails?

I suspect that it has to do with whether you selected the option to have institutions see your MCAT score and contact you. Did anyone not select that option and still receive the 411 emails?

I've gotten them in the past. I just didn't get March's.

Does this mean that are deferrals are going to either be rejected or wait listed (sometime this/next week) if not accepted last Tuesday?
From my understanding all the acceptances usually go out on one day right?

Reactions: 1 users
Does this mean that are deferrals are going to either be rejected or wait listed (sometime this/next week) if not accepted last Tuesday?
From my understanding all the acceptances usually go out on one day right?

I called the admissions office and they said they were still making decisions on deferred applicants (and she specifically said "accept, waitlist, reject") and we should hear back any time by the end of the month. I really really realllllyyy hope she means there's still a chance for an acceptance because I just checked last year's thread and it seems everyone who heard back a week after the deferred acceptances got waitlisted. :(:(

Reactions: 3 users
I called the admissions office and they said they were still making decisions on deferred applicants (and she specifically said "accept, waitlist, reject") and we should hear back any time by the end of the month. I really really realllllyyy hope she means there's still a chance for an acceptance because I just checked last year's thread and it seems everyone who heard back a week after the deferred acceptances got waitlisted. :(:(

Thanks for sharing this info! Fingers crossed for those of us that are still waiting to hear back!

Please just give me a wait-list and subsequent rejection already!

Reactions: 2 users
Financial aid package:

Estimated cost of attendance: $85,222
Federal loans: $85,222

wonderful

Mine says "information unavailable." I might be missing some documents or something. do you think it is too late for merit if I send them the stuff now?
Perhaps they haven't released yours yet! They said they would start releasing on March 15 on rolling basis

Did anyone hear about merit scholarships?

Oh my god! Just checked my Northwestern email and there was a full tuition scholarship offer in there!

Reactions: 11 users
How did you check the email? I can't figure out how to access it

Hey everyone I'm getting a lot of PM's about checking the NW email address. The most common error everyone is making is trying to go through gmail. That's only for NW undergrads. Everyone else uses the Outlook client, I believe NW calls it "Collaborate."

Hey everyone I'm getting a lot of PM's about checking the NW email address. The most common error everyone is making is trying to go through gmail. That's only for NW undergrads. Everyone else uses the Outlook client, I believe NW calls it "Collaborate."

Took me forever to figure it out. It clearly says "Students" for the Gmail one and "Faculty/Staff" for the Outlook one but for some reason we were supposed to know to choose Outlook.

anyone still with "information unavailable"?