2016-2017 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II on Monday - Heading there to interview 11/10
3.65cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 67LM, OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email that I was placed on the alternate list. Will be removing myself because I liked OU-HCOM Cleveland curriculum better. Good luck to the rest of you this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
+1, was placed on the alternate list. Almost 100% this is because I expressed wanting to go into a surgical specialty during my interview, considering I have stats above the 90th percentile for NEOMED and have interviewed at 2 top 25 schools. I just could not bring myself to pretend like I have some interest in primary care that I don't like I know so many canidates do. Good luck to everyone else!

Out of curiosity, is it possible to go into something else?
You technically can, you get to choose your residency obviously. But at the interview they make it know that their main focus is primary care, so if you don't show interest in it I think it's harder to get in.

Just received interview, does anybody know about what kind of questions they ask or the percent chance of being admitted after interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received interview, does anybody know about what kind of questions they ask or the percent chance of being admitted after interviewing?
90% of people who interview get waitlisted cause they don't have enough spots until they see how many of their 6 year kids don't matriculate

would anyone care to elaborate about their interview day? what did it consist of? how was the actual interview (what type)? and how was the school? thank you :)

Does NEOMED have mandatory attendance? If so, does anyone know how many hours a week and if lectures are also recorded?

Does NEOMED have mandatory attendance? If so, does anyone know how many hours a week and if lectures are also recorded?

Current student here: There's a decent mix of required and non-required classes. Many of our non-science courses (our evidence based medicine class, our human values in medicine, etc.) require attendance because if they didn't no one would go :whistle: But most of our main science lectures are not mandatory; and yes, those are recorded and posted online very quickly. A bunch of people I know don't go to lecture (gross lab is required though, for obvious reasons). As for hours a week, I'd say ~1/3 of all classes is mandatory (so maybe like 5-15 hours total, depending on the week).

anyone know when the next decisions will go out? If I have an interview 11/17, will I wait a specific amount of time or hear back whenever the next decisions go out? Thank you!

anyone know when the next decisions will go out? If I have an interview 11/17, will I wait a specific amount of time or hear back whenever the next decisions go out? Thank you!

Figured I would post since I've been lurking. I interviewed on 10/6 and received my acceptance packet on 11/3, so it took about a month. Good luck!

Just to double check, when placed on the alternate list we do not have to confirm anything until we receive an email in mid-May correct?

Did they send out alternates as email or snail mail?

I got an email stating that a decision was made for my admission status, and that they would mail the decision to my home address. Has anyone else received this email?

I got an email stating that a decision was made for my admission status, and that they would mail the decision to my home address. Has anyone else received this email?
Yes, I rec'd that same email on Wednesday 11/16. I was surprised because during my 11/10 interview they said the committee was meeting on 11/17. I'm hoping something arrives in the mail tomorrow. I've read in the previous year's blogs that some candidates rec'd phone calls. Has anyone rec'd a call?

Yes, I rec'd that same email on Wednesday 11/16. I was surprised because during my 11/10 interview they said the committee was meeting on 11/17. I'm hoping something arrives in the mail tomorrow. I've read in the previous year's blogs that some candidates rec'd phone calls. Has anyone rec'd a call?
Ya I remember hearing the same thing. From the previous posts it looks like people received an email for the alternate list. So for us I think it's either going to be a straight up rejection or an acceptance.

Ya I remember hearing the same thing. From the previous posts it looks like people received an email for the alternate list. So for us I think it's either going to be a straight up rejection or an acceptance.

Yes, you are correct. After you said that I went back to the email and that's exactly what it says "Please allow me to assure you that this precise email copy is being sent to both admitted candidates and denied candidates"....I was hoping worst case to be waitlisted but now realize that's not an option. I think I was too excited to receive the email that I read it too quickly...ugh.

Nothing in the mail today...hopefully Monday. Has anyone received their decision via snail mail yet?

I was admitted to NEOMED via early acceptance. I received a phone call at the end of September from the director of admissions. I then received a letter in the mail a few days later. Most admitted students will receive a phone call followed by an official letter of acceptance.

Woke up to a II this morning! Best thanksgiving ever . OOS here with ties to area. If anyone is interviewing in January I'd love to meet any potential classmates!

Last edited:
IS Received an II yesterday. Looks like the earliest interview date is 1/19 !

My interview is on 1/19. Can someone tell me about their interview day (format, length of interview, how they prepared for it)? When does the interview day end? I signed up for 8:15-1:00pm so is the day over by one o'clock in the afternoon? I can't find any evening flights back home that same day so if it ends later than one, I'll have to stay additional night in Ohio. I'll be flying from CA. What hotels do you suggest to stay at, and places to eat around there?

Last edited:
My interview is on 1/19. Can someone tell me about their interview day (format, length of interview, how they prepared for it)? When does the interview day end? I signed up for 8:15-1:00pm so is the day over by one o'clock in the afternoon? I can't find any evening flights back home that same day so if it ends later than one, I'll have to stay additional night in Ohio. I'll be flying from CA. What hotels do you suggest to stay at, and places to eat around there?
Can't speak to the interview style as I'm not 100% sure but with respect to accommodations you would have received an email confirming your interview date after you signed up for 1/19. There should be a new tab when you open up your portal that says "College of Medicine Direct Entry Interview Candidate"

Follow this and you should see they recommend a Kent State hotel. I believe with their information you can get it for $109 for the night...

Last edited:

I interviewed last year and was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. I'm interviewing for this cycle at 8:15 on 1/19, too! :) the interview was very conversational last year. Can't speak for this years interviews but I'm assuming they're similar in format. 2 one-on-one with current MD faculty. About 30 mins each. I would double check with them about being done at 1. I think I was done last year by the time they said we would be done. Goodluck. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
The email that says we have mailed your decision...oh gosh now I'm going to constantly check my mail now. Thanks NEOMED

The email that says we have mailed your decision...oh gosh now I'm going to constantly check my mail now. Thanks NEOMED

Same email here... I think this means we've either been outright rejected or accepted. Well at least we ain't playing that wait game.

Did you get a phone call as well or just mail?