2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you once again for a thoughtful response.
One last question. Have any of your classmates been able to participate in research or is the schedule too hectic to even think about it.
Also, your assistant dean is awesome!

No problem at all!

MSU doesn't push research super hard for first years, but that being said it can definitely be done. I know a couple students doing some extensive basic science research as first years, and I'm starting with a project myself at the moment (although I'm going to stick with more clinical stuff, and less basic science, but that's just where my interests lie). The nice thing is the curriculum does give you some flexibility to your schedule, so you can find time to do research. You just have to work to find a good balance between everything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received a call?
I got the call about about an hour and a half ago! I'm gonna be a spartan!!! this is literally a dream come tru me and my mom cried for a straight 15min when I told her gah

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call about about an hour and a half ago! I'm gonna be a spartan!!! this is literally a dream come tru me and my mom cried for a straight 15min when I told her gah

Congrats!!! I was freaking out, but it's 5:06 pm and no update on my account so I'm safe until the next notification date!

Reactions: 1 user
Extremely fortunate to have been accepted at MSUCHM. I interviewed on 02/24/17 and got the call around 8:30PM on 2/28/17. I am currently deciding between MSUCOM and MSUCHM, although I'm about 99% set on attending MSUCHM. Anyone care to give me any input to help me make a decision either way?

Reactions: 2 users
Extremely fortunate to have been accepted at MSUCHM. I interviewed on 02/24/17 and got the call around 8:30PM on 2/28/17. I am currently deciding between MSUCOM and MSUCHM, although I'm about 99% set on attending MSUCHM. Anyone care to give me any input to help me make a decision either way?
It depends on what you would like to do.

It's a largely personal decision. There are a number of factors to consider: specialty interests, desired practice location, interest in international practice, interest in the considered schools/programs, OMM interest/buy-in, general interest in the overall philosophy behind osteopathic medicine, interest in research/academics, etc.

The general consensus seems to be that an MD degree has less potential to limit you in any area of interest than a DO degree, baring some extraordinary circumstances (i.e. specific interest in something that is connected to training as a DO or an opportunity only available to DOs, i.e. OMM practice); given that as a medical student it's unlikely you know exactly what you're going to want to end up doing, it may be imprudent to limit opportunities you don't even know you may one day want to take.

Of course this is all filtered through what it is YOU care about, and where you see yourself being in 5, 10, 20+ years. The plus side is no matter what choice, you're practicing medicine :).

Just got a phone call about being invited for an interview after being on hold for months. Last interview date is March 24th!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all! Has anyone's applications been deferred to the ABLE program? I'm in that boat.

Would any kind soul break down the interview day for me please? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any kind soul break down the interview day for me please? :)
Lots of presentations, MMI and then low key student interview. They have a website which goes into lots of detail.

Does anyone know when MSUCHM will release financial packages?

Me too
Wish I knew more about this than what they have on the site
I think its a one year program for academic improvement with interview granted afterwards. The thing i remember from interview day was that the adcoms think you will have a good app and would like you to come to MSUCHM but think your academics need some work in order to ensure successful completion of medical school .

Accepted yesterday. Received phone call around 8p. OOS Interviewed 2/17

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Can anyone speak to the benefits of GR vs Lansing?

I think its a one year program for academic improvement with interview granted afterwards. The thing i remember from interview day was that the adcoms think you will have a good app and would like you to come to MSUCHM but think your academics need some work in order to ensure successful completion of medical school .

It is a guaranteed acceptance program for the following year if the student meets the academic criteria for the 2 semester one year academic calendar. The amount of students accepted every year varies. It is a one of a kind program.

I have my interview here this Friday and I was wondering if anyone could give any tips on the MMI? Are they going to use actors? I've looked through the old threads but I couldn't find much about the interview other than that it's closed file with both traditional and MMI.

I have my interview here this Friday and I was wondering if anyone could give any tips on the MMI? Are they going to use actors? I've looked through the old threads but I couldn't find much about the interview other than that it's closed file with both traditional and MMI.
Confidentiality agreement prevents us from talking in detail. Read up on the site. It won't be too bad, be yourself.unless you are a person who has difficulty discussing things with people.

Do you guys know if it's cool if we bring our luggage to the interview? Did anyone else bring it? My flight is literally right after the interview but I don't want to look unprofessional.

Do you guys know if it's cool if we bring our luggage to the interview? Did anyone else bring it? My flight is literally right after the interview but I don't want to look unprofessional.
Most schools are accommodating for this. Contact the office and they should be able to ease your mind. But I did see some people bring their luggage in to the interview on my interview day.

I did when I had mine awhile ago! I just left it in the office and collected it post-interview. Wasn't an issue at all

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is a guaranteed acceptance program for the following year if the student meets the academic criteria for the 2 semester one year academic calendar. The amount of students accepted every year varies. It is a one of a kind program.
It really is a great program!

Did anyone interviewing at East Lansing tomorrow get a reminder email? I did not ... so just making sure because based on other posts on this thread people got one

Just got the call @ 6:40 central time! OOS and interviewed 3/24

Reactions: 6 users
It looks like MSU is finally preparing financial aid packages. I saw a "your financial aid awards are being determined" message on StuInfo today for the first time.

Same here! Got the call from Dr. Mauer Tuesday night around 5pm Pacific time. Ended up missing the call actually, but Dr. Mauer left a nice, long voicemail letting me know that I'm in. So excited to be a Spartan!

OOS, Interviewed 3/24 as well.

Does anyone know what vaccinations are required? I will be out of the country prior to matriculation and would like to complete that kind of stuff before hand

Does anyone know what vaccinations are required? I will be out of the country prior to matriculation and would like to complete that kind of stuff before hand

I read through the 2016 Student Guidebook (attached below) and it states that the following vaccinations are required (pg. 91):
page91image22528

• Measles (Rubeola): Two doses of live measles vaccine, given on or after the first birthday and spaced at least 28 days apart and a titer OR positive titer
  • Mumps: Same requirements as Measles
  • Rubella: One dose of live rubella vaccine given on or after the first birthday and a titer OR positive titer
  • Varicella (Chickenpox): Two doses of varicella vaccine given on or after the first birthday and spaced at least 28 days apart if given at age 13 or older, 3 months if given before age 13 and a titer OR a positive titer
  • Hepatitis B: Three doses of appropriately spaced Hepatitis B vaccine AND a positive titer OR history of disease verified by lab evidence
  • Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis: One adult dose of Pertussis containing vaccine AND Tetanus and Diphtheria vaccine within 10 years. An adult dose of Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, acellular Pertussis) satisfies the requirement for all, if given within the last 10 years.
  • Tuberculin Test: A two-step tuberculin skin test and tuberculin skin test annually therafter. Test results must be reported in millimeters. Second step tuberculin skin test should be done 1-3 weeks after the first. OR A single blood test and annually thereafter.
    If prior history of a positive tuberculin skin test: Present documentation of reactive TB skin test, chest X-ray results, treatment plan and symptom monitor. Each situation will be assessed on an individual basis by the staff of the Office of the University Physician.
    If prior history of a positive blood test: Present documentation of positive blood test, chest X-ray results, treatment plan and symptom monitor. Symptom monitors will be required annually.

Hope that helps! :)

Attachments

• Shared_Discovery_Curriculum_Student_Guidebook_2016.pdf
    936.3 KB · Views: 76
I read through the 2016 Student Guidebook (attached below) and it states that the following vaccinations are required (pg. 91):
page91image22528

• Measles (Rubeola): Two doses of live measles vaccine, given on or after the first birthday and spaced at least 28 days apart and a titer OR positive titer
  • Mumps: Same requirements as Measles
  • Rubella: One dose of live rubella vaccine given on or after the first birthday and a titer OR positive titer
  • Varicella (Chickenpox): Two doses of varicella vaccine given on or after the first birthday and spaced at least 28 days apart if given at age 13 or older, 3 months if given before age 13 and a titer OR a positive titer
  • Hepatitis B: Three doses of appropriately spaced Hepatitis B vaccine AND a positive titer OR history of disease verified by lab evidence
  • Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis: One adult dose of Pertussis containing vaccine AND Tetanus and Diphtheria vaccine within 10 years. An adult dose of Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, acellular Pertussis) satisfies the requirement for all, if given within the last 10 years.
  • Tuberculin Test: A two-step tuberculin skin test and tuberculin skin test annually therafter. Test results must be reported in millimeters. Second step tuberculin skin test should be done 1-3 weeks after the first. OR A single blood test and annually thereafter.
    If prior history of a positive tuberculin skin test: Present documentation of reactive TB skin test, chest X-ray results, treatment plan and symptom monitor. Each situation will be assessed on an individual basis by the staff of the Office of the University Physician.
    If prior history of a positive blood test: Present documentation of positive blood test, chest X-ray results, treatment plan and symptom monitor. Symptom monitors will be required annually.

Hope that helps! :)

You rock!!! Thank you so much.

to those who have been accepted, have you received anything in the mail? I haven't received anything from MSU (not even an acceptance letter), I was wondering if this is normal or if they have the wrong address for me.

to those who have been accepted, have you received anything in the mail? I haven't received anything from MSU (not even an acceptance letter), I was wondering if this is normal or if they have the wrong address for me.
I was accepted a few weeks ago by phone call and email. Never got any hard copy letter. Did you check your MSU application portal?

Campus assignments are out. I was assigned to EL; I really wanted Grand Rapids. .....to the point where this may change where I'm headed :/ really really conflicted about it.

Anyone know how much the waitlist for GR moves?

Can any current students speak about the relationship between MSUCHM and MedPartners GR residency programs. Would you consider those your home programs? Are people in the GR campus benefited due to that that relationship? Is there good mentorship provided by those residency programs if one is interested in one of the sub specialties? Thanks.

Can any current students speak about the relationship between MSUCHM and MedPartners GR residency programs. Would you consider those your home programs? Are people in the GR campus benefited due to that that relationship? Is there good mentorship provided by those residency programs if one is interested in one of the sub specialties? Thanks.

Don't forget, it doesn't matter so much if you are in the GR campus for M1/M2 because I think for M3/M4 everyone gets reassigned to 1 of 7 (I think) clinical sites. Unless I understood that wrong.

Don't forget, it doesn't matter so much if you are in the GR campus for M1/M2 because I think for M3/M4 everyone gets reassigned to 1 of 7 (I think) clinical sites. Unless I understood that wrong.

:) Unless you can show specific need:)

:) Unless you can show specific need:)

For M3, you can select any of the clinical sites, including GR, to be your site for clerkships. You don't need to show high need to move there. Although, if there's more demand for that or other specific sites they do a lottery process -unless you present a high need request, just like what we already did. The scramble for desired sites starts again for M3. Our current pre-clinical site assignments don't matter -unless I'm missing something you heard.

For M3, you can select any of the clinical sites, including GR, to be your site for clerkships. You don't need to show high need to move there. Although, if there's more demand for that or other specific sites they do a lottery process -unless you present a high need request, just like what we already did. The scramble for desired sites starts again for M3. Our current pre-clinical site assignments don't matter -unless I'm missing something you heard.
I was just implying that I will likely be in the high need category due to spouse's job.

M1 here, shoot me with any questions you guys have. As you probably heard, the SDC is a pretty weird curriculum that has significant ups and downs. I'll try to give honest advice after my experience this year.

Just withdrew my seat. Hoping for the best for those who are on the waitlist!

Just withdrew my acceptance. Goodluck to those on the waitlist!

What were the significant downs of the SDC?