2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just postponed my acceptance for an interview here and put myself back on hold..........dang. that was the hardest thing to do because now I reduce my chances of getting called for an interview again. But, perhaps one of you will get it! It was just too last minute for me (next friday), and I have work and stuff, and I live on the east coast....dang.

Members don't see this ad.

Just postponed my acceptance for an interview here and put myself back on hold..........dang. that was the hardest thing to do because now I reduce my chances of getting called for an interview again. But, perhaps one of you will get it! It was just too last minute for me (next friday), and I have work and stuff, and I live on the east coast....dang.

I get it. Wish you the best Hopephul!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do people think of the new corriculum?

I'm a bit confused as I look at the new curriculum calendar and I'm hoping someone can clarify it for me!

As I'm looking at the calendar it appears the early clinical experience runs from the fall of first year until March, at which point you switch to intersession until the end of July at which point you switch to middle clinical experience. That runs until March, when you have spring break and another set of intersession classes followed by step one. It appears as if there's only two weeks set aside for Step One? And no summer break between 1st and 2nd year? I'd like to take that time to pursue research or one of the global health opportunities that they offer.

I'm also a bit concerned looking at the budget sheets because while I realize that this is for the old curriculum, I'm assuming this all carries over. The "comprehensive" budget only includes block 2/summer/block 3/summer/block 4 but presumably there's another block and summer in there (block 1 and apparently the summer between 1 & 2 for intersessions?)

Anyway, to get to the point, this would mean as an OOS student I'd be paying roughly 116k a year between tuition and estimated living costs. I love MSU and it is definitely one of my top choices but that just seems absolutely ridiculous. I would absolutely hate to turn down my acceptance but.....116k is an incredible leap in expenses from some other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know how many applicants they accept? I know there's 190 spots and they interview about 480, so do they accept like 300?

Does anyone know how many applicants they accept? I know there's 190 spots and they interview about 480, so do they accept like 300?
Interview day, dean said 250ish.

Anyone else anxious about possibly hearing back tomorrow evening? :nailbiting:

Absolutely loved it here during interview day by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else anxious about possibly hearing back tomorrow evening? :nailbiting:

Absolutely loved it here during interview day by the way.

I'm trying to avoid anxiety by assuming I'll hear on March 29th since that is the latest notification date for our interview date

I was surprised by that answer as well. I liked the dean, he was funny.

Lol yes, he was hilarious, did you already hear back?

I'm trying to avoid anxiety by assuming I'll hear on March 29th since that is the latest notification date for our interview date

That's a really good way at looking at the whole thing. I'm still nervous for tomorrow :x.

No. The dean was definitely awesome. The corriculum kinda scares me. But I am keeping an open mind. The odds are greater than 50% for interviewees.

Last edited:
No. The dean was definitely awesome. The corriculum kinda scares me. But I am keeping an open mind. The odds are greater than 50% for interviewees.

There is definitely a lot happening in the new curriculum, but I kinda like it lol. I really hope I get in, I already started on my MBA application for the dual degree so it will suck if I get rejected from MD

There is definitely a lot happening in the new curriculum, but I kinda like it lol. I really hope I get in, I already started on my MBA application for the dual degree so it will suck if I get rejected from MD
Do you mind if I ask you why the MBA?

Do you mind if I ask you why the MBA?

I have been extremely interested in business since high school and I have absolutely love the courses I'm taking through UMich's Ross business school so I would love to continue that. Also, I know on the long-long run, I want to do hospital administration, so it's beneficial if I have a MBA.

Reactions: 1 users
I assume people interviewed in Feb shouldn't expect outcomes until end of March or do they sit on some applicants and release decisions on others?

I assume people interviewed in Feb shouldn't expect outcomes until end of March or do they sit on some applicants and release decisions on others?
From what I've seen on the thread some people have a really quick turnaround(a couple weeks) while others are a little longer. The website says something like 'a lot of factors go into when an application is reviewed'. Hope that helps!

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything back yet?

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! Just got the phone call 20 minutes ago!! I am still in shock!!! For everyone who is waiting and feeling discouraged, don't lose hope. Being a re-applicant and having to go through the process of applying twice has been tough, but it is so worth it. Keep chasing your dreams!!

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! Just got the phone call 20 minutes ago!! I am still in shock!!! For everyone who is waiting and feeling discouraged, don't lose hope. Being a re-applicant and having to go through the process of applying twice has been tough, but it is so worth it. Keep chasing your dreams!!

And Central too! I don't know you, but I'm legit happy for you! :D

Accepted. I think I missed the phone call.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a bit confused as I look at the new curriculum calendar and I'm hoping someone can clarify it for me!

As I'm looking at the calendar it appears the early clinical experience runs from the fall of first year until March, at which point you switch to intersession until the end of July at which point you switch to middle clinical experience. That runs until March, when you have spring break and another set of intersession classes followed by step one. It appears as if there's only two weeks set aside for Step One? And no summer break between 1st and 2nd year? I'd like to take that time to pursue research or one of the global health opportunities that they offer.

I'm also a bit concerned looking at the budget sheets because while I realize that this is for the old curriculum, I'm assuming this all carries over. The "comprehensive" budget only includes block 2/summer/block 3/summer/block 4 but presumably there's another block and summer in there (block 1 and apparently the summer between 1 & 2 for intersessions?)

Anyway, to get to the point, this would mean as an OOS student I'd be paying roughly 116k a year between tuition and estimated living costs. I love MSU and it is definitely one of my top choices but that just seems absolutely ridiculous. I would absolutely hate to turn down my acceptance but.....116k is an incredible leap in expenses from some other schools.

Bump, i agree with a lot of this post
can anyone comment on the 116K number?

Bump, i agree with a lot of this post
can anyone comment on the 116K number?

Current MSU CHM M1 here (so first year of the new curriculum). So as for timing with ECE/Intersessions/MCE: It is true that we don't have a summer break between M1 and M2 years. However, we do get a break between M2 and M3 years from the start of May to the beginning of September. This gives us some flexibility in how long you want your Step1 dedicated study period to last (you could do from 1 month to a few months depending on how long you want to study).

As for tuition, I talked to a couple of my friends who are OOS, and it ends up running about 100k or so a year unfortunately. I would get in contact with CHM's financial aid department to get a better idea of the numbers though for sure. I believe it is possible to get in-state tuition if you work full time in the state for a year before matriculation (but again, I'd talk to financial aid to confirm this), if that's something that might work for you depending on your options.

Current MSU CHM M1 here (so first year of the new curriculum). So as for timing with ECE/Intersessions/MCE: It is true that we don't have a summer break between M1 and M2 years. However, we do get a break between M2 and M3 years from the start of May to the beginning of September. This gives us some flexibility in how long you want your Step1 dedicated study period to last (you could do from 1 month to a few months depending on how long you want to study).

As for tuition, I talked to a couple of my friends who are OOS, and it ends up running about 100k or so a year unfortunately. I would get in contact with CHM's financial aid department to get a better idea of the numbers though for sure. I believe it is possible to get in-state tuition if you work full time in the state for a year before matriculation (but again, I'd talk to financial aid to confirm this), if that's something that might work for you depending on your options.
How do you like the new Shared discovery stuff? Do you ever feel like you wanted to cut back on the early clinical stuff to focus on studying and step?

How do you like the new Shared discovery stuff? Do you ever feel like you wanted to cut back on the early clinical stuff to focus on studying and step?

I don't think the Shared Discovery Curriculum (SDC) really inhibits studying for step or anything like that, I actually think it gives you more time to self directed studying. As we don't have block exams like most other medical schools, you don't have a major examination looming every month or so, so you're not going to spend as much time cramming for a test and then forgetting 70% of the stuff you learned within the next week. That being said CHM does a good job of keeping you very busy with weekly preparatory readings and out of class studying, so you're still putting in good hours (I still work very comparable hours to friends in medical schools with traditional curricula).

One thing I really like about the SDC is that it shifts topics week to week (like this week we focused on arrhythmias this week, going into CV physio, genetics, endocrine factors like thyroids, relevant biochem, etc), and you keep coming back to similar topics as the year goes on. For example, earlier in the year we've had other cardiovascular related weeks: a couple weeks focusing on cardiology framed within the topic of blood pressure, and another on dyspnea and heart failure. As their spread out throughout the year, they act somewhat as a refresher of what you learned earlier in the year, and then build upon that knowledge base. It's helped me refresh and retain information over the course of the year.

As for clinic in the first two years, its a decent part of the week (2 four hour shifts weekly) but definitely not anything overwhelming. They had us working with a lot of the members of the care team (MAs, LPNs and RNs, Care Managers, Phone nurses). Overall, I feel like it's been a positive experience for me. Working with the MAs, LPNs and RNs (where the med students mostly do patient intakes, point or care testing and immunizations) definitely made me more comfortable just working with patients. This last month I have been working directly with the providers at my clinic and have learned a ton from the experience, as I feel like I have been able to tie in a lot of what we've covered in classes to the patients in clinic and the other way around. The physicians who I work with are all generally enthusiastic to answer questions, and walk me through things I don't understand. It's helped cement some trickier topics (and really helped with my pharm knowledge), as I find it easier to tie medical knowledge to actual real life cases you've seen rather than just something I read in Robbins or something.

That being said, the SDCs definitely not perfect. I do feel like the MA section of clinic dragged on a month or so too long, but I've been really happy with it ever since I started working with the physicians in my office. I also wish we had more lectures, a lot of our work is just primary literature and textbook reading. It's not the most efficient way to learn the stuff, but CHM is trying to really drill into our heads how to learn outside lecture based classes, which is critical for M3/M4 years, residency and beyond. So that's not the worst thing ever, it's just a pain sometimes.

The biggest thing about the SDC, is that you HAVE to be self motivated. There's not tests monthly that force you to listen to lectures or do your reading or show up to class. It's basically all in your own hands when you get there, and honestly, it'd be pretty easy to fall behind (but to my knowledge, that hasn't been a big problem in our class).

Finally, CHM is generally a fairly low stress environment. My significant other is currently an M1 at a medical school with a more traditional curriculum, and it's definitely higher stress over there despite similar overall workloads. Our workload seems to be fairly consistently high, while more traditional exam oriented curricula tend to ebb and flow a bit with cramming for exams. Another nice side effect of this is that because the M1s aren't really competing with each other for class rank or honors (which aren't a factor until M3), so it makes a positive and constructive atmosphere.

Overall, I do like the new curriculum, they're definitely still ironing things out, but it has some really strong aspects. We'll see though how things go once we hit MCE/M2/Step studying though....

Anyways, this ended up being way longer than I expected and totally deviated from the original question about Step studying. But that all said, I personally don't think studying for step as an M1 is the best way to go about things, even for those aiming for very competitive specialties. It's too early, and as an M1 you just don't know that much yet that's covered on Step1. That being said, I've been using Anki/Bros deck pretty religiously for the last few months, pretty much just adding topics that we've covered in our classes (which has helped with topic retention a ton for myself), and doing around 150-200 or so cards a day has not been too difficult to fit in with my other work (I just do cards when I have a free few minutes here or there throughout the day).

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I don't think the Shared Discovery Curriculum (SDC) really inhibits studying for step or anything like that, I actually think it gives you more time to self directed studying. As we don't have block exams like most other medical schools, you don't have a major examination looming every month or so, so you're not going to spend as much time cramming for a test and then forgetting 70% of the stuff you learned within the next week. That being said CHM does a good job of keeping you very busy with weekly preparatory readings and out of class studying, so you're still putting in good hours (I still work very comparable hours to friends in medical schools with traditional curricula).

One thing I really like about the SDC is that it shifts topics week to week (like this week we focused on arrhythmias this week, going into CV physio, genetics, endocrine factors like thyroids, relevant biochem, etc), and you keep coming back to similar topics as the year goes on. For example, earlier in the year we've had other cardiovascular related weeks: a couple weeks focusing on cardiology framed within the topic of blood pressure, and another on dyspnea and heart failure. As their spread out throughout the year, they act somewhat as a refresher of what you learned earlier in the year, and then build upon that knowledge base. It's helped me refresh and retain information over the course of the year.

As for clinic in the first two years, its a decent part of the week (2 four hour shifts weekly) but definitely not anything overwhelming. They had us working with a lot of the members of the care team (MAs, LPNs and RNs, Care Managers, Phone nurses). Overall, I feel like it's been a positive experience for me. Working with the MAs, LPNs and RNs (where the med students mostly do patient intakes, point or care testing and immunizations) definitely made me more comfortable just working with patients. This last month I have been working directly with the providers at my clinic and have learned a ton from the experience, as I feel like I have been able to tie in a lot of what we've covered in classes to the patients in clinic and the other way around. The physicians who I work with are all generally enthusiastic to answer questions, and walk me through things I don't understand. It's helped cement some trickier topics (and really helped with my pharm knowledge), as I find it easier to tie medical knowledge to actual real life cases you've seen rather than just something I read in Robbins or something.

That being said, the SDCs definitely not perfect. I do feel like the MA section of clinic dragged on a month or so too long, but I've been really happy with it ever since I started working with the physicians in my office. I also wish we had more lectures, a lot of our work is just primary literature and textbook reading. It's not the most efficient way to learn the stuff, but CHM is trying to really drill into our heads how to learn outside lecture based classes, which is critical for M3/M4 years, residency and beyond. So that's not the worst thing ever, it's just a pain sometimes.

The biggest thing about the SDC, is that you HAVE to be self motivated. There's not tests monthly that force you to listen to lectures or do your reading or show up to class. It's basically all in your own hands when you get there, and honestly, it'd be pretty easy to fall behind (but to my knowledge, that hasn't been a big problem in our class).

Finally, CHM is generally a fairly low stress environment. My significant other is currently an M1 at a medical school with a more traditional curriculum, and it's definitely higher stress over there despite similar overall workloads. Our workload seems to be fairly consistently high, while more traditional exam oriented curricula tend to ebb and flow a bit with cramming for exams. Another nice side effect of this is that because the M1s aren't really competing with each other for class rank or honors (which aren't a factor until M3), so it makes a positive and constructive atmosphere.

Overall, I do like the new curriculum, they're definitely still ironing things out, but it has some really strong aspects. We'll see though how things go once we hit MCE/M2/Step studying though....

Anyways, this ended up being way longer than I expected and totally deviated from the original question about Step studying. But that all said, I personally don't think studying for step as an M1 is the best way to go about things, even for those aiming for very competitive specialties. It's too early, and as an M1 you just don't know that much yet that's covered on Step1. That being said, I've been using Anki/Bros deck pretty religiously for the last few months, pretty much just adding topics that we've covered in our classes (which has helped with topic retention a ton for myself), and doing around 150-200 or so cards a day has not been too difficult to fit in with my other work (I just do cards when I have a free few minutes here or there throughout the day).
Thank you for sharing your experience :)!

Thanks for sharing this! Even tho You had mentioned there are no monthly exams, does CHM still have a way to evaluate students grasp of the material? Progress checks was something they mentioned on interview day...could you tell us about that if you don't mind?

Thanks for sharing this! Even tho You had mentioned there are no monthly exams, does CHM still have a way to evaluate students grasp of the material? Progress checks was something they mentioned on interview day...could you tell us about that if you don't mind?

CHM gives us a few different ways to check our understanding on topics, both micro (what we've been covering each week) and macro (how we're progressing in our general knowledge).

Micro: At the start of the week, we take a weekly IRAT quiz, which tests on our weekend preparatory material. At the end of the week, we have a 'Formative Assessment' (FA), which tests us on both this weeks material (~20-25 questions) and earlier material (5-10 questions). The FA is away to test our understanding of the weeks material and see if we can recall earlier topics covered. Also in anatomy each week we have end of class quizzes, which tests us on the weeks anatomy materials. So while we have a few different modules of quizzes each week, they're all "Formative", which essentially means that they do not count towards are final grade, and are rather just for us to get an idea of how well we grasp the material for each week/class.

Macro: So as the weekly quizzes test our understanding of that weeks material, we have exam suites that test the progression of our total medical knowledge. The Progress Suite Exams, which are twice a semester, consist of three exams, taken one a week for three weeks. Of these, there are 2 Step1 exams (1 NBME exam and 1 in-house exam) and 1 Practical Clinical Skills Exam (which is essentially a practice Step 2 - Clinical Skills). The pass scores at the beginning of M1 year are fairly low and then consistently go up as you progress through M1 and M2 year. The gist of these are to see how well you retain what we've learned and synthesize it into retained medical knowledge, and so far the class seems to be progressing on these fairly well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
CHM gives us a few different ways to check our understanding on topics, both micro (what we've been covering each week) and macro (how we're progressing in our general knowledge).

Micro: At the start of the week, we take a weekly IRAT quiz, which tests on our weekend preparatory material. At the end of the week, we have a 'Formative Assessment' (FA), which tests us on both this weeks material (~20-25 questions) and earlier material (5-10 questions). The FA is away to test our understanding of the weeks material and see if we can recall earlier topics covered. Also in anatomy each week we have end of class quizzes, which tests us on the weeks anatomy materials. So while we have a few different modules of quizzes each week, they're all "Formative", which essentially means that they do not count towards are final grade, and are rather just for us to get an idea of how well we grasp the material for each week/class.

Macro: So as the weekly quizzes test our understanding of that weeks material, we have exam suites that test the progression of our total medical knowledge. The Progress Suite Exams, which are twice a semester, consist of three exams, taken one a week for three weeks. Of these, there are 2 Step1 exams (1 NBME exam and 1 in-house exam) and 1 Practical Clinical Skills Exam (which is essentially a practice Step 2 - Clinical Skills). The pass scores at the beginning of M1 year are fairly low and then consistently go up as you progress through M1 and M2 year. The gist of these are to see how well you retain what we've learned and synthesize it into retained medical knowledge, and so far the class seems to be progressing on these fairly well.
Did you have any apprehension going to this sort of curriculum from a traditional college curriculum? Is the administration open to suggestions and changes based on feedback from the class? Do you classmates like the structure of the curriculum?

Did you have any apprehension going to this sort of curriculum from a traditional college curriculum? Is the administration open to suggestions and changes based on feedback from the class? Do you classmates like the structure of the curriculum?

Yeah, I was honestly a little anxious about it when I started. I did grad school and undergrad in very traditional didactic setups, so it took a bit of getting used to it, and making the transition. Overall though I'm pretty happy with the setup of the curriculum. There's obviously things I would change here and there, but overall I feel like I'm getting a decent grasp of the material we're supposed to learn. (As I said before though, a lot of it comes down to self motivation. You don't have to study for block exams, so you have to make yourself study as much or as little as you want. However, the classwork load at least will keep you fairly busy).

Overall, I think the class has adapted well to the new curriculum. Most of us we annoyed towards because it was a big change from the heavily didactic curriculum that we were used to. But as the years gone on, we've figured out how to best approach learning the material and gotten into the groove with things, so people are a lot more relaxed with the curriculum then they were. Some still don't like it, but I think most are at least content with things (not everyone is ever going to be ecstatic with a medical school curriculum, no matter where you go).

As for admin listening to us: yes and no. It seems like there are some changes that we ask for which they make pretty much right away (and they do take a ton of feedback for us). However, there have been a couple incidences where students have tried to get things changed or adjusted and they have refused. Again though, you're probably going to something like that at most medical schools, and I will say that CHM at least seems like they're taking our feedback into consideration most of the time (even if they don't always make the changes).

Yeah, I was honestly a little anxious about it when I started. I did grad school and undergrad in very traditional didactic setups, so it took a bit of getting used to it, and making the transition. Overall though I'm pretty happy with the setup of the curriculum. There's obviously things I would change here and there, but overall I feel like I'm getting a decent grasp of the material we're supposed to learn. (As I said before though, a lot of it comes down to self motivation. You don't have to study for block exams, so you have to make yourself study as much or as little as you want. However, the classwork load at least will keep you fairly busy).

Overall, I think the class has adapted well to the new curriculum. Most of us we annoyed towards because it was a big change from the heavily didactic curriculum that we were used to. But as the years gone on, we've figured out how to best approach learning the material and gotten into the groove with things, so people are a lot more relaxed with the curriculum then they were. Some still don't like it, but I think most are at least content with things (not everyone is ever going to be ecstatic with a medical school curriculum, no matter where you go).

As for admin listening to us: yes and no. It seems like there are some changes that we ask for which they make pretty much right away (and they do take a ton of feedback for us). However, there have been a couple incidences where students have tried to get things changed or adjusted and they have refused. Again though, you're probably going to something like that at most medical schools, and I will say that CHM at least seems like they're taking our feedback into consideration most of the time (even if they don't always make the changes).
Thank you once again for a thoughtful response.
One last question. Have any of your classmates been able to participate in research or is the schedule too hectic to even think about it.
Also, your assistant dean is awesome!