2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody been able to access the portal recently? I've tried a few times last few days, and I think quite a while ago and nothing would load

They've been having some technical difficulties, not sure for how long

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean to be forwarded for Preliminary review on 8/10 without any update since?

Reactions: 1 user
When is the last interview day? Mine is on March 24

For those who have already interviewed, what are your thoughts on the new curriculum and how it may affect Step 1 preparation? Thanks!
I think it has potential of being a nice program. I'm not sure all of the clinic experience in the first year will really be that beneficial in any way towards tests or clinical experience. I think this program is going to rely heavily on your own ability to be disciplined in your studies. I could totally be wrong of course. Just my own impression of the program from interview day and the M1s

Rejected this morning pre-II. OOS. Complete early October. Good luck to those with interviews and still under consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: NVM found answer to my question

Last edited:
Hi all, current student at MSUCHM with a few pointers.

There is no reason you should think that CHM will provide you with an education sufficient for you to do well on boards. Your step 1 score is entirely dependent on your own hard work outside of studying for CHM courses. If you get a 250, it will be because of YOU, not CHM. In fact, I will go as far as to say that CHM courses actually negatively impacts your board scores because studying for CHM courses do NOT help you in studying for boards. But you study CHM materials because you need to pass your classes to take the boards.

Alternate list people - you won't hear anything until after May/June. Send in updates before then. Expect to be placed in EL, where everything is trash despite what CHM tries to tell you. GR and EL are not equal.

Lastly, if you want to match ortho, optho, derm, urology, etc. please don't think CHM will help you get there. Our research is subpar, it's hard to get as a med student here, and it's not for those of you who want 10 publications on your CV. Go to University of Michigan, or even Wayne State. They have superior clinical rotations at their own university hospitals whereas CHM does not - we rotate at POS small town non academic hospitals. The faculty at UofM and Wayne are also more well known. You will have better letters, better networking, and better chances at matching.

The cherry on top: Tuition is also higher at CHM for unexplained reasons.

Don't go here unless it's the only MD school you get into.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

There is no reason you should think that CHM will provide you with an education sufficient for you to do well on boards. Your step 1 score is entirely dependent on your own hard work outside of studying for CHM courses. If you get a 250, it will be because of YOU, not CHM. In fact, I will go as far as to say that CHM courses actually negatively impacts your board scores because studying for CHM courses do NOT help you in studying for boards. But you study CHM materials because you need to pass your classes to take the boards.

Alternate list people - you won't hear anything until after May/June. Send in updates before then. Expect to be placed in EL, where everything is trash despite what CHM tries to tell you. GR and EL are not equal.

Lastly, if you want to match ortho, optho, derm, urology, etc. please don't think CHM will help you get there. Our research is subpar, it's hard to get as a med student here, and it's not for those of you who want 10 publications on your CV. Go to University of Michigan, or even Wayne State. They have superior clinical rotations at their own university hospitals whereas CHM does not - we rotate at POS small town non academic hospitals. The faculty at UofM and Wayne are also more well known. You will have better letters, better networking, and better chances at matching.

Well at least you're blunt lol.

Wow, that's concerning. Could you please elaborate on your experience so far? How is the new curriculum?

You sound like someone who is having a rough week. That doesn't mean that you get to spew nonsense and potentially deter applicants from going to CHM. For starters, there are no "courses" at CHM. Everything is integrated with no separate "biochem," "pathology," microbiology," etc. courses. What we do in small groups is PBL (problem based learning). The questions we tackle are modeled so that we understand the necessary sciences in a clinical context. Basically, instead of learning the sciences in courses during the first two years and then trying to synthesize that information in a meaningful way during 3rd and 4th year rotations, we are starting off by learning the science in a clinical context. I've seen many board style review questions (NBME, Kaplan, UWORLD) and what we do every day is aimed towards answering those style of questions. There simply are no classes to pass to take boards. And speaking of boards, CHM has traditionally gotten their students to score higher on boards than what they were projected to score based off their MCAT. In other words, we overachieve as students. The new curriculum is designed to push that score higher and also prepare us for residency by teaching us how to be DOCTORS, not test takers.

I've seen both campuses. While GR is newer and shinier, the EL facilities are more than sufficient to facilitate your learning. The students in EL are very happy.

This entire paragraph is nonsense. People match into those specialties all the time from CHM. The person who posted this probably did poorly and is taking it our on the school. There is plenty of research at both campuses. Recently, MSU has taken a bigger initiative to bring more researchers to Michigan. The new dean has research as one of his main focuses going forwards. There is a new research building that is being built in downtown GR that will open up this Spring/Summer. If you want to do research, you will have plenty of opportunities. You're at a Big Ten school for crying out loud. CHM's mission is focused on helping Michigan communities. We don't have an ivory tower, but we do make an impact on all of the Michigan communities that we are in. Spectrum and Sparrow are big hospitals with residents. The people who actually match the best as a group actually rotate in the UP. There are no residents up there so the medical students often get to do many things that the average medical student wouldn't get to do.

While typing this up, I couldn't help but think that bestvenom is either trolling, a rejected applicant, or some CHM student who is mad at the school for some reason. I honestly hope you get professional help if you are not doing well or are in a bad mental state. Go to the academic success center or go see the people at the wellness office. But please don't misinform applicants because of your issues.

SDNers, take anything you hear on SDN with a grain of salt. Take my post with a grain of salt too if you wish. Check out the school if you are accepted. Go visit either or both campuses. Talk to faculty and students. Ask us what we like most and what we like least about the school. No school is perfect and CHM has its own kinks. Any school will give you the tools to succeed, but it's largely up to you how you use the tools. I was accepted to multiple MD schools and I decided to come to CHM. I have no regrets and would do it all over again if I had the choice. Go wherever you feel that you will succeed and be happy.

Reactions: 11 users

You sound like someone who is having a rough week. That doesn't mean that you get to spew nonsense and potentially deter applicants from going to CHM. For starters, there are no "courses" at CHM. Everything is integrated with no separate "biochem," "pathology," microbiology," etc. courses. What we do in small groups is PBL (problem based learning). The questions we tackle are modeled so that we understand the necessary sciences in a clinical context. Basically, instead of learning the sciences in courses during the first two years and then trying to synthesize that information in a meaningful way during 3rd and 4th year rotations, we are starting off by learning the science in a clinical context. I've seen many board style review questions (NBME, Kaplan, UWORLD) and what we do every day is aimed towards answering those style of questions. There simply are no classes to pass to take boards. And speaking of boards, CHM has traditionally gotten their students to score higher on boards than what they were projected to score based off their MCAT. In other words, we overachieve as students. The new curriculum is designed to push that score higher and also prepare us for residency by teaching us how to be DOCTORS, not test takers.

I've seen both campuses. While GR is newer and shinier, the EL facilities are more than sufficient to facilitate your learning. The students in EL are very happy.

This entire paragraph is nonsense. People match into those specialties all the time from CHM. The person who posted this probably did poorly and is taking it our on the school. There is plenty of research at both campuses. Recently, MSU has taken a bigger initiative to bring more researchers to Michigan. The new dean has research as one of his main focuses going forwards. There is a new research building that is being built in downtown GR that will open up this Spring/Summer. If you want to do research, you will have plenty of opportunities. You're at a Big Ten school for crying out loud. CHM's mission is focused on helping Michigan communities. We don't have an ivory tower, but we do make an impact on all of the Michigan communities that we are in. Spectrum and Sparrow are big hospitals with residents. The people who actually match the best as a group actually rotate in the UP. There are no residents up there so the medical students often get to do many things that the average medical student wouldn't get to do.

While typing this up, I couldn't help but think that bestvenom is either trolling, a rejected applicant, or some CHM student who is mad at the school for some reason. I honestly hope you get professional help if you are not doing well or are in a bad mental state. Go to the academic success center or go see the people at the wellness office. But please don't misinform applicants because of your issues.

SDNers, take anything you hear on SDN with a grain of salt. Take my post with a grain of salt too if you wish. Check out the school if you are accepted. Go visit either or both campuses. Talk to faculty and students. Ask us what we like most and what we like least about the school. No school is perfect and CHM has its own kinks. Any school will give you the tools to succeed, but it's largely up to you how you use the tools. I was accepted to multiple MD schools and I decided to come to CHM. I have no regrets and would do it all over again if I had the choice. Go wherever you feel that you will succeed and be happy.
Or they could be a current waitlistee trying to get others to withdraw so they have a better shot.... wouldn't surprise me on SDN.
I got a completely different impression than this person is suggesting off what i saw personally while I was there and based off what other current students from each year said.
I agree that if this person truly is a current student, they're probably just going thru a rough patch at the moment and are trying to vent.

I am a current M1 at the Grand Rapids campus. To those of you considering it, MSUCHM is a phenomenal program. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. I turned down several other MD programs to attend and I have never once regretted my decision. In my mind, the new curriculum couldn't be better designed for board prep. The curriculum is completely integrative in nature. There are NO exams except for NBMEs to gauge our progress. This has allowed for much more autonomy and self directed learning, less pointless binge memorization, and after all lets face it, step 1 is all about what YOU put into it... no med school curriculum is going to guarantee you 250+. If thats what you're gunning for, then you'll have to go above and beyond with any programs curriculum. As for research, I haven't had any trouble thus far. Lots of students that put in the time are able to get publications. I came into med school already having a lot of research experience and I was able to easily find more opportunities than I could possibly take on. The medical mile is constantly growing. Grand Rapids is the place to be; just look at the match list from the past few years. Even all of the residency/fellowship options through MSU/GRMEP are expanding to cover more fields. You can find opportunities for just about any area you'd want. Umich and Wayne are great programs, but don't just write off MSU because of what some disgruntled person wrote on SDN. Check the place out for yourself and see what you think. I'd be happy to answer questions about the new curriculum/program in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
I am a current M1 at the Grand Rapids campus. To those of you considering it, MSUCHM is a phenomenal program. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. I turned down several other MD programs to attend and I have never once regretted my decision. In my mind, the new curriculum couldn't be better designed for board prep. The curriculum is completely integrative in nature. There are NO exams except for NBMEs to gauge our progress. This has allowed for much more autonomy and self directed learning, less pointless binge memorization, and after all lets face it, step 1 is all about what YOU put into it... no med school curriculum is going to guarantee you 250+. If thats what you're gunning for, then you'll have to go above and beyond with any programs curriculum. As for research, I haven't had any trouble thus far. Lots of students that put in the time are able to get publications. I came into med school already having a lot of research experience and I was able to easily find more opportunities than I could possibly take on. The medical mile is constantly growing. Grand Rapids is the place to be; just look at the match list from the past few years. Even all of the residency/fellowship options through MSU/GRMEP are expanding to cover more fields. You can find opportunities for just about any area you'd want. Umich and Wayne are great programs, but don't just write off MSU because of what some disgruntled upperclassman wrote on SDN. Check the place out for yourself and see what you think. I'd be happy to answer questions about the new curriculum/program in general.

Can you please comment on the shared discovery curriculum? It looks very 'busy' with all the shadowing. From the sample schedules it looks like most of the day consists of required activities. How much time is there for studying? I have a family and was originally planning to go to a program where I could watch recorded lectures and study independently but I really like the integrated nature of chm's new program.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can you please comment on the shared discovery curriculum? It looks very 'busy' with all the shadowing. From the sample schedules it looks like most of the day consists of required activities. How much time is there for studying? I have a family and was originally planning to go to a program where I could watch recorded lectures and study independently but I really like the integrated nature of chm's new program.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Medical school in general is very difficult to exceed at without sacrificing other aspects of your life. Having a family and maintaining that relationship is important but that being said I'm sure you realize that by having a family you will face an uphill battle. Don't stress too much though, I have several classmates with families and they seem to manage fine. The difficult concept to convey is that, a lot of the pressure of med school is self-originating. Your long-term goals are going to determine how much effort and how much sacrifice are necessary to "succeed" in this curriculum. Is your goal to master clinical skills? Is your goal to absolutely destroy the board exam? Are you trying to match family med or a surgical sub-speciality? All of these factors come into play. The SDC provides unlimited freedom in what I study and where I focus my efforts. Yes, CHM gives me an outline and provides me resources from which to guide my learning, but I have the freedom to integrate all of the board prep I desire in my day to day activities. We don't have block exams, and we learn material in a novel and integrative way. What does that mean exactly? It is difficult to explain but I have fully come to embrace it. Topics are based around common clinical presentations and areas of focus stem from there into every encompassing subject. If you are not someone who is self-motivated to learn medicine, I could see this curriculum as being challenging. Some people need a weekly exam to stay motivated. If you are self-motivated and able to push yourself, this curriculum is amazing for focusing on high-yield concepts and board focused learning. I have complete freedom in deciding how and what I study. I have already integrated my resources for board prep while following the SDC curriculum without any problem... That is something that other "traditional" curriculums can make very challenging.

To answer your question, I spend around 80 hours a week studying/being in clinic/class. Having time to study is not a concern. You will be studying ALL the time and it will be much different from your undergraduate experience in terms of volume/breadth of material. We do have some required training every week, which is typically clinical skills. Some days feel a bit exhausting but I do find the extra/early clinical training to complement the basic science studying, even when it feels like a waste of my time. The curriculum follows a flipped classroom model, so it is almost entirely independent study supplemented with faculty engagement in small groups. If you are looking for a live lecture based curriculum, CHM is the furthest thing from it. The integrative nature of the program is so so so good. I am certain that this is the type of model that every school will be moving towards in the future. Not only does it make it easier to transition your basic science knowledge to clinical situations.... it really has been amazing at keeping the knowledge retained long-term. As an example, I understand the different types of drugs used to treat hypertension, and how they work, because I see them prescribed in the clinic for patients that have hypertension. I learned the basic science, the clinical science, and saw patients with the pathology all at the same time. I was somewhat skeptical early on, but it really has been helpful. The concept of using real clinical experience to enhance the foundations of my knowledge is amazing. I am learning and RETAINING medical science because I see it in practice. After experiencing this type of learning, I could never go back to a traditional class room model with a "biochem" class or an organ-based domain. It just makes so much sense this way. It is training you in a more logical way, in the same line that a physician would think about a clinical problem.

Once you are accepted, I would reach out to CHM and ask to speak with a current student that has a family. They would be better able to address those kinds of concerns. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Medical school in general is very difficult to exceed at without sacrificing other aspects of your life. Having a family and maintaining that relationship is important but that being said I'm sure you realize that by having a family you will face an uphill battle. Don't stress too much though, I have several classmates with families and they seem to manage fine. The difficult concept to convey is that, a lot of the pressure of med school is self-originating. Your long-term goals are going to determine how much effort and how much sacrifice are necessary to "succeed" in this curriculum. Is your goal to master clinical skills? Is your goal to absolutely destroy the board exam? Are you trying to match family med or a surgical sub-speciality? All of these factors come into play. The SDC provides unlimited freedom in what I study and where I focus my efforts. Yes, CHM gives me an outline and provides me resources from which to guide my learning, but I have the freedom to integrate all of the board prep I desire in my day to day activities. We don't have block exams, and we learn material in a novel and integrative way. What does that mean exactly? It is difficult to explain but I have fully come to embrace it. Topics are based around common clinical presentations and areas of focus stem from there into every encompassing subject. If you are not someone who is self-motivated to learn medicine, I could see this curriculum as being challenging. Some people need a weekly exam to stay motivated. If you are self-motivated and able to push yourself, this curriculum is amazing for focusing on high-yield concepts and board focused learning. I have complete freedom in deciding how and what I study. I have already integrated my resources for board prep while following the SDC curriculum without any problem... That is something that other "traditional" curriculums can make very challenging.

To answer your question, I spend around 80 hours a week studying/being in clinic/class. Having time to study is not a concern. You will be studying ALL the time and it will be much different from your undergraduate experience in terms of volume/breadth of material. We do have some required training every week, which is typically clinical skills. Some days feel a bit exhausting but I do find the extra/early clinical training to complement the basic science studying, even when it feels like a waste of my time. The curriculum follows a flipped classroom model, so it is almost entirely independent study supplemented with faculty engagement in small groups. If you are looking for a live lecture based curriculum, CHM is the furthest thing from it. The integrative nature of the program is so so so good. I am certain that this is the type of model that every school will be moving towards in the future. Not only does it make it easier to transition your basic science knowledge to clinical situations.... it really has been amazing at keeping the knowledge retained long-term. As an example, I understand the different types of drugs used to treat hypertension, and how they work, because I see them prescribed in the clinic for patients that have hypertension. I learned the basic science, the clinical science, and saw patients with the pathology all at the same time. I was somewhat skeptical early on, but it really has been helpful. The concept of using real clinical experience to enhance the foundations of my knowledge is amazing. I am learning and RETAINING medical science because I see it in practice. After experiencing this type of learning, I could never go back to a traditional class room model with a "biochem" class or an organ-based domain. It just makes so much sense this way. It is training you in a more logical way, in the same line that a physician would think about a clinical problem.

Once you are accepted, I would reach out to CHM and ask to speak with a current student that has a family. They would be better able to address those kinds of concerns. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Awesome reply, thanks so much. Are 80 hour weeks necessary for most people in your class to do well? That's way more than my friends in other programs are putting in, especially for P/F.

Awesome reply, thanks so much. Are 80 hour weeks necessary for most people in your class to do well? That's way more than my friends in other programs are putting in, especially for P/F.

Some people put in 80 hours, but others put in less. Your education will be what you make of it. If you're going for ortho/derm/urology/etc. then you're going to want to be putting extra time in. You can also get by with 50-60 hour weeks if you just want to be able to participate in group discussions/labs/simulations/etc. It also depends on the week sometimes. There have been weeks in which the workload has been lighter and other weeks that required a little more time. The amount of time you spend will really depend on how deep you want to dive into the information and how much of it you can retain.

CHM has done a great job at selecting for intrinsically motivated people (for the most part). We have no exams to study for per se, but you'll still see us grinding away at all hours of the day. Most of what we are learning is truly interesting and worth the effort. I think it might be hard to appreciate until you actually get here. You feel a sense of responsibility to learn and absorb everything you can so that you can learn how to provide the best care for your patients. Don't get me wrong, learning things for boards is also a pretty great motivator!

For anyone with a family or just people who are worried about the time commitment, just know that it is manageable. You find ways to learn and spend time with your family, but you will have to make some sacrifices during medical school. The people with families in our class seem to be doing fine. I don't have kids or anything, but I do still watch netflix every week, go to the gym, and find time to spend with friends/classmates. It's all about time management.

EDIT

For what it's worth, I spend 60-70 hours a week studying or doing required activities. I've been able to maintain my relationships that I had before med school and I don't feel like I'm burning out at all. The material itself isn't super challenging, there's just a lot of it. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I got the acceptance call last night. Interviewed Dec 2nd. I wish all of you the best of luck!!

AYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joining the rejected fam. Not even phased. MSUCOM :biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove:

Unsuccessful application email this morning. Pre-II, LM ~65, OOS, Complete 8/1

Rejection/ "Unsuccessful Application" email at 9 this morning. Pre-II, LM ~63, OOS, Complete 8/16

"MSU Students Perform Better in New Medical Curriculum"
http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2017/msu-students-perform-better-in-new-medical-curriculum/

It was an interesting read.

And does anyone know how long students in the SDC get to study for Step 1? I found this timeline on their online student guide, but it mixes vacation and study time.

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 4.41.50 AM.png

ACCEPTED 1/17/17 via phone call! In state, interviewed 11/18, LizzyM 66!

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone else get an email asking if you were still interested in an interview? Do you guys think there's still a shot at an interview at this point in the game if they're asking?

Reactions: 4 users
Complete in August, got Pre- Interview hold today

Hello everyone! Got a II for Feb 17th and was wondering if anyone had any general tips or advice for this interview. Never done an MMI before and worried about it!

Hello everyone! Got a II for Feb 17th and was wondering if anyone had any general tips or advice for this interview. Never done an MMI before and worried about it!

Which location??

Just received a pre-interview rejection. Good luck everyone!

Is anyone considering the MD/MBA dual degree?