2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahah yes they definitely don't lead you on with elusive subject lines, which I respect that about them. And hmm.. I think I was complete early September.
Did you get flat out rejected or were you on hold

any chance you were on hold before?

wizard

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
I was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty heartbroken about it. In state, 3.67, 518. I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but anybody know what the chances are of being accepted off the waitlist?

I was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty heartbroken about it. In state, 3.67, 518. I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but anybody know what the chances are of being accepted off the waitlist?

Man, I just got an II from them. But if you got waitlisted I don't think I even have a chance. I am OOS with lower stats.... I don't have a chance.

Man, I just got an II from them. But if you got waitlisted I don't think I even have a chance. I am OOS with lower stats.... I don't have a chance.

I don't think they'd grant you an interview if they didn't think you're qualified. Stay hopeful. When was your application complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Definitely don't go into the interview with this attitude. They invited you for a reason -- don't make them regret it before you even get there. I interviewed here and was waitlisted also a few weeks back. My friend was admitted that same day with much lower stats. This whole process is a crapshoot + isn't entirely about stats. When you get to the interview day the dean will likely make it very clear that they truly view each application holistically and are very mission-based. Good luck on your II!

Also to my fellow waitlisted friend, wish I had more info about the WL. I really really dig MSUCHM and was heartbroken to get that WL too. Everything I've heard about their WL is anecdotal. Either it's no one gets accepted off of it, or people know a ton of folks who have. *shrug* I'm still holding out hope that I'll hear something good from MSU come April. :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
They say once you get an interview everyone there is pretty much on a level playing field

Last edited:
Definitely don't go into the interview with this attitude. They invited you for a reason -- don't make them regret it before you even get there. I interviewed here and was waitlisted also a few weeks back. My friend was admitted that same day with much lower stats. This whole process is a crapshoot + isn't entirely about stats. When you get to the interview day the dean will likely make it very clear that they truly view each application holistically and are very mission-based. Good luck on your II!

Also to my fellow waitlisted friend, wish I had more info about the WL. I really really dig MSUCHM and was heartbroken to get that WL too. Everything I've heard about their WL is anecdotal. Either it's no one gets accepted off of it, or people know a ton of folks who have. *shrug* I'm still holding out hope that I'll hear something good from MSU come April. :xf:

*sigh* I'll hold out hope

Don't think that! I was accepted with MUCH lower stats. I wasn't deterred because I thought my mission fit with MSU was spot on and they thankfully agreed. There is so much more involved in admissions than just numbers. Like someone else said, if they granted you an interview, they think that academically you can handle medical school and want to see what else you can bring to the table. The interview is your chance to show you are more than your GPA and MCAT. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
so is anyone else nervous about potentially finding out tomorrow?!

to those that have already heard back, what time should I expect to hear anything and through what form of communication does it come?

Accepted! This is my absolute dream school! I'm so excited to be a Spartan MD!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
congrats!! how did you find out?

Phone call earlier this evening. I interviewed 11/18 and it sounds like people from October were still waiting to hear back too, so if you don't hear anything by 5 pm tomorrow, they probably haven't discussed your file yet. My friend said her email notification about the alternate list came around 9:30 am earlier this year.

Acceptance by phone call earlier. Interview on 12/2. Instate, LizzyM: 69.

Reactions: 2 users
referred to the ABLE program. Got an email today

II about an hour ago, complete waaaaaaay back in August. OOS, wasn't on hold previously.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone sent an update letter, grades or a letter of intent? I know their website says not to but grades were not addressed and that's what I'm hoping to send

Has anyone sent an update letter, grades or a letter of intent? I know their website says not to but grades were not addressed and that's what I'm hoping to send

I believe they don't accept updates of any kind

Does anyone know how to submit an update (if on alternate list)? The email said in PDF form but I'm not positive where

Does anyone know/heard of people being placed on hold and then ultimately getting an II? I'm just trying to realistically gauge my chances :cool:

Does anyone know/heard of people being placed on hold and then ultimately getting an II? I'm just trying to realistically gauge my chances :cool:
I know a bunch of people last year that did. They actually all got their II mid January.

When does MSU interview until? was complete in late july but havent heard anything yet. Is that a silent rejection?

They don't do silent rejections, it isn't over till it's over!
When does MSU interview until? was complete in late july but havent heard anything yet. Is that a silent rejection?

Also if you haven't checked your portal, you may be on hold. I was placed on hold and never received an email about it. As people have already pointed out many people from last year on hold received interviews in January or later! Hope that helps!

Thank for the replies! Yeah, I've been trying to check my status on the secondary app portal online, but the link I previously used to access the portal doesn't seem to be loading for me? Are you guys still able to access the link theysent us for that? Or is it maybe just my computer ?

Thank for the replies! Yeah, I've been trying to check my status on the secondary app portal online, but the link I previously used to access the portal doesn't seem to be loading for me? Are you guys still able to access the link theysent us for that? Or is it maybe just my computer ?
I couldnt access the site either...

For those who have already interviewed, what are your thoughts on the new curriculum and how it may affect Step 1 preparation? Thanks!

Just got the rejection email after being on pre II hold forever

its okay guys. they dont know what they are missing out on ;)

Sorry to hear about those of you rejected today. Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Sorry to hear about those of you rejected today. Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Long ago. Sometime in August and put on hold a few weeks after

Has anybody been able to access the portal recently? I've tried a few times last few days, and I think quite a while ago and nothing would load