2016-2017 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
iPad Pro or MacBook for this school? I will be mainly studying at home...

Why not both? Jk I get the pro is more than enough, and you can take notes on it.

Members don't see this ad.

iPad Pro or MacBook for this school? I will be mainly studying at home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not both? Jk I get the pro is more than enough, and you can take notes on it.

If you have to pick one, I would go with a MacBook. I have the iPad Pro and certain tasks will take much more time due to lack of mouse/limited OS capabilities. The iPad pro is just a powerful iPad. I don't think it can fully replace OSX or Windows just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well. Quick question. If any of you have agreed to be put on the waitlist, on your "alternate list" tab on the MCG app, does it say "your clinical campus preference is: yes"?

Just wanted to see. The syntax of that was weird to me and I wanted to make sure I didn't forget to click something.

Waitlisted as well. Quick question. If any of you have agreed to be put on the waitlist, on your "alternate list" tab on the MCG app, does it say "your clinical campus preference is: yes"?

Just wanted to see. The syntax of that was weird to me and I wanted to make sure I didn't forget to click something.
Yeah mine says that.

Turned down my offer a few weeks ago, I Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
If you have to pick one, I would go with a MacBook. I have the iPad Pro and certain tasks will take much more time due to lack of mouse/limited OS capabilities. The iPad pro is just a powerful iPad. I don't think it can fully replace OSX or Windows just yet.

I'll backpeddle. I think this is the best answer.

Alt list for me too. That's 2 waitlists for me, still no acceptances :(

Called it. Waitlisted as well, but will most likely pull my name from the waitlisted for another acceptance. Good luck to everyone on the alt list!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCG vs Morehouse? Better school overall?

Last edited:
MCG bs Morehouse? Better school overall?

I think that is so subjective because there are way too many areas in which each school could be evaluated. You could do rankings in research, Step 1 scores, residency placements, honors, alumni, funding, primary care initiatives, and it would still be close. I don't think either school is better overall, which puts me in the mindset of what personal reasons do I like/dislike each school like how did I feel there, student community, faculty support, rural/urban, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

Mine says no haha, wonder what that means

Really wish they would tell us where we are on the waitlist. Some schools at least tell you what quartile you're in so you can estimate your chances

Ohh snap! Is it bad that I feel that same way??

Lol not at all! It was a fairly easy choice for me... Campus wise, I think MCG is far better than MSM and location wise, there's really no comparison lol. As for the programs and the rest of the metrics (Research, Step scores, Residency placements, funding, Primary care, Networking ability...) I think they're just about equal. And Since Location matters more to me than Campus, I picked MSM.

Still want to live in ATL after the I-85 bridge collapsed today?
Traffic is about to be unreal for months to a year
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
lool Traffic is already unreal as it is but since I'll be living close enough to the school, that won't be much of an issue.

Withdrew my acceptance here. Best of luck to you all on the waitlist. Stay strong!

Reactions: 6 users
Oh yes I only wanted Augusta, thanks!
Oh okay. In the waitlist email it's says we have to be willing to be assigned to any campus. Are you sure you picking on Augusta won't affect you being placed on the waitlist? Hope it doesn't!

$13 down the drain sending them my requested transcripts.

A few years ago, schools would give you several paper copies of your official transcripts for free. Now they want you to cough up money for them to email a dang PDF. As far as I can tell, they don't even manually send the email; the computer does it automatically.
$13 is nothing. Try $50

$13 is nothing. Try $50
I mean, my point wasn't that $13 is a huge sum of money, just that it feels like a damn ripoff to be charged anything but maybe a buck or two for them to send an automated email when I used to be able to log into my student account and request they send 10 paper copies to my house for free.

Anybody who went to UGA having trouble finding MCG on the transcript ordering page? Augusta University is on there but MCG is not. I think I'm just going to order a paper transcript to be sent to admissions.

Didn't go to UGA, but I just sent mine to undergraduate admissions. The other Augusta University option required some type of code I didn't have, and the physical address associated with undergraduate admissions was the same as the one in my WL email. I imagine they'll get it sorted out.
Great, thank you!

I'm out of town until Monday. I already clicked the "confirm" button on the portal to accept my alternate list spot. I can't get my transcipts together until I return on Monday though. Do you think this will affect my position on the alternate list, or is that list strictly merit based?

I'm out of town until Monday. I already clicked the "confirm" button on the portal to accept my alternate list spot. I can't get my transcipts together until I return on Monday though. Do you think this will affect my position on the alternate list, or is that list strictly merit based?
I have no idea how they do the waitlist, but I would assume that the timing of when they receive transcripts will have no effect on waitlist spot. I think they just need transcripts by May.

I haven't actually lol. Just narrowed it down to Morehouse and EVMS

Ayyyy EVMS acceptee here as well! EVMS definitely has the best step pass rate and match rate I've seen (100% for both), but with the price tag it should haha.

Waitlisted at MCG

Ayyyy EVMS acceptee here as well! EVMS definitely has the best step pass rate and match rate I've seen (100% for both), but with the price tag it should haha.

Waitlisted at MCG

Lol ayyyyyyeee. Are you going to their preview weekend?

Really excited to start here soon!

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? Is it rolling as if when someone withdraws they send an acceptance the next day or do they wait and do it in groups?

My transcripts have been designated as 'Y' for 3 weeks. Is this normal, or do people get the 'F' status pretty quickly? Also I haven't received any info on a Pounce account and my deposit was received about a month ago...

My transcripts have been designated as 'Y' for 3 weeks. Is this normal, or do people get the 'F' status pretty quickly? Also I haven't received any info on a Pounce account and my deposit was received about a month ago...
Same boat

Did you guys also get emails from AMCAS with application tips? Making me nervous. Going to write up a LOI for Mercer on Monday (since MCG won't take one).
Yeah they send those to anyone who applied through AMCAS this year.

@beebreezy Many schools don't accept off the waitlist until May, June so don't stress out too much! 3 waitlists is pretty good! Everything will be ok. I hope everything goes right in your life starting with your upcoming acceptance

Good luck to you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@beebreezy Many schools don't accept off the waitlist until May, June so don't stress out too much! 3 waitlists is pretty good! Everything will be ok. I hope everything goes right in your life starting with your upcoming acceptance

Good luck to you :)

Last edited:
@beebreezy I empathize very much with you. My friends and family continue to tell me that I am "definitely" getting in this cycle, despite being on only two waitlists. You're absolutely right; the people close to us see how much dedication and effort we put in to our premed work, but they don't understand how competitive the process is.

I've been trying to find positive things that will happen as a result of my NOT getting accepted. For example: my sister is getting married at the end of August. If I don't get in to med school this cycle, I can fly home and spend as much time as I want with her the weeks leading up to the wedding, without having to worry about studying or missing classes. It's a very small positive, but it helps a little.

I've also started working toward my application for next cycle. Rather than dreading being a reapplicant, I'm trying to picture all the interviews I'll get the second time around after learning so much this cycle. I've made a lot of changes to my personal statement, and I've asked drastically different people for LORs, for example.

Hopefully some of that advice helps you, and maybe you and I will be classmates later this year and none of this will matter!