2016-2017 MD/PhD applications - General Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all I would appreacite some opinions about the likelihood of me getting in MD/PhD this cycle. I interviewed at 7 MD/PhD programs and have been waitlisted at 5. Still waiting to hear back from 2. Is anyone in a smilar situations? Is this the norm ? I am feeling extremely anxious as I know all of you are.

On the same boat here... Interviewed at four places and got waitlisted on all four. I have been sending update letters, letter of intent to my top choice, and sending additional letter of recommendation to all four schools.
After that, I would just keep my fingers crossed and anxiously wait until the end of April..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @-60V247 and @losyisy (and various lurkers who may be in a similar position)! Just wanted to poke in to tell both of you to hang in there. With 4+ waitlist options, your odds are probably pretty good at this point. :)

However, as Fencer notes, is likely that you will not hear anything until the very end of April, or possibly the beginning of May. That was my case (officially waitlisted at 3, first acceptance April 30 - a Saturday!). But hang in there. Applicants with multiple acceptances will likely continue to hold their offers until the deadline approaches, and then some movement will start to happen.

MD/PhD waitlists tend to be kept small and can be fairly dynamic, but it will definitely depend on the year. But to have 4+ waitlists sounds like a great sign to me, so I wanted to encourage you to keep doing exactly what you're doing, being patient, and keeping up the good fight!

Let me know if anyone has any questions about being on a waitlist at this point, and I'll do my best to answer. (Posts/tags on forums preferred over PM so I can address things to many people at once!). Good luck to all!

Hi @-60V247 and @losyisy (and various lurkers who may be in a similar position)! Just wanted to poke in to tell both of you to hang in there. With 4+ waitlist options, your odds are probably pretty good at this point. :)

However, as Fencer notes, is likely that you will not hear anything until the very end of April, or possibly the beginning of May. That was my case (officially waitlisted at 3, first acceptance April 30 - a Saturday!). But hang in there. Applicants with multiple acceptances will likely continue to hold their offers until the deadline approaches, and then some movement will start to happen.

MD/PhD waitlists tend to be kept small and can be fairly dynamic, but it will definitely depend on the year. But to have 4+ waitlists sounds like a great sign to me, so I wanted to encourage you to keep doing exactly what you're doing, being patient, and keeping up the good fight!

Let me know if anyone has any questions about being on a waitlist at this point, and I'll do my best to answer. (Posts/tags on forums preferred over PM so I can address things to many people at once!). Good luck to all!
How did you communicate with waitlisted schools that you were ultimately accepted to? Did you send updates/letters in intent/etc? If so how often? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you communicate with waitlisted schools that you were ultimately accepted to? Did you send updates/letters in intent/etc? If so how often? Thanks!

Good questions!! This topic is a common inquiry that I receive, so I'm happy to address it on the forums. :)

So my personal situation may not be applicable to everyone, but here's what I did. I got a little lucky (thankfully! Otherwise things didn't exactly go my way. LOL ;)) and attended a small school where most of the "awards" or "honors" are saved until senior year. Thus, in my last semester of undergrad and as I was on many waitlists, I had multiple significant achievements that I could use as excuses to contact my top choice schools.

I generally communicated via email. There was one school where I had a reason anyway to contact someone in the MSTP (regarding travel, etc), and during that conversation, I realized that this person enjoyed talking over the phone and was able to be really transparent with me via more casual conversations; thus, for this program I used both email and phone calls. Otherwise, I just wrote emails. I sent something to the schools I was interested in about once per month.

The communication would generally begin shortly after my interviews. I would send a thank you letter that talked specifically about people I met with and how I could see myself fitting in to and contributing to the program, but most of all how it was an honor to visit and how I was strongly interested in their program. Then as awards began to come in, I'd use a couple as an excuse to say that I wanted to update the program on some achievements that I hoped would add to my application but that I again wanted to express my firm interest in the program as the months dragged on.

I very rarely asked for any kind of update on where I was as a general rule, but the schools that I loved were also the most transparent with me in general and would often reply to let me know how things were going on their end. If I knew the programs had a big committee deliberation soon, I would sometimes use my contact that month to send a 1 page (max, with lots of spaces in it, PDF) letter of intent or strong interest instead and ask that it be added to my file. Otherwise, my email updates were very, very brief (2 paragraphs max with about 2-3 sentences per paragraph at most). Simply writing to show your interest is the main point, so be careful not to bog your programs down or take up too much of their time.

Overall, the schools I was in contact with told me that expressing my interest in a kind, non-demanding/expectant manner absolutely helped my application. I was glad to hear that in the end because it can definitely be hard to reach out to schools when you're not sure of exactly what to do! I think it's important to understand that you may not be able to "get" any information, but what's most important is conveying your interest and gratitude to have gotten so far in the process at a great program. Be kind, be humble, and be patient..... and I hope the best will come for all of you!

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question... I'll gladly attempt to ramble less and explain more!

Reactions: 2 users
Good questions!! This topic is a common inquiry that I receive, so I'm happy to address it on the forums. :)

So my personal situation may not be applicable to everyone, but here's what I did. I got a little lucky (thankfully! Otherwise things didn't exactly go my way. LOL ;)) and attended a small school where most of the "awards" or "honors" are saved until senior year. Thus, in my last semester of undergrad and as I was on many waitlists, I had multiple significant achievements that I could use as excuses to contact my top choice schools.

I generally communicated via email. There was one school where I had a reason anyway to contact someone in the MSTP (regarding travel, etc), and during that conversation, I realized that this person enjoyed talking over the phone and was able to be really transparent with me via more casual conversations; thus, for this program I used both email and phone calls. Otherwise, I just wrote emails. I sent something to the schools I was interested in about once per month.

The communication would generally begin shortly after my interviews. I would send a thank you letter that talked specifically about people I met with and how I could see myself fitting in to and contributing to the program, but most of all how it was an honor to visit and how I was strongly interested in their program. Then as awards began to come in, I'd use a couple as an excuse to say that I wanted to update the program on some achievements that I hoped would add to my application but that I again wanted to express my firm interest in the program as the months dragged on.

I very rarely asked for any kind of update on where I was as a general rule, but the schools that I loved were also the most transparent with me in general and would often reply to let me know how things were going on their end. If I knew the programs had a big committee deliberation soon, I would sometimes use my contact that month to send a 1 page (max, with lots of spaces in it, PDF) letter of intent or strong interest instead and ask that it be added to my file. Otherwise, my email updates were very, very brief (2 paragraphs max with about 2-3 sentences per paragraph at most). Simply writing to show your interest is the main point, so be careful not to bog your programs down or take up too much of their time.

Overall, the schools I was in contact with told me that expressing my interest in a kind, non-demanding/expectant manner absolutely helped my application. I was glad to hear that in the end because it can definitely be hard to reach out to schools when you're not sure of exactly what to do! I think it's important to understand that you may not be able to "get" any information, but what's most important is conveying your interest and gratitude to have gotten so far in the process at a great program. Be kind, be humble, and be patient..... and I hope the best will come for all of you!

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question... I'll gladly attempt to ramble less and explain more!
Thank you so much for your insight and advice, and for taking the time to answer my question so thoughtfully! I suppose I will give sending some updates a shot. Best of luck with everything!

Reactions: 1 user
Update - 2017 MD/PhD Application Cycle - as of overnight 3/31-4/1 sync
NO FINAL ACTION 82
HOLD 2
W/D BEFORE ACCEPT 16
PRELIM REJECTION 53
PASSIVE WITHDRAWAL 13
NOT ACCEPTED 938
DEFER TO REGULAR 0
ACCEPTED TO ENTER 627
W/D AFTER ACCEPT 24
TOTAL ACCEPTS OFFERED 654
DEFER TO FUTURE 3
MATRICULATED 0
EARLY MATRICULATION 0
ALTERNATE LIST 10
OTHER (School's Choice) 17
RESCINDED ACCEPTANCE 0
REQUEST SECONDARY 23
INTERVIEW 0
TOTAL APPLICANTS 1808
Based upon data from previous application cycles, there will be another 125 applicants who will be receiving their first MD/PhD acceptance sometime in the next 6-8 weeks or so.

Average new MCAT (n=493) for currently ACCEPTED TO ENTER is 516 and cGPA of 3.81.
Average old MCAT (n=134) for currently ACCEPTED TO ENTER is 35 and cGPA of 3.79.

Reactions: 3 users
@Fencer , thanks for all of your posts, they're very informative and helpful! Regarding your last post on this thread, it seems like most people who will be receiving their first acceptances in the next few weeks will be people who have not heard from any program at all (NOT ACCEPTED or NO FINAL ACTION). Do people who have only had at least one waitlist offer and no acceptances (me) fall under the "ALTERNATE LIST" category?

Thanks again for all the info!

Not every program uses all the categories available. Thus, your best situation in the system might be not accepted (i.e.: rejected), but programs who don't allocate people until final actions are required or when they have to extend an acceptance, might be waitlisting you.

In the past, I have seen the numbers of Not Accepted be reduced in April, May and even in June. Then, every program has to enter final actions, and every applicant is allocated properly. The reason for my postings is to reduce the anxiety and give hope to some of you who are in that boat every year. As Starfun21 indicated, she was in that boat until late and I corresponded with her along the process. The reality of our career as clinician-scientist is that, after a minimum point is reached, resilience and creativity are likely more important than overtly high academic numbers.

Last edited:
@cloudstrife2054

This is a more appropriate thread to have your questions regarding the application answered. Please reserve the acceptances thread for people posting cycle updates, it just helps the board organization overall.

I felt like that other topic was better because it lets me talk to people who got accepted.