2016-2017 Louisiana State University - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a secondary?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I can't answer either of the questions above, I am applying RD and have not submitted my primary yet!

Question for everyone - for letters of recommendation, those of you who are NOT using committee letters for whatever reason, are you having your letter writers mail their letters directly to LSUS, or are you collecting them all (sealed of course) to mail in one big packet? Thanks!

I think it's better if you tell your letter writers to mail it directly to LSU Shreveport admissions. Address is on their website. Because they don't want you handling the letters at all, even if sealed.

Reactions: 1 user
Does it affect your chances for early decision if your letters are only submitted by the deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does it affect your chances for early decision if your letters are only submitted by the deadline?

I'm not too sure, but it would probably be safe if you make sure your letters of rec are mailed off around the same time as your secondary app in order to give you peace of mind about whether they were considered with the rest of your application.

Would it be a bad idea to have LORs submitted prior to submitting the primary?

Not yet. I called the office, and they said secondaries would be sent out sometime in July

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know what to do about the formatting problems on the secondary? When I type in most of the lines my words get typed through the middle of the lines instead of on top. Is it ok to neatly hand write that part and then type the mini-essays into the box?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Any reapplicants here? Also, anyone else had trouble scheduling a follow up with Kennedy? Ms. Hill said they were all booked through September and there may not be any more spots. I understand its a formality thing but I was hoping for some face time with the head honcho.

Any other Louisiana residents who haven't received a secondary yet? I got the LSU NO secondary 2 weeks ago.

edit: received

Last edited by a moderator:
Received a secondary for ED on 7/1, just sent it out today, feels pretty late to me but my application should be complete in 2-3 days when that arrives. Anyone else fully submitted yet?

Does anybody know what to do about the formatting problems on the secondary? When I type in most of the lines my words get typed through the middle of the lines instead of on top. Is it ok to neatly hand write that part and then type the mini-essays into the box?

I had trouble with the formatting too. Because their website says specifically to type it, I didn't want to risk handwriting. So I had to open it in another program and insert text boxes in every blank. I'm sure it probably wasn't the most efficient way to do it, but I got it looked good and I don't have to be paranoid about it anymore.

I'm mailing all my application stuff in tomorrow. The wait is going to kill me!

Where can I get the stats for this past year for LSU? I want to see the average new mcat for the 2015-2106 year.

Did anybody else whose applying ED not receive a status update email? We were supposed to get one yesterday but I didn't and I called the office and left a message but heard nothing back. Just getting nervous bc I know I sent everything off and my rec letter writers did too but there could've been a problem in the mail. The Aug 1 deadline is coming up and I need to know that everything made it in ok so I have time to act on it if something happened

I did too actually. Literally right after I sent that message

I had trouble with the formatting too. Because their website says specifically to type it, I didn't want to risk handwriting. So I had to open it in another program and insert text boxes in every blank. I'm sure it probably wasn't the most efficient way to do it, but I got it looked good and I don't have to be paranoid about it anymore.

I'm mailing all my application stuff in tomorrow. The wait is going to kill me!

What program did you use for this? I'm having trouble with it as well

I have Linux operating system so I used LibreOffice Draw, but I'm sure if you have windows you can upload it into publisher or any other Microsoft program that allows you to use text boxes. I think you can even download LibreOffice online if you want.

I'm having trouble formatting my secondary as well!
I have Linux operating system so I used LibreOffice Draw, but I'm sure if you have windows you can upload it into publisher or any other Microsoft program that allows you to use text boxes. I think you can even download LibreOffice online if you want.
I'm having the same formatting problem.

I'm having trouble formatting my secondary as well!

I used a PDF viewer on my PC called Foxit Reader, it's free software and very simple to use. In the toolbar there is a feature called "Typewriter" that allows you to type anywhere in the document, basically creating a text box. It worked great for completing my applications.
It's available on Mac, too. Hope this helps! :)

Whoever applied Early Decision, can y'all post on here once y'all receive calls about interviews? Much appreciated. P.S. We're all going to get in!

Have you heard anything yet?

Me neither. Same feeling

Me too! 1:30 in the afternoon

EDP II Yesterday evening (8/15) around 7 P.M. My interview is scheduled for Thursday, August 25. Supposed to be there for 1:30 P.M. There won't be lunch or a tour if anyone was wondering how it differs from regular decision.

This may sound like a noob question, but do schools interview all ED applicants before they get around to regular applicants?

This may sound like a noob question, but do schools interview all ED applicants before they get around to regular applicants?

They don't interview every single person that applies ED, but yes, all early decision interviews that do happen happen before any regular decision interviews.

Those of y'all that got ED interviews already, if y'all don't mind me asking, what are yalls GPAs and MCAT?

Those of y'all that got ED interviews already, if y'all don't mind me asking, what are yalls GPAs and MCAT?
3.58 GPA with very strong upward trend (All As last 1.5 years of undergrad). Did 3 4000 level bio classes post-grad at the university and got A+ in all three.
31 MCAT.
Third time applying. In the past year I got a lot of hours shadowing (150) and working closely with patients.

First time applying. 3.8 overall GPA

Last edited:
Did anyone not receive a status update email last Thursday (8/25)? I just realized that the last one I got was the week before last

Last edited:
Did anyone else not get the typical Thursday email this past week?

How'd interviews go? Any pointers?
Interview is really laid back. For early decision it was literally you sign in at Ms. Hill's desk, then go sit in the conference room adjacent to Dr. Kennedy's office. Check in was at 1:30 and everyone was really there by around 1:15 or so. Chit chat with other the other students there, then Kennedy comes in. He asks you introduce yourself, tell where you went to college, and tell an interesting fact about yourself. Kennedy then asks you if there are any questions. After that he hands you a little card with your name on it and the names of your two interviewers, the time your interview is, and the room it will take place. You go do your interviews and then meet with Kennedy.

The interviews on your card are closed-file where they have only read your personal statement and have yet to see your resume. When you meet with Kennedy, it seems like more of a meeting where he asks you specific questions about your resume/grades. In my case I had met with him and discussed all that in June prior to my interview (I'm a reapplicant), so we really just chatted about stuff. He asked if I had any questions, which I didn't since we talked extensively last time we met.

As far as the interviews go, they are typically conversational, really just be prepared to talk about yourself. There are very few where they simply ask you questions off a piece of paper, but they do happen sometimes.

Tips: Know your resume, know yourself, and be a normal person (perhaps the challenge for most people?? ;))

Also, take a look at this link and really focus on the questions that are about yourself, Why a doctor, strengths, weaknesses, etc. As in, look at the more obvious questions, they want to know about you as a person, student, and future physician.

For the link, scroll to where it says "questions", click the drop down arrow and read through the questions and click show more responses as needed. For me, I personally just went over them back to 2010 (there's really not too many). Of course you shouldn't memorize an answer, but definitely have an idea of what will be said.

https://schools.studentdoctor.net/s...te-university-shreveport-school-of-medicine/0

Best of luck to everyone!

Edit: Also, you can find interview questions for probably every school. For example for New Orleans simply google: "student doctor network New Orleans interview questions" and you should be able to get it from there.

Any II come out today? I didn't get an update e-mail last week but just got one a few minutes ago.