2016-2017 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kinda looking like phone calls are done. Anyone got any other info?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone want to call over there and ask? Haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. IS, non traditional. Interviewed on March 15. Got the phone call about an hour ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maybe they are still calling. I wonder how many spots they had to fill.

Any of you guys interview in April?

So looks like the headcount here is about 6.... Did you all get calls in order of your interview date? do you think its alphabetical? know of any other non SDN reported acceptances?
tryna figure out if I should just start working on my new AMCAS. woof.

I know of one other guy but idk if he's on here or not.

So is it safe to assume if you didn't get a call by now you're either on the waitlist or rejected?

Was called at 12:36 PM today! I wasn't able to answer because I was at work. The voicemail didn't say I was accepted, but said to give the admissions a call back. I called them back just now but no one is picking up and I am dying on the inside.

Reactions: 1 users
Was called at 12:36 PM today! I wasn't able to answer because I was at work. The voicemail didn't say I was accepted, but said to give the admissions a call back. I called them back just now but no one is picking up and I am dying on the inside.

I'm sure it's an acceptance! Congrats to everyone who got a call!

For those of us who didn't, how're y'all feeling? I'm pretty bummed over not getting a call seeing as though this school is the only place that offered me an interview. I interviewed 2/22 so it also hurts to see later interview date folks get in (not to take credit away from y'all). Fingers crossed the letter in the mail is waitlist and not rejection.

IMG_2886.GIF
For those of us who didn't, how're y'all feeling?

Did you get a voicemail? My phone was off for a while this morning. Just wishful thinking lol
Hey man yeah i got a voicemail but not from Ms. Paulette. It was a different lady telling me that she was from lsu med to call her back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting rejected. An L4 on the committee is a mentor of mine and told me this. Heartbroken. I'm gonna take a break from sdn for a while..

Good luck to each of you and I hope to one day be your colleague.

I'm getting rejected. An L4 on the committee is a mentor of mine and told me this. Heartbroken. I'm gonna take a break from sdn for a while..

:( I'm sorry. Don't give up!

I'm sorry, I know it sucks. Just don't give up though, stay encouraged. You WILL be a doctor one day!

Holy hell! Congrats to everyone who got accepted!
No phone calls here unfortunately. And I thought my anxiety would diminish now that finals are over... lol.

This is my fourth application cycle my friend. I know the feeling too well. There are always open doors in this process. Dont take your eyes off the prize. At some point in the near future, your pain will only add depth to the satisfaction of your success.

Very few people can truly empathize with the suffering you are going through right now. But having failed in many other categories in life I have to say that this is not the end and you will get in. You will be recognized. You will become a doctor.

Last year's thread of LSU, 2015-2016, you'll see my posts of despair and anguish. I never felt like I had so little value until I applied to medical school, especially last cycle. But even this cycle was no exception: before the call, I had been early decision since mid-July but was rolled over; I had been complete before August yet my application process was delayed so long that I interviewed with those complete in September; I was interviewed by one member who was so disinterested by what I had to say that he interrupted me mid-sentence while I spoke out my convictions. I already accepted the worst and was ready to go to an international MD school who accepted me believing they'll be the only ones willing to extend a branch to me. I found it foolish to think I would make it anywhere better because of the years of having my applications discarded but apparently, I was wrong: all that resilience really paid off and it will pay off for you.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on obtaining financial aid? I am between LSU and my home state medical school now. Can anyone help me in regards to making a decision if cost is essentially the same sans a few thousand dollars....

Does anyone have any information on obtaining financial aid? I am between LSU and my home state medical school now. Can anyone help me in regards to making a decision if cost is essentially the same sans a few thousand dollars....

You're not an LA resident? You're probably asking the wrong people lol.

Last edited:
You're not LA resident?
I am an LA resident but I moved to missouri about 2 years back. apparently i'm still not technically considered a missouri resident but i was able to get in state tuition through some channels.

I am an LA resident but I moved to missouri about 2 years back. apparently i'm still not technically considered a missouri resident but i was able to get in state tuition through some channels.

Doubt anyone here is going to be able answer that for you. Both schools should have OOS vs IS cost available on their websites or maybe on aamc.

Any letters today? Seems to me like those accepted were called, leaving waitlists and rejections for those who did not receive a call.

I think pretty much the acceptances that were going out have gone out in the form of phone calls. I urge anyone who is feeling bad to stay positive and don't take the rejection as some personal statement against you. Work on your application, start filling out your 2018 AMCAS, retool your personal statement, work on your interview skills..... keep moving forward and never never never have "zero days", where you get nothing accomplished.

update: so all merit aid has been given out and only loans are available now :/

I think pretty much the acceptances that were going out have gone out in the form of phone calls. I urge anyone who is feeling bad to stay positive and don't take the rejection as some personal statement against you. Work on your application, start filling out your 2018 AMCAS, retool your personal statement, work on your interview skills..... keep moving forward and never never never have "zero days", where you get nothing accomplished.
Yea, all acceptances from this point on will have to be by phone.. AAMC requires that individuals must be notified in less than 2days if accepted .. and you can't really guarantee that via snail mail.

Hey guys after much consideration I am giving up my spot....hope it goes to one of you!

Yea, all acceptances from this point on will have to be by phone.. AAMC requires that individuals must be notified in less than 2days if accepted .. and you can't really guarantee that via snail mail.

Oh wow nice find.

Where'd you decide to go? (If you don't mind me asking, just curious!)
Haha so I ended up going to Mizzou Med back at home. Although I was instate for both, I just saw Mizzou having higher average step scores, better facilities, better match locations and better administration RELATIVE RELATIVE RELATIVE RELATIVE to LSU. Not saying that LSU is bad, but between the schools, Mizzou ranked better for me after doing some research.

Haha so I ended up going to Mizzou Med back at home. Although I was instate for both, I just saw Mizzou having higher average step scores, better facilities, better match locations and better administration RELATIVE RELATIVE RELATIVE RELATIVE to LSU. Not saying that LSU is bad, but between the schools, Mizzou ranked better for me after doing some research.

That's awesome, congrats!! #SEC

Spoke to admissions this morning, they're "working on the letters as we speak", and they should be mailed out by this weekend.

Praying for a miracle! Haha

I'm back. Couldn't resist.

You can go ahead and schedule a meeting with Dr. Eubanks, FYI.

Reactions: 2 users
Spoke to admissions this morning, they're "working on the letters as we speak", and they should be mailed out by this weekend.

Praying for a miracle! Haha

Did they say what the nature of those letters are? Rejection and NFA or waitlist?

Did they say what the nature of those letters are? Rejection and NFA or waitlist?

She didn't say. I just asked about my status or when I could expect an update since I hadn't heard anything since being placed on the NFA in March, but I'm assuming it'll either be rejection or waitlist (since those accepted most likely got a phone call, I figure for the rest of us it's just between those two) but she didn't say specifically. All she said was that they're sending letters regarding our status.

She didn't say. I just asked about my status or when I could expect an update since I hadn't heard anything since being placed on the NFA in March, but I'm assuming it'll either be rejection or waitlist (since those accepted most likely got a phone call, I figure for the rest of us it's just between those two) but she didn't say specifically. All she said was that they're sending letters regarding our status.

Geeze I wish they could just email us these things..
the amount of time they give us to reapply and take the mcat if needed is absurd.

Btw you can get D's in non-science courses AMEN

After a lot of discussions and comparaisons I Just decided to decline my acceptance hope one of you get it .

Hi everybody -
Incoming L1 here.

First, fingers crossed for those of y'all still waiting for word from admissions. Hope to see as many of you as possible as classmates in the fall.

I don't have FB so couldn't post this on the student Facebook group but would appreciate someone reposting there:

I play in a weekly softball league and our team is looking for players - thought I would inquire with the LSU med community. A few details:

--Games are between 630 and 900 on Weds nights, played at Evans Playgrounds (Uptown a few blocks off the commercial strip of Freret St)
--Teams are co-ed, so guys and gals welcome (we need both!)
--League is slow pitch and open to all ability levels. No previous softball experience required! (I can personally attest to this as I spent my first several games doing nothing but striking out)
--Cost is ~$45 for a 14 game season plus playoffs
--New season starts early June

If you're interested, please PM me and we can talk more.

Lastly, I've lived in New Orleans for the past 7 years and am proud to call New Orleans and Louisiana my home. Happy to answer any questions about New Orleans in this thread or via PM.

Cheers

Anyone else get a 'prioritized alternate list' letter in the mail today? Because I just did. :bang:

Anyone else get a 'prioritized alternate list' letter in the mail today? Because I just did. :bang:

No I didn't receive anything yet. Are the letters coming from Baton Rouge or New Orleans?