2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm happy to hear every answer you have about the waitlist movement :D
Haha, ah the dear ol' waitlist. I haven't heard this information directly from Admissions, but did hear about it secondhand during SLW (so take it with a grain of salt):

The waitlist is ranked. No, the adcom will not tell you your rank, or anyone else's rank. At this time, there is no expected movement until after April 30th (probably mid-May). Generally speaking, the waitlist varies year by year at Hopkins. The Class of 2020 had a good number of students from the waitlist, but your class may differ. For what it's worth, I asked around on Friday of SLW, and it seemed that about half of the attendees had "committed," and the other half were undecided. (Again, take this with a grain of salt.)

Hope that answers some questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha, ah the dear ol' waitlist. I haven't heard this information directly from Admissions, but did hear about it secondhand during SLW (so take it with a grain of salt):

The waitlist is ranked. No, the adcom will not tell you your rank, or anyone else's rank. At this time, there is no expected movement until after April 30th (probably mid-May). Generally speaking, the waitlist varies year by year at Hopkins. The Class of 2020 had a good number of students from the waitlist, but your class may differ. For what it's worth, I asked around on Friday of SLW, and it seemed that about half of the attendees had "committed," and the other half were undecided. (Again, take this with a grain of salt.)

Hope that answers some questions!

Around how many is a "good number" from last year? Thanks!

Around how many is a "good number" from last year? Thanks!
At the SLW the dean mentioned 225 had been admitted, and US News says ~275 total admits in the prior year. If it's true that they break it down to about 200 admit (225 would fit) and about 200 waitlist, that would mean something like 25% of WL get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those still working on financial aid:
I found that the Financial Aid office is very accommodating and willing to work with you. I informed them about a change in family assets that occurred since 2015, and they upped my scholarship by a few thousand dollars due to that change. They also said my aid could increase by as much as $10k or $15k next year since my parents recently entered retirement. Overall, very happy. I think I will be matriculating here in the fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone here applied to JHU with only one recommendation letter from a science faculty member who has taught you? JHU is one of my top schools right now considering their curriculum and medical humanities focus, but I only have one letter from a science professor who has taught me. I am hoping to use a letter from my PI (with whom I have worked closely for the last two years) to satisfy the second science letter requirement, but I'm not sure if this will work. I appreciate any advice!

Has anyone here applied to JHU with only one recommendation letter from a science faculty member who has taught you? JHU is one of my top schools right now considering their curriculum and medical humanities focus, but I only have one letter from a science professor who has taught me. I am hoping to use a letter from my PI (with whom I have worked closely for the last two years) to satisfy the second science letter requirement, but I'm not sure if this will work. I appreciate any advice!
I used 1 science class professor, 1 PI and 1 employer. So exactly the same as you for the two science people! It went fine for me

Hopkins doesn't have a deposit right? We just submit the statement of intent online?

MSAR says no deposit! So yeah just make sure your intent is filed, and that you've withdrawn everywhere else

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the WL and I know it's ranked. Already sent in a letter of intent. Could a new letter of recommendation from a science professor help my WL rank?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know we get fancy stethoscopes at the stethoscope ceremony, but does anyone know if there's other stuff that we're given or that we need to buy (i.e. should I plan to buy an ipad etc.)?
(FYI if you've already been accepted, I would recommend asking these kinds of questions in the Class of 2021 Facebook group! You'll get a lot more students to answer questions.)

Yes, you do get stethoscopes at the Stethoscope Ceremony in August. You will need to buy a blood pressure cuff and reflex hammer on your own, but you will have plenty of time to figure out where you get that once you get here, so no need to buy that early (unless you really feel like it). A handful of students use iPads or Windows tablets, but it's certainly not necessary.

(FYI if you've already been accepted, I would recommend asking these kinds of questions in the Class of 2021 Facebook group! You'll get a lot more students to answer questions.)

Yes, you do get stethoscopes at the Stethoscope Ceremony in August. You will need to buy a blood pressure cuff and reflex hammer on your own, but you will have plenty of time to figure out where you get that once you get here, so no need to buy that early (unless you really feel like it). A handful of students use iPads or Windows tablets, but it's certainly not necessary.

Hi, I had a quick question regarding the humanities requirement. Would the following classes count?:
-Intro to global health
-intro to ethnic studies
-Race Gender and Class
-Cultural Aspects of Health
-being a TA (for credit) of an honors humanities seminar class

Thanks for your time!

Is there any particular reason why Hopkins' white coat ceremony is in April? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there any particular reason why Hopkins' white coat ceremony is in April? Just curious

I heard it's cause people generally take lots of photos with classmates during white coat, which can be kinda awkward if you don't know everyone well, so Hopkins thought it'd be nicer if we all knew each other a bit more before white coat

Also, an update for those on the WL--the FB group dropped to fewer than 120 people today (118, and even that includes current students), so it seems like there'll definitely be WL movement!
What did it drop from?

Our WCC is pretty intimate in unique. Students put on performances, create and read a Statement of Values, and this year, there was a spoken piece made by combining all of our personal statements. Pretty intimate stuff, and something I can't imagine doing in August when we were all strangers. Also, because first years spend months planning this, we can truly say that this is OUR ceremony.

Hi, I had a quick question regarding the humanities requirement. Would the following classes count?:
-Intro to global health
-intro to ethnic studies
-Race Gender and Class
-Cultural Aspects of Health
-being a TA (for credit) of an honors humanities seminar class

Thanks for your time!

I recommend emailing admissions to get a more accurate answer. :) We wouldn't want to accidentally give incorrect info.

Since the class size is 120 and there are 118 people in the FB group, it seems like the # of current students may balance out the # of matriculating students who don't have FB/didn't join the group. So it looks like there may be not that much WL movement? :(

Last edited:
Since the class size is 120 and there are 118 people in the FB group, it seems like the # of current students may balance out the # of matriculating students who don't have FB/didn't join the group. So it looks like there may be not that much WL movement? :(
I wouldn't stress out trying to calculate hypotheticals. Some people have FB but don't join. Some people stay in the group but don't intend to go. You also have to toss in the goose chase that happens in the summer and schools poach candidates. Best of luck, and regardless, try to enjoy your summer!

Also, an update for those on the WL--the FB group dropped to fewer than 120 people today (118, and even that includes current students), so it seems like there'll definitely be WL movement!

What did it drop from?

The accepted class size did indeed drop to ~100 after the deadline. So there will definitely be waitlist movement to fill the remaining ~20, just as much as there always has been in previous years... rest assured people will be hearing back soon! :)

The accepted class size did indeed drop to ~100 after the deadline. So there will definitely be waitlist movement to fill the remaining ~20, just as much as there always has been in previous years... rest assured people will be hearing back soon! :)

Really? There are still 120 applicants on the list of matriculants released by the admissions office to SLW committee, or was that based on two days ago?

Last edited:
Really? There are still 120 applicants on the list of matriculants released by the admissions office to SLW committee, or was that based on two days ago?

Without giving away too much information, I can promise you that that isn't true based on the list from 2 days ago. :)

Best of luck, everyone! May the wait list rankings be in your favor. ;)

@hellanutella @phuynh94 @wanderyonder or anyone else who might have insight,

I know that Hopkins has a humanities focus which I think is awesome! Even though I am a bio major I have taken humanities courses outside my major and would be able to comfortably meet the 24 semester hour requirement.

However I will not have a double major or even a minor in humanities at this point. For a while I was thinking about picking up a minor in ethnic studies but the requirements are quite unwieldy and not accommodating with my senior year schedule.

Even though I will meet the 24 hour requirement, will not having a formalized major or minor put me at a competitive disadvantage compared to other applicants?

Thanks for your time!

@hellanutella @phuynh94 @wanderyonder or anyone else who might have insight,

I know that Hopkins has a humanities focus which I think is awesome! Even though I am a bio major I have taken humanities courses outside my major and would be able to comfortably meet the 24 semester hour requirement.

However I will not have a double major or even a minor in humanities at this point. For a while I was thinking about picking up a minor in ethnic studies but the requirements are quite unwieldy and not accommodating with my senior year schedule.

Even though I will meet the 24 hour requirement, will not having a formalized major or minor put me at a competitive disadvantage compared to other applicants?

Thanks for your time!
Gut reaction: nah, you're fine.

I don't know what percentage of Med20 double-majored/major+minor, but it hasn't been significant for us to notice a visible trend. (I graduated with just one major.) I would not advise you to spend money on another semester or to take unnecessary classes for a minor/second major, unless you genuinely want to do so. Use that time instead to pursue activities that you enjoy! (It's also most interesting to talk about and hear about during the interview trail. ;))

TL;DR: Have no idea how adcom factors this in, but would be shocked if it made a significant difference.

Gut reaction: nah, you're fine.

I don't know what percentage of Med20 double-majored/major+minor, but it hasn't been significant for us to notice a visible trend. (I graduated with just one major.) I would not advise you to spend money on another semester or to take unnecessary classes for a minor/second major, unless you genuinely want to do so. Use that time instead to pursue activities that you enjoy! (It's also most interesting to talk about and hear about during the interview trail. ;))

TL;DR: Have no idea how adcom factors this in, but would be shocked if it made a significant difference.

Thanks! Yeah I've been taking humanities classes that I enjoy but the minor has some funky requirements which make getting the formal minor very unwieldy.

I'm glad that I can continue to pursue my interests without having to worry about having a formal minor in humanities!

Anyone know when waitlist movement will begin? Seems like most schools' have started.

Doesn't JHU usually pull people off the waitlist earlier in the month?

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who is curious, the FB group has recently increased by 7 members since the last time I checked (119 --> 126), so seems like a few people have gotten off the waitlist.
I don't think it's just WL people tho, I only just recently got around to joining it

For anyone who is curious, the FB group has recently increased by 7 members since the last time I checked (119 --> 126), so seems like a few people have gotten off the waitlist.

Edit: nvm, looks like a lot of the new members were old acceptees who just joined or current students

Yeah I wouldn't use the group numbers as an indicator of anything. As you've realized, many requests from current students and old accepted students come through, so for your sanity and mental health, I'd advise you not even bother looking at those numbers :D

Do you think there will be anymore movement in this first batch or are they done?

Do you think there will be anymore movement in this first batch or are they done?
Certainly. They're not close to capacity even including the last 2 days of WL movement. Besides that though, I have no idea how many more or for how long. Just hang in there and do your own life!

Reactions: 2 users
Is the class full at this point?
Nope. More went out earlier this week, and people will always be accepted off the waitlist at other schools and withdraw, so spots are always in a state of flux. Hang in there

Are there spots still in the class? I need to sign a lease soon at another school so I'm curious about what hope I should have

Are there spots still in the class? I need to sign a lease soon at another school so I'm curious about what hope I should have
A handful more offers have been going out on and off for the past 5 weeks, but it has slowed down. There is always a small amount of movement throughout the summer, but I personally wouldn't count on it.

Hello everyone,
I'm a little confused as to if I have met the humanities pre med requirements of 24 hours. My AMCAS application has been verified and shows 15 hours for "all other" courses. The number of actual humanities courses I've taken is 7 (met 3 hours per week for 4 months). I've read on some Johns Hopkins pre professional sites that only recommend 2 English courses and 2 extra social science courses :)//studentaffairs.jhu.edu/preprofadvising/pre-medhealth/advising/pre-medical-requirements/). I guess I'm confused whether my 15 hours is enough or number of courses is enough or neither, haha.