2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted today!

Something to note about the financial aid packages before everyone goes around comparing and wondering why they got more or less than others... Hopkins takes into account whether or not your parents are paying for a sibling's college tuition very heavily in their calculation of scholarship--moreso than most other schools do.

Also important to keep in mind: if you get a scholarship, the amount taht you get per year is "locked in" for all 4 years. So your scholarship is guaranteed. If financial situations change for the worse, you can always talk to them when that happens. If financial situations change for the better, then you're in luck you still get to keep the money ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all- I'm awaiting a decision mid next week, and trying to plan for SLW just in case, haha. Any already-accepted students have a general itinerary for SLW, or does anyone know if family members are invited for any of it? Thanks!

If you're able to make some rather last minute travel plans, please come to SLW! Significant others are certainly invited to all events. Generally, it's not an event that appeals to family members. I went to a few SLWs and never saw family members present, but I would suggest emailing for more information if you're considering this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would note - everyone who's like "whoa Hopkins is so generous, they're going to give me tons of money!!" - don't hold your breath. My aid offer was actually a lot less generous than I was expecting. My parents' combined income is less than six figures, and I'm looking at ˜$45k in loans each year. I've been told by current students that the same thing happened to them and to try to negotiate the best you can, but I'm definitely worried - I was 99% sure I would matriculate here, and now I just don't know. I only post this because I remember reading old posts that made me really optimistic about Hopkins aid, and that hasn't been true in my case. Now I have to consider if I can go here at all given how much more debt I'll have to take on compared to other schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I would note - everyone who's like "whoa Hopkins is so generous, there going to give me tons of money!!" - don't hold your breath. My aid offer was actually a lot less generous than I was expecting. My parents' combined income is less than six figures, and I'm looking at ˜$45k in loans each year. I've been told by current students that the same thing happened to them and to try to negotiate the best you can, but I'm definitely worried - I was 99% sure I would matriculate here, and now I just don't know. I only post this because I remember reading old posts that made me really optimistic about Hopkins aid, and that hasn't been true in my case. Now I have to consider if I can go here at all given how much more debt I'll have to take on compared to other schools.
Thanks for sharing, I was wondering how they could be that generous. 180k total debt would be right around the national median, so I wouldn't feel upset about paying that for a place you loved. If you have much better offers elsewhere it becomes painful to think about though :(

Yay for everyone accepted today!! I also recently got a decent-sized package so I will most likely be matriculating here. Passing along a note from my mentor: just like you shouldn't let $$ decide what specialty you pursue, you shouldn't let $$ be a barrier in going to a school if it indeed is your top school, since in one way or another, you will pay it off one day. Anyway, see you guys for SLW! So excited to meet everyone!

Waitlisted here - the portal message implies that the waitlist is ranked. Does that mean we should still send update letters? Or would they have no effect?

Waitlisted here - the portal message implies that the waitlist is ranked. Does that mean we should still send update letters? Or would they have no effect?

What I always tell everyone--while updates won't necessarily help, they definitely will never hurt your chances. Win-no loss situation. I would send an update!

Do they provide a student host for second look weekend? Or we gotta pay for hotel?

"Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 char)"

Pre-writing secondaries here. Is this referring to different specialties (OB/GYN, neurosurg, etc.) or areas such as academic medicine, clinical practice, primary care, public health, etc?

"Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 char)"

Pre-writing secondaries here. Is this referring to different specialties (OB/GYN, neurosurg, etc.) or areas such as academic medicine, clinical practice, primary care, public health, etc?

LOL is the primary out yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they provide a student host for second look weekend? Or we gotta pay for hotel?
Student hosts will be available. There will be RSVP forms available March 31 that will only be sent out to those who RSVP. So please RSVP by March 30, per Ms. Mazza's email!

Damn son, it's March.
Serious answer: all of the above you listed are all valid options for writing about for that question. It's quite open-ended intentionally.

April 6th to 9th
Thursday: 12:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am - 10:00 pm (8:00 am - 10 am is an optional walk/run or service project)
Sunday: URM brunch from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

I left out Financial Aid appointment slots but your day could begin earlier if you choose to sign up for one. Not sure if families are welcome.

Good Luck next week!

Ty for posting this! Do you happen to know what events are scheduled for Thurs?

EDIT: Nevermind! Just got the email with the schedule.

Last edited:
My apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread...

If we're on the waitlist and want to send an update in, should we be sending that to Ms. Mazza's email?

Also, with parents combined income >250k, am I dumb for assuming I will receive no need-based aid?

Does anyone know when waitlisters are supposed to get that summer interest form they were talking about in the decision letter? I want to send an update but i've been working the same job since my interview (which I described in a post-interview update let back in November) and I don't want to be annoying and send a letter with no new substance. Perhaps just that summer form when it comes out would show interest enough?

Reactions: 2 users
LOL is the primary out yet?

Damn son, it's March.
Serious answer: all of the above you listed are all valid options for writing about for that question. It's quite open-ended intentionally.

LMAO I know super early, but I'm backpacking in Europe for a few months after graduation, so I want this done before I leave :laugh:

(Just crossing my fingers that the prompts are the same as last years)

But thank you!

Well, add me to the camp that is blown away by the generosity of their financial aid - ~90% of tuition. Absolutely amazing.

Well, add me to the camp that is blown away by the generosity of their financial aid - ~90% of tuition. Absolutely amazing.

I have to agree, amazed at the funding I received.

Posted a thread about this earlier, but seems like it's school-specific so reposting here--does anyone know if we're expected to wear business casual for any second look events (like the ones that involve faculty)? I haven't seen anything about a dress code in the emails but I may have just missed it.

Edit: Ah the most recent email clarified that. For people who check sdn before email: Thursday whatever, Friday business casual, Saturday wear SLW tees

Last edited:
Does anyone else who received the alternate form think that the wording of the email suggests they are not interested in updates at this point? Not sure if I am overthinking it, but it sort of seems that way to me.

Yeah definitely looks that way
But the waitlist here doesn't move much so there's not much point in sending updates anyway

Yeah definitely looks that way
But the waitlist here doesn't move much so there's not much point in sending updates anyway
I would counter that by saying I know a whole lot of my class who came off the waitlist (many of my friends who have told me directly)... I don't have an exact percentage, but it definitely moves.

At interview they told us the WL is extremely variable between years, they've seen some years with dozens offered admits and some years with only a few. Sorry I know that doesn't help much at all. MSAR also just says "Varies"

It's true that waitlists definitely move but given that almost 700 people were interviewed for a class of 120, I don't think it'd move very much

It's true that waitlists definitely move but given that almost 700 people were interviewed for a class of 120, I don't think it'd move very much
Hopkins sends post-interview rejections, though. Waitlist actually has a meaningful chance here unlike a place like Penn

Hopkins sends post-interview rejections, though. Waitlist actually has a meaningful chance here unlike a place like Penn
Do you think they reject a significant amount of people? I only saw one rejection on this thread out of all the posts. I know people are not as willing to post a rejection result but I can't imagine too many more people being rejected.

Do you think they reject a significant amount of people? I only saw one rejection on this thread out of all the posts. I know people are not as willing to post a rejection result but I can't imagine too many more people being rejected.
I know people rejected IRL. I think it's not wanting to post rejects, like you said. I can at least assure you that getting a WL here means your interview did not go terrible. I recognize you from the other thread and I'd take this WL as good evidence that you were right and your interviewing is at least decent! Keep the faith through May at the least, when lots of WL motion happens.

I know people rejected IRL. I think it's not wanting to post rejects, like you said. I can at least assure you that getting a WL here means your interview did not go terrible. I recognize you from the other thread and I'd take this WL as good evidence that you were right and your interviewing is at least decent! Keep the faith through May at the least, when lots of WL motion happens.
Thanks! That's kinda reassuring to know :)

They accept 200, waitlist 200 and reject 200

I've heard this too. I think 2015 (or 2014, I don't remember) had a total of 271 acceptances given out which would imply that 71 came from the waitlist of 200. Put another way, that year the post-waitlist acceptance rate was 35.5%. This will vary greatly per year but your odds could be as high as 1 in 3.

I've heard this too. I think 2015 (or 2014, I don't remember) had a total of 271 acceptances given out which would imply that 71 came from the waitlist of 200. Put another way, that year the post-waitlist acceptance rate was 35.5%. This will vary greatly per year but your odds could be as high as 1 in 3.

Can confirm # initially accepted is usually 200. This year was no exception

Just posting to say SLW was awesome and Hopkins is amazing

Lots of fun and met some very cool people!

Can I just say the welcome video was amazing?

Here's a link for people who may not have seen it:

Thanks for a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Do matriculating students need to fill out any paperwork to confirm their seat/complete physical exam forms? I haven't done anything except submit the online portal, just wanna make sure I'm not forgetting anything important lol

I got an email confirming they received my intent/spot is being held for me. I think any further stuff will be taking place after the 30th, when you can only hold a spot at the one place you plan to attend?

I did write an email to Val notifying her that I'll be matriculating. It's not necessary though, just something my school's pre-med advising office recommends that we do.

For people who submitted an intent form to remain on the waitlist, did you get a confirmation from Ms. Mazza?

Does anyone know how the financial aid repeal process works?

Does anyone know how the financial aid repeal process works?

By "repeal", you mean "appeal"? XD

There's no formal process. You are welcome to call/email to set up a financial aid appointment and share your concerns there, but I wouldn't have high expectations about them acting on it.

yeah I'd have very, very low expectations unless there's something big that didn't get included in their first analysis (sibling in school, parent just recently lost job, that kind of stuff)

*coming out of SDN hibernation*

So happy to hear that you all enjoyed SLW!! Hope it makes the decision easier ;)

Feel free to PM any of us to ask questions! I'll try to pop in more often to answer any questions about wait list movement, my experiences, and moving to B'more.

*coming out of SDN hibernation*

So happy to hear that you all enjoyed SLW!! Hope it makes the decision easier ;)

Feel free to PM any of us to ask questions! I'll try to pop in more often to answer any questions about wait list movement, my experiences, and moving to B'more.
I'm happy to hear every answer you have about the waitlist movement :D

Last edited: