2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so can't comment on rotation-specific expenses (aka 3rd/4th year stuff), but can comment on room and board and transportation:

based on where you live in center city the prices fluctuate: so living in CC, spring garden, fairmount, will be generally okay for walking but will be around $900 give or take $100 typically for rent unless you get a good deal. if you decide to live a bit farther like old city, north/south philly, university city etc. it can be more around $600 for rent give or take but you will either need a car (for which parking is tough or expensive) or, I recommend, taking the subway/bus/shuttle options, which is decently cheap but can add up over time as I have experienced when I used to take it to and from Jeff in the past so i agree with the transportation in this way, but i think room/board is less accurate unless they are trying to include expenses for amenities, electricity, water, etc.

keep in mind also that if you're a city person or NOT a home body, you may be inclined to go out in CC, eat on, etc. more than usual and that can add up for misc. expenses...hope this helped a little if you didn't already know most of this! =)

Yes, I think they are trying to include electric, gas, etc- how much does that typically cost per month in the winter for a townhouse? Thanks!

which area of philly are you thinking? that would help a bit

Members don't see this ad :)
With the new curriculum, what are the assessment weeks going to consist of? Are the tests boards style tests or written by our professors or a mix?

sooo... what are my fellow waitlisters doing to pass the time as we wait for the magical phone call?

anyone have any idea which sites/stores are best to get our medical instruments and required supplies from?

sooo... what are my fellow waitlisters doing to pass the time as we wait for the magical phone call?
Managing anxiety and poor sleep. Also buying good luck charms wherever possible while tossing pennies into every well.

Reactions: 1 user
All you need is a stethoscope. Don't bother buying any of the other stuff. Amazon works and offers lots of color options.

which type of stethoscope is best? i was given a litman classic III as a gift. is that okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
seems like they don't call give out acceptances to waitlisters anymore..... correct me if I'm wrong and people are still getting accepted

seems like they don't call give out acceptances to waitlisters anymore..... correct me if I'm wrong and people are still getting accepted

In the Official Not Accepted Yet thread, there was movement reported last week. Keep in mind that not everyone is on SDN so not every acceptance is going to be reported.

In the Official Not Accepted Yet thread, there was movement reported last week. Keep in mind that not everyone is on SDN so not every acceptance is going to be reported.
for Jeff specifically or was it another school?

after seeing the two withdrawals 2 weeks ago I was really hoping to see some movement :/ is June waitlist movement unrealistic?

after seeing the two withdrawals 2 weeks ago I was really hoping to see some movement :/ is June waitlist movement unrealistic?
22 hrs ago someone just posted in the facebook page that they were "just accepted"

Medical Instrument and Required Supplies
For Anatomy Sessions

1. A pair (or two) of scrubs to be worn in dissection lab sessions and during practical examinations. Scrubs are mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
  2. A pair of comfortable shoes that completely cover the foot and can get “messy”. This type of footwear is mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
  3. A pair of safety glasses/goggles with shatterproof lenses and side shields. Wearing of Safety glasses/goggles is mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility. ---> Seriously??
  4. A combination lock, if desired, for short term securing of personal items during Dissection Weeks.
  5. Students may purchase their own dissection equipment or rent equipment from the dissection facility. Rented equipment is restricted to two sets per table due to supply.

Totally serious. Safety glasses are best, you don't want full goggles because they fog up. Do get a lock, but don't buy your own dissection equipment.

still haven't registered it, but today I got an acceptance call from Dr. C. balled my eyes out and trying to figure out paperwork stuff after being so disoriented, but I am SO grateful for this opportunity. applying this cycle was such a huge risk for my future and i'm so glad I took it =) thanks to ALL of you who helped me along the way =) it means a lot to me <3

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
still haven't registered it, but today I got an acceptance call from Dr. C. balled my eyes out and trying to figure out paperwork stuff after being so disoriented, but I am SO grateful for this opportunity. thanks to ALL of you who helped me along the way =) it means a lot to me <3
CONGRATS WHAT A DREAM!

Reactions: 1 users
For those still waiting, I will likely (and painfully) be withdrawing my acceptance here. Jeff really seemed like a vibrant place from their students. I am hoping my acceptance goes to someone here and kudos to waiting it out so long you beautiful people. Stay strong, movement will continue!:)

Reactions: 2 users
For those still waiting, I will likely (and painfully) be withdrawing my acceptance here. Jeff really seemed like a vibrant place from their students. I am hoping my acceptance goes to someone here and kudos to waiting it out so long you beautiful people. Stay strong, movement will continue!:)
Thank you for sharing. It keeps the hope alive!

Which school have you chosen to attend instead?

Long story short, I was initially accepted to Jeff and loved it there. Then, got a full ride to another school and reluctantly dropped my acceptance. However, I was recently accepted for the HPSP military scholarship and would like to do that instead at Jeff. However, I was only able to get back on the waiting list at Jeff due to the spots filling up following my drop. I know this is unorthodox, but I'm really hoping and praying there might be some movement in the next few weeks. If anyone drops, would you consider letting me know? Thanks and I hope everyone has a great end of the cycle with the outcomes they hope for :).

Long story short, I was initially accepted to Jeff and loved it there. Then, got a full ride to another school and reluctantly dropped my acceptance. However, I was recently accepted for the HPSP military scholarship and would like to do that instead at Jeff. However, I was only able to get back on the waiting list at Jeff due to the spots filling up following my drop. I know this is unorthodox, but I'm really hoping and praying there might be some movement in the next few weeks. If anyone drops, would you consider letting me know? Thanks and I hope everyone has a great end of the cycle with the outcomes they hope for :).
congrats!! :) that's awesome! I hope it works out for you!

Still no word :( anybody know if movement ever occurs this late in the cycle? I've heard of like last minute drops but idk. Remaining hopeful because I'd really like to go here.

@Doctor Strange how is the gym? If I wanted to work out before or after class would there be equipment available? Or should I look into getting a gym membership somewhere else?

Do people have an idea of whether waitlist movement this year was, indeed, particularly sluggish, as those like @Doctor Strange were predicting, or was it similar to previous years?

Do we get lockers on campus as well?
there are lockers on the basement of scott library. You can apply to get a locker there. or if you're talking about gym lockers, you can get them too when you arrive at the gym. Moreover, for the anatomy lab, you will receive a locker that you are expected to provide a lock.

Has anyone on the waitlist gotten an official rejection letter yet?