2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Less movement as in 70 kids off the waitlist instead of 80? Or like only 15 instead of 80...
Even if I did know that information, I definitely wouldn't disclose it here. It's seriously just a hunch. I've seen more movement this early on in the past, and it's a little ominous that few have reported anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

kinda glad that SDN will be down for maintenance tonight considering reading the thread is making me nervous lol

Reactions: 1 user
I too noticed that movement is much less this year, but I also realized that Dr. Brooks not being there anymore may have also had something to do with it. Again, I can only speculate and can't imagine how much work it must be for the adcom and Dr. Callahan already, let alone not having another director of admissions helping out as well... I don't know what the case is but I am hopeful for all of us since we got this far in the process.

Reactions: 4 users
Fingers crossed for some waitlist movement tomorrow. May the 4th be with us ;)

Reactions: 7 users
I called yesterday, but all the information I got was "people are being pulled from the waitlist"..not sure if that meant they are being pulled now, being decided on, or have been pulled. Also they told me that Dr. Callahan makes all the decisions on who is pulled.

I suppose the only conclusion I can make is that there is or will be movement.

I will be withdrawing my jeff acceptance soon. I loved the school but am going with my wallet instead of my heart. I hope that one of you gets my place soon!

Reactions: 3 users
I will be withdrawing my jeff acceptance soon. I loved the school but am going with my wallet instead of my heart. I hope that one of you gets my place soon!
I hope you still have an amazing experience at your selected school =)

Hey all, just a lurker here, but wanted to let you know I was accepted off the HPWL this morning, so things are happening! Don't give up hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, just a lurker here, but wanted to let you know I was accepted off the HPWL this morning, so things are happening! Don't give up hope!

can I ask when you interviewed and what your stats are..sorry to be that person.

Thank you so much for making an account and posting! I feel slightly better now for some reason. Good luck at Jeff!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how class rank will be determined given the new pass/fail JeffMD curriculum?

I didn't get a chance to go to second look, but does anyone have more info on the iPads that are given? I'm assuming we receive them during orientation, but what size/model are we given?

Also do most students just use these to study/take notes? Thanks!

I didn't get a chance to go to second look, but does anyone have more info on the iPads that are given? I'm assuming we receive them during orientation, but what size/model are we given?

Would also like to know this

Speaking of.. Anyone mind mentioning what was talked about during Second Look?

Last year's class got iPad Air 2's with 64 GB. Idk about this year though.

Are the secondary questions the same year after year?

Can anybody please share what the questions were this year?

Send any updates/LOI?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah was basically in monthly communication haha.. really wanted to go to jeff. interviewed in sept, WL oct, first letter nov, letter of intent #1 was january, another in march, another in April, then weekly since then.. no dignity in the WL process haha..

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah was basically in monthly communication haha.. really wanted to go to jeff. interviewed in sept, WL oct, first letter nov, letter of intent #1 was january, another in march, another in April, then weekly since then.. no dignity in the WL process haha..

You sent LOIs weekly? Haha

wait sorry if this is a silly question but did you send the same LOI or did you make a new LOI month after month?

wait sorry if this is a silly question but did you send the same LOI or did you make a new LOI month after month?

New, however some info stayed the same on those letters.. hybrid w/ updates

What kind of updates did you send? Last question. Promise. Also congrats

Haha no problem and thanks. Happy to help. Reaaplicant and the WL sucks I know. Wanted to first say that if any of you aren't accepted this year feel free to DM me. I took two years off since my last attempt to really try just about everything in healthcare before coming back. Although it hurt my pride (let's be honest most of you are A types too), it was the best thing that could have happened.

My updates were about work (founded a global health startup which I remain a consultant for and work in research; I would talk about how each part inspired me and how those inspirations reflected my fit at jeff). I used that same model to write about volunteer experiences, summer plans, reasons philly/jeff was the right place for me (regarding support system and pt pop), and jeff related things I was doing with my free time.

The weekly updates were because the circumstances of my med school prospects were changing. I received a large scholarship to another MD program (lower-tier) that I had to sign my intent by May 5 so I asked for expedited consideration because I would still pick Jeff.. On May 5 I was accepted MD PhD to a program substantially better than Jeff (match-wise; MD program about same ranking as Jeff).. I asked for expedited consideration cuz I wanted Jeff more and the MD PhD program starts in 3 weeks! Yesterday I got a call from Callahan.

I think my weekly emails may not be a great reference for you depending on your circumstance but if you have any excuse to write take it. My weekly emails I did not write more than a few paragraphs.

Hope this helps everyone.. the whole thing is a crapshoot and if it doesn't go your way make sure to find out why.

Send all the premed love your way!

Haha no problem and thanks. Happy to help. Reaaplicant and the WL sucks I know. Wanted to first say that if any of you aren't accepted this year feel free to DM me. I took two years off since my last attempt to really try just about everything in healthcare before coming back. Although it hurt my pride (let's be honest most of you are A types too), it was the best thing that could have happened.

My updates were about work (founded a global health startup which I remain a consultant for and work in research; I would talk about how each part inspired me and how those inspirations reflected my fit at jeff). I used that same model to write about volunteer experiences, summer plans, reasons philly/jeff was the right place for me (regarding support system and pt pop), and jeff related things I was doing with my free time.

The weekly updates were because the circumstances of my med school prospects were changing. I received a large scholarship to another MD program (lower-tier) that I had to sign my intent by May 5 so I asked for expedited consideration because I would still pick Jeff.. On May 5 I was accepted MD PhD to a program substantially better than Jeff (match-wise; MD program about same ranking as Jeff).. I asked for expedited consideration cuz I wanted Jeff more and the MD PhD program starts in 3 weeks! Yesterday I got a call from Callahan.

I think my weekly emails may not be a great reference for you depending on your circumstance but if you have any excuse to write take it. My weekly emails I did not write more than a few paragraphs.

Hope this helps everyone.. the whole thing is a crapshoot and if it doesn't go your way make sure to find out why.

Send all the premed love your way!

appreciate the detailed response!

They email you if you don't answer your phone, right? I have 0 signal at my workplace...

Also, should I send a second LOI even if I have no update? My first one had some updates, but not much (other than one extra work experience) to warrant a decent length LOI.

They email you if you don't answer your phone, right? I have 0 signal at my workplace...

Also, should I send a second LOI even if I have no update? My first one had some updates, but not much (other than one extra work experience) to warrant a decent length LOI.
They'll leave a message to call back. They also might e-mail if you take too long.

Yes.

I also got off the wait list yesterday (cannot express how excited I am!) and I had sent an update on Friday. I'm not sure if it helped but I think its important to communicate how interested you continue to be in the school so depending on what the update is you could tie your extra work experience to (1) why you like Jeff and (2) why you would be a good fit for Jeff. In my opinion, you don't want them to be super long anyways.

I am genuinely happy for you, but this HPWL has become a cross between the Hunger Games and a perverse popularity contest. For that reason, i have withdrawn from the HPWL. Interviewed in Nov, was my top choice with many ties to hospital and Philly.

I am genuinely happy for you, but this HPWL has become a cross between the Hunger Games and a perverse popularity contest. For that reason, i have withdrawn from the HPWL. Interviewed in Nov, was my top choice with many ties to hospital and Philly.
To play devils advocate, I was accepted off the HPWL and only sent one minor update a few months after interviewing. No LOI.

I'll be graduating in two weeks and just wanted to reach out again to offer any advice I can give. Incoming students and future applicants feel free to reach out to me with any questions. For any non-Jefferson questions, feel free to post in my AMA thread (Ask Doctor Strange anything).
Thank you so much for continuing to help all of us on SDN out. Good luck next year, and congrats on graduating from med school!