2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have proof of recent Varicella vaccination, then no. If you don't, then you either need to get your bloodwork done or get another Varicella.

I ended up needing to get Varicella and TDaP, but I think you have until like June/July to get that done.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Any current or past Indy MS1/MS2 students on here? What does your daily lecture/lab/group work schedule look like?

Reactions: 1 users
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just received an email being placed on the alternate list. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just received an email being placed on the alternate list. Good luck everybody!

Good luck! Nothing here for me yet, but hopefully soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Me too. Kinda bummed out but was expecting it. Now for the wait!

Nothing for me. Can't wait for that rejection email in a few weeks!

Yeah, IUSM likes to make the rejections hurt as much as possible. :(

Ugh.... well at least we know if we don't get a waitlist email or acceptance we can expect a rejection in a little while.

Also received the email for the alternate list! Interviewed almost 6 months ago!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would one of you guys who received the alternate email notification forward it to me please? I got the second email stating there was an error with the message but I never got the first email. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at last year's thread, it seems that all of the alternate list emails came out on the same day. So our chances don't look great unless they're planning to accept us soon.

I did but I received the second email only. Still haven't gotten the first one that has all the introductions and it's frustrating.

If your portal updated, you can get to the file that was attached to the email from there.

If your portal updated, you can get to the file that was attached to the email from there.

Do you know where? Either way I called the school and was able to receive the email. Took forever but I got it!. Hopefully we all get a spot soon!

Any current or future Fort Wayne campus med students have any insight on how the recent transition from IPFW to PFW will affect the IUSM campus/experience?

Any current or past Indy MS1/MS2 students on here? What does your daily lecture/lab/group work schedule look like?

It depends on the class. Overall, you will have 26 contact hours per week, with ~6 of those being Foundations of Clinical Practice ("how to be a doctor" class) and the other 20 being your science or organ block classes. Each class averages out to 50% lecture and 50% non-didactic. For your first semester, you will have Transitions I, an intro class with some stats and some communication stuff for the first two weeks (at least we did). Then the rest of the semester, you will have 6 hours/week FCP, 10 hrs/wk Human Structure (anatomy), and 10 hrs/wk Molecules to Cells and Tissues. An example of a typical week for me during first semester:

Monday: 9-11 FCP lecture; 1-3 HS lecture; 1-5 HS lab
Tuesday: 1-3 MCT lecture; 3-5 MCT small group (TBL or PBL)
Wednesday: 8-12 FCP small group; 1-3 MCT lecture; 3-5 HS lab
Thursday: 1-3 MCT lecture; 3-5 MCT small group
Friday: 1-3 HS lecture; 3-5 HS lab

The schedule varies, especially on exam weeks, but you can expect to have afternoon class every day and morning stuff 1-3 days per week. Lecture attendance is no longer mandatory. Second semester, you start organ blocks, and each class comes up with its own way to divide lecture and non-lecture, but it still averages out to no more than 50% lecture per block.

Any current or future Fort Wayne campus med students have any insight on how the recent transition from IPFW to PFW will affect the IUSM campus/experience?

I doubt you'd get anyone from FW responding to a thread like this. Not anonymous enough. Searching FB they have class-specific facebook groups and one large FW IUSM fb page. I'd join and ask your questions there.

I can't imagine it will change anything. Even when Purdue takes over, IU is going to remain in charge of all the health sciences. The IU School of Medicine has its own building hosted at the IPFW/PFW campus, just like it does at Notre Dame, Purdue in Lafayette, and all the rest of the regional campuses. You'll still have full access to the facilities, medical library, gym, etc.

Last edited:
Any guesstimates on when we would hear back regarding 2nd chance lottery?

Does anybody know if we can get coated by any physician we want at the white coat ceremony?

Yes you invite someone who has been somewhat of a mentor or integral to your path to dental school

Does going to a satellite campus affect your chances at more competitive residencies? If you go to a satellite campus for two years and then transfer to the Indy campus, are you missing out on opportunities (research, clinical experience, etc.) during those first two years that might help your chances later?

Hopefully we start to see some movement with the second chance lottery today!! Fingers crossed till June 2! And to all of those on the wait list I'm pulling for you!

If we haven't heard anything yet, are we rejected?

If we haven't heard anything yet, are we rejected?
Officially, no. Unofficially, and from my past experience, yes. :(

I'm taking my talents to a DO school though, and very happy with what I've seen. Good luck to you!

Hey guys, I also received the WL email and I sent in the alternate form last week on Monday... Kinda scared because it still does not have the green check mark on the portal. Anyone else?

Has anybody's alternate forms been received yet with a green checkmark on the portal? If so, when did you send the form in?

Hello all! I just had a serious brain fart. Question for accepted students:

I was filling out the immunization checklist form, and see that they require a student ID#. I've completely forgotten when or where we could have received this. Any ideas?

EDIT: Was able to find it. For anyone else in a similar situation you can find the ID on your Financial page by viewing your Award Notification.

Last edited:
Hello all! I just had a serious brain fart. Question for accepted students:

I was filling out the immunization checklist form, and see that they require a student ID#. I've completely forgotten when or where we could have received this. Any ideas?

EDIT: Was able to find it. For anyone else in a similar situation you can find the ID on your Financial page by viewing your Award Notification.

Where do you see this form? I have not received it

Hey people!
I saw some people get their alternate forms and wanted to let you know there's a lot of hope! I was pulled off last year verrryyy close to the white coat ceremony and now I just finished Ms1! It's been a wild ride but just hang in there. PM me if you have any questions :)

Reactions: 3 users