2016-2017 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how long Hofstra takes post-interview to give out decisions? I interviewed 11/21 and nothing.

I interviewed 10/19 and nothing. Makes me very nervous that I am on the waitlist or rejection list for having such a long wait...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 10/19 and nothing. Makes me very nervous that I am on the waitlist or rejection list for having such a long wait...

Yeah I interviewed mid october so I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing good news but what happens happens

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone have an interviewer that was "bad cop"? One of mine was kind of sarcastic, but it seemed like they were trying to get me to break composure.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't know if this is common knowledge, but I hope it's helpful: I interviewed this month and they pretty much said everyone would hear by mid march (unless waitlisted).

Did anyone have an interviewer that was "bad cop"? One of mine was kind of sarcastic, but it seemed like they were trying to get me to break composure.
My interviewing experience here definitely does not take the cake in being the most pleasant during my interview trail. I got the sense that my interviewers did not like me as much as they seemed a bit aloof and uninterested in what I had to say. I'd like to think that it's because they had to adhere to some sort of role but who knows? Perhaps I am just not the kind of person they are looking for. Oh and if you were curious - interviewed in December and have yet to hear back.

Reactions: 2 users
I've decided not to attend the interview, so a spot should open up for grabs.
Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how they feel about letters of interest at this point? Still waiting on a decision pre-II.

Anyone know how they feel about letters of interest at this point? Still waiting on a decision pre-II.

Schools prob like
9c0fac6890f360cb53f9f0ce5ad9fa69.gif

but "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" I say go for it! I sent updates to schools recently waiting on tons of pre-II decisions. It stinks :(

I have to say that only to give decisions to accepted students and to leave the rest of us hanging like this after the interview (those wait-listed or rejected) until the spring is extremely rude. I interviewed in September... This is the only school that I have applied to that does this.

Reactions: 4 users
I have to say that only to give decisions to accepted students and to leave the rest of us hanging like this after the interview (those wait-listed or rejected) until the spring is extremely rude. I interviewed in September... This is the only school that I have applied to that does this.
i know some places take their sweet time (e.g. NYU, Geisel, HMS and more). I got the vibe that this school is very receptive/take seriously a letter of intent. I hope you hear good news!

I also interviewed in September ... I remember them saying don't worry if people from different interview dates hear back before you but like 4 months is pushing it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody sent in a letter of interest? Highly interested in this school for multiple reasons, but silence since being complete in mid July. If I were to upload a letter of interest, I assume I would upload as an "Other" document?

Has anybody sent in a letter of interest? Highly interested in this school for multiple reasons, but silence since being complete in mid July. If I were to upload a letter of interest, I assume I would upload as an "Other" document?

Not sure about pre-II, but the admissions staff made a point about letters of intent and they welcomed them but they also take them seriously. I would give them a call and ask if they are acceptable pre-II

I am also interested in this, and interested about thoughts on a letter of interest versus intent. I wrote a letter of INTENT to a different school, but Hofstra is my second choice and I want to share my interest. Is it worth it to write a letter of INTEREST now, (I would never write two schools letters of intent) or should I hold out and write a letter of intent if my first choice rejects me?

Guys I haven't heard back from this school and I interviewed on 12/1. Should I be concerned or is there any similar person? I'm thinking of emailing the office to ask what's up. But I don't know if that's frowned upon

Guys I haven't heard back from this school and I interviewed on 12/1. Should I be concerned or is there any similar person? I'm thinking of emailing the office to ask what's up. But I don't know if that's frowned upon

I haven't heard back either and I interviewed in late Nov....
Trying to be patient over here, let me know if you e-mail them

Radio silence since I interviewed in October, sooo... slowly losing hope over here. But I guess you don't know until you know?

I interviewed 12/14 and emailed them. I was told there were limited spots and they were waiting to see if any opened up.
It sounds like if we haven't heard back, we're on waitlist. They said to ask again in about a month.

Makes sense, many schools are releasing their decisions in late February/early March.

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed 12/14 and emailed them. I was told there were limited spots and they were waiting to see if any opened up.
It sounds like if we haven't heard back, we're on waitlist. They said to ask again in about a month.

Makes sense, many schools are releasing their decisions in late February/early March.
Thank you for reaching out to them :)

I figured as much, but still very sad. I love this school!

Last edited:
I think Hofstra tends to pick high star candidates that go elsewhere so a good number of spots should open up. I still don't feel good about my chances looking at their acceptance e rates though

Did you just email the admissions office or do anything through your portal?

Did you just email the admissions office or do anything through your portal?

I just emailed them. I may update my transcripts (but I sort of don't want to because of some B's), but I can't upload a letter of intent because I have already submitted one elsewhere.

What does everyone think of the match list? I've noticed all the competitive specialties plastics, urology, and neurosurgery are home matches, which is disconcerting. Also, so many preliminary matches... I've heard from a surgery friend that preliminary matches are generally undesirable. Great curriculum nonetheless, but the results are a bit? Can anyone comment on this?

PGY-1 here. (Recent Grad of Hofstra). Just wanted to clarify one pt. If you are referring to "prelim" list on 2016 Hofstra Match list, that's because several specialties require prelim (PGY-1 year prior to R1 year). For an example, a derm resident who is doing pre-lim at Winthrop will be considered a "Winthrop Medicine prelim"

We only have 1 true "prelim" from our class, and that's because he wanted to keep his options open for next year, as he was mostly undecided. Otherwise, all of us matched to a specific program (R years) +/- prelim (depends on specialty)

I don't think you guys have much to worry about residency at all. Many of my classmates stayed at home for various reasons, including 1) we had a large group from long island, and they wanted to stay home 2) You get student loan wiped out if you work at NSLIJ for certain number of years, and residency counts for those years.

Hope this helps.

PGY-1 here. (Recent Grad of Hofstra). Just wanted to clarify one pt. If you are referring to "prelim" list on 2016 Hofstra Match list, that's because several specialties require prelim (PGY-1 year prior to R1 year). For an example, a derm resident who is doing pre-lim at Winthrop will be considered a "Winthrop Medicine prelim"

We only have 1 true "prelim" from our class, and that's because he wanted to keep his options open for next year, as he was mostly undecided. Otherwise, all of us matched to a specific program (R years) +/- prelim (depends on specialty)

I don't think you guys have much to worry about residency at all. Many of my classmates stayed at home for various reasons, including 1) we had a large group from long island, and they wanted to stay home 2) You get student loan wiped out if you work at NSLIJ for certain number of years, and residency counts for those years.

Hope this helps.

student loans completely knocked out? whoa. Does this depend on the specialty and offer?

Did you have any trouble getting interviews as a Hofstra grad? Thanks for the insight :)

student loans completely knocked out? whoa. Does this depend on the specialty and offer?

Did you have any trouble getting interviews as a Hofstra grad? Thanks for the insight :)

Doesn't matter on what specialty you choose. Only the NSLIJ loans. Not the federal loans :)

No. I didn't have any troubles getting interviews. Got 18 II, went to 8 and cancelled the rest. Residency programs often actually asked about the Hofstra curriculum, and while this doesn't pertain to you guys for next few years, I was able to spin from there and have discussion about why I was interest in that program (ultimately the whole pt of interview, right?)

Complete in August and silence... any chance still for an II?

Rejected just now, pre II

Complete mid Sept., IS, LM mid 70s, non trad...

I interviewed mid-December and have yet to hear anything. Anyone else around this time hear back yet?

rejected pre-II, completed late sept, OOS, non-trad LizzyM mid 60's

Hope this helps.

Well thanks for the reply! I hadn't counted the total number of matches and thought they were all unique. It certainly makes more sense now why so many decided to stay at NS-LIJ.

Hey all. Hope your cycle is going well! What is the latest Hofstra interview date people have heard back from?

I'd like to talk to any current students that went to SLW if they're on this thread!
Hey, I'm an MS1 at Hofstra that went to Second Look last year. Feel free to ask me any questions or PM me if you're more comfortable with that.

Hey, I'm an MS1 at Hofstra that went to Second Look last year. Feel free to ask me any questions or PM me if you're more comfortable with that.
If I interviewed Mid December and still have not heard back, are the odds of me getting accepted straight up pretty low? I've checked past threads and it's usually the people that hear back a month or so after their interview that get accepted rather than people who don't hear for months. I'm pretty sure I'm getting waitlisted or rejected at this point...

If I interviewed Mid December and still have not heard back, are the odds of me getting accepted straight up pretty low? I've checked past threads and it's usually the people that hear back a month or so after their interview that get accepted rather than people who don't hear for months. I'm pretty sure I'm getting waitlisted or rejected at this point...

I honestly can't say for sure; I don't know what the wait time usually is (since I only have my own experience to draw from and like 2 other close friends)... But either way, what I can tell you is that you'll probably hear back soon (i.e. within the next few weeks or so) because interviews seem to be done for this cycle.

If they don't want to accept people, why can't they let them know instead of waiting months later?

Reactions: 8 users
So the waitlists come out in march? I can't believe I haven't heard back yet lol....It's been over 2 months

So the waitlists come out in march? I can't believe I haven't heard back yet lol....It's been over 2 months
Interviewed in September and haven't heard back. I feel the struggle.

The fact that they keep us waiting like this is so disrespectful. Let everyone know at the same time. I interviewed on their first day of interviews in September, and this is the only school that I interviewed at that has not let me know of their decision. I know mine is to not come to such a school that treats its prospective students so poorly.

The fact that they keep us waiting like this is so disrespectful. Let everyone know at the same time. I interviewed on their first day of interviews in September, and this is the only school that I interviewed at that has not let me know of their decision. I know mine is to not come to such a school that treats its prospective students so poorly.

Lol stop moaning. Many of the top 20 schools wait until late winter. Would you not go to those schools either? They clearly stated March would be final decision time. You seem like "that guy/girl" at interviews.

Lol stop moaning. Many of the top 20 schools wait until late winter. Would you not go to those schools either? They clearly stated March would be final decision time. You seem like "that guy/girl" at interviews.

I'm not moaning... and I don't know what you mean by "that guy/girl". Hofstra never said they would get back by March. Those top 20 schools explicitly say they will give decisions out in winter and EVERYONE gets decisions at the same time, not just the accepted people. That's where this school is disrespectful, by updating only the accepted students in the early fall and leaving the rest of the interviewed people hanging until they're forced to give out decisions because of the AMCAS reporting deadlines.