2016-2017 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Follow up question. How did you send your thank you notes? I know they said they would email us with our interviewers' names. But they said they wouldn't give us their contact information and that we could upload our thank you notes online. Did anyone successfully upload their thank you notes?

Members don't see this ad.

Follow up question. How did you send your thank you notes? I know they said they would email us with our interviewers' names. But they said they wouldn't give us their contact information and that we could upload our thank you notes online. Did anyone successfully upload their thank you notes?

Just uploaded it via their portal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Anyone else receive a decision from interview dates in mid-late October? Silence here, so I'm guessing that's not good news.

I interviewed on 10/19 and haven't heard anything. Soooooooooo anxious and nervous cause its been my only interview. I would be so so so happy to go here

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing next week (12/14) for the MD/PhD program! Completed November 27th because I am a terrible human being.
Hope to see ya'll there :)

Accepted!!! I loved this school. Interviewed early November.

Congrats!! I'm sure you are so thrilled. I know I will be if I'm accepted here! (Also interviewed early Nov, also loved this school -- no word yet)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Literally just accepted! blessed

Reactions: 7 users
Rejected pre-II! Complete late sept. Good luck everyone!

I said one of my favorite shows is It's always sunny in philly. The interviewer chuckled a bit but I feel like I didn't get much of a reaction from my interviewers on my interview day. They just had a slight smile the entire time.

Anyone who interviewed late October hear back yet?

accepted! interviewed end of november.

really loved this school but need to wait for second look! so happy rn

Reactions: 3 users
Doesn't look good for us late October interviewees lol

Accepted! Interviewed 12/15... Incredibly stoked to get my first acceptance. LizzyM 73-75, OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
Have the recent acceptances only been recent interviewees? I interviewed in October and haven't heard, makes me think I'm a reject since it's been over two months since I interviewed..... my interviewer also only asked me one question and talked for a total of the full 45 minutes....

I'm planning on asking one of my fall semester professors to write me a letter of rec and I wanted to know the earliest time they can submit it.

I know the application opens in June/July but can we store our recommendations somewhere?

Thanks.

I'm planning on asking one of my fall semester professors to write me a letter of rec and I wanted to know the earliest time they can submit it.

I know the application opens in June/July but can we store our recommendations somewhere?

Thanks.
I also used interfolio. Your professors can then upload the recs whenever they are ready and then you can electronically send them to amcas. It was really easy

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

What does everyone think of the match list? I've noticed all the competitive specialties plastics, urology, and neurosurgery are home matches, which is disconcerting. Also, so many preliminary matches... I've heard from a surgery friend that preliminary matches are generally undesirable. Great curriculum nonetheless, but the results are a bit? Can anyone comment on this?

What does everyone think of the match list? I've noticed all the competitive specialties plastics, urology, and neurosurgery are home matches, which is disconcerting. Also, so many preliminary matches... I've heard from a surgery friend that preliminary matches are generally undesirable. Great curriculum nonetheless, but the results are a bit? Can anyone comment on this?

To be fair, this program is only like 5 years old, and it takes time to build a reputation, so I'd say it's a pretty good match list for such a new school.

To be fair, this program is only like 5 years old, and it takes time to build a reputation, so I'd say it's a pretty good match list for such a new school.

Yeah, but it's something worth analyzing right? If we enter this year, there should be about 4 or so more match lists? I wonder if by that time the list will be similar to other comparable schools.

Has anyone heard anything negative about this school?

Yeah, but it's something worth analyzing right? If we enter this year, there should be about 4 or so more match lists? I wonder if by that time the list will be similar to other comparable schools.

Has anyone heard anything negative about this school?

When I interviewed I asked a third year student what they didn't like about the school. They said that it's location is really not the best. I'm not too familiar with Long Island so I can't speak to that...any other opinions?

When I interviewed I asked a third year student what they didn't like about the school. They said that it's location is really not the best. I'm not too familiar with Long Island so I can't speak to that...any other opinions?

Hempstead is really small. Every surrounding area in Long Island is like 5 mins away by car as super nice. And you can't really beat the LIRR for getting into manhattan in like <30 mins.

Yeah I've heard the same complaints about location and night life from the students. I've also heard some complaints about the implementation of the 3rd and 4th year curriculum from previous years. I wonder if there is continued merit in those complaints.

Anyone know if Hofstra is done with giving out interviews? Silence since July...

also accepted this morning via email :) out of state, interviewed first week of december

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today! Interviewed Dec 15th, out of state

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an II over the phone to fill a last minute cancellation tomorrow but had to decline :diebanana:

Edit: Rescheduled to a day that works!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received an II over the phone to fill a last minute cancellation tomorrow but had to decline :diebanana:

Edit: Rescheduled to a day that works!

Congrats! Give me hope! Mind sharing when you were complete?

Anyone know how long Hofstra takes post-interview to give out decisions? I interviewed 11/21 and nothing.

Anyone know how long Hofstra takes post-interview to give out decisions? I interviewed 11/21 and nothing.
it can vary tremendously. i heard back in 3 weeks. my friend heard back in ~1.5 months. a current student i know there heard back in 4 months