2016-2017 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't make it. If someone is going, could you post a recap of the weekend for us who are unable to get out to the event?
It was very obvious that the school wants to recruit good students, but what stood out to me is that the students also seemed to really love their school. They put on a packed two days of events for us but everything was well-organized and meant to help you find out if Hofstra is the right fit for you. Overall very impressed, I didn't like the school very much on interview day but now it's one of my top choices! Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It was very obvious that the school wants to recruit good students, but what stood out to me is that the students also seemed to really love their school. They put on a packed two days of events for us but everything was well-organized and meant to help you find out if Hofstra is the right fit for you. Overall very impressed, I didn't like the school very much on interview day but now it's one of my top choices! Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Thank you for the recap! I am on the waitlist now and love this school and was wondering about how many people were there, and whether most people felt like they were leaning towards hofstra. I know its all speculation but I'm curious about any information regarding waitlist movement

Members don't see this ad :)
Also would love to know this. Do they give any merit scholarships alongside financial aid as well?
My need was met, but I didn't receive any merit aid. That being said, I am not URM/from an underprivileged background. I have good stats and experience. When I spoke to the financial aid folks, they said aid is all need-based, but I have heard of the dean pulling some strings for really outstanding/unique folks.

My need was met, but I didn't receive any merit aid. That being said, I am not URM/from an underprivileged background. I have good stats and experience. When I spoke to the financial aid folks, they said aid is all need-based, but I have heard of the dean pulling some strings for really outstanding/unique folks.
Thank you for the response! I figured the aid was strong here given their tendency to pull high stats candidates and their affiliation with Northwell.

Thank you for the response! I figured the aid was strong here given their tendency to pull high stats candidates and their affiliation with Northwell.

Not sure how they calculate financial need, but I got all federal loans to cover the entire CoA. I don't consider my family wealthy by any means..

Not sure how they calculate financial need, but I got all federal loans to cover the entire CoA. I don't consider my family wealthy by any means..
Wow that really stinks. So you received your package today?

Did you get an email? I haven't received any type of financial notification yet

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone made a thread for waitlisted students? Just so we can track movement come traffic day.

Members don't see this ad :)
50% Tuition Scholarship, not thrilled with the prospect of taking out 25k in loans but I suppose things can be worse...

50% Tuition Scholarship, not thrilled with the prospect of taking out 25k in loans but I suppose things can be worse...
That's paltry compared to the $200-300k debt that the rest of us will have... Be grateful, dude.

Reactions: 4 users

You know what? The aid here is actually pretty good. Wasn't expecting it as I didn't receive anything from other schools except unsubsidized loans.

Anyone else here sort of worried by the fact that our aid packages are not guaranteed all 4 years? Is this normal?

Anyone else here sort of worried by the fact that our aid packages are not guaranteed all 4 years? Is this normal?
To my knowledge, aid is always evaluated year by year, regardless of school.

Just withdrew myself from waitlist consideration after getting my first acceptance today. Best of luck to all of you waiting for good news!!!!

I just withdrew from an MD/PhD acceptance. Hope someone here gets it!

Just withdrew from MD acceptance, hope it opens up something for one of you! Good luck!

Withdrew MD acceptance just now. I hope my spot goes one of you wonderful people here! Good luck guys!!

Last edited:
accepted off the waitlist today! Going back through this thread and the website to find some answers-

I think class is mandatory since most everything is PEARLS driven?

Does anyone know if the first two years are p/f unranked?

@HofstraMedStudent

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Was accepted off the waitlist too! Am very conflicted between Hofstra and another school.

Reactions: 2 users
accepted off the waitlist today! Going back through this thread and the website to find some answers-

Was accepted off the waitlist too! Am very conflicted between Hofstra and another school.

congrats!!

Congrats! Did you guys send in any updates or letters of interest/intent lately?

Congrats! How were you notified? Email or phone call?

Congrats! Did you guys send in any updates or letters of interest/intent lately?

I sent in an update letter in February and was waitlisted in March. I have a feeling that most spots were filled when I interviewed in January.

Reactions: 2 users
I received answers to my own questions, but I wanted to share:

Class is mandatory and attendance is taken!

The first two years are p/f unranked.

I got off the waitlist on Monday (interviewed in September) and the admissions dean called me to set up a time to visit the school. Has this happened to anyone else?

accepted off the waitlist today!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, everyone! I'm a first-year medical student at HNSOM and wanted to extend my congratulations to you all on your acceptances!! If anyone has questions about the school, curriculum, living on Long Island, etc., feel free to ask me here or shoot me a PM!

Does Hofstra extend any financial aid or scholarships to med students.

Anyone has lowered tuition fee please. Advice

accepted of WL. declined. hope it goes to one of you waiting!

Question for anyone who's been accepted: did you upload all your LOIs and updates to the portal, or did you ever email admissions directly?

Did you get a confirmation when you withdrew from the portal?
I did not. You can always email the admission team to make sure the withdrawal was processed to ease any worries. I only know mine was processed because a week later, I got a warning from another school about multiple acceptances and it listed only school X, not Hofstra.