2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
can those of you who were able to attend the alternate list webinar today share what they discussed? What did they say regarding the process for alternates? Thank you so much - this would be so appreciated for those of us working at that time.

Didn't even hear about it...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody got any interview results over the last 7-10 days?

Just took myself off the alternate list. Best of luck to everyone!

The list is everyone who interviewed but didn't get an initial offer... But it seems like it moved by double digits the last few years... My MSAR is still active, I can try to figure out numbers tomorrow...

I was just rejected today (3/15) post II, but without being put on the alternate list. I guess the list is not all encompassing.

Interviewed 2/16

Last edited:
I was just rejected post II, but without being put on the alternate list. I guess the list is not all encompassing.
Sorry to hear that. Did you get the email today? And may I ask when your interview was?

Did everyone get the "alternate status" e-mail about continued interest in staying on the waitlist?

Just got alternate listed :/ Interviewed late Jan. Does anyone know when the alternate list starts moving and how much it moves on average every year?

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 2/2. So thrilled because I literally had re-started studying for the MCAT in preparation for re-application! First acceptance, do not lose hope guys! Anyone know when the second look event is?

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted this morning! Interviewed 2/2. So thrilled because I literally had re-started studying for the MCAT in preparation for re-application! First acceptance, do not lose hope guys! Anyone know when the second look event is?

Iirc it is this Tuesday. Contact them asap if u want to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

+1... are you doing an LOI or an update?? I just did an update a week ago so that's out of the picture, and I want to do an LOI but I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools so I am not sure whether I want to say its my top choice or not.. I don't like this time pressure they're adding to the mix lol

+1... are you doing an LOI or an update?? I just did an update a week ago so that's out of the picture, and I want to do an LOI but I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools so I am not sure whether I want to say its my top choice or not.. I don't like this time pressure they're adding to the mix lol
bro i feel ya. I sent an update/LOI two weeks ago so now I have no idea what to say in this letter lol

Anybody know what to include in the "Statement of Interest"?

Is this a short "I am still very interested in attending" Statement or is it a full on LOI ?

For people who got the alternate pool e-mail asking for your first and last name, your AAMC ID#, your preferred contact info, and a statement of interest how did you submit this? All of this is already on my application portal and I already submitted a statement of interest before being placed in the alternate pool so I'm a little bit confused about what they want us to do here. I'm probably going to e-mail admissions by the end of the day tomorrow to ask, but wanted to see if anybody on here had an answer before I did. Thanks!

For people who got the alternate pool e-mail asking for your first and last name, your AAMC ID#, your preferred contact info, and a statement of interest how did you submit this? All of this is already on my application portal and I already submitted a statement of interest before being placed in the alternate pool so I'm a little bit confused about what they want us to do here. I'm probably going to e-mail admissions by the end of the day tomorrow to ask, but wanted to see if anybody on here had an answer before I did. Thanks!
Can you please let us know what they say! I feel that a lot of other alternates, myself included, did the exact same

Anybody know what to include in the "Statement of Interest"?

Is this a short "I am still very interested in attending" Statement or is it a full on LOI ?

Can you elaborate on the email that you are talking about? I was waitlisted a few days ago, and received the webinar email today, but was never asked for "my contact information and a statement of interest" in either of the emails!!

Can you elaborate on the email that you are talking about? I was waitlisted a few days ago, and received the webinar email today, but was never asked for "my contact information and a statement of interest" in either of the emails!!
It may be because you were waitlisted recently. I believe they sent the email to people who were waitlisted earlier in the cycle.

Update on the alternate pool email I got! So I called admissions and they said just to submit a PDF that has your name, AAMC ID, current mailing address, current e-mail, current phone #, and your statement of interest all on one page. So I just put all that in a word doc and then made it a pdf and uploaded it as an update on the portal.

Does anyone know how we can connect to the webinar? Are they gonna email us the link in advance or what? The eventbrite page did not have any information on this.

Edit: Nvm, I received the instructions this morning

Last edited:
Apparently, GW is honors/pass/fail for pre-clinical years. Does anyone know the cutoffs for pass and honors?

Accepted yesterday! URM LizzyM ~68
Does anybody know if there is an accepted students facebook page? If so, could somebody point me towards the link? Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know the start date for the pre-matriculation program? Thanks.

Did anybody have the time to watch today's alternate webinar? Can you share some of the information please!

Did anybody have the time to watch today's alternate webinar? Can you share some of the information please!
They were generally vague (as all adcoms are), but here were the main points:
  • Movement always happens, but varies year to year so they can't let us know how many people they expect to send offers to
  • They cannot disclose how many people are on the the waitlist
  • There are undisclosed tiers within the waitlist, but that list is very fluid
  • Offers will likely come at the end of April and throughout May (by mid-June is generally when you have to accept it's over)
  • Updates/LOIs are still accepted, but at this point they do not factor as much into the decision
  • Sending weekly updates or constantly contacting the admissions committee is actually detrimental
  • Waitlisted students that are eventually accepted have the same opportunities for financial aid as flat out accepted students
  • They do not provide application feedback, but if you're on the waitlist they "didn't see any red flags" and think you're "a qualified candidate for medical school."
Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Are there any current students or do you know any current students who can answer my questions please?

Thank you so much!

Good evening everyone. I applied to GW as well; I've yet to hear from them. When I call they simply tell me about their 'rolling style' application system. I haven't received an interview or any indication about a waiting list, however there is also no indication that they have denied my application. Do I still have hope?

Any response is greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

Good evening everyone. I applied to GW as well; I've yet to hear from them. When I call they simply tell me about their 'rolling style' application system. I haven't received an interview or any indication about a waiting list, however there is also no indication that they have denied my application. Do I still have hope?

The interview season at GW ended more than a month ago. So at this point, unfortunately, there is no chance of receiving an II.

I believe that last cycle the admissions committee offered last minute phone interviews to one or two candidates (see last cycle's SDN thread).

Is anyone else having trouble loading their application portal? I've tried on my phone and laptop, and from two different browsers but it won't even bring up the "login" panel.