2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the email. I have no idea how I feel about it. There's been some movement with people withdrawing that we've seen on this thread. Likewise, We only know about the 18th being a key day because one poster was able to get that information. I doubt FIU wanted everyone to know.

Either way I think it's pretty strange that they would send us such an email the day before the 18th. I'm just confused...
The way I thought the email was written was that no waitlist movement has happened yet, but it should happen soon? Could be wrong

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am kind of surprised that they did not ask whether we wanted to withdraw from the waitlist in the email. Definitely very confusing. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens!

Weird that they sent that out after seeing quite a few people post here that they withdrew. Extrapolating that there should be some open spots! Maybe they foresaw this and overaccepted this year?
On a side note, I spoke to a recent HWCOM grad over the weekend and he estimated 3/4 of his class were waitlisters. Im keeping hope alive for now

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if "excited" is the best word to describe my feelings... lol

Idk if "excited" is the best word to describe my feelings... lol

If "excited" is a manifestation of deep rooted anxiety then I am super excited

This kind of thing always happens when it's the last thing in your mind. That, and I'm tired of being overly anxious during the intrrview cycle to freak out yet again. Stay calm friends, if it's meant to happen, it will. :)

I got an email yesterday saying that there had been no waitlist movement. Anybody hear back today? My LizzyM score is a 68 I think

Also, are any of you going to reapply if you don't hear anything soon?

Last edited:
Nothing today it seems.. starting to lose hope

I got an email yesterday saying that there had been no waitlist movement. Anybody hear back today? My LizzyM score is a 68 I think

Also, are any of you going to reapply if you don't hear anything soon?
Nothing today it seems.. starting to lose hope

Well I guess its safe to say that if we do not see movement today that the email meant there are no spots available. Which really stinks.

Well I guess its safe to say that if we do not see movement today that the email meant there are no spots available. Which really stinks.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. Maybe today was when they were making decisions on the waitlist. I don't know what is was, but there was never an official email saying that we were going to find out something on May 18. So I don't think anyone should put too much faith on that date. I personally believe there are seats , and that anything can happen still happen

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone here in-state FIU student that also got waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email for the cert program today. Anyone else?
Yeah.
I have a suspicion that the reason there hasant been any waitlist movement is because any vacant spots that were available were given to people who successfully went through this program.

Yeah.
I have a suspicion that the reason there hasant been any waitlist movement is because any vacant spots that were available were given to people who successfully went through this program.

My thoughts exactly.

We know that 11 got accepted from those that were on the wait list previously, but I am curious to know how many wait listed students there were total in the 42.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly.

We know that 11 got accepted from those that were on the wait list previously, but I am curious to know how many wait listed students there was total in the 42.

I want to say there was 18 total wait listed. 11 of them went to FIU following the program (they're starting their first year this year). Some of the others went to other schools. Some of them royally ****ed up and got a C so it was a waste of time, money, and yeah, that probably just sucked a whole lot period.

I want to say there was 18 total wait listed. 11 of them went to FIU following the program (they're starting their first year this year). Some of the others went to other schools. Some of them royally ****ed up and got a C so it was a waste of time, money, and yeah, that probably just sucked a whole lot period.

11/18 is not terrible, I guess? I cant imagine being one of those 7 that really must suck having to go through this all again. Did you know people in this class?
Im considering doing it if I end up getting rejected but its such a huge risk! Especially since I have an acceptance already at a DO school...

11/18 is not terrible, I guess? I cant imagine being one of those 7 that really must suck having to go through this all again. Did you know people in this class?
Im considering doing it if I end up getting rejected but its such a huge risk! Especially since I have an acceptance already at a DO school...

I feel like if you have trouble in this program you might have some in actual medical school so...idk to each their own.

If they want a class of 120, 18 spots have already been taken. Which is 15%

We are in the same exact boat. lol I have been accepted to a DO school too and that is it. haha

I feel like if you have trouble in this program you might have some in actual medical school so...idk to each their own.

True, but I am more concerned about something else happening, like I get sick and cannot perform, or some outside source prevents me from being successful. Then I am out of a whole bunch of $$ with nothing to prove. Its not so much the classes that scare me, but that doesn't help. hahah

Just wished there was a little more transparency. Trying to plan my next year and need to know certain things. Id feel like a fool if I missed an opportunity waiting on something that has no chance in happening?

I was excited for May 18th. When nothing happened I thought maybe they will call on Friday if they do, but this graduate program email threw a complete curveball. If what y'all are saying is true I'd be really bummed

Just wished there was a little more transparency. Trying to plan my next year and need to know certain things. Id feel like a fool if I missed an opportunity waiting on something that has no chance in happening?

I feel you. I was accepted to one other program, and it starts in July. And it is out of state. Time is running out for me. :(

I dont even need to know where I am at on the wait list, I just want to know if they have a full class or not.

One thing is having trouble" like getting C's, another thing is not getting the 90 average you need to get the acceptance.

One thing is having trouble" like getting C's, another thing is not getting the 90 average you need to get the acceptance.

Mhmmm. And with so few classes, a little blip could cost you dearly.

The certificate program is for people who were waitlisted in the previous cycle. So when they say

"Of the 42 students who completed this program for 2016-2017, 11 PREVIOUSLY waitlisted students gained acceptance for August 2017"

It means that 11 students who were waitlisted in the PREVIOUS cycle (2015-2016) were automatically accepted this cycle, i.e- never occupying a spot on this year's waitlist. Same goes for those that interviewed, of the 42 students, 16 were interviewed and 7 of those were accepted without being waitlisted. Don't lose hope, my fellow gunners.

The certificate program is for people who were waitlisted in the previous cycle. So when they say

"Of the 42 students who completed this program for 2016-2017, 11 PREVIOUSLY waitlisted students gained acceptance for August 2017"

It means that 11 students who were waitlisted in the PREVIOUS cycle (2015-2016) were automatically accepted this cycle, i.e- never occupying a spot on this year's waitlist. Same goes for those that interviewed, of the 42 students, 16 were interviewed and 7 of those were accepted without being waitlisted. Don't lose hope, my fellow gunners.

Thats what I took from it as well. Hopefully it works out for us!

Well yeah, I mean if theyre doing the program they wouldnt reapply hence, they wouldnt be on this years waitlist right? Not sure I get what you mean...

Well yeah, I mean if theyre doing the program they wouldnt reapply hence, they wouldnt be on this years waitlist right? Not sure I get what you mean...

Not going to lie, I thought it was semi redundant. But, we are all on the same page now at least. Right? hahaha :shrug:

Hey all! Accepted student here for the fall. Just want to give all of you waitlisted some hope and insight into the process. The admissions office gave all of us that are accepted until the 16th to pay our seat deposit, so that's probably why they said they would be considering those that are waitlisted on the 18th. Good luck to all of you!

Hey all! Accepted student here for the fall. Just want to give all of you waitlisted some hope and insight into the process. The admissions office gave all of us that are accepted until the 16th to pay our seat deposit, so that's probably why they said they would be considering those that are waitlisted on the 18th. Good luck to all of you!
That's what I figured thank you so much for the information as well as the thought for all us!

YAYYY! Thank you for that information!

Hmm. That's really interesting. I wonder why Fiu extended the deposit due date from April 30th to May 16th. Seems kinda weird.

Hmm. That's really interesting. I wonder why Fiu extended the deposit due date from April 30th to May 16th. Seems kinda weird.

Lol good question. Aaannnd the plot thickens. Haha

The magic 8 ball said it would happen this way

I guess they all decided to keep their acceptance then since there still has not been any movement. Man, it's already May 19th and STILL no movement. Sucks. Doesn't look like there will be movement this year and if there is probably in the single digits and will be for high LizzyM and out of state people.

I feel you. I was accepted to one other program, and it starts in July. And it is out of state. Time is running out for me. :(

I dont even need to know where I am at on the wait list, I just want to know if they have a full class or not.

Yeah the class is full...that's why the waitlist isn't moving at all. For all we know they still are above 120. On the bright side at least you have your DO acceptance. No one cares about DO vs MD and all the residencies are going to be for either. I'm just praying for this one acceptance lol

At least none of you are anxiously studying for ANOTHER MCAT like me...I took the old exam so I have to retake it no matter what if not accepted anywhere this year...even if I do the grad program. Having scored a 31 with double digits in each section the first time really makes this a bummer...anyone want to share what they studied for the psych/social section? :D lol

At least none of you are anxiously studying for ANOTHER MCAT like me...I took the old exam so I have to retake it no matter what if not accepted anywhere this year...even if I do the grad program. Having scored a 31 with double digits in each section the first time really makes this a bummer...anyone want to share what they studied for the psych/social section? :D lol
When did you take it? I took the old one too and want to know if I can use it for the grad program

When did you take it? I took the old one too and want to know if I can use it for the grad program

I spoke with one of the directors of the program personally (won't disclose their name here). They told me that if you do the grad program you'll also have to resubmit an AMCAS application along with an updated MCAT if it is not the 2015 MCAT version. You have until September 30, 2017 to take the new MCAT. (Idk if this means taking it by then or having the results by then...) Either way, I plan on taking it July 21st...PM me if you want more details.

Hey guys. Got Accepted to Temple but still waiting on FIU.

Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Admissions just told me no waitlist movement thus far