2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone looking for roommates or know a good place near the campus please pm me. I already have a post on the excel sheet on FB page. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

On the waitlist here but have been accepted to a DO program and sent in the letter of intent already. FIU is still my first choice so is it possible for me to still attend if I'm pulled off the waitlist here? Am I "locked in" to the DO school or is all I have to do email the school and tell them I'm not attending anymore? Any info would be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
On the waitlist here but have been accepted to a DO program and sent in the letter of intent already. FIU is still my first choice so is it possible for me to still attend if I'm pulled off the waitlist here? Am I "locked in" to the DO school or is all I have to do email the school and tell them I'm not attending anymore? Any info would be helpful.
Im in the same situation. Putting down a deposit as Im assuming you did for the DO school, is not a binding contract. If you get into FIU, nothing holds you back from attending. As far as the mechanics, I think a phone call to the DO program explaining the situation would suffice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the same situation. Putting down a deposit as Im assuming you did for the DO school, is not a binding contract. If you get into FIU, nothing holds you back from attending. As far as the mechanics, I think a phone call to the DO program explaining the situation would suffice.
Thanks! Also waiting on another MD school but that school starts in early June and I know FIU doesnt really pull people off the waitlist until July. If I somehow get into that school and start but then get accepted to FIU...is it still possible for me to go to FIU? Like I said, FIU is my first choice and would love to go there even though I would be happy just getting into any MD school.

Thanks! Also waiting on another MD school but that school starts in early June and I know FIU doesnt really pull people off the waitlist until July. If I somehow get into that school and start but then get accepted to FIU...is it still possible for me to go to FIU? Like I said, FIU is my first choice and would love to go there even though I would be happy just getting into any MD school.

you can be on multiple wait lists even if you have already picked another school. If the other school accepts you then you can drop the one you picked and go with the one you were wait listed at.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you! I am fortunate to be attending my top choice in CA. LOVED FIU though; I just wish OOS tuition was cheaper. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
To give some of you peace of mind, the first post about being accepted off the waitlist last year was the Monday of the week after May 1st. Meaning that if they start pulling, the earliest would most likely be May 8th.

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my application 2 days ago. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Gave up my spot this morning. Good luck!!

Has anyone heard of any movement here? Trying to remain hopeful :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)

You are not "locked in" anywhere. If FIU calls, you can email the DO program you no longer wish to attend. They'll keep your deposit money, deposit money is one way many DO schools make a lot of money off of the application process.

Yup. There is no binding contract. I had a friend get accepted to School A on the way to moving up to attend the orientation for School B and turned the car around to go to School A the day before classes started. The only thing that is time sensitive is holding acceptances. You cannot hold multiple acceptances indefinitely. There is a date by which you must make relinquish your other acceptances (while you can still sit on wait lists). This is to avoid people from hoarding acceptances and releasing acceptances for schools to disperse to waitlisted candidates.

To the current/past FIU students: I know most recommend not studying the summer before the first year of medical school, but is there anything that you did review that you found helpful, or wished you had reviewed in hindsight?
Thanks!

To the current/past FIU students: I know most recommend not studying the summer before the first year of medical school, but is there anything that you did review that you found helpful, or wished you had reviewed in hindsight?
Thanks!

I definitely agree with others that there really is no point in reviewing material prior to starting med school. You simply won't be able to make much of a dent in the material, and you won't even know what's important to focus on. So relax and enjoy the rest of your summer.

What you will need to focus on is how you can study efficiently once school starts. We start with GMC which is basically a mix of biochem, genetics, cell bio, etc. When I took it, it was kind of hard to stay on track with everything because the lectures kinda jumped around in terms of the material. So you had to quickly develop a study plan that worked for you so you didn't get behind. So try to think about how you learn best and utilize those methods. Don't be afraid to quickly ask for help when needed. The tutoring department is very helpful.

If anyone has any other questions specific about FIU or med school in general, feel free to ask.

Yup. There is no binding contract. I had a friend get accepted to School A on the way to moving up to attend the orientation for School B and turned the car around to go to School A the day before classes started. The only thing that is time sensitive is holding acceptances. You cannot hold multiple acceptances indefinitely. There is a date by which you must make relinquish your other acceptances (while you can still sit on wait lists). This is to avoid people from hoarding acceptances and releasing acceptances for schools to disperse to waitlisted candidates.
If that happened to me Id be equal parts ecstatic and livid lol..

Hi everyone,
So I will be withdrawing from FIU, and I was wondering if anyone is interested in taking over my lease at 109 towers. It's a 4bedroom/4bathroom apartment, but my lease is only for 1bed/1bath. You will not be responsible for the other 3 rooms. The apartment is fully furnished. Also includes kitchen appliances with washer and dryer in unit. Utilities/wifi/cable is all already included in the rent. The apartment is a 7 min walk from campus. Rent is 910/month. I actually already paid for an earlier move-in date, so the lease starts from Aug9-July31,2018.
Amenities include: computer room, community pool, clubhouse, study room, fitness room.
If you're interested, please let me know!

I'm starting to think that maybe those that have gotten pulled off the waitlist (if there is anyone) just happens to not post on SDN. Kinda weird that it's the 11th and still no word. Historically, FIU starts pulling within the first two weeks following the acceptance deadline (according to the past two years threads).

Last edited:
there aren't any openings yet. I spoke with a committee member this week. The number of applicants pulled off may be very small =/

there aren't any openings yet. I spoke with a committee member this week. The number of applicants pulled off may be very small =/

old-man-heart-attack.jpg

Lizzy M scores of those currently on the waitlist?
Mine is 63.1.
I want to see if there is a chance for me haha.

61 Here. Pretty surprised I got an interview to begin with but hey, I'm a dreamer.

Pretty sure its a 65. Hopefully we start having some movement soon.

How many of us are FIU undergrads?
Also, is anyone on the WL considering their certificate program?

How many of us are FIU undergrads?
Also, is anyone on the WL considering their certificate program?
FIU Alumni here, and did they reach out to you regarding this? I have considered it, but would probably advise against it (unless you have already been accepted somewhere not in the Carribean). As far as I know, they only guarantee an FIU interview and that's not enough to do another cycle and potentially be blacklisted at wherever you were accepted.

68 on the WL IS. hope to hear back but im skeptical at this point :/

I just got accepted to the cert program. A lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$ though =/

I just got accepted to the cert program. A lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$ though =/

i wouldnt give them my money. have you looked into usf's program? unless your gpa low you dont need it

Just withdrew my acceptance - hope one of you waiting hear something soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I called the FIU admissions office on Monday and asked when they would begin moving the WL. I was told that they are waiting until after May 18th to move the WL because that is when they will have an accurate number of students who are actually attending. I hope I decreased the anxiety levels in some of you by posting this lol.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I called the FIU admissions office on Monday and asked when they would begin moving the WL. I was told that they are waiting until after May 18th to move the WL because that is when they will have an accurate number of students who are actually attending. I hope I decreased the anxiety levels in some of you by posting this lol.

you definitely did.

i wouldnt give them my money. have you looked into usf's program? unless your gpa low you dont need it

I don't think I need it either...But there's a certain value in certainty that might make it worth it? It still comes out cheaper than going to any of the other schools I've been wait-listed at.

Does the USF program have a "guaranteed acceptance" policy? I would also have to pay for room and board at USF since I'm from Miami anyway.

FIU Alumni here, and did they reach out to you regarding this? I have considered it, but would probably advise against it (unless you have already been accepted somewhere not in the Carribean). As far as I know, they only guarantee an FIU interview and that's not enough to do another cycle and potentially be blacklisted at wherever you were accepted.

If you achieve a 3.75 GPA with no grade below a B, you are guaranteed an acceptance...get a C and you just wasted a whole lot of time and money.

Pretty sure its a 65. Hopefully we start having some movement soon.

I know. Crossing my fingers. Ugh. The only other school I have been admitted to is in another state and starts in July. Time is ticking fort chance to attend here and its killing me slowly. FIU has been my top choice since the beginning.
Thank you but I thought it wasn't ranked? Chronological order WL I thought

How would that work? Like would we be accepted in order of interview date? If so, I am not in a great position having interviewed towards the end of January. :/

phewwwww

with all these withdrawals of acceptance I hope theres some decent WL movement :nailbiting:

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else really excited for tomorrow!? :soexcited:The 18th is almost here! Crossing my fingers for everyone on this thread!

Anyone else get the wait list status email? I was so excited for 0.5 seconds when I saw FIU HWCOM pop up in my inbox lol

On the bright side, it was confirmation that their waitlist hasn't begun moving yet! (I think that's a good thing?) Good luck fellow waitlisters!!

Anyone else get the wait list status email? I was so excited for 0.5 seconds when I saw FIU HWCOM pop up in my inbox lol

On the bright side, it was confirmation that their waitlist hasn't begun moving yet! (I think that's a good thing?) Good luck fellow waitlisters!!

This is what I got. Im not sure if its reassurance that it will begin soon, or that there are simply no spots available. Im leaning more towards the latter, but a previous post did say they were waiting till the 18th so idk.

"Good afternoon. We wanted to keep you informed and provide as much transparency about our process as possible. We have not had any movement on the wait list thus far. Unfortunately,we are not able to let you know your position on the Wait List at this time. We understand the process can be frustrating and we appreciate your continued patience. You may include any updates of your application through the HWCOM Secondary Application portal."

Got the email. I have no idea how I feel about it. There's been some movement with people withdrawing that we've seen on this thread. Likewise, We only know about the 18th being a key day because one poster was able to get that information. I doubt FIU wanted everyone to know.

Either way I think it's pretty strange that they would send us such an email the day before the 18th. I'm just confused...

Got the email. I have no idea how I feel about it. There's been some movement with people withdrawing that we've seen on this thread. Likewise, We only know about the 18th being a key day because one poster was able to get that information. I doubt FIU wanted everyone to know.

Either way I think it's pretty strange that they would send us such an email the day before the 18th. I'm just confused...

Exactly. The previous poster said they where waiting till the 18th to see how many would be sticking around.If its the 17th and they send out that email it almost seems like they waited and have seen that more people are sticking around than not.

Im trying to remain positive, but it does seem bizarre they would send that the day before they intend to begin releasing names (If that is the case). I guess lets see what tomorrow brings!