2016-2017 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II, complete late July OOS
EDIT: FYI I've had the "preliminary review completed" status for like 2+ months.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
anyone know if this school makes you get a specific laptop/tablet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current M1 and would be happy to answer any questions from a student perspective. Send me a message or I can post on here.

Any M1's or M2's that can talk more about PBL, typical week here, and what they like and dislike the most? Recently accepted and heavily considering attending!

So we just finished our first semester which is known as "FBS". Lectures include a wide range of topics...Biochem, Immunology, Bacteria/Viruses, Embryology, Histology, Basic Pharmacology, etc. Anatomy lectures are included in FBS, but they have their own exams and are not on FBS exams.

Here's an "average" week:
FBS Lectures from 8-10 Mon-Thurs and 10-12 on Fri
PBL from 10-12 on Mon and Wed, 8-10 on Fri
Anatomy Lab from 10-12 on Tues
SCP on Thurs from 10-12 (basically covers random medical topics - ethics, research, statistics, etc)

Afternoon schedules vary, but mostly consists of FOM (Foundations of Medicine). You will have this class either Mon or Wed, and it usually goes from 1-3:30ish. Here, you are working with standardized patients and an instructor learning some sort of physical exam. Simulation Center classes get scheduled roughly every other week on the opposite day of your FOM day.

TL;DR: You're there 8-12 every day, and at least one afternoon a week, sometimes more.

PBL

PBL cases are small group activities (8 per group plus 1 faculty) and can be anywhere from 3-5 days long, and each case is one "patient." Basically, they give us nice little stories about someone's illness and we pretend to be the Docs treating them in real time. We also give quick 5 minute presentations for the first half of the session based on what we wanted to learn from the previous day.

So, example:

Day 1: Patient X comes in with chest pain, they give us patient history, vitals, lab work, etc etc. We come up with 8 topics we would like to learn about based on this information.
Day 2: We each give a 5 minute presentation based on 8 topics from Day 1, then move to the relevant Day 2 information. They will give us more information on the patient and we make 8 more topics to present about for Day 3.
Day 3: Present topics from Day 2, move to relevant Day 3 stuff, etc.

The 5 minute presentation thing is daunting at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, you can throw a presentation together in an hour or two.

A lot of times the PBL cases relate to what we are covering in FBS, so it's a nice reinforcement.

Also, a few times they gave us "application sessions" at the end of our PBL cases where they would bring in patients to tell their story and do a Q&A. So if we covered a specific type of cancer in the case, they would bring in someone that had the same diagnosis. All of these sessions were really neat.

Likes & Dislikes

1) In my opinion, the small class size is one of the nicest things about this program. We are one big family that has grown very close over the last 4 months.
2) Pass/Fail curriculum promotes a "help each other" attitude instead of a gunner mentality.
3) The faculty are VERY receptive to our opinions and readily implement changes based on our opinions.
4) The faculty is unbelievably supportive. A lot of them know all of our names and know us personally. If you are struggling or look like you've had a few bad days in a row, they will be on top of you immediately doing anything they can to help.
5) The location. Boca is a cool city, and Ft Lauderdale and Miami are close by. The beach is also about a 5 minute drive from campus.

Dislikes:
I really don't have any huge dislikes. Small things happen here and there that we like to complain about, but that's just part of Medical School, not FAU in particular. It seems like whenever we bring up complaints, the answer from staff is usually "We are aware of the problem, and we are already working to fix it."

Overall, I think all of us are very pleased with the program thus far and happy with our decision to attend here.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a current M1 and would be happy to answer any questions from a student perspective. Send me a message or I can post on here.

So we just finished our first semester which is known as "FBS". Lectures include a wide range of topics...Biochem, Immunology, Bacteria/Viruses, Embryology, Histology, Basic Pharmacology, etc. Anatomy lectures are included in FBS, but they have their own exams and are not on FBS exams.

Here's an "average" week:
FBS Lectures from 8-10 Mon-Thurs and 10-12 on Fri
PBL from 10-12 on Mon and Wed, 8-10 on Fri
Anatomy Lab from 10-12 on Tues
SCP on Thurs from 10-12 (basically covers random medical topics - ethics, research, statistics, etc)

Afternoon schedules vary, but mostly consists of FOM (Foundations of Medicine). You will have this class either Mon or Wed, and it usually goes from 1-3:30ish. Here, you are working with standardized patients and an instructor learning some sort of physical exam. Simulation Center classes get scheduled roughly every other week on the opposite day of your FOM day.

TL;DR: You're there 8-12 every day, and at least one afternoon a week, sometimes more.

PBL

PBL cases are small group activities (8 per group plus 1 faculty) and can be anywhere from 3-5 days long, and each case is one "patient." Basically, they give us nice little stories about someone's illness and we pretend to be the Docs treating them in real time. We also give quick 5 minute presentations for the first half of the session based on what we wanted to learn from the previous day.

So, example:

Day 1: Patient X comes in with chest pain, they give us patient history, vitals, lab work, etc etc. We come up with 8 topics we would like to learn about based on this information.
Day 2: We each give a 5 minute presentation based on 8 topics from Day 1, then move to the relevant Day 2 information. They will give us more information on the patient and we make 8 more topics to present about for Day 3.
Day 3: Present topics from Day 2, move to relevant Day 3 stuff, etc.

The 5 minute presentation thing is daunting at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, you can throw a presentation together in an hour or two.

A lot of times the PBL cases relate to what we are covering in FBS, so it's a nice reinforcement.

Also, a few times they gave us "application sessions" at the end of our PBL cases where they would bring in patients to tell their story and do a Q&A. So if we covered a specific type of cancer in the case, they would bring in someone that had the same diagnosis. All of these sessions were really neat.

Likes & Dislikes

1) In my opinion, the small class size is one of the nicest things about this program. We are one big family that has grown very close over the last 4 months.
2) Pass/Fail curriculum promotes a "help each other" attitude instead of a gunner mentality.
3) The faculty are VERY receptive to our opinions and readily implement changes based on our opinions.
4) The faculty is unbelievably supportive. A lot of them know all of our names and know us personally. If you are struggling or look like you've had a few bad days in a row, they will be on top of you immediately doing anything they can to help.
5) The location. Boca is a cool city, and Ft Lauderdale and Miami are close by. The beach is also about a 5 minute drive from campus.

Dislikes:
I really don't have any huge dislikes. Small things happen here and there that we like to complain about, but that's just part of Medical School, not FAU in particular. It seems like whenever we bring up complaints, the answer from staff is usually "We are aware of the problem, and we are already working to fix it."

Overall, I think all of us are very pleased with the program thus far and happy with our decision to attend here.
Thank you so much for this!!

Thank you for this! Does CESCOM have an internal ranking system? The pure P/F is certainly beneficial in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

anyone know how long it takes to go from secondary application completed to preliminary review complete?

i sent my secondary in late september and haven't received anything yet

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have an idea of when the office of admissions is going to be back from what I assume is holiday vacation? I contacted them last Week and still haven't heard back. I tried calling a couple times since then and got voicemail both times.

EDIT: NVM, just found the answer with some more googling. University offices are closed until the 2nd FYI to anyone who is wondering.

Reactions: 1 user
To those of you who submitted a Letter of Update/Interest via email, did you get a response?

EDIT: Admissions emailed me back and told me that you can only update via the portal, and they do not accept letters or transcripts.

Last edited:
I have my interview here a week from tomorrow and I'm super nervous/excited! I've looked at the webpage every day recently to know the program inside and out and it just adds to the excitement.

Still, with only 64 spots out of 4,000+ applications submitted, I know my chances are pretty slim, yet I think this school's diversity mission matches why I want to go into healthcare.

Good luck to everyone this year!

Also, anyone do the MD/PhD interview? I don't have confirmation from TSRI yet, but if I do get an interview, I would hope that it's the same or next day so I don't have to drive to Boca Raton again.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS here, interviewed a few weeks ago. From what I heard, they are very receptive to emails expressing your interest in the school (both pre- and post-I). Also, if it's any consolation, they aim to matriculate 75% IS and 25% OOS and schedule the I's accordingly (e.g., for a session of 12 interviewees, 9 would be IS and 3 would be OOS), independent of where the OOS applicants fall on their ranked list of potential interviewees. Plus they interview through March, so don't give up hope just yet!

I sent in a letter pre-II and recieved the following reply!

"All updates must be made on your secondary application. You have the ability to make 3 updates to this application. We cannot append any information to your electronic file and do not require transcripts at this time." I hope this helps anyone who was considering writing a letter of update/interest!

II! Complete mid-late August, non-trad, LizzyM~69-73. Non-URM, OOS with strong FL ties.

FWIW, sent in an update a few weeks back.

Declined my interview invite in light of an acceptance to a school higher on my list/closer to home. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have any insight on if OOSers can generally qualify for in state tuition after one year at FAU? I know at some places it's very easy to do while at others it's not possible. I've been looking online and can't really find any solid answers to this.

Anyone have any insight on if OOSers can generally qualify for in state tuition after one year at FAU? I know at some places it's very easy to do while at others it's not possible. I've been looking online and can't really find any solid answers to this.

Florida is typically a friendly state for this in general

How effective is a letter of intent post-interview in being accepted?

does anybody know when the scholarship essays are due?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have an idea of the post-I acceptance rate for OOS/ IS or at least total? Did they give numbers at the interview day? Please don't quote me the MSAR matriculants numbers haha

Make sure you guys call and check your status! My app was complete Sept. 2016 and I have been checking my status through the portal since. Every time it has just said "secondary application complete". So today I called and they can't find my application! She put me through to IT but no answer so I'm waiting for a call back. So angry right now.

wow. you should demand money back for the secondary fee. thats inexcusable.

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure you guys call and check your status! My app was complete Sept. 2016 and I have been checking my status through the portal since. Every time it has just said "secondary application complete". So today I called and they can't find my application! She put me through to IT but no answer so I'm waiting for a call back. So angry right now.

Jeez, let us know what happens.

I've had the same status - shudder to think if this was widespread.

Turned out that the lady I spoke to transferred me to undergraduate admissions rather than med admissions.... wow what a waste of an hour. At least it is not lost though haha

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for your status to change from "Preliminary Review in Progress" to "preliminary review completed?" Mine's been in progress for about two weeks now

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for your status to change from "Preliminary Review in Progress" to "preliminary review completed?" Mine's been in progress for about two weeks now

Not sure but I do know there is a committee meeting either today, tomorrow, or Friday. So hopefully your app will move along!

+1

Not sure but I do know there is a committee meeting either today, tomorrow, or Friday. So hopefully your app will move along!

I'm thinking the committee meeting happened today because I just checked my portal and it says this:

"Current Status: Admissions Committee Review Complete"

I'm thinking the committee meeting happened today because I just checked my portal and it says this:

"Current Status: Admissions Committee Review Complete"
Do you know how long yours was at the review in progress stage?

Edit: jk, you interviewed already right?

Any clue if I should continue being anxious about hearing back today, or if it's going to be tomorrow?

From what I gathered, if anyone gets accepted, they'll call on Friday followed by an email.

If you don't hear anything, check your portal at the end of the day to see if you were rejected or waitlisted. No news is not good news in this case.

I am still secondary application completed as well.
Florida Resident

Today's the day they should be calling if you interviewed around 1/10.
Good luck everyone!!

To anyone who has interviewed recently, did they mention anything about how close to full the class already is? Interviewing Tuesday.

Just checked my portal.
No phone call for me...

I'm on the alternate list.

Wondering who the lucky people are...

I'm hoping there's a lot of waitlist movement and that I'm not at the lower third.

My portal status has said "Preliminary Review in Progress" for almost 3 weeks now; has this happened to anyone else? Should I call admissions and ask about it?

Same. I feel like they should at least review us. Like why have us complete a secondary, write essays, and pay the fee if they're not even going to look at our file? That seems wrong.
If our portal says that, does that mean our application hasn't been reviewed yet?

I don't have any inside information, but if people are getting "reviewed" statuses, I'm assuming the absence of one means not reviewed.
If FAU never reviewed our secondary applications, I am assuming that WE will soon soon receive our corresponding refund ... It is just fair! My status never changed, and I called them on Friday. It is over; no more II will be given!

Last edited:
If FAU never reviewed our secondary applications, I am assuming that they will soon soon receive our corresponding refund ... It is just fair! My status never changed, and I called them on Friday. It is over; no more II will be given!
their website says: Formal interview days are scheduled on Mondays and Fridays (selected Tuesdays) between late August and March.
You think they gave out all the II for March already?

their website says: Formal interview days are scheduled on Mondays and Fridays (selected Tuesdays) between late August and March.
You think they gave out all the II for March already?
I interviewed a few weeks back, they said they would be done with interviews by February. They interviewed less applicants this year compared to last.

I know the admissions director won't tell us our position on the waitlist, but what about how many people have actually been accepted?

I was just wondering since they're almost done with interviews and if they haven't accepted enough to fill the class yet, we might see some waitlist movement.