2016-2017 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II 10/18! Presumably for MD/PhD but haven't heard anything from Scripps yet.

@zax Nice pic :p

Edit: Whoops, posted the wrong date! Actually received the II on 10/18, not yesterday.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed on 29th and my portal just changed to Ad Com Review Complete...anyone else? Or has anyone from that date heard news?

Reactions: 1 user
Holy cow. Accepted!!!! Oos interviewed 9/29!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted :) IS interviewed 9/29

Reactions: 5 users
I submitted my secondary on 9/23 and it finally says it's being reviewed a month later.

Word.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Two questions:

What is the MSAR data for 10th percentile and is it too late in the cycle to apply? I have not even begun my AMCAS, applied only to DO and got into some good schools. My MCAT is below 500 and that was essentially my only factor as to not applying to MDs and my sGPA is below average as well...

Thanks!

Status Update: Preliminary Review Completed.

"We have completed a preliminary review of your secondary application. You will receive an email if you are selected for an in person interview. Thank you."

I guess they passed on me for Interview Invite...

Good luck to everyone else!!

Two questions:

What is the MSAR data for 10th percentile and is it too late in the cycle to apply? I have not even begun my AMCAS, applied only to DO and got into some good schools. My MCAT is below 500 and that was essentially my only factor as to not applying to MDs and my sGPA is below average as well...

Thanks!
Applying MD versus DO just on those factors isnt always accurate. You have to apply based on the mission of the school. Some schools just don't fit your certain mission, so don't apply there. Depends on what you're going for.

If our status changed to "Preliminary Review Completed". Should we be getting an email immediately?... Or do we still have to play the waiting game??

If our status changed to "Preliminary Review Completed". Should we be getting an email immediately?... Or do we still have to play the waiting game??

The waiting game. I've had that status for a while now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, after reading all six pages on this thread, I decided to ask something (see below). I am in the process of completing the secondary for this school. I know that I am applying really late, but I was working full time (extremely broke) and needed to retake the MCAT, since I did horrible the first time around (498, took it a year ago). My stats are the following: 3.83s, 3.82c, 507 MCAT (128,125,128,126). Other things that also matter: many hours of shadowing, volunteerism, community service, paid research assistant position and all of that. Additionally, I served in the US Army (cavalry all the way). Anyone applying to this school, received an interview, an acceptance, or still waiting, do you think that I have a serious chance at this school?

I truly want to go to FAU, since I live 30 minutes away from campus. I also went to a small college, where I thoroughly experienced the benefits of a small size class. Since FAU promotes the small-class approach, I truly cherish the idea of attending this school. I also know people there. Please, I highly suggest that anyone attempting to send me bad vibes stays away. Thank You very much.

Good luck to everyone.

Interviewed in mid october, was told we would hear back by 11/10. however, if accepted, would be told by phone 11/9. status on the portal says "admissions committee review complete" .....has anyone heard anything yet? feeling discouraged

II 10/12 IS. ACCEPTED! So excited! Loved my experience at FAU, looking forward to meeting other students in the spring at second look.

I received a phone call and email this afternoon FYI. I didn't even realize I would be hearing today if accepted, I thought it would be tomorrow (11/10) either way.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed in mid october, was told we would hear back by 11/10. however, if accepted, would be told by phone 11/9. status on the portal says "admissions committee review complete" .....has anyone heard anything yet? feeling discouraged
I interviewed 10/18. My interview group was told we would receive a phone call 11/09 if we were accepted. I did not receive a call. So I decided to check the portal for the first time since interviewing and my status is "Not Accepted". I'm not sure if that's the same as Rejected or if it means not accepted at this time. If I had to guess, this is worse than your meaningless status. Just wanted to give you some hope! Best of luck!

This forum has been really quiet, has anyone received an interview invite recently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

How does the Alternate List work here? I know they express that it should only move after April 30, but I saw that last year some people were accepted as early as two weeks after they received their alternate status. Does this mean they consider alternates at every committee meeting?

How does the Alternate List work here? I know they express that it should only move after April 30, but I saw that last year some people were accepted as early as two weeks after they received their alternate status. Does this mean they consider alternates at every committee meeting?

Bump! :D

Im still secondary completed, and I submitted back in July. Should I call?

I'm still waiting on some IS love from FAU

I'm still waiting on some IS love from FAU
IS here, interviewed a few weeks ago. From what I heard, they are very receptive to emails expressing your interest in the school (both pre- and post-I). Also, if it's any consolation, they aim to matriculate 75% IS and 25% OOS and schedule the I's accordingly (e.g., for a session of 12 interviewees, 9 would be IS and 3 would be OOS), independent of where the OOS applicants fall on their ranked list of potential interviewees. Plus they interview through March, so don't give up hope just yet!

IS here, interviewed a few weeks ago. From what I heard, they are very receptive to emails expressing your interest in the school (both pre- and post-I). Also, if it's any consolation, they aim to matriculate 75% IS and 25% OOS and schedule the I's accordingly (e.g., for a session of 12 interviewees, 9 would be IS and 3 would be OOS), independent of where the OOS applicants fall on their ranked list of potential interviewees. Plus they interview through March, so don't give up hope just yet!

I will send them a letter then! Thank you!!

II! Complete mid-late August, non-trad, LizzyM~69-73. Non-URM, OOS with strong FL ties.

FWIW, sent in an update a few weeks back.

Last edited:
I wish I had something to update all of these schools with! Mine would be like, yeah im sitting here in my gap year drinking coffee at 12 pm.. changing the world in my pj's. But all jokes aside, what do you even say in these letters of interest, or would it even be a good idea to send one if having nothing new to update.

How does one go about this? Just by emailing the admissions dept?

I wish I had something to update all of these schools with! Mine would be like, yeah im sitting here in my gap year drinking coffee at 12 pm.. changing the world in my pj's. But all jokes aside, what do you even say in these letters of interest, or would it even be a good idea to send one if having nothing new to update.

I had a few solid updates on things I've done since applying over the summer -- don't want to divulge too much for anonymity's sake. From what I've heard, it's not a good idea to send one unless you have something substantive to add.

II received on Wednesday and scheduled for January 10th.
LizzyM score of ~65.
IS.
URM.
I was complete 9/22.

I tried reading previous posts and may have missed it, but how were the interviews?

Thanks and good luck to those waiting for an interview or acceptance!

LizzyM score of ~65.
IS.
URM.
I was complete 9/22.

I tried reading previous posts and may have missed it, but how were the interviews?

See you there! :)

LizzyM score of ~65.
IS.
URM.
I was complete 9/22.

Mine weren't bad at all! Just be yourself for the traditional interview, my interviewer knew my app very well and just asked me to expand on some aspects of it. Very conversational and friendly. For the behavioral interview don't stress too much, they just want to see how you would act in certain ethical dilemmas. Good luck!

Any M1's or M2's that can talk more about PBL, typical week here, and what they like and dislike the most? Recently accepted and heavily considering attending!

Mine weren't bad at all! Just be yourself for the traditional interview, my interviewer knew my app very well and just asked me to expand on some aspects of it. Very conversational and friendly. For the behavioral interview don't stress too much, they just want to see how you would act in certain ethical dilemmas. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the input!

How does one go about this? Just by emailing the admissions dept?
Email is best for an interest letter, phone call if you just want to check the status of your app and ask for info regarding upcoming dates of committee meetings and such. I agree with @NonTradWarrior that you should only send an update letter if you have something substantial to add to your application (significant clinical experiences, recent publications, additional LORs, test scores, etc.), but anyone can send an interest letter! I've always felt that a combination update/interest letter is most effective, especially pre-interview when you may not have much to update them on, but you still want to express your continued interest in the school. It might be just the thing to rescue your application from ad com limbo! Just remember to keep it short (1 page or less) and to the point; anything longer and you risk boring the ad com readers.

Email is best for an interest letter, phone call if you just want to check the status of your app and ask for info regarding upcoming dates of committee meetings and such. I agree with @NonTradWarrior that you should only send an update letter if you have something substantial to add to your application (significant clinical experiences, recent publications, additional LORs, test scores, etc.), but anyone can send an interest letter! I've always felt that a combination update/interest letter is most effective, especially pre-interview when you may not have much to update them on, but you still want to express your continued interest in the school. It might be just the thing to rescue your application from ad com limbo! Just remember to keep it short (1 page or less) and to the point; anything longer and you risk boring the ad com readers.

Thank you! I emailed today regarding an additional letter of rec I submitted. Fingers crossed :boom:

Accepted!!

Reactions: 6 users

Shoot, I actually wrote a letter of update/interest and went to upload it on my portal, only to see that an update was limited to 500 characters or less. So I used a couple sentences from my letter and submitted it.

Would it be a good idea to email my letter to admissions? I wish I would have read this thread before!

It was via email, yes. And my portal had changed yesterday from the committee is reviewing your app status to a decision was made you will be contacted via email if invited for an interview status. (Along those lines) so I was surprised when I got the email today. I was assuming I was out of the running or put on hold. Submitted early September.

Shoot, I actually wrote a letter of update/interest and went to upload it on my portal, only to see that an update was limited to 500 characters or less. So I used a couple sentences from my letter and submitted it.

Would it be a good idea to email my letter to admissions? I wish I would have read this thread before!

I would send them an email. Can't hurt to let them know you're still interested!

are there any current students here that I could ask a few questions to?

I have had the "review complete we will email you for an interview if selected.." For about a month now. Is it a lost cause? Really wanted to get this school, IS LizzyM 71. Will an email or call help my chances??

At least you've been reviewed. I was complete in August with stats right around their matriculant averages and haven't changed from "secondary application complete"

Reactions: 3 users
I have had the "review complete we will email you for an interview if selected.." For about a month now. Is it a lost cause? Really wanted to get this school, IS LizzyM 71. Will an email or call help my chances??

Do you have "preliminary review" or just "review"?

I had that for like months. Received an II recently. FWIW, I did send an update.