2016-2017 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

How much of the class is accepted off of the alternate list? When will there be more alternate list movement?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you mean for the 2016 or 2017 cycle?

I vaguely remember learning at my interview that like 270 out of 300 interviewees were eventually granted admission. So they are probably going to offer some substantial WL movement

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean for the 2016 or 2017 cycle?

I vaguely remember learning at my interview that like 270 out of 300 interviewees were eventually granted admission. So they are probably going to offer some substantial WL movement

I am referring to the current cycle, 2015-2016. I am on the alternate list for the class starting August 2016. Also, there are only 64 seats in Florida Atlantic University's COM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're in the wrong thread, this is for the 2017 cycle.

Here's 2015-2016:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...niversity-schmidt-application-thread.1134979/

Also while FAU seats 64 they accept many more than that because not everyone they accept will attend. If you look back in the folder they gave you on interview day you'll see that (I may be slightly off on the exact numbers) ~270 out of 300 interviewees are at some point offered an acceptance.

Also for anyone in 2016-2017, FAU is awesome and one of the friendliest and nicest med schools around. One of the few places that I feel like really lives up to the phrase "cares about their students"

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
I'm a third year medical student at FAU on my second week of rotations. Its unbelievable how two years passed by and Step 1 is finally over. I want to share some insights with everyone applying. CESCOM is an amazing school. We used to be a satellite campus for UM med but became independent five years ago. The class is amazingly small consisting of 64 students. My classmates are my family, we help each other with our studies and the horror stories of gunners and students sabotaging other students do not exist here. The committee does a really good job of selecting students that bond well with each other and we are taught to work in a team based fashion from day 1. Everyone tries to help each other and we are only competitive to better ourselves. I can truly say this about my class. The faculties are awesome. Trust me. Course directors know our names and our mentors help us in any capacities. I wanted to do ER shadowing for my M1 summer and my mentor set it up right away. Additionally, I asked 3 professors for letters of recommendation for a scholarship and they all said yes, wrote it immediately and cared deeply about how it went.

This is not to say that there's aren't flaws. Anatomy dissections could be a little better because we can only fit half the class in dissection at a time so you don't get a full dissection experience. However, most medical schools are moving away from the cadaver experience so I'm unsure how you may feel about this. Additionally, we don't have a dedicated medical library, so it can be tough to study, but we do have two rooms dedicated to silent study space. The curriculum is pretty good since we have a system based approach from day one. The faculties really listen to the students and continuously try to improve the curriculum by adding or subtracting different aspects to our experience such as: better presentation skills, write ups, problem based learning or less assignments in third year. We recent added some amazing professors! You will love them.

I've been procrastinating long enough now, I should get back to my studies lol. If you have a question shoot me an email and I'll try my best to answer it: [email protected]
This is only from a student stand point, you will probably get more information from the staff. I wish you all the best this cycle, its going to be stressful but just think about that first patient encounter you will have next year. It will all be worth it. Best of luck

Reactions: 8 users
Still debating fi I want to apply here because I hear they are more likely to select out of state students. Is this true?

Still debating fi I want to apply here because I hear they are more likely to select out of state students. Is this true?
From what I see 15 out of 64 matriculants were OOS, so I'd say if you're a FL resident it is worth applying :)

Reactions: 1 user
anyone received the secondary yet? This is the only school I have not received yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it even worth applying here with an MCAT under 510?

hey all, just was wondering if it is worth applying as an OOS with family ties to FL. I have a 3.94 GPA and a 506 MCAT (128,123,128,127) I know my score is lower, but that is due to the beloved reading section, other than that my section scores were fairly solid. curious to see what ppl think. do I have a shot?

hey all, just was wondering if it is worth applying as an OOS with family ties to FL. I have a 3.94 GPA and a 506 MCAT (128,123,128,127) I know my score is lower, but that is due to the beloved reading section, other than that my section scores were fairly solid. curious to see what ppl think. do I have a shot?

I think we are stat twins :eek: (GPA + composite, not subsections). OOS as well with pretty significant ties to FL. I guess we'll both see, good luck!!!

is a 510 their average?
According to MSAR (I realize that this is the applicants and not the matriculants),

the average MCAT is 501. So I don't see how applying with less than a 510 is bad. Especially if applicant has Florida ties and a good GPA.

Last edited:
1.Tell us about your most meaningful community service experience. (not related to patient care if none, please write none)
2.Tell us about your most meaningful employment experience. (not related to patient care, if none, please write none)
3.Tell us about your most meaningful leadership experience. (if none, please write none)
4.Tell us about any creative endeavors you participate(d) in. (e.g., art, dance, music, etc if none, please write none)
5.Describe a situation in which you interacted with a culturally diverse group. (if none, please write none)

1.Tell us about your most meaningful community service experience. (not related to patient care if none, please write none)
2.Tell us about your most meaningful employment experience. (not related to patient care, if none, please write none)
3.Tell us about your most meaningful leadership experience. (if none, please write none)
4.Tell us about any creative endeavors you participate(d) in. (e.g., art, dance, music, etc if none, please write none)
5.Describe a situation in which you interacted with a culturally diverse group. (if none, please write none)

When one experience fits 3 of those categories, but you can't write about the same thing for all of them :beat:

what are the word/character limits?

I know that this is very premature since I just received the secondary yesterday… But does anyone know when they generally start sending out their first II?

Is anyone else having an issue with courses not showing up on the Prereqs page of the secondary?

Does FAU screen primaries. Now that some people are getting their secondaries, if I have not received a secondary yet, does this mean I am already denied?

Does FAU screen primaries. Now that some people are getting their secondaries, if I have not received a secondary yet, does this mean I am already denied?
The MSAR reports that FAU sends secondaries to all US citizens and permanent residents with a verified AMCAS, except those with felonies.

Secondary received and submitted! Let the waiting begin. FYI the essay's have a 1200 character with spaces limit for those pre-writing

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, so I am currently finishing up my essays for FAU. And I didn't realize that there was a 1200 character limit and I have far surpassed this. However, when I save and continue, it doesn't say that I need to go back and limit my characters. Is it possible that it may have a higher character limit then?

Hey guys, so I am currently finishing up my essays for FAU. And I didn't realize that there was a 1200 character limit and I have far surpassed this. However, when I save and continue, it doesn't say that I need to go back and limit my characters. Is it possible that it may have a higher character limit then?

It said on the first page that there was a 1200 character limit for the first question, so I just assumed that's how it was for all of them.

Secondary received and submitted! Good luck everyone!

Didn't seem like there was a word count for the 5 prompts, also felt weird to have to write "none" for an essay... Did anyone get a confirmation email for their secondary being completed and LORs received? The portal doesn't seem to tell you they have your letters like most school's

Didn't seem like there was a word count for the 5 prompts, also felt weird to have to write "none" for an essay... Did anyone get a confirmation email for their secondary being completed and LORs received? The portal doesn't seem to tell you they have your letters like most school's

You actually wrote none for one of them?? Also, I didn't get a confirmation email either.

Still no secondary :(

Were you guys verified before 7/15?

Ah. Seems like they are going in order of verification then. I'm sure we will get ours soon!
I was verified and transmitted day 1 and haven't received anything. So I don't think that's the case.