2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry do you guys mind answering when yo got interviewed, i want to know if they really ever do go back to previous months
I interviewed 1/6/17 :\
When in January did you interview? If it was only in the past week or so maybe they haven't gotten to your cohort yet? Regardless, if you're passed over once you're automatically considered for February and March anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed 1/6/17 :\
When in January did you interview? If it was only in the past week or so maybe they haven't gotten to your cohort yet? Regardless, if you're passed over once you're automatically considered for February and March anyway.
1/6 lolz same day but congrats

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of someone getting the "Admission Offer" tab and not actually getting the offer via letter? Because this is my first/only acceptance and my heart can't take this being taken away from me.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard of someone getting the "Admission Offer" tab and not actually getting the offer via letter? Because this is my first/only acceptance and my heart can't take this being taken away from me.

Congratulations! I haven't heard of that before, but if it puts you at ease, I got the official acceptance letter in the mail the next day so be on the lookout.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! I haven't heard of that before, but if it puts you at ease, I got the official acceptance letter in the mail the next day so be on the lookout.

Thank you! Really appreciate it. Maybe see you next year!

Is there anyone on here that was passed over on the first review but were later accepted?

Interviewed in November, passed over twice now. I'm guessing the chances aren't good :(
Is there anyone on here that was passed over on the first review but were later accepted?
Hey hold hope! my friends fiancé was skipped over from September and got accepted in January Last year. Expect the worst but don't think its over seriously.

I have it written down somewhere that Emory does a group interview and a one on one interview. Is that true? And if so how did everyone's group ones go? Nervous about it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I have it written down somewhere that Emory does a group interview and a one on one interview. Is that true? And if so how did everyone's group ones go? Nervous about it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
The group interview is kind of interesting. My group interview consisted of me along with two others being interviewed by two faculty members and one 4th year student. It may vary by interviewers, but for mine they basically just went one by one and each asked us a question (interviewer A would ask interviewee 1 question X, then ask the same question to interviewee 2 and 3; next interviewer B would ask a question etc.). I was suprised they never really took advantage of the group dynamics (e.g. Ask us to respond to something/discuss with the other interviewees) as they did at another school that does group interviews that I interviewed at. It was essentially just you being interviewed by 3 people, with two other interviewees watching, and then you watching their interviews. Very low stress, similar to any other interview you might have.

Does Emory actively reject applicants or do they wait till the end of the cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get a letter yet?
I just got my letter this morning, and I live in the Mid-Atlantic, if that helps anyone gauge if they live further/closer to Atlanta. Also the letter specifies that Jan 31 at noon accepted students would see in their portal the conditions for acceptance and could reserve their spot, so for future decision dates it's probably similar (portal updates day after at noon). Good luck to everyone still waiting! I wish you the best of luck, and keep up hope! There are two more dates left, and my host stressed that people do definitely come off the waitlist!

I just got my letter this morning, and I live in the Mid-Atlantic, if that helps anyone gauge if they live further/closer to Atlanta. Also the letter specifies that Jan 31 at noon accepted students would see in their portal the conditions for acceptance and could reserve their spot, so for future decision dates it's probably similar (portal updates day after at noon). Good luck to everyone still waiting! I wish you the best of luck, and keep up hope! There are two more dates left, and my host stressed that people do definitely come off the waitlist!
Ah, thank you! I started worrying that my portal change was a mistake. I'm out in California so hopefully mine is on it's way!

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but when does Emory usually stop sending out IIs?

if you read the admissions website FAQ's, it says that II's can be extended at anytime during the interview season, which runs through feb (not sure if this means that invitations can go out until the end of feb or not... maybe until mid feb, or a last minute II with cancellations?)... who knows honestly

if you read the admissions website FAQ's, it says that II's can be extended at anytime during the interview season, which runs through feb (not sure if this means that invitations can go out until the end of feb or not... maybe until mid feb, or a last minute II with cancellations?)... who knows honestly

Thanks so much!

Will my chance of acceptance increase if I am rooting for the falcons right now?

Reactions: 11 users
FAFSA email again....

Reactions: 14 users
I have an interview this Friday (2/10) and I am wondering what to expect. Does anyone who has already interviewed have any tips about what to expect or how to prepare? Also should I update with my grades from last semester if I did extremely well (I took microbiology and a few other bios)? If so what format should I update in since the update is text only? Thanks in advance for your help :D

I will gladly submit my financial aid apps once I gladly receive my II.;)

Reactions: 8 users
I have an interview this Friday (2/10) and I am wondering what to expect. Does anyone who has already interviewed have any tips about what to expect or how to prepare? Also should I update with my grades from last semester if I did extremely well (I took microbiology and a few other bios)? If so what format should I update in since the update is text only? Thanks in advance for your help :D
Help would be much appreciated!!

Help would be much appreciated!!
There is an individual interview (30-45ish minutes) and a group interview (you and two other interviewees, and 3 interviewers, 30-45ish minutes). If you look back a couple pages, I made a comment about the group interview. In brief, it's really just a "group" interview, because they don't ask you to interact with the other interviewees and basically just ask each of you a question and you take turns answering, although that might have just been my experience. The individual interview is pretty standard. For both interviews, the interviewers have only seen your personal statement (and they might know your hometown and school? I can't remember). After the interview, you'll step out and they'll take a quick glance over the rest of your interview file and if anything stands out that they have a question about, they would ask you back in to ask you a question about it (individually). For what it's worth, in my group interview no one was asked back in for a question about their interview, so I think it's only for huge red flags.

Overall the interview day is pretty low stress. Half of the group will go in the morning, half will go in the afternoon. The half of the day you're not interviewing, you'll be taking a tour of the med school, Emory University Hospital, and then will take a bus over to Grady Memorial Hospital in downtown Atlanta to tour.

The admissions office staff are extremely nice, friendly, and helpful! There was a snafu with the bus to Grady the day I interviewed, so one of the admissions staff members actually drove a group of interviewers there!

Is it too late to hope for an II at this point?

II -- excited to visit Atlanta!

Reactions: 4 users
Last two weeks of February. Sorry didn't look too closely.

Has anyone who's been accepted (and also accepted Emory's offer of admission) received an admissions packet or any further information about when 2nd look or housing weekends might be?

If you like artery clogging fast food dogs and hamburgers The Varsity is the local famous place.

The Varsity is so good that my fiance and I went there twice when we visited ATL. We also splurged on the Sun Dial restaurant while we were there. It was the most we had ever spent in a restaurant, but the view was incredible and the food was too.

Does anyone know when second look is?

Patiently waiting here since July for a II.
Not looking too promising if February is the last month for II's:(.

Emory undergrad here (withdrew application b/c accepted elsewhere). If you have any questions about Emory (housing, Atlanta, campus, etc), lemme know!

Are we supposed to get an acceptance packet also with something to sign and return, or just that one letter?

Withdrew, hope that II goes to you!