2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What makes you so sure?
Because it's only May 10. The chances of 100% of the people offered spots accepting the offer in the initial batch are pretty slim... You also will most definitely still have some people withdrawing their acceptances when they get off WLs at other schools. There will definitely be more than just one batch of movement. How much shows up on SDN, I don't know.

Reactions: 2 users
What makes you so sure?
Because it's only May 10. The chances of 100% of the people offered spots accepting the offer in the initial batch are pretty slim... You also will most definitely still have some people withdrawing their acceptances when they get off WLs at other schools. There will definitely be more than just one batch of movement. How much shows up on SDN, I don't know.

^ and @rukia013 and I have both said on more than one occasion that we know people who were accepted off the waitlist in late May/June! One of our friends was even accepted the week or so before school started, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ and @rukia013 and I have both said on more than one occasion that we know people who were accepted off the waitlist in late May/June! One of our friends was even accepted the week or so before school started, I believe.
Thanks @mcatjelly and @rukia013, sorry for all of the questions/nervous venting. I think I speak for everyone on this thread when I say that your input is very much welcomed and appreciated

Reactions: 3 users
Is it me or does it seem awfully quiet here..? I was expecting a little more movement by now. Has anybody heard since May 2?

Reactions: 1 users
Is it me or does it seem awfully quiet here..? I was expecting a little more movement by now. Has anybody heard since May 2?
It could be that the movement is happening to non-SDN members since you have to keep in mind that SDN represents a very small % of applicants, and even then, there are SDNers who only lurk. Since it is post-traffic day, almost all movement will depend on whether a current matriculant gets poached by a more "desirable" school and therefore gives up their seat to someone on the waitlist aka if you're on the waitlist, your only hope is that someone currently planning to go here will get accepted off the waitlist of another school that they'd rather go to.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got the email! Was in the top 1/3 of the WL, OOS. Good luck everyone still waiting!

We too! OOS Male!

I owe you lunch for a week Rukia!!!!!

Just got the continued interest waitlist email

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the continued interest waitlist email
+1 is that the email everyone is referring to? I need to know asap if I'm getting accepted here since I'll have a tough decision to make..

+1 is that the email everyone is referring to? I need to know asap if I'm getting accepted here since I'll have a tough decision to make..
It's just confirming that the people on the waitlist are still interested, it's not an acceptance. At this point they are just making sure they don't extend future acceptances to people already sure they are going somewhere else.

It's just confirming that the people on the waitlist are still interested, it's not an acceptance. At this point they are just making sure they don't accept future acceptances to people already sure they are going somewhere else.
Did everyone on the wl get the email? Some schools also send the confirming you're still interested email before they grant acceptances. I had another school ask me for confirmation I was interested before offering a spot.

Did everyone on the wl get the email? Some schools also send the confirming you're still interested email before they grant acceptances. I had another school ask me for confirmation I was interested before offering a spot.
Based on previous years threads, everyone got it. However if it was preceding an acceptance I wouldn't be mad....

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Mine was an admit offer. Sounds like they know it will be very slow moving forward with the WL email.

Did anyone else get rubbed the wrong way during their interview day when the dean of admissions was trying to convince us that EVMS was the best school in Virginia? It's clearly not and that's OKAY, it just seemed super sleazy...

He was a little goofy but I never got the feeling it was different from the message you'd get at any other non-flagship school. I interviewed at VTC 4 years ago and it was very similar in tone (i.e. "Actually we're getting better test scores than UVA!").

For me it was the only low-tier school I interviewed at that tried to advertise itself as something it is not. I'm sure its not everyone there just the dean of admissions (or the assistant, I think)

I never got the impression that they were trying to be something that they're not. During my interview and preview weekend, they stressed that their main focus is primary care in Hampton Roads. They emphasized the ultrasound lab, standardized patients, and the student clinic. The only thing said about any other school was that EVMS has a higher Step 1 than UVA and VCU.

What did they say during your interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted yesterday off the WL, IS female. First acceptance, so very excited as this was my top choice! My heart goes out to everyone still on the WL. If it is meant to be this year, it will happen. Just keep working on improving yourself and your application. And try to enjoy the small things in life, despite all the overwhelming obstacles.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted yesterday off the WL, IS female. First acceptance, so very excited as this was my top choice! My heart goes out to everyone still on the WL. If it is meant to be this year, it will happen. Just keep working on improving yourself and your application. And try to enjoy the small things in life, despite all the overwhelming obstacles.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing if you sent any updates or additional letters of recommendations?

Does anyone know if we can expect any more movement here? I called two weeks ago and they said there would be some movement but now that it's the end of may I was wondering if things have slowed down a lot.

Does anyone know if we can expect any more movement here? I called two weeks ago and they said there would be some movement but now that it's the end of may I was wondering if things have slowed down a lot.

My guess would be there's only a handful more spots they're going to offer. Looks like the last "big" movement was Monday.

I called today and asked about out of state movement. They said there hasn't been much recently but that doesn't mean there won't be more in the future.

I called today and asked about out of state movement. They said there hasn't been much recently but that doesn't mean there won't be more in the future.
Yeah, I was told the same. They said that the dean and some admissions office personnel were out on vacation this week since there was little movement. But they said that they expect some movement soon...

Yeah, I was told the same. They said that the dean and some admissions office personnel were out on vacation this week since there was little movement. But they said that they expect some movement soon...
is that for OOS or both IS and OOS ?

is that for OOS or both IS and OOS ?
I only asked about OOS, but the way they answered made it seem like there was no movement for IS or OOS. However, I would call them and ask about IS movement just to be sure.

I called today to ask about waitlist movement for IS. I was told that there probably would be a little movement this month, but they aren't sure when just because it depends on withdrawals. Not sure how hopeful I am though :/

Has anybody asked how many people are remaining on the WL?

Called today. I was told the waitlist is around 300 people. I didn't ask specifics about in-state vs. out of state.

Acceptance withdrawn just now, IS. Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anybody from the mid 1/3 been accepted yet? I'm in the top 1/3 waitlist and wondering how far down they have made it through the waitlist.... And if any OOS withdrawals happen, please let us know! :)

Can somebody explain why it is so hard to obtain in-state status at EVMS? If you change your voter registration and register your car and mark yourself as an independent, why can you not obtain in-state?

Can we expect any more waitlist movement this late?

I saw in last year's thread there were a few more acceptances around the last week in June... such a tough call trying to decide to withdraw from the waitlist or not at this point.

Can somebody explain why it is so hard to obtain in-state status at EVMS? If you change your voter registration and register your car and mark yourself as an independent, why can you not obtain in-state?
There are a number of med schools that do not allow an OOS student to switch to IS status and while I do not have the clear cut answer, it could be due to the school's accreditation requirements to have x number of OOS vs. IS or the state government imposing certain residency rules. For example, there is at least one state I can think of off the top of my head that does not allow you to switch to IS residency if your occupation is 'student' or you do not have full-time employment in that state. That's just how it is, and it's not necessarily the school's fault but rather what the government deems as eligible for IS residency.

Can we expect any more waitlist movement this late?
Waitlist movement at any school can potentially carry through until the white coat ceremony/first day of class because at this point of the cycle it depends on whether poaching is happening. The last person admitted off the waitlist for my class came off 2 weeks before the white coat ceremony (late July/early August).

However, if you currently do not have any acceptances at this point, I would strongly recommend that you start considering plan B, whether that be reapplying for this upcoming cycle, taking a year off to bolster your resume, etc.

To those of you who have been accepted off the waitlist recently, did you have trouble logging into VisualZen for class registration? How long did it take for you to receive the background check forms? I asked the admissions office about these two things a few days ago, but haven't heard back. I feel like I've been asking them too many questions so don't want to bother them if these things just take a week or two.

Congratulations! May I ask when you were accepted?

To those of you who have been accepted off the waitlist recently, did you have trouble logging into VisualZen for class registration? How long did it take for you to receive the background check forms? I asked the admissions office about these two things a few days ago, but haven't heard back. I feel like I've been asking them too many questions so don't want to bother them if these things just take a week or two.

Who did you talk to in admissions? I'd recommend emailing Kerry. She's really great about responding within a few hours.

Would you mind sharing your stats and IS/OOS?

I'm OOS and was accepted a few weeks ago in June. I can pm you my stats. Good luck!!! I hope everything works out.
Congratulations! I literally cannot imagine how that feels ;) could you PM me your stats when convenient (like if you get bored with the whole post-world series win champagne bathing type thing, because that's definitely what you've been doing since your acceptance right?)

Are there were any IS or OOS people who were complete at EVMS in mid-September/October? Can I ask a question thru PM?

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I was wondering if there were any IS or OOS people who were complete at EVMS in mid-September/October...can I PM you?

IS and was complete second week of September, if that counts?

Can any current students (or better informed incoming MS1s than myself) answer the following:

-Is dress code casual for lectures?
-Am I correct in my understanding that attendance is not required for lecture- only mandatory for group learning/standardized patients/guest lecturer etc.? Also, I think I remember my tour guide saying that you can pay for lecture notes from a scribe service or something like that or am I completely wrong?
-When do we get a book list/start buying books? Where do we get them (can we find them cheaper on Amazon and should I start looking now?)

Lastly, I wasn't able to go to 2nd look so I missed the session on the research opportunities. Just wondering if they shared how students can go about getting involved?

Thanks!