2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is awesome--congrats!. About how long after you got your discover drexel account did you notice the award?
Maybe a month

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students that live near campus willing to host someone for an interview?

Got an interview today. Even worth going?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview today. Even worth going?

If there is a chance you would choose this school over your current choice, then yes, you should go!

Overall, I did really like the school, although I felt the interview day could have been a little more personal (ex: they showed us a video of one of the deans). Seems like the school may not be able to fully support the large class size (I heard there is a lottery system for the medical Spanish course as well as for student clinic participation). I also think the location has its pros and cons; safe in the sense that it is a quiet place outside the city, but for that reason far from hospitals/medical centers, which to me, is less desirable than a school on a medical campus.

Comments from current students are welcome :)

Week 8 post interview (2/6/17). I called the admissions office to ask about my status, and the guy told me the committee would probably be making a decision tomorrow what the heck!!! Apparently they meet every Thursday. Wondering why they keep my application around for 2 months without looking at it after my interview tbh. Praying I get my first acceptance out of this, or it's 5/5 waitlists for me :< I'm honestly so discouraged I'm expecting another WL, man this cycle has been tough.

I don't know if the admin at Drexel been reading SDN and see the bad press they been getting for realising their financial aid info after April 30th. But after several conversation with the financial aid telling me I won't know anything until I commit to drexel post APRIL 30th I was surprised that they emailed me a link to a portal in which they offered a scholarship. They money offered isn't anything to write him about when factoring the COA

Waitlisted yesterday and withdrew, interviewed 2/13. Good luck to those waiting!

for those accepted, is there a grade minimum requirement to keep the acceptance? or do you just have to pass and graduate?

Week 8 post interview (2/6/17). I called the admissions office to ask about my status, and the guy told me the committee would probably be making a decision tomorrow what the heck!!! Apparently they meet every Thursday. Wondering why they keep my application around for 2 months without looking at it after my interview tbh. Praying I get my first acceptance out of this, or it's 5/5 waitlists for me :< I'm honestly so discouraged I'm expecting another WL, man this cycle has been tough.

Best of luck! Though if they're meeting to make a decision tomorrow, I think it's more realistic that you'll hear from them next week.
I'm sure the school didn't just leave your application in file for 2 months and then decided to pull it up now... it most likely went through a couple reviewers to evaluate different parts of your app before submitting your file to the committee for the final decision. That and Drexel has to process through a lot of applications, so they're probably still swimming in them right now :(

for those accepted, is there a grade minimum requirement to keep the acceptance? or do you just have to pass and graduate?

Just gotta pass. But if you're waitlisted and you want to update Drexel on your latest progress, I would imagine you'd want to be able to tell them that you have good grades, right? :p

If there is a chance you would choose this school over your current choice, then yes, you should go!

Overall, I did really like the school, although I felt the interview day could have been a little more personal (ex: they showed us a video of one of the deans). Seems like the school may not be able to fully support the large class size (I heard there is a lottery system for the medical Spanish course as well as for student clinic participation). I also think the location has its pros and cons; safe in the sense that it is a quiet place outside the city, but for that reason far from hospitals/medical centers, which to me, is less desirable than a school on a medical campus.

Comments from current students are welcome :)

I don't really consider 15 minutes "far" but to each his own I guess. Clerkships are really spread out everywhere, so once you know where you're going toward the end of second year, you can choose to move to Center City to be closer to Hahnemann. Heck, plenty of my classmates live there now. This year, we only had to go to HUH a handful of times (5 times I think?) so it really wasn't a huge deal and the shuttle drops you off right there.

Medical spanish I think had a max of 20 students IIRC and it is open to both first and second years. So, class size really has nothing to do with it as I am pretty sure any med school would face a similar issue. It's just an elective that meets weekly.

As for the dean video thing, yeah it sucks that it feels impersonal that they don't meet every group, but of my interviews last year, it was a pretty even split of those that came to greet interviewees vs those that don't. Jefferson has a similar class size and managed to do it, but that's neither here nor there since they're a different school.

The society system they have in place makes it feel a bit smaller and there will be six next year instead of four, so it will get even smaller and more personal from that aspect. Even the faculty is divided into the societies so it helps make a large class feel much smaller.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if the admin at Drexel been reading SDN and see the bad press they been getting for realising their financial aid info after April 30th. But after several conversation with the financial aid telling me I won't know anything until I commit to drexel post APRIL 30th I was surprised that they emailed me a link to a portal in which they offered a scholarship. They money offered isn't anything to write him about when factoring the COA

Hey you're lucky you got a scholarship, so congrats! Yeah, the late financial aid drove me nuts and I didn't get my package finalized until like...July. But they totally messed mine up and it took forever to fix.

When I called them they told me I'd have it before April 30th. Now I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called them they told me I'd have it before April 30th. Now I'm confused.
I can show u the emails of them saying otherwise I'f you want proof. But the fact is that they are giving them before April 30th

I can show u the emails of them saying otherwise I'f you want proof. But the fact is that they are giving them before April 30th
I believe you. I'm just confused why they would tell me it would be out before then if it won't be. Although when I called, the lady on the phone did tell me that financial aid decisions had already been released. When I told her they weren't, she told me it was because I was using the wrong internet browser (lol). It wasn't until I asked her to check that she realized that they hadn't been released yet. So I guess I shouldnt be surprised that she told me the wrong information.

I believe you. I'm just confused why they would tell me it would be out before then if it won't be. Although when I called, the lady on the phone did tell me that financial aid decisions had already been released. When I told her they weren't, she told me it was because I was using the wrong internet browser (lol). It wasn't until I asked her to check that she realized that they hadn't been released yet. So I guess I shouldnt be surprised that she told me the wrong information.
Well they have been released now so they were telling you the truth. So maybe check back later today or they are doing it in waves or depending on when you got accepted

Well they have been released now so they were telling you the truth. So maybe check back later today or they are doing it in waves or depending on when you got accepted
Did you get an email saying it was completed? Theres some info on my account but not up to the full cost of attendance

Did you get an email saying it was completed? Theres some info on my account but not up to the full cost of attendance
I got a link to complete the financial aid information a couple of weeks ago which I ignore because I thought I wouldn't hear back until after April 30th then I got another email saying my award has been posted to my account. I'm at work now so can't talk much. Will hit you up later to see what's going on.

There was a package on mine as well that does not add up to full COA. I called and was told we have to apply for Grad PLUS loans (or private loans) to make up the rest but the application doesn't open until May 1st. So that's where the rest will come from! Phew.

Yeah, I also got a fin aid package that does not add up to the full COA. I got awarded federal work study, which I think is silly since I doubt I will time to work during MSI. Current students, do you or any classmates take advantage of Fed work study? Is it more like "sit and study" jobs around DUCOM or actual work?

Did anyone else get a school based scholarship? ?

There was a package on mine as well that does not add up to full COA. I called and was told we have to apply for Grad PLUS loans (or private loans) to make up the rest but the application doesn't open until May 1st. So that's where the rest will come from! Phew.
Thanks for calling!

Yeah, I also got a fin aid package that does not add up to the full COA. I got awarded federal work study, which I think is silly since I doubt I will time to work during MSI. Current students, do you or any classmates take advantage of Fed work study? Is it more like "sit and study" jobs around DUCOM or actual work?

Yup. There are a couple front desk jobs at offices where people hardly visit, so my friends who work at those places usually just study at work (or watch Netflix) unless someone comes knocking lol

For those of you that got a scholarship, do you know what the scholarship is based on? Is it financial status of students or parents?

For those of you that got a scholarship, do you know what the scholarship is based on? Is it financial status of students or parents?
It is always based on parents. For every school

With the new curriculum, what would a typical day look like? Someone posted a schedule of blocks 1-3 a few pages back. It seems like it is packed from 9am-4pm ever day. When do we find time to study in that case? Also how will the progression of classes go (ie will Gross Anatomy be a full year)?

With the new curriculum, what would a typical day look like? Someone posted a schedule of blocks 1-3 a few pages back. It seems like it is packed from 9am-4pm ever day. When do we find time to study in that case? Also how will the progression of classes go (ie will Gross Anatomy be a full year)?
I had the impression that the recorded lectures will be done on our time as long as they get done before any content related group sessions. So you can study in the morning, and then after 4pm you can study until whenever....I also believe that every school is more or less a 9-4pm deal, and many people like to relate med school to a 9-5pm job but instead of coming home and relaxing after 5pm, we would study. hope this helps!

Thanks. I thought most schools had class from 8am-around 12pm daily and labs or clinical cases on certain days. But I didn't think it was class 9am-4pm daily. Current students feel free to chime in please.

Thanks. I thought most schools had class from 8am-around 12pm daily and labs or clinical cases on certain days. But I didn't think it was class 9am-4pm daily. Current students feel free to chime in please.

We currently have lecture basically daily from 9-12 and some afternoon lecture with labs for microanatomy, gross, neuro, the TBLs/other group stuff is kinda mixed in with all of it. But this is stuff that you are present for. Nobody goes to lecture, which is why in part they're doing away with it..so we've also had plenty of online lectures/learning material. Everything is "scheduled" for the people who prefer seeing it layed out that way, but the new curriculum gives you more room to complete lectures and dont specify a specific time.

Should those of us still on pre-II hold expect anything? Or are they just going to be sending out rejections at this point?
+1, except I was never even put on hold. It's just been silence.

Reactions: 3 users
Should those of us still on pre-II hold expect anything? Or are they just going to be sending out rejections at this point?
Is Drexel done with interviewing? I saw that someone received an II last Wednesday.

I'm over 10 weeks out from my interview and have heard nothing, is anybody else this far along with no news?

Just curious, how many people have actually been given a decision during the 6th or 7th week post interview, it seems like the majority have waited >8weeks post interview.

The last interview date for the season was April 20th from what I saw

Is Drexel done with interviewing? I saw that someone received an II last Wednesday.
Called admission office yesterday. Last scheduled interview date is Thursday, April 20.

Called admission office yesterday. Last scheduled interview date is Thursday, April 20.
So if I haven't heard anything, just assume it's a rejection at this point?

Waitlisted. Do you think I have a chance of getting off the waitlist?

Waitlisted. Do you think I have a chance of getting off the waitlist?

I feel as though DUCOM has decent WL movement so, yes, you have a chance.
If you have MSAR, it can show you historical WL stats.

just out of curiosity, how do you feel the interview went for you?
Honestly I felt very confident about my interview and I felt my interviewer reciprocated those feelings as well. But to be fair during the day I remember them saying that your interview score is only a portion of your overall score so it could've been something else lacking in my application. I'm OOS and LM is 67

Anyone know when interviews here end? Know they prob end soon but just want closure from the last 2 schools I haven't heard from

Does anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony or Orientation is?